Connect with us

Sports

The 12 best teams in world juniors history – Yahoo Canada Sports

Published

 on


The Canadian Press

Darnold decision a dilemma as Jets enter crucial off-season

NEW YORK — Sam Darnold will head into this off-season as a question mark instead of the unquestioned face of the franchise.That makes for quite the dilemma for the New York Jets. And one that won’t be easily — or quickly — solved.Do the Jets take a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft in April? Do they trade Darnold for draft picks? Do they exercise Darnold’s fifth-year contract option? Do they simply keep Darnold and see how next season plays out?The next several months will be crucial for general manager Joe Douglas in shaping the team’s future — whether or not Darnold is a part of it.“I mean, I’m a Jet now,” Darnold said Thursday. “I know we all like to think of hypotheticals and what ifs, but I’m a Jet right now and I love being here, all the guys in the locker room. And I love going to work every single day here.”The 23-year-old quarterback was the No. 3 overall pick in 2018, but has not lived up to those lofty expectations. He knows it, too, but also thinks he’s got plenty more to accomplish.“I absolutely believe my best days are ahead,” Darnold insisted.The question is where he’ll spend those days.Jets fans had been dreaming of the possibility of drafting Clemson star Trevor Lawrence until New York ended a 13-game losing streak and won two in a row. With Jacksonville locked into the No. 1 spot, the Jets will surely do plenty of scouting on the likes of Ohio State’s Justin Fields and BYU’s Zach Wilson. Whether New York thinks either of those players — or another quarterback whose draft stock rises during the next several months — is a better option than Darnold remains to be seen.There’s also this: The fifth-year option on Darnold, which the Jets will have to exercise by early May, would cost the team around $25 million and will be fully guaranteed, per the collective bargaining agreement.Oh, and one other thing to consider: Douglas is not directly tied to Darnold. Then-GM Mike Maccagnan drafted him.Darnold has shown flashes throughout his three seasons, but has also been beset by inconsistent play, bad luck (mononucleosis last season), injuries (he hasn’t started more than 13 games) and questionable coaching. Adam Gase was hired last year to provide a perfect coach-QB pairing, but that never worked out.Instead, Darnold has regressed.“I think there’s been stretches where I haven’t played nearly as well as I should have,” Darnold said, “and I’ll be the first one to admit it.”Darnold, who was selected the winner of the team’s media good guy award by the Jets chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America, has always taken accountability. Gase, however, has also shouldered the blame, saying he failed in developing Darnold to the point where there would be no doubt about the Jets’ quarterback spot right now.“Do I think we need to get better in certain spots with him? Yeah, absolutely,” Gase said. “Do I think he’s been to the point where it’s all on him? I don’t.”Aside from play calling, Gase attributes some of the struggles to the merry-go-round of receivers, tight ends and running backs Darnold has had to play with.“It’s just about the consistency, but it’s also consistency with the guys around you,” Gase said. “When you’re a young player, you need to have a nucleus of core guys around you that you can grow with, that can help you develop as a player. And at the quarterback spot, if you don’t have that it’s really tough to make the strides you need to make.”Gase is expected to be fired after the season finale at New England. Darnold said he hasn’t discussed his future with Douglas or anyone else in the organization. His focus remains on finishing the season on a high note, and that would mean beating the Patriots for the first time in his short career. That would at least put a positive on what has been a year to forget for Darnold and the Jets.“I’ve had a couple of rough seasons in high school,” Darnold said, “but this has definitely been a tough season.”Darnold’s numbers are ugly: He has just eight touchdown passes and nine interceptions in 11 games, and his 72.3 quarterback rating is the lowest in the NFL. His 58.8% completion rate is also among the league’s worst.The glimmer of hope is his play the past three games: three TD passes and no turnovers — a career-best streak.“He played clean football,” offensive co-ordinator Dowell Loggains said. “I think that’s where Sam’s growth has come the last couple of weeks is he knows that — put the cape away. You don’t need to be Superman. Execute the offence and if it’s there, take it. And if not, then throw the ball away, run, check the ball down, do those things.”No, the Jets don’t need a superhero in the huddle. They need a consistent playmaking leader.And Darnold still might be that guy.“I think, without a doubt,” Loggains said, “that he’s a franchise quarterback.”NOTES: CB Bless Austin didn’t practice as a precaution after RB La’Mical Perine was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list Wednesday. Five others who went through contact tracing — OL Chuma Edoga, DL John Franklin-Myers, CB Bryce Hall, LB Neville Hewitt and S Marcus Maye — returned to practice. … CB Javelin Guidry (knee) and WR Jeff Smith (shoulder) were limited.___More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFLDennis Waszak Jr., The Associated Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Mixed Martial Arts-Door is open for YouTube’s Paul brothers in MMA

Published

 on

Logan and Jake Paul would make great Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighters, Bellator president Scott Coker has said as he targets exhibition matches featuring the YouTube personalities such as the former’s boxing bout against Floyd Mayweather.

Logan Paul went the distance, surviving eight rounds against unbeaten (50-0) five-division world boxing champion Mayweather in an exhibition on Sunday at Miami’s Hard Rock stadium.

USA Today reported the fight brought in one million pay per view buys with $50 million generated from sales in the United States.

It was only the second fight of Paul’s career, while his brother Jake has fought in three professional boxing matches, beating former MMA fighter Ben Askren in April.

Critics have labelled the bouts a sideshow due to the lack of sporting credibility of the duo, who made their names as social media personalities and have millions of subscribers on YouTube.

However, Coker told Reuters the brothers have impressive physiques and the door is open for them to move into MMA.

“I met with Logan Paul about two years ago and I’ve spoken to Jake Paul’s manager and Jake on a zoom call recently… The one thing I said was hey, if you want to do MMA we would love to promote you guys,” the 58-year-old said in a Zoom interview.

“These guys are young, athletic, strong and you saw the fight on Sunday night these guys they came and did their work.

“Mayweather couldn’t finish him and I know he tried, I heard he wanted to knock this kid out so bad,” he added.

“When I heard both had high school wrestling backgrounds in Ohio, which is a prominent wrestling state in the U.S., it really made me interested in pursuing them in some super fights in Mixed Martial Arts – and that door is continually open.”

HEADLINE FIGHT

Bellator, owned by Viacom, is gearing up for a busy month of events, starting with Bellator 260 on Friday with the headline fight between reigning welterweight world champion Douglas Lima and the undefeated Yaroslav Amosov.

However, super fights and exhibitions are where Coker is targeting a younger audience.

“My 14-year-old niece, I told her I was going to the Logan Paul fight and she thought that was the greatest thing,” he said.

“She asked me who he was fighting and I said Floyd Mayweather and she said ‘who’s that?’ – I thought wow, she doesn’t know boxing, she doesn’t know MMA, she’s just a 14-year-old girl on the internet doing what they do.”

As the sporting world gears up for the delayed Tokyo Olympics starting in July, Coker believes MMA will feature in future Games.

“When you think about mixed martial arts, what you’re talking about is boxing, wrestling, judo, taekwondo, karate – those are all Olympic sports,” he said.

“Why wouldn’t mixed martial arts eventually get into the Olympics because six out of the seven disciplines MMA is known to use really is already there.

“There’d be a lot of details to work out but to me I think it will happen, it’s just a matter of time.”

 

(Reporting by Christian Radnedge,; Editing by Ed Osmond)

Continue Reading

Sports

Montreal will host the 2024 world figure skating championships

Published

 on

Montreal will host the 2024 world figure skating championships, the International Skating Union (ISU) said on Wednesday, after the 2020 event Canada was to host was cancelled due to COVID-19.

The championships will return to Montreal from March 18-24, marking the 11th time Canada has staged the event.

“Skate Canada has a proven track record of holding successful ISU events and we are looking forward to bringing the world’s best skaters to the fantastic Canadian city of Montreal,” said Debra Armstrong, CEO of Skate Canada, in a statement.

 

(Reporting by Steve Keating in Toronto; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne)

Continue Reading

Sports

Andreescu splits with coach Bruneau after French Open exit

Published

 on

World number seven Bianca Andreescu on Tuesday announced she has split with longtime coach Sylvain Bruneau, a week after falling in the first round of the French Open.

The pair had worked together for four years as Andreescu made her breakthrough with three titles in 2019, including the U.S. Open.

“It is with a heavy heart that I would like to inform my fans that my long time coach, mentor and friend, Sylvain and I, have mutually decided to end our incredible coaching relationship,” Canadian Andreescu wrote on Twitter

“Our friendship will live forever … I am very grateful for everything we accomplished together and all of our great memories.

“Sylvain was more than a coach… he is family.”

Andreescu, 20, returned to action at this year’s Australian Open, having missed 15 months due to a knee injury.

A positive COVID-19 test subsequently ruled Andreescu out of both Madrid and Rome before an abdominal injury forced her to pull out of Strasbourg at the quarter-final stage.

Her most recent appearance at Roland Garros ended with a 6-7(1) 7-6(2) 9-7 defeat by Slovenia’s Tamara Zidansek.

 

(Reporting by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne)

Continue Reading

Trending