It’s a long-running debate: how should we regulate the internet and social media?
While sites including Facebook and Twitter allow us to share information, they’ve also become places for illegal and harmful content to thrive.
The UK now wants those firms to be more responsible.
The government will appoint its Broadcast regulator Ofcom as an online watchdog, with powers to force companies to take down certain material.
Other countries such as Germany and Australia have brought in measures to control online content.
But is regulation the answer? And can it be done without violating personal freedoms?
Presenter: Nastasya Tay
David Erdos – Deputy Director, Centre for Intellectual Property and Information Law (CIPIL) at the University of Cambridge
Eliska Pirkova – Europe Policy Analyst for Access Now, a digital rights advocacy group
Meera Selva – Director, Journalism Fellowship Programme, Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism at the University of Oxford
Source: Al Jazeera News
Queen’s track coach terminated following Scott-Thomas social media comments – Global News
A Queen’s track coach has been fired after making comments over social media about a former University of Guelph track coach who was let go due to alleged unprofessional conduct.
Steve Boyd, who has been a volunteer track coach for Queen’s since 2010 and was voted Ontario University Athletics women’s coach of the year last year, was given a termination notice Tuesday.
“I actually recorded the conversation in which I was fired and I asked for specific clarifications to what the reasons were. Three times I asked, ‘is this about Guelph, comments on Guelph?’” Boyd said in an interview on Thursday.
“And my athletic director who fired me said, ‘yes, it’s about that.’”
Boyd told Global News he was fired for a social media exchange discussing former Guelph track and field head coach Dave Scott-Thomas, once known as one of the most successful running coaches in Canada. He was let go from University of Guelph last year after a second allegation of an inappropriate relationship with a student athlete came forward.
In a statement sent to Global News Thursday afternoon, Queen’s University said the social media comments in question “follow a pattern of objectionable social media commentary spanning several years, about which he had previously been formally cautioned. Mr. Boyd failed to heed repeated warnings from the administration to stop his reckless social media activities.”
A week ago, Boyd spoke out on Facebook, after a former University of Guelph athlete posted online about her feelings on the Scott-Thomas fallout.
In an exchange with several other athletes, Boyd discussed whether Guelph’s many track titles should be “vacated,” due to allegations of sexual misconduct made against Scott-Thomas.
His argument was that Guelph’s success in track and field was due its recruitment of the best athletes, which was based, in part, on Scott-Thomas’s stellar reputation as a coach.
A University of Guelph statement released in January of this year said Scott-Thomas was suspended in 2006 following a complaint from a family member of a student-athlete Scott-Thomas was coaching.
“It determined that some misconduct had taken place and, based on details available at that time, the University suspended Scott-Thomas for four weeks,” the statement read.
In 2019, the university received another complaint, which they had a third-party investigate.
“While the 2019 investigation was ongoing, the University received new information related to the earlier investigation that made it clear that Scott-Thomas had lied repeatedly in 2006 about several significant matters,” according to the statement.
This new information led to Scott-Thomas’s firing in December, 2019.
In his Facebook comments, Boyd suggested that if Guelph had fired Scott-Thomas years earlier during the first investigation, their track team would have been vastly different over the last decade. He then questioned if the university’s many track titles garnered under Scott-Thomas’ supervision should be withdrawn.
“Had they known what Dave had done in ’06, Guelph admin would have fired him, do you think that those titles should now be vacated? How many of you would have gone to Guelph had Dave been fired in ’06?”
Boyd then suggested that if the University of Guelph was keeping the information of Scott-Thomas’ alleged misconduct from potential recruits, it would amount to “recruiting fraud, ” something he suggested might warrant a sanction from National Collegiate Athletic Association.
“Forcing programs that have won titles by fraudulent means (in this case, recruiting fraud — because recruits were unaware of a very important truth about the head coach) to vacate those titles is an established practice in the NCAA.”
Boyd also asked other Guelph athletes in the Facebook thread about their personal involvement in keeping Scott-Thomas’ alleged behaviour secret from potential recruits.
“In spite of the difficulties you and others claimed he created, and that you had to endure, many of you enjoyed the personal benefits of winning, and actively sought to enlist others to come and help you continue to win, all the while potentially exposing unwitting athletes to the abuse some of you were suffering.”
“Recruiting is, after all, a team undertaking, and recruiting is crucial to winning. What, if any, responsibility do Guelph athletes have where that is concerned?”
The Queen’s Gaels control their playoff destiny in OUA women’s hockey.
In an interview with Global News, Boyd said people reacted badly to his line of questioning, saying they thought he wanted the University of Guelph athletes to give up their titles out of a sense of rivalry with the school.
“That’s what set a lot of people off, that this re-traumatized them, because now I was devalued accomplishments and so on,” Boyd said.
In fact, it’s Queen’s University’s opinion that Boyd did just that.
“Boyd made numerous statements on social media berating and blaming student athletes who were themselves victims and which only served to re-traumatize them.”
What Boyd said he was trying to suggest was that if the university purposely ignored allegations made against Scott-Thomas because he was an excellent coach, some kind of punitive action should be taken.
“If they covered up for Dave Scott-Thomas all those years and they knew they were doing it, they were doing it because there was something of value that he had to offer them, and the value was the team titles,” Boyd said in an interview.
Boyd also told Global News that Queen’s had warned him once before that he was not allowed to speak publicly about the Scott-Thomas controversy following posts on a popular track and field forum called Trackie.
“So the first time it was after the complaint about the message board post within which I posed two basic questions like ‘Was Guelph covering up in ’06? And ‘Were they doing it again in 19,’” Boyd said.
He said the University of Guelph took screenshots of those comments and sent them to Queen’s. This, he claims, prompted his superiors at Queen’s to put a “gag order” on his public speech.
“The thing that troubled me the most about the gag order was that it was unlimited and it applied to every kind of speech. I was told I can’t leave a voicemail, I can’t send a personal email.”
Boyd said he understands that his contract may allow Queen’s to terminate him for speaking publicly about certain issues, but he doesn’t agree that what he said was grounds for termination.
“There was nothing libelous. There was nothing. I didn’t harass anyone. There was nothing distasteful.”
Boyd said he’s been receiving quite a lot of support from people in the sports community, who feel as if his termination was unwarranted.
One of those people is Brogan MacDouggall, who posted on Instagram about the firing.
“Yesterday was a sad day for running as it lost an incredible coach. Yesterday was a sad day for Queen’s University as they chose to believe the cancel-culture mob over upstanding members of the Queen’s community who excel in sport, in school and in community service,” MacDouggall wrote.
Now, Boyd says he’s hoping that Queen’s University top brass will choose to reinstate him.
“They have the power to reverse this and set the thing right. Again, I care just about my athletes. I want to be one to be able to come back and do what I want to do for them.”
— With files from Matt Carty.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
CP Rail conductor fired for social media posts awarded money, but won’t get job back – Global News
An arbitrator says a former Canadian Pacific train conductor who was fired over social media posts is entitled to monetary compensation, but not to getting her job back at the railroad.
Stephanie Katelnikoff was dismissed in November 2017 over disparaging remarks she made about the company online as well as modelling photos that were taken on railway property.
Union lawyers representing Katelnikoff argued the company’s investigation into her conduct was not fair or partial.
Arbitrator Richard Hornung says in his December decision, which was obtained by The Canadian Press, that he agreed with the Teamsters union.
He says some of Katelnikoff’s behaviour warranted a short suspension, but not a dismissal.
LISTEN: Stephanie Katelnikoff responds to CP Rail’s claim that she was fired for safety issues
However, Hornung says social media posts after her firing, especially a sexually suggestive one mentioning the CP investigating officer by name, make it untenable for her to go back to the railroad.
He says in the decision that the post “speaks volumes regarding both her lack of respect for the company and her unsuitability to return to the company as a fully participating employee.”
The union also argued at the arbitration hearing that an emailed complaint about Katelnikoff’s online posts came from a fake person the company made up to give it the pretext for an investigation. Hornung says in his decision that it’s improbable the email came from a legitimate functional address.
CP was not immediately available to comment.
Katelnikoff said in an interview that it’s now up to her union representatives and the company to try to work out an appropriate compensation amount. If they can’t agree, it goes back to the arbitrator.
She said she loved her job at the railroad and is sad she’ll likely never get to work as a conductor again. She’s now working in a shop fixing heavy equipment and trailers for a fraction of the pay.
“I’m with a really good company now so that helps take away the sting of not getting to go back to the railroad,” said Katelnikoff, 30. “At least I’m somewhere that I like and they treat me really well and they’re really understanding and progressive.”
Katelnikoff said she eventually wants to go to law school so that she can help others.
In addition to the railroad photos, CP seemed to take issue with racy pictures posted to the same Instagram account where there was a 2017 selfie of her in a work vest.
Katelnikoff said she’s tired of hearing about women getting flak for what they do outside of work.
“What a girl does in her spare time when she goes home with her life and her body isn’t anybody else’s business but her own. And if it’s not hurting anyone, then it really shouldn’t matter to the company.”
Katelnikoff’s 2017 dismissal was the second time she was let go from the railway.
On Boxing Day in 2014, a train Katelnikoff was conducting derailed, sending 15 cars off the tracks in Banff, Alta. The Transportation Safety Board determined that a broken piece of track caused the crash.
She was fired a month later. The company said it was because she violated rules on injury reporting and protecting an accident scene.
In February 2016, an arbitrator found in Katelnikoff’s favour, saying the grounds for her termination were discriminatory and in bad faith.
© 2020 The Canadian Press
Social media users claim double standard over German attack – Al Jazeera English
A deadly shooting in the German city of Hanau on Thursday by a far-right gunman sent shock waves around the world.
At least nine people were killed in a shisha bar, with foreign and German citizens among the dead. The suspect, identified as Tobias R, a 43-year-old white male, was found dead at his apartment along with his mother, according to officials.
Germany’s federal prosecutor said the suspected perpetrator’s 24-page manifesto and video messages pointed to “deeply racist views”.
Despite strong reactions from world leaders, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel, some social media users pointed out that response to the story was somewhat muted – suggesting it would’ve gained more traction had the attacker been a Muslim.
Another white supremacist terrorist murders at least 10 in Germany, yet people won’t flinch because he didn’t shout Allahu Akbar https://t.co/EDbKyf48Zm
— Omar Suleiman (@omarsuleiman504) February 20, 2020
Others pointed out why some news outlets had chosen to simply refer to the assailant as a “deranged gunman” and not a “terrorist” – or refused to describe the incident as a case of “Islamophobia”.
So a white supremacist, islamaphobe, eugenicist, incel kills mainly Kurdish Muslims in a Shisha Bar in #Hanau Germany & guess what, he’s a “deranged gunman”
No, he’s a Far Right TERRORIST
His enablers & radicalisers please note
— nazir afzal (@nazirafzal) February 20, 2020
Try imagine an attack in Germany on the Jewish community and the BBC not mention the faith of the victims or “antisemitism”?
A far right gunman (terrorist) has just attacked Shisha bars popular with Muslims. This is islamophobia and terrorism. Don’t be shy BBC.
— Steve Brookstein (@stevebrookstein) February 20, 2020
— Vikas Shah MBE (@MrVikas) February 20, 2020
United States President Donald Trump, who has been criticised in the past for his noticeably more vocal condemnation of attacks committed by Muslims, rather than those targeting Muslims, was yet to comment on the incident at the time of publication.
Peter R Neumann, a professor at King’s College London, analysed the suspect’s 24-page manifesto in which he revealed that “he hated foreigners and non-whites”.
“Although he doesn’t emphasise Islam, he calls for the extermination of various countries in North Africa, Middle East and Central Asia (which all happen to be majority Muslim).”
— Peter R. Neumann (@PeterRNeumann) February 20, 2020
There have been a number of far-right attacks in recent years in Germany, with violence rising sharply in 2015 when the country took in more than one million migrants.
The German domestic intelligence agency estimated that the number of violent crimes with far-right elements rose by 3 percent in 2018, although attacks on centres for asylum seekers fell after a spike in 2015 and 2016.
Queen’s track coach terminated following Scott-Thomas social media comments – Global News
McDavid’s return puts Ken Holland under spotlight before deadline – Sportsnet.ca
Google tests moving Android's music controls to the quick settings menu – Android Central
- Media15 hours ago
On College Campuses, Social Media Provides Private Spaces for Thousands – The New York Times
- Art23 hours ago
Toronto's Museum of Contemporary Art has found a big voice of its own – The Globe and Mail
- Economy23 hours ago
U.S. economy to dodge coronavirus blow
- Tech17 hours ago
New Android 11 feature suggests Pixel 5 might support reverse wireless charging – The Next Web
- News10 hours ago
These are the retailers closing in Canada or facing bankruptcy in 2020 – CTV News
- Health24 hours ago
One coronavirus patient in B.C. has recovered, no new cases – Vancouver Sun
- Tech20 hours ago
Source: Verizon kills Google Pixel deal, doesn't plan to sell Pixel 4a or Pixel 5 – Android Police
- News23 hours ago
St. John's senior gets letter from Canada Post — saying it's too dangerous to deliver any letters – CBC.ca