Connect with us

Media

Social media attacks on Amber Heard may have influenced jury in libel trial, her lawyer says – CBC News

Published

 on


Amber Heard was “demonized” by ex-husband Johnny Depp’s legal team and excoriated on social media during a sensational defamation trial that ended with a jury ordering her to pay Depp $15 million US, Heard’s lawyer said Thursday.

Elaine Bredehoft, one of Heard’s lead attorneys during the trial, said she believes the jury was influenced by a relentless barrage of social media posts condemning Heard and supporting Depp. She said Heard plans to appeal.

“These people were giving her death threats,” Bredehoft said on CBS Mornings. “They threatened to microwave her baby. This is the kind of social media she was getting.

“It was like a Roman coliseum is the best way to describe the atmosphere here. And I have to believe that the jury, even though they’re told not to go and look at anything, you know, they have weekends, they have families, they have social media.”

Large groups of Depp fans congregated outside the courthouse through much of the six-week trial. (Craig Hudson/The Associated Press)

Bredehoft also said some evidence that was allowed in a similar defamation lawsuit that Depp lost in the U.K. was suppressed in the lawsuit he filed in Virginia. In the U.K. case, the judge found that Depp assaulted Heard on a dozen occasions.

“We weren’t allowed to tell the jury this,” Bredehoft said on NBC’s Today show. “So what did Depp’s team learn from this? Demonize Amber. And suppress the evidence.”

Heard doesn’t have $10M she owes: lawyer

The verdict handed down Wednesday in Fairfax County Circuit Court found that Depp had been defamed by three statements in a 2018 op-ed written by Heard in which she said she was victim of abuse.

The jury awarded him $10 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages, but the judge reduced the punitive damages award to $350,000 under a state cap.

Depp’s attorneys, including Camille Vasquez and Benjamin Chew, celebrate after the verdict was read Wednesday. Depp was not in court when the verdict was read. (Evelyn Hockstein/The Associated Press)

Depp attorney Camille Vasquez said Wednesday that the verdict “confirms what we have said from the beginning, that the claims against Johnny Depp are defamatory and unsupported by any evidence.”

When asked on Today whether Heard has the money to pay the $10.35 million, Bredehoft said, “Oh, no, absolutely not.”

The jury also awarded Heard $2 million in her countersuit, concluding that she was defamed by a lawyer for Depp who accused her of creating a detailed hoax surrounding the abuse allegations.

Focus was on abuse

The case captivated viewers who watched gavel-to-gavel television coverage, including impassioned followers on social media who dissected the actors’ mannerisms, their wardrobe choices and their use of alcohol and drugs.

While the case was ostensibly about libel, most of the testimony focused on whether Heard had been physically and sexually abused, as she claimed.

Depp arrives at Sage Gateshead, Newcastle, England, where he was due to join guitarist Jeff Beck on stage Thursday. (Owen Humphreys/PA/The Associated Press)

Heard enumerated more than a dozen alleged assaults, including a fight in Australia — where Depp was shooting a Pirates of the Caribbean sequel — in which Depp lost the tip of his middle finger and Heard said she was sexually assaulted with a liquor bottle.

Depp said he never hit Heard and that she was the abuser, though Heard’s attorneys highlighted years-old text messages Depp sent apologizing to Heard for his behaviour as well as profane texts he sent to a friend in which Depp said he wanted to kill Heard and defile her dead body.

Impact on careers uncertain

Both performers emerge with unclear prospects. Depp, a three-time best actor Oscar nominee, was a bankable star until recent years, with credits including playing Capt. Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean films. However, he lost that role and was replaced in a Fantastic Beasts spinoff.

Heard’s acting career has been more modest, and her only two upcoming roles are in a small film and the Aquaman sequel due out next year.

Brett Ward, a family law attorney in New York, said Depp made himself a more believable witness by admitting he used drugs and alcohol and could be a difficult person. But, he said, Depp also ran the risk of making those moments more memorable to the public than his film work.

“He says he did this for his children. Having watched the whole trial, I don’t think that he did any service to his children by airing all of this dirty laundry,” Ward said.

WATCH | Closely watched libel trial concludes with win for Depp:

Depp wins libel lawsuit against Heard, but both sides guilty of defamation, jury finds

1 day ago

Duration 14:15

A jury has ruled that Johnny Depp and his ex-wife, actor Amber Heard, were both defamed over claims of abuse before and during their brief marriage.

Support is available for anyone who has been sexually assaulted. You can access crisis lines and local support services through this Government of Canada website or the Ending Violence Association of Canada database. ​​If you’re in immediate danger or fear for your safety or that of others around you, please call 911. 

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

NB Media Co-op is looking for a video journalist – NB Media Co-op

Published

 on


Applications are invited for the position of a full-time Video Journalist with the NB Media Co-op (one year term)

Position: Full-Time Video Journalist

Employer: NB Media Co-op

Location: Anywhere in New Brunswick (Remote)

Date Posted: July 2022

Application Deadline: Friday, July 29, 2022 at 4:00 PM Atlantic time

Salary: $25/hour, 35 hours/week

Anticipated Start Date: August/September 2022

Term:  This is a one-year term position.

Description: The NB Media Co-op is looking for an experienced reporter to work as a video journalist covering social, political and community affairs in New Brunswick.

Topics may include systemic racism in New Brunswick, migrant justice, Indigenous struggles, poverty reduction and economic justice, disability rights, queer and trans rights, and gender equity.

We especially encourage applications from journalists from under-represented groups in the media including but not limited to Black, Indigenous, People of Colour, newcomers, people with disabilities, seniors or LGBTQIA2+.

The NB Media Co-op, established in 2009, is an independent media co-operative providing news and critical commentary from our location on the stolen territories of the Wolastoqiyik, Mi’kmaq and Peskotomuhkati. The NB Media Co-op is committed to social justice journalism. Our flagship online publication is called the NB Media Co-op. We also publish a bi-monthly broadsheet called The Brief and collaborate with CHCO-TV on a political talk show called the NB debrief. 

The reporter will produce public affairs stories including stories about actions being taken by traditional and band councils, municipal, provincial and federal governments, the courts, school boards, and health authorities – as well as community and grassroots responses.

The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of video journalism, an understanding of how local issues affect residents, and a passion for storytelling and solid media production skills, especially in video. It is equally important that the candidate understands the principles of community-based media — they will collaboratively create professional quality content delivered through video, web, podcasts and social media with volunteers.

This position is funded by The Local Journalism Initiative and has been made possible by the Government of Canada, administered by The Canadian Association of Community Television Users and Stations (CACTUS).

Qualifications/Experience:

Passion for storytelling through a decolonial, anti-racist and anti-oppressive lens

  • Have a keen interest in civic issues and politics
  • Able to work independently with a high degree of self-motivation
  • Proven ability to generate story ideas
  • Experience working with audio/video, including editing
  • Experience working with volunteers
  • Experience interviewing sources for stories
  • Strong organizational and time management skills
  • A valid driver’s license
  • Willingness to work evenings and weekends when necessary
  • Excellent language skills in either French, English or both

In addition, preference will be given to candidates who:

  • Identify with an equity-seeking group. However, all qualified applicants will be considered
  • Have a demonstrated understanding, or experience with, community-based media organizations
  • Have a strong understanding of online reporting and social media, and the appropriate integration of those tools to complement video products

How to apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resumé to the NB Media Co-op hiring committee at: info@nbmediacoop.org by Friday, July 29, 2022 at 4:00 PM Atlantic time. Applications must include “NB Media Co-op – Video Journalist – Your name” in the subject line of the email. Short-listed candidates will be asked for demo reels or samples of their video work.

We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.

