Connect with us

Business

The EV range race intensifies – Driving

Published

on


Ever pull up behind a Tesla and see that target painted on the rearend? Okay, there isn’t a literal bull’s-eye there, but for most every automaker — particularly the luxury ones — Tesla’s premium models are firmly in their sights.

Last year Porsche unveiled the dual-motor Tayca Turbo S, its first series production electric car and one that heralds the beginning of a steady stream of EVs snaking out of Stuttgart. The benchmark in that class is the Tesla Model S.

Audi will bring to European markets its all-new E-tron and E-tron Sportback this fall, and just this past week news out of Ingolstadt indicates there will be dual motor versions of each, sporting the S badge and, as my colleague Graeme Fletcher reported, a mighty 717 lbs.-ft of torque.

And now Mercedes-Benz has leveled its engineering prowess at Tesla’s much admired range, with Daimler chairman Ola Kallenius promising that the 2021 Mercedes-Benz EQS will have a full-charge range north of 700 kilometres. That’s using the Euro WLTP rating system, so it remains to be seen how that will translate into an EPA rating. Typically, EPA range ratings are some 10 to 20 per cent less than WLTP ones.

Tesla’s long-range Model S is the EPA gold standard of 402 miles (647 km), and while Kallenius didn’t mention Tesla by name during his speech to shareholders — during which he dropped the news about that 700-km range — it’s clear that the Southern California EV maker is the prime competition for the EQS. The luxury sedan will be the first Mercedes built on the EVA all-electric architecture.

Most of you are likely too old to remember, as am I, but back in the Sixties the Big Three had a similar obsession with numbers during the muscle car heydays. Only instead of trying to eke out as much driving range from a battery pack, that battle was about cranking out as much horsepower as possible.

Am I the only one who sees the irony here?

Plugged In Podcast

Electrify Canada is opening 32 public fast-charging stations in four provinces by the end of 2020. In our final episode of Season 2, we talk with company COO Robert Barrosa

Plugged In is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, and Google Podcasts.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

COVID-19 Bulletin #150 – news.gov.mb.ca

Published

on


Need More Info?

Public information, contact Manitoba Government Inquiry: 1-866-626-4862 or 204-945-3744.

Media requests for general information, contact Communications Services Manitoba: 204-945-3765.

Media requests for ministerial comment, contact Communications and Stakeholder Relations: 204-945-4916.

Twitter Feed

Quick Links

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Ontario adds 151K new jobs in July, majority are part-time positions – CTV Toronto

Published

on


TORONTO —
Ontario added 151,000 new jobs in July, the country’s national statistics agency said, but the majority of them were part-time positions.

After losing more than one million jobs in a three-month time span following the declaration of the COVID-19 pandemic, Ontario added about 378,000 jobs in June. In July, employment in the province grew by 2.2 per cent.

The Labour Force Survey (LFS) released on Friday, which used the week of July 12 to 18 as a sample, said that businesses and workplaces across Canada have continued to reopen after being shuttered due to COVID-19 restrictions. At the same time, the survey was conducted while much of the province was still in Stage 2 of Ontario’s economic reopening plan.

“Although public health restrictions had been substantially eased in most parts of the country—with the exception of some regions of Ontario, including Toronto—some measures remained in place, including physical distancing requirements and restrictions on large gatherings,” Statistics Canada said.

Of the 151,000 jobs added in Ontario, Statistics Canada said that about 145,000 were part-time positions. The agency attributed that number to the fact that part-time workers were hit hardest by the shuttered economy months ago.

“This was due to a number of factors, including part-time work being more prevalent in industries that were most affected by the COVID-19 economic shutdown, namely retail trade and accommodation and food services.”

Ontario’s unemployment rate has now fallen to 11.3 per cent, down from 12.2 per cent the previous month.

In Toronto, employment also rose by about 2.2 per cent, with close to 26,000 jobs added in the city. Statistics Canada says that employment in Toronto has now reached 89.9 per cent of its February, pre-COVID-19 level.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford posted a brief message on social media Friday afternoon saying he was happy to see the July labour numbers.

“What I love are the job numbers today, 150,000 people going back to work, the premier said in a video on Twitter, noting that there is still work to do to rebuild the province’s economy.

“That is great news for the people of Ontario.”

About 419,000 jobs were gained across Canada in the month of July, reducing the national unemployment rate to 10.9 per cent. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

16 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Manitoba Saturday – Global News

Published

on


Manitoba public health officials announced 16 new cases of COVID-19 in the province Saturday.

That brings the total number of cases in Manitoba to 507.






2:05
Coronavirus: Should Walmart, other big-box stores make its customers wear masks?


Coronavirus: Should Walmart, other big-box stores make its customers wear masks?

The province said Manitoba has now performed 100,074 tests for COVID-19 with 1,263 lab tests completed on Friday. The test positivity rate for Manitoba is 1.23 per cent.

Story continues below advertisement

The active caseload is 148 with 351 people considered recovered.

Nine people are in hospital due to the virus with three of those in the intensive care unit. The number of deaths attributed to the virus remains unchanged at eight.

Health officials say 12 of the new cases are from the Prairie Mountain health region and four are from the Southern health-Sante Sud health region.

While case investigations are ongoing, the province says a majority of today’s cases appear to be linked to known clusters in the Brandon area or close contacts.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending