The overall content of the Tesla Battery Day presentation might have been overwhelming for those who do not have a technical background in battery development. The level that Elon Musk and Drew Baglino presented relative to Tesla’s battery tech was surprisingly low, even though I’m sure they thought their presentation was just an overview.
|Elon Musk talks batteries (Source: Tesla)|
Given that, it might be a good idea to “pull the lens back” just a bit and discuss the major takeaways:
1. The holy grail of battery tech — a cost of less than $100 per kWh — will be achieved and production-ready in less three years. That means a significant reduction in vehicle cost and the real likelihood that a mass-market, $25,000 Tesla will be available in three years.
2. The technical breakthroughs and improvements presented during the battery day presentation mean that a transition away from fossil fuels for most, if not all, energy needs is no longer a pipe dream. If Tesla can achieve (and it’s likely that it will) a 3 TWh battery production capability within the next decade, the entire face of the energy and power delivery system will be transformed.
3. The new paradigm that Tesla uses for building the “machine that builds the machine” is groundbreaking, representing substantial improvement that will increase production capacity and lower production costs. Tesla used vertical integration, avoids sub-optimization, and makes the entire production process more efficient. This paradigm will bode well for Tesla’s ability to produce cars and trucks in great volume. The capital investment (CapEx) in production facilities will be less costly than originally assumed, making the company more profitable.
4. Tesla is building an increasingly bigger “moat” that will enable it to keep even the most able competitors at bay. Batteries are the pivotal element for long range, high performance and low cost EVs. From what we’ve seen, there’s no other company that’s even close to the battery tech that was previewed during Battery Day.
5. Tesla and Musk care more about the stuff that really matters — the underlying tech infrastructure for building EVs — than they do about the “bling” of new vehicle designs every n years. It’s the tech infrastructure that really matters for long-term success.
6. Tesla is not resting on its laurels. It appears that they’re working to jettison existing methods and approaches to EV design and production, replacing them with new and better ideas.
And finally … it’s hard to imagine any other CEO at a major auto company that can drive technical effort in the manner that Elon Musk has accomplished to date. Much like SpaceX, this rate of progress could accelerate in the coming years. As Musk says, Tesla is a “hardcore engineering” company … and it shows in their relentless pursuit of improvement.
AHS to lay off 428 laundry workers as it looks to outsource service – CBC.ca
Alberta Health Services is looking for contractors to take over its laundry services as the government embarks on a plan to outsource thousands of healthcare-sector jobs to private companies.
AHS issued a request for proposal on Friday seeking a contractor to assume responsibility for its remaining in-house laundry services. The move is expected to result in the layoffs of 428 full-time, part-time and casual workers. AHS and the Alberta Union of Provincial Employees both cited the figure.
The proposal comes after Health Minister Tyler Shandro detailed a plan last week by AHS to lay off up to 11,000 employees — mostly in laboratory, cleaning and food services. Those jobs will be outsourced to private companies, a recommendation contained in the Ernst & Young cost-cutting review released in February.
In a news release, AHS said the laundry transition will save money and avoid the cost of replacing its aging infrastructure.
“By reinvesting savings from initiatives such as contracting out laundry services into the health system, we can improve patient care and ensure Albertans are provided with the best possible health care,” Shandro said in a statement Friday.
About two-thirds of laundry services are currently provided by a third party, including in Calgary and Edmonton. AHS said the move will eliminate the need to spend $38 million on upgrades to its laundry infrastructure that would otherwise be immediately necessary.
AHS said it “anticipates there will be some opportunities” for employees to work with a new contractor.
The AUPE, which represents the laundry workers, said the move will upend the lives of its members based at 54 sites across the province.
“Jason Kenney wants to corrode their working conditions, pay, benefits, hours and more,” AUPE vice-president Kevin Barry said. “Privatizing laundry also results in lower quality and sometimes unsafe services as staff are forced to cut corners to create profit for the private owners.”
The deadline for proposals is Dec. 1 and AHS is expected to pick a contractor by mid-March.
Laundry service accounts for $60 million of the health authority’s $15.4-billion budget, according to the Ernst & Young review.
The report said there had been frequent staff safety “near misses and injuries” due to workarounds from equipment breakdowns. Laundry workers’ disabling injury rates are about 60 per cent higher than other AHS staff, according to the review. It estimated AHS would have to spend about $200 million on equipment and infrastructure to maintain operations.
The request for proposal says the laundry contractors will be responsible for onsite pick-up and delivery, processing, replacement, quality control and inventory management.
“A contracted model will enable a sustainable service, while eliminating risk that our outdated laundry infrastructure poses,” said AHS president Dr. Verna Yiu.
In 2015, Sarah Hoffman, health minister in the NDP government, halted an AHS-proposed plan to privatize laundry services outside of Edmonton and Calgary.
U.S. government approves alliance between WestJet and Delta, with conditions – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News
WASHINGTON, Wash. – The U.S. Department of Transportation has granted tentative approval of an alliance agreement between WestJet Airlines and Delta Air Lines.
The airlines intend to co-ordinate services, including network planning, pricing, and sales activities.
Capacity is expected to be expanded on some existing routes while some services will be introduced on new routes that will increase travel options to and from Canada.
One condition of approval is the removal of WestJet discount carrier Swoop from the alliance and the selling of 16 slots at New York’s LaGuardia Airport.
Canada’s Competition Bureau approved the joint venture in the summer of 2019.
The airline industry has struggled amid a massive drop in traffic following the COVID-19 pandemic.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 23, 2020
BlackburnNews.com – Canadian retailer to shutter operations – BlackburnNews.com
Canadian retailer to shutter operations
October 23, 2020 6:35pm
A popular women’s fashion chain is the latest Canadian retailer to fall victim to the slumping economy caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Le Château Inc., which is based in Montreal, announced Friday that it had filed a Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (CCHA) application to protect its assets, while it liquidates and winds down operations, according to a media release posted on the company’s corporate website.
The chain has 123 stores across Canada, including one at Devonshire Mall in Windsor and one at White Oaks mall in London. The company also maintains a website that serves customers in both Canada and the U.S.
In its release, the company said every effort was made to keep the company afloat.
“The retail industry faced numerous challenges due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the second wave currently hitting our communities across Canada,” the company said. “Its already evident impact on consumer demand for Le Château’s holiday party and occasion wear, which represents the core of our offering, has diminished Le Château’s ability to pursue its activities.”
There were 900 people employed in the chain’s stores, plus 500 at the head office in Montreal.
“We regret the impact this will have on our people and can assure you that we explored all options available to us prior to taking this difficult decision,” the company said. “We also thank the fashion schools and the business partners that have been part of our legacy and wish them continued success in keeping Montréal the fashion centre of Canada. Most importantly, we thank the millions of Canadians whom we have had the privilege of serving over the past six decades.”
There is no word on when the stores will close.
4 new coronavirus outbreaks in B.C., including 2 at private businesses – CTV News Vancouver
When it comes to investing, don't believe everything you see on TV – TheChronicleHerald.ca
Cape Breton University to honour physician and real estate tycoon – TheChronicleHerald.ca
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Health15 hours ago
Stepping up: A B.C. doctor spreads the word about treating alcohol dependence with medication – The Globe and Mail
- Art16 hours ago
Bruce Springsteen and the Art of Aging Well – The Atlantic
- Real eState19 hours ago
Real estate confidence barometer resets from Q2 – REMI Network – Real Estate Management Industry Network
- Tech23 hours ago
Huawei Mate 30E Pro makes quiet debut with Kirin 990E chipset – GSMArena.com news – GSMArena.com
- Sports16 hours ago
Wentz rallies Eagles to win over Giants – TSN
- Media23 hours ago
InvestorChannel's Media Watchlist Update for Thursday, October 22, 2020, 16:30 EST – InvestorIntel
- Media21 hours ago
The Canadian Ethnic Media Association Celebrates its 42nd Annual Awards for Journalistic Excellence in a Vibrant Virtual Production – Canada NewsWire
- Media20 hours ago
National media calling for level playing field with Google, Facebook – Campbell River Mirror