The NB Media Co-op particularly encourages applicants who are Indigenous, Black, or People of Colour; low-income; women; LGBTQ2S+; disabled and other equity seeking groups. If you would like, please indicate if you are a part of an equity-seeking group in your cover letter. The NB Media Co-op is an advocate for equity and is committed to ensuring representation in its community. 

Funded by the Government of Canada. Administered by The Canadian Association of Community Television Stations and Users (cactusmedia.ca).

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Media Release – July 5, 2022 – Guelph Police – Guelph Police Service

Published

 on


Charges laid for driving on closed road

A Guelph male faces impaired and dangerous driving charges after ignoring officers and driving on a closed road late Monday.

Approximately 11:45 p.m., Guelph Police Service officers were investigating a single-vehicle collision during which a light post was knocked down on Willow Road at Silvercreek Parkway North. Willow Road was blocked off during the investigation and clean-up.

A driver signalling to enter the closed portion of Willow Road was directed by officers on foot not to do so, but ignored this direction and accelerated past them. The vehicle was located at an address in the area and officers detected an odour of alcoholic beverage on the driver’s breath. He refused several demands to provide a sample of his breath.

A 34-year-old Guelph male is charged with refusing to provide a breath sample and dangerous driving. His driver’s licence was suspended for 90 days and his vehicle was impounded for seven days. He will appear in a Guelph court August 16, 2022.e

A 60-year-old Toronto male was charged with careless driving in relation to the original collision. Willow Road was closed approximately two hours while the post was replaced.

Downtown business entered

The Guelph Police Service continues to investigate a break and enter last week at a downtown business.

Sometime late Tuesday or early Wednesday, a business on Wyndham Street North near Woolwich Street was entered by prying open a front door. A 48-inch Samsung TV, computer tower and external hard drives were among the items stolen.

Anyone with information is asked to call Constable Matt Simpson at 519-824-1212, ext. 7318, email msimpson@guelphpolice.ca, leave an anonymous message for Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or leave an anonymous tip online at www.csgw.tips.

Blood trail leads to suspect

A male who injured himself breaking a window Monday evening was caught after leaving a blood trail.

Police were called approximately 7:15 p.m. to an apartment building on Silvercreek Parkway North. A male had been involved in a verbal altercation, following which he punched and broke a window in a stairwell door. The injury bled profusely, leaving a trail of blood down five floors and out of the building.

The male was located in the area and treated by Guelph Wellington Paramedic Service personnel before being transported to hospital for further care. He was later released from hospital and returned to the apartment building, where he was arrested while trying to gain entry.

A 38-year-old Guelph male is charged with two counts of mischief under $5,000. He will appear in a Guelph court August 19, 2022.

Total calls for service in the last 24 hours – 200

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

4 Takeaways From Canadiens' Pre-Draft Media Availability – The Hockey Writers

Published

 on


The 2022 NHL Draft is finally upon us as members from all 32 NHL teams begin arriving in Montreal for one of the biggest weeks on the hockey calendar. To kick off the festivities, Montreal Canadiens general manager Kent Hughes and Vincent Lecavalier, special advisor to hockey operations, met with the media on Monday to discuss the team’s plan heading into a very important few days for the future of the franchise.

Here are the highlights from the 45-minute press conference which covered a variety of topics regarding the draft and the Habs’ offseason approach.

A Three Horse Race

To no one’s surprise, Hughes continues to play a good game of poker when it comes to who the Canadiens will be selecting with the no. 1 overall pick at the Bell Centre on Thursday night. It’s not in his best interest to unveil his plans to keep his leverage in trade discussions with his colleagues. The uncertainty surrounding the first pick is suiting the Habs just fine right now.

Kent Hughes, Montreal Canadiens GM
Kent Hughes, Montreal Canadiens general manager
(Photo by Minas Panagiotakis/Getty Images)

Hughes did confirm that the decision will come down to three players: Shane Wright, Juraj Slafkovsky, and Logan Cooley. With their scouts now all together in Montreal, the plan was to meet with everyone on Monday night to ensure that each person around the table can contribute to this crucial choice as well as the overall strategy. In other words, with 72 hours to go before round one, the Canadiens still don’t know who they are taking, and the suspense lives on.

They aren’t looking to draft the best player right now, but rather who they project will be the best players four or five years down the road and help the team win when they hopefully enter their contending window. Hughes also mentioned that character would be an important factor in the decision. Beyond their talent and intangibles, they need to determine which player is most suited to handle the pressure that comes with being Montreal’s first overall pick.

#Habs Lecavalier spoke to Shane Wright and will likely do the same with Slafkovsky & Cooley. Part of the conversations are trying to determine how the prospects will deal with the pressure of being picked first overall in the Montreal market. @TSN_Edge

Lecavalier has spoken with Wright about how he is handling everything that comes with being the projected top pick and shared some words of wisdom with the 18-year-old about his own experience as a former no. 1 overall pick himself. The intention is to have the same type of conversation with Slafkovsky and Cooley before Thursday.

Hughes Keeping All His Options Open

It’s safe to say that Hughes is ready to explore any and every scenario from now until Friday, including leaving the door open to trading the first pick if an offer he can’t refuse comes his way. There’s even a chance the Canadiens could end up with both picks one and two.

Related: Who Canadiens Would Target with a Second Top-10 Draft Pick

There’s a stronger possibility that the Habs will use their plethora of selections in this year’s draft, which includes picks no. 26 and no. 33, to move up in the first round. It has been reported they are actively looking to acquire a second Top 10 pick and they have the assets to make that hope a reality.

Shane Wright Kingston Frontenacs
Shane Wright, Kingston Frontenacs (Photo by Robert Lefebvre/OHL Images)

The fact that these options are even on the table could make for an interesting week for the home team.

The Assistant Coach Search Has Begun

In other offseason business, Hughes indicated that head coach Martin St. Louis has begun speaking to potential candidates for the now-vacant assistant coach position behind the Canadiens’ bench following the departure of Luke Richardson who was recently named head coach of the Chicago Blackhawks.

Related: Canadiens’ Candidates to Replace Richardson as Assistant Coach

Hughes and executive vice president of hockey operations, Jeff Gorton will also meet with the candidates once the dust settles on the draft and free agency to determine who will ultimately be appointed.

Looking for Financial Flexibility

In addition to a successful draft, the Canadiens’ top priority this offseason is to create some financial flexibility and ease their salary cap woes. This means they’ll be looking to subtract players from their current roster before adding to it.  

It’s been well-documented that the player most likely to be moved is Jeff Petry, but Hughes said Monday that the veteran defenseman may very well be in the Habs’ lineup come October if he doesn’t get back the pieces he’s looking for. This is not the same situation as the Tampa Bay Lightning found themselves in with Ryan McDonagh, who was traded to the Nashville Predators over the weekend for a minimal return. The Habs can hang on to Petry. It might be more beneficial if they do because he’s a rare commodity and will be difficult to replace. 

Jeff Petry Montreal Canadiens
Jeff Petry, Montreal Canadiens (Amy Irvin / The Hockey Writers)

If Petry stays put, Josh Anderson, Christian Dvorak, and Mike Hoffman are all potential trade bait, but Hughes isn’t going to just give them away to save money.

Given all the intrigue surrounding the Canadiens right now, Hughes and company are well-positioned to set off a few fireworks in front of their fans later this week. After months of speculation and preparation, all that’s left is to sit back and enjoy the show.  

Melissa has been covering the Montreal Canadiens for The Hockey Writers since March of 2020. She is also THW’s Social Media & Marketing Manager as well as co-host of Chicks & Sticks, a weekly show produced by THW. In 2006, she spearheaded the social media initiatives for Tennis Canada and Rogers Cup and was the primary person responsible for their upkeep for over 10 years. She has written articles for multiple tennis websites and interviewed the likes of Roger Federer and Serena Williams. While her career in sports started in tennis, her first love has always been hockey. She has a journalism degree from Concordia University.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending