Connect with us

Business

Strang hopes students stop gathering in big groups, says ticketing an option

Published

 on

As some Nova Scotia high school students gather unmasked in big groups outside of their schools, the province’s top medical official says he wants to stick with an enforcement-light approach for COVID-19 rules, but that tickets could be issued.

Dr. Robert Strang said Public Health recommends wearing masks indoors for Grade 4 and up, and for all students on buses, but it doesn’t require masks when students are outside. However, students are supposed to practice physical distancing when in big groups, as are all Nova Scotians.

He said he’s seen images of high school students gathering outside schools in large groups without masks and little social distancing.

“This will be an ongoing challenge, but like with university students, our high school students we really need them to understand that they’re part of a wider community and they need to take the same steps as everybody else to keep not just themselves safe, but to keep everyone safe,” he said Friday.

He noted that gathering in big groups is “technically” not permitted by the public health order.

“But it’s actually just not a smart thing to do during COVID.”

Strang said if it becomes a problem in the fight against COVID-19, authorities could start ticketing high school students, as they’ve done with some university students who arrived from outside Atlantic Canada but didn’t self-isolate for 14 days.

“We always have the ability to work with our local law enforcement, like we’ve done with the universities. We can lay tickets under the public health order. But we want to take an education and co-operation approach first,” he said.

Schools ask families to reinforce distancing message

No COVID-19 cases have been reported at Nova Scotian schools, which resumed last week after a six-month hiatus caused by the pandemic.

Doug Hadley, spokesperson for the Halifax Regional Centre for Education, said the first week of school has gone well.

“Generally speaking, students are doing a tremendous job adjusting to the public health measures that are in place to support the return to school,” he said Tuesday.

He said school staff are reminding students about the public health directives such as social distancing, wearing masks and avoiding big gatherings.

“Schools have been communicating with families to reinforce these expectations, especially when students are out of school — before school, at lunchtime and at the end of the day,” Hadley said.

“We believe asking families to take a few minutes to remind students that they have an important role to play in keeping our communities and schools safe will go a long way.”

Deanna Gillis, spokesperson for the Strait Regional Centre for Education, said the return to school has gone well so far.

“As with any changes to school routines, there is a transition period and our staff are working with students to remind them about all of the public health measures that are in place,” she said.

“We will continue to educate and communicate with students and their families about the importance of following the public health measures, including the importance of wearing a mask.”

A spokesperson for the Chignecto-Central Regional Centre for Education said things had gone well there too, and they reminded students to wear a mask and physically distance.

Kristen Loyst, a spokesperson for the Annapolis Valley Regional Centre for Education, said the first week passed without any major problems.

“Students and staff are in the process of transitioning back to school routines, as well as adapting to new public health protocols, after an extended time away,” she said.

“It takes time at the beginning of the year for things to settle, and we know that communication is key to helping everyone understand expectations at school.”

She said school staff are working with students and families to encourage them to follow all of the public health measures designed to keep everyone safe.

 

Source:- CBC.ca

Source link

Business

Toronto and Peel Region enter lockdown for at least 28 days – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News

Published

 on


Premier Doug Ford is standing behind his government’s decision to suspend in-person shopping at all non-essential retailers in Toronto and Peel amid criticism from small business owners who say they are being unfairly singled out.

Toronto and Peel officially entered the lockdown stage of Ontario’s framework for COVID-19 restrictions at 12:01 a.m., on Monday. As a result personal care services, like barbers and salons, have been forced to close and restaurants can only do takeout and delivery.

Retail stores are also limited to curbside pickup only with some exceptions for grocers, hardware stores, corner stores and discount and big box retailers selling groceries.

Speaking with reporters during his regular briefing on Monday, Ford said that he knows it is “not fair” that some big box retailers like Walmart can continue to operate while smaller businesses have to shut down but he said it would have been a “logistical nightmare” to require large retailers to cordon off non-essential goods, as is the case under a similar order in Manitoba.

“I know this is not fair and that’s why we put the additional $300 million into supporting small businesses and took care of their property taxes, their energy costs,” he said. “We’re doing everything we can as a province but the quicker we can get through this, the quicker we can get this vaccine out there, then we can get people back and open up,

The Canadian Federation of Independent Business is calling on the Progressive Conservative government to allow three customers at a time into small retail stores.

Ford, however, told reporters that he is not considering any changes to the lockdown rules at this point, much to the dismay of some retailers.

“How does it make sense to shut down the small flower store but allow people to line up at Walmart to buy a bouquet of flowers? To shut down the small independent bookseller but allow them to go to Costco, line up and buy books there? How does that help prevent COVID? Never mind how fair it is,” Dan Kelly, who is the president of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, told CP24 earlier on Monday. “These rules make no sense at all.”

Kelly said that the CFIB had already forecast that 160,000 small business in Canada would close following the first wave of the pandemic and that the situation has gotten even more critical since then.

He said that something needs to be done to help shuttered retailers in Toronto and Peel and soon or more will be “toast.”

“We think we have seen a hollowing out of the retail sector but we have seen nothing compared to what will happen if they miss out on Christmas,” he warned.

Tory urges people to stay home

The province announced the added restrictions for Toronto and Peel on Friday as new cases of COVID-19 continued to surge in both jurisdictions.

In anticipation of the rules going into effect, several malls extended their hours over the weekend and there were reports of long lineups at stores.

Speaking with CP24, on Monday morning Toronto Mayor John Tory said that the strict new rules are an important, even if there is not a lot of data pointing to widespread transmission in settings like retail stores, for example.

“We don’t really know in every single case exactly where people picked up this virus, we just know it is spreading and was spreading in a fashion last week and the week before and the week before that that was clearly unacceptable in terms of the trend line we were on,” he said. “Look it is a sad day today just to see this kind of thing having to happen but again the choice was to not do these kind of things and have a much longer, much broader, much worse kind of lockdown happen latter when we had completely lost control of this thing as you have seen elsewhere in the world.”

While the lockdown will shutter a number of businesses across Toronto and Peel, schools and childcare centres will remain open as will services deemed essential like dentist offices and physiotherapists.

Several industries that were mostly brought to a halt in the spring, like film and television production and construction, are also exempt.

“I am a little bit concerned that this shutdown doesn’t focus on the largest area of spread. In Brampton our largest source of transmission is industrial settings. Our largest two sectors are transportation logistics and food processing and neither of those sectors are shut down because they are considered essential,” Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown told CP24 on Monday. “So this isn’t truly a lockdown for Brampton. Small businesses have been shut down but with the largest portion of our workforce being essential workers nothing has really changed.”

In addition to the new rules in Toronto and Peel, Durham Region and Waterloo have also been moved into the red category alongside York Region as of today. The rules for that category limit restaurants, gyms and food courts to 10 indoor patrons at a time.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Atlantic bubble bursts as P.E.I., N.L. exit coronavirus pact – Global News

Published

 on


The provincial governments of Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador announced Monday morning that they are taking a break from the Atlantic bubble as COVID-19 cases rise in the region.

The two regions backed out after Nova Scotia and New Brunswick saw an increase in cases, reporting 44 and 77 active COVID-19 cases, respectively, as of Sunday.

Read more:
N.B. asks travellers from Halifax to monitor for COVID-19 symptoms

N.L. Premier Andrew Furey said the Atlantic bubble has been a source of pride for the region, but the situation has changed.

“I have made the tough decision to implement a circuit break,” Furey said.

“As your premier, as a physician and as a concerned father and citizen, I must do what I promised: protect the best interest of the people of Newfoundland and Labrador.”

Story continues below advertisement

As of Wednesday, all travellers from the Atlantic bubble to N.L. will have to self-isolate for 14 days. Non-essential travel will not be permitted.


Click to play video 'Coronavirus: Newfoundland and Labrador implements ‘circuit break’ from Atlantic bubble, suspends all non-essential travel'



1:30
Coronavirus: Newfoundland and Labrador implements ‘circuit break’ from Atlantic bubble, suspends all non-essential travel


Coronavirus: Newfoundland and Labrador implements ‘circuit break’ from Atlantic bubble, suspends all non-essential travel

P.E.I. Premier Dennis King announced the province has made the same decision after talking to other Atlantic premiers over the weekend.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

As of Monday, the province is temporarily suspending all non-essential travel to and from P.E.I. for at least two weeks, King said.

King said he doesn’t think this is a step backward.

“I feel it is a proactive measure, a preventative step,” he said.

He said the decision is in the best interest of those in P.E.I., Canada’s smallest province.

“We have a health system that is strong, that is ready,” but King said the system has limitations. A COVID-19 outbreak may put pressure on the system, which could easily become overwhelmed.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
8 new coronavirus cases reported in N.S., largest single-day increase since May

For the next two weeks, King said he will be monitoring the situation and then decide if this break needs to be extended.

In a Monday morning statement, the Nova Scotia government said the Atlantic premiers have discussed “the need for extra caution on non-essential travel in the region.”

“Some provinces may take additional measures,” the statement read.

The Atlantic bubble began in July, and this is the first time that a member has backed out.

More to come.


Click to play video 'Coronavirus: New Brunswick breaks record for new COVID-19 case numbers'



2:16
Coronavirus: New Brunswick breaks record for new COVID-19 case numbers


Coronavirus: New Brunswick breaks record for new COVID-19 case numbers

Advertisement

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Windsor's Frank W. Begley Public School reporting 37 confirmed COVID-19 cases – CTV News Windsor

Published

 on


WINDSOR, ONT. —
A Windsor school has seen a dramatic increase in COVID-19 cases.

The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit reported on Monday there are 37 confirmed cases and two probable cases at Frank W. Begley Elementary School.

According to the province’s website, it is the largest outbreak in an Ontario school.

WECHU says 29 students and eight staff members have tested positive.The presumed index case is believed to be a staff member.

“They could be the one who spread it to the rest of the school,” says Ahmed. “It’s not to blame that index case, that this happened because they didn’t follow anything, but I think it’s just how we are trying to work through an outbreak investigation.”

Ahmed says they can’t pinpoint where the presumed index case acquired the virus. The earliest case was reported on Nov. 8.

The health unit declared an outbreak at the school on Tuesday and students and staff members were dismissed.

“Dismissing the entire school really helped us from a control perspective, so there was no ongoing spread,” says Ahmed.

He adds they are still trying to paint a picture of how the cases spread between cohorts.

Windsor Regional Hospital set up dedicated clinics for the school community to get tested.There are about 430 students and staff members at the school. The health unit says 283 students, 47 staff and 141 family members have been tested as a result of this initiative.

There is also an outbreak at W. J. Langlois Catholic Elementary School, where two students and two staff members have tested positive for the virus. The school is also closed.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending