Connect with us


'They can't continue to deny us': Northern leaders react to Teck Frontier's project withdrawal –



Northern leaders are responding to the decision from Vancouver-based Teck Resources Ltd. to withdraw its application for its Frontier oilsands mine project south of Fort Chipewyan, Alta.

The federal government was slated to make a decision this week on whether to approve the $20-billion, 260,000-barrel-per-day Frontier project.

On Sunday, Teck Resources cited the ongoing debate over climate policy in Canada as among factors for its decision to halt the approval process. The company did not explain what economic benefits would have been brought to the N.W.T., or if the decision to withdraw was influenced by opposition from the South Slave region.

Smith’s Landing First Nation Chief Gerry Cheezie, who is among the leaders in the Northwest Territories who showed opposition to the project, said he was happy to hear the news.

Cheezie previously said his community wasn’t consulted, and that contaminants from the mine could enter the water supply and N.W.T. communities would feel the downstream effects of the mine. He wanted the N.W.T. government to step in.

If you can’t attract investment capital into Alberta, the chances are less so for the North.– Doug Matthews, Energy analyst

“Government and industry … have got to understand that we have rights — legal rights — that have been fought for and won in the Supreme Court,” he said.

He said he cancelled the rally planned for Tuesday outside the Legislative Assembly. Instead, Cheezie said he plans to write a letter to the N.W.T. premier and cabinet and request a meeting to discuss how to deal with these kind of projects with Indigenous governments.

Teck’s Frontier oilsands project was planned for northern Alberta. The company pulled its application for the project on Sunday. (CBC News)

He said this fight, along with other Indigenous leaders opposing projects on their land, is the “start of a new era.” 

“Indigenous governments are giving the signal to government that they can’t continue to deny us and ignore us, or these things will continue to happen until our grievances are being settled,” Cheezie said, pointing at the rail blockades sparked by arrests of protestors on Wetʼsuwetʼen First Nation territory earlier this month.

In a statement, Dene National Chief Norman Yakeleya commended Teck’s decision, calling the Frontier project a “lightning rod for all the concerns about the health of the Mackenzie River Basin.”

Yakeleya added that despite Teck’s withdrawal, water management and protection remains an ongoing concern for
Indigenous people.

“This is no time to get complacent,” Yakeleya’s statement reads in part.

‘People still have to put food on the table’

Chief April Martel of K’atl’odeeche First Nation near Hay River, N.W.T., who supported Cheezie, said she was pleased to hear the process was halted but thinks northern leaders have to create a plan to participate in the regulatory process in the future. 

“We’re very excited that the process has stopped,” she said. “You need to be, you know, 10 steps ahead of them.”

“Get all your ducks in a row. Get everything checked, you know, make sure you have a plan in place right now … With everything that’s going on, it might move forward again.”

N.W.T. MLA Frieda Martselos said she thinks there needs to be stronger federal leadership. (Mario De Ciccio/Radio-Canada)

N.W.T. MLA for Thebacha, Frieda Martselos, the former chief of Salt River First Nation, said the decision bodes poorly for the Canadian economy. 

“When major projects are withdrawn, it has bearing on the economy,” Martselos said.

She said a move like this affects the “little guys more than the big guys.”

“The way things are going in Canada, we’re not going to have [an] economy. Nobody’s going to want to come to invest here,” she said. “That’s kind of scary because people still have to put food on the table.”

Martselos said she thinks there needs to be stronger federal leadership. 

Damaging to potential investments

Doug Matthews, an energy analyst who has spent much of his career in the energy sector with the N.W.T. government, said it’s not surprising that the company “pulled the plug” — since the company has indicated in the past that the project may not be economical.

Given the federal government’s looming decision, Matthews said the move may have been a strategy for the company to take control of either a potentially damaging federal refusal to approve the project, or an approval that could potentially be later plagued by lawsuits.

When it comes to what it means for future investments for northern Canada or the country as a whole, Matthews said that it it could be bad news.

“We’ve shown as a country we just can’t get a project done — whether it’s a pipeline, whether in this case it’s a mine, it’s just not possible. That means investment dollars will not be flowing into the country and that’s a problem,” he said.

It could be even more difficult for companies in the territories, he added.

Teck Resources has withdrawn the application for its new Frontier oilsands mine. The federal government was supposed to decide on the $20-billion project this week.  2:42

“If you can’t attract investment capital into Alberta, the chances are less so for the North,” he said.

Matthews said the situation could be an opportunity for industry and environmentalists to come to terms with the other.

“The development industry, the resource industry need to get with the program in terms of environmental damage,” he said.

“At the same time environmentalists have to get with the program that wind power does not generate resource revenues.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link


Toronto continues investigation into cause of massive power outage – CP24



Hydro One says it will take “several days” to repair hydro lines that were damaged after an upright crane in the lake slammed into them and caused a massive power outage downtown on Thursday.

The outage occurred in the city’s financial district at around 12:30 p.m., leaving approximately 10,000 customers without power at its peak.

A portion of the Eaton Centre was left in the dark, forcing hundreds of stores to temporarily close. The outage also knocked out power in parts of the Hospital for Sick Children’s campus.

Traffic lights were down in some intersections causing heavy traffic and significant streetcar delays. However, the outage did not affect subways.

Toronto Fire said crews responded to a number of elevator rescues, but no injuries connected to the outage were reported yesterday.

Hydro One says the outage was caused when a barge moving an upright crane in the Port Lands area hit overhead high voltage transmission lines.

“Now, what happened when that crane hit the line resulted in a downstream effect where a surge of power affected a nearby station on the Esplanade that we were actually using to reroute power to Toronto Hydro,” Hydro One Spokesperson Tiziana Baccega Rosa told CP24 Friday morning.

The City of Toronto says the barge was being operated by a subcontractor to Southland-Astaldi Joint Venture (SAJV), which is a contractor for the Ashbridges Bay Treatment Plant outfall project.

Crews were reportedly preparing to move equipment into the lake for the project when the incident occurred.

“We’re going to use stone that needs to be placed out in the lake and the subcontractors were going to do that work for us but they were moving equipment. The event occurred off-site while they were doing their preparatory work,” Lou Di Gironimo, Toronto Water’s general manager told CP24 Friday.


Baccega Rosa said Hydro One crews were able to reroute about 50 per cent of the power shortly after the incident, which resulted in power being restored in some areas quicker than others.

Crews then had to stop their efforts and wait for the fire department to clear the site for workers to safely enter and reroute the rest of the power.


Once crews gained access, they were able to reroute all power to Toronto Hydro and power was fully restored downtown by 8 p.m.

Baccega Rosa said there are established safety protocols to stay a minimum of 10 metres away from power lines, which were not followed yesterday.

“And that’s (for) anyone whether, you know, you’re a barge passing under them (power lines) or if you’re doing work around your house and you need to trim the tree branches around the line connecting your home. You know, everyone was very lucky yesterday that there was not a safety incident and no one was hurt as a result of this,” she said.

The city has launched an investigation into the incident and has requested a full report from SAJV to understand what happened.

“So the big thing that we’re going to look at is what happened? Who was in charge of the subcontractor work? What were the safety procedures in place at the time? And then what exactly happened when the crane hit the wires?,” Di Gironimo said.

Di Gironimo could not confirm if the subcontractors will face any consequences for the incident.

“That will be part of the investigation to find out what happened. What were those precautions that were supposed to be in place. What was followed? What wasn’t?”

He said the city is meeting with SAJV next week and plans to complete the investigation within a matter of weeks.

Adblock test (Why?)

Source link

Continue Reading


B.C. couple still owes $19M despite bankruptcy, appeal court rules – Business in Vancouver



B.C. couple still owes $19M despite bankruptcy, appeal court rules – Economy, Law & Politics | Business in Vancouver

Adblock test (Why?)

Source link

Continue Reading


​Rogers, Shaw formalize planned Freedom sale to Quebecor – BNN Bloomberg



Columnist image

Rogers Communications Inc., Shaw Communications Inc. and Quebecor Inc. announced Friday they reached a definitive agreement for the previously-announced proposed sale of Shaw’s Freedom Mobile wireless business.
The three companies said that the terms of the definitive pact are “substantially consistent” with their original announcement on June 17, when they said Montreal-based Quebecor agreed to pay $2.85 billion to purchase Freedom. Originally, July 15 was the target to reach the definitive agreement.  

“We are very pleased with this agreement, and we are determined to continue building on Freedom’s assets,” said Quebecor president and chief executive officer Pierre Karl Péladeau in a release Friday. “Quebecor has shown that it is the best player to create real competition and disrupt the market.”
The transaction is conditional on Rogers receiving final regulatory approvals for its planned $20-billion takeover of Shaw, which was announced in March 2021.
The road to regulatory approval has become more treacherous for Rogers after Competition Commissioner Matthew Boswell stated his objections to the plan, warning it would diminish competition in the telecom market, notwithstanding Rogers’ long-stated intent to divest Freedom Mobile.
Rogers’ legal counsel has argued vociferously against Boswell’s claims, saying in a June 3 filing with the Competition Tribunal that Boswell’s stance “is unreasonable, contrary to both the economic and fact evidence presented to the Bureau, and not supportable at law.”
The Competition Tribunal is currently scheduled to begin a hearing on the matter Nov. 7.
Rogers also has to clear another regulatory hurdle: its planned acquisition of Shaw requires approval from Innovation, Science and Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, who has previously said he won’t allow the wholesale transfer of Shaw’s wireless assets to Rogers.
The process became more complicated for Rogers after a national network outage knocked out service to its customers in early July.

Champagne subsequently said the outage would “certainly be in [his] mind” when weighing the merit of the Shaw sale.
For its part, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Communications announced its conditional approval of the transaction in March.
Shaw investors have consistently demonstrated skepticism that the deal will go ahead as planned, as evidenced by its shares never once attaining the $40.50-per-share takeover offer from Rogers since the takeover was announced last year.

Adblock test (Why?)

Source link

Continue Reading