Connect with us

Sports

Tiger Woods fighting to return after car crash severely injured leg – Toronto Sun

Published

 on


Article content

Picture an injured Tiger Woods hobbling to the yard of his Florida home just to feel the touch of grass on his skin.

Advertisement

Article content

“Sometimes I’d just crutch and lay on the grass for an hour because I want to be outside,” Woods told Golf Digest‘s Henni Koyack in a 40-minute interview released Monday.

That happened. So did the car crash. So did the 10 surgeries before the accident. So did the 2019 Masters win. So did the 82 PGA Tour wins. So did everything else that seemed impossible to imagine before Woods came along.

In his first public appearances since the February collision, Woods described what it was like spending three weeks in the hospital, and three months in a hospital bed at home following the crash that threatened to have his right leg amputated.

“It’s hard to explain how difficult it has been just to be immobile for the three months, just lay there and I was just looking forward to getting outside,” Woods said from the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas on Tuesday. “That was a goal of mine. Especially for a person who has lived his entire life outside, that was the goal.”

Advertisement

Article content

Now back on his feet, but admittedly in pain simply sitting for his first press conference since the accident, Tiger’s future goals on the golf course were made slightly more clear. In Monday’s interview with Golf Digest, Woods said his days as a full-time tour player are unequivocally over, but didn’t rule out playing select events much like Ben Hogan did following his 1949 car crash.

“After my back fusion, I had to climb Mount Everest one more time,” he said. “I had to do it, and I did. This time around, I don’t think I’ll have the body to climb Mount Everest and that’s OK.”

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

On Tuesday, Woods reiterated his plan, strongly hinting that another limited comeback is indeed in the cards.

“To ramp up for a few events a year as I alluded to yesterday as Mr. Hogan did, he did a pretty good job of it, and there’s no reason that I can’t do that and feel ready,” he said.

Advertisement

Article content

That comment immediately had people jumping to guess where he might make his return. Will it miraculously be two weeks from now at the 36-hole, cart-friendly, father-son PNC Championship where he looked so happy with son Charlie last year? Perhaps it will be the Masters in April, or the Open Championship at St Andrews in July?

“I would love to be able to play that Open Championship, there’s no doubt about it,” he said. “Physically, hopefully I can. I’ve got to get there first.”

There’s a big difference between preparing for a hit-and-giggle event with his son and taking on the best in the world at a major championship. And for the first time in his life there is reason to believe his desire to climb the mountain has waned.

Advertisement

Article content

“I don’t foresee this leg ever being what it used to be, hence I’ll never have my back what it used to be, and clock’s ticking,” he said. “All that combined means that a full schedule and a full practice schedule and the recovery that it would take to do that, no, I don’t have any desire to do that.”

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

Throughout both interviews, what jumps out is how at peace Woods seems with his current situation. Even before his accident, there was a sense that the game’s most intense competitor had found joy in finally taking his foot off the gas pedal. The Tiger we’ve seen following his unlikely 2019 Masters win, and this week, seems happy to wrap himself in the warm blanket of nostalgia. He was asked if it’s hard to potentially have his career ended by injury and not on his own terms.

Advertisement

Article content

“No, it’s very easy, given the fact that I was able to come back after the fusion surgery and do what I did,” he said. “I got that last major and I ticked off two more events along the way.”

Who are we to argue?

What we’re witnessing is Tiger happy to see a future that he can enjoy. In many ways this fulfilled Tiger is the one we blamed him for not being his entire life, despite secretly admiring the never satisfied cut-throat version that perpetually ran himself into the ground.

Turning 46 at the end of the year, the golf world is hoping for another grueling comeback attempt, but there’s one last person who needs convincing.

“We had a talk within the family, all of us sat down and said if this leg cooperates and I get to a point where I can play the tour, is it OK with you guys if I try and do it. The consensus was yes,” he said. “Internally, I haven’t reached that point. … I haven’t decided whether or not I want to get to that point. I’ve got to get my leg to a point where that decision can be made. And we’ll see what happens when I get to that point, but I’ve got a long way to go with this leg.”

From your back, laying on the ground, nothing looks bigger than a mountain. In the months ahead we’ll find out how badly Tiger wants one last glimpse of how small the world looks from the top.

Advertisement

Comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask you to keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Chiefs’ Tyrann Mathieu suffers concussion on opening drive vs. Bills – Sportsnet.ca

Published

 on


KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Kansas City Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu has been ruled out for the remainder of Sunday’s divisional-round game against the Buffalo Bills after suffering a concussion while trying to make a tackle on the opening drive.

The Chiefs had held the Bills to fourth-and-2 at midfield when Allen took off on a designed run. Mathieu went low trying to tackle the 240-pound quarterback and his helmet collided with the knee of teammate Jarran Reed.

Mathieu was checked briefly in the blue sideline tent before he was taken to the locker room.

Allen converted that fourth-down run, then the Bills converted again on fourth-and-goal at the Kansas City 1 to take a 7-0 lead in a rematch of last year’s AFC title game won by the Chiefs.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Beijing introduces more COVID measures as cases mount before Olympics

Published

 on

Beijing‘s city government on Sunday introduced new measures to contain a recent outbreak of COVID-19, as China’s capital continued to report new local cases of the virus less than two weeks before it hosts the Winter Olympic Games.

Nine locally transmitted cases were found in Beijing on Jan. 22, the National Health Commission said on Sunday, of which six were in the city’s Fengtai district.

Fengtai will organise nucleic acid tests for COVID-19 for all of its residents on Sunday, district health authorities said.

Authorities have asked residents of “risky areas,” including a neighbourhood of Fengtai, to not leave the city, a local government spokesman said at a Sunday news conference, adding that Fengtai residents have been asked to avoid mass gatherings.

Beijing city has also asked residents to proactively conduct nucleic acid tests if they find themselves with COVID-19-like symptoms within 14 days of receiving any deliveries from overseas, local authorities said in a statement dated Saturday.

Authorities have suggested Beijing’s first case of the Omicron variant of the novel coronavirus could have arrived via a package from Canada.

In Fengtai, some kindergartens have told parents that children who have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 will not be able to attend, two parents told Reuters.

Reuters could not determine whether the requirement is a government regulation or the kindergartens’ own rules.

A mother surnamed Wang, whose child attends at a private kindergarten in Fengtai, said a teacher told her on Friday that unvaccinated children will not be allowed to return from Monday citing new government regulations, without providing Wang any official documents.

“This is not on a voluntary basis. This is coercion,” Wang told Reuters. She said she has filed a complaint with authorities in the hope of having the requirement removed.

Reuters could not reach local authorities for comment on a non-business day.

Mainland China reported 56 new COVID-19 cases on Jan. 22, down from 63 a day earlier, the National Health Commission said.

Of the new cases, 19 were locally transmitted, versus 23 a day earlier, it said.

The number of new asymptomatic cases, which China does not classify as confirmed cases, fell to 34 from 43.

There were no new fatalities, leaving the death toll at 4,636.

As of Jan. 22, mainland China had confirmed 105,603 cases.

(Reporting by Yingzhi Yang, Roxanne Liu, Jing Xu and Ryan Woo in Beijing; Editing by William Mallard and Christopher Cushing)

Continue Reading

Sports

ECHL's Jacksonville Icemen release Jacob Panetta after Jordan Subban calls out racist gesture – The Athletic

Published

 on


The ECHL’s Jacksonville Icemen released defenseman Jacob Panetta on Sunday after South Carolina Stingrays defenseman Jordan Subban said he was subjected to a racist gesture during Saturday’s game. The league suspended Panetta indefinitely, pending a hearing under the league’s collective bargaining agreement.

Later Sunday, Panetta released a response on Twitter, tagging Subban and captioning the video, “racism has no place in this world and no place in the game we love.” He said the gesture he made toward Subban was a “tough-guy, bodybuilder-like” one during a confrontation on the ice. He also said he’s made the same gesture to “non-racialized players a number of times” in his career.

Subban said Panetta made monkey gestures in his direction. His brother, New Jersey Devils defenseman P.K. Subban, later tweeted a video of the incident, which occurred 23 seconds into overtime.

“More like (Panetta) was too much of a coward to fight me and as soon as I began to turn my back he started making monkey gestures at me so I punched him in the face multiple times and he turtled like the coward he is,” Jordan Subban tweeted after the game.

In his video, Panetta said “no racist slurs, noises, or anything of the like, were said by me during the incident.” While he said there were no racial intentions behind the gesture, Panetta apologized for the “pain and suffering and anger my actions have caused him, his family, and everyone that was hurt by this.”

“I acknowledge the impact of my gesture and will commit to better understand the impact going forward,” Panetta said. “Those who know me understand (it) was not intended to be racial, it is not who I am, it is not how I have been raised.

“But at the same time, I need to and I will learn from this. Racism and other forms of discrimination have no place in society, including hockey. I believed that before, and I still believe that now.”

Panetta’s release is “effective immediately” and the investigation is still ongoing at the league level, Jacksonville said in a statement.

South Carolina president Rob Concannon said the club is “disgusted and appalled” by Saturday’s incident.

“Our organization stands in support of our friend and teammate, Jordan, as well as the other players who continue to deal with racism and discrimination. This behavior has to stop and is unacceptable.”

The NHL also issued a statement Sunday, saying it “will continue to make its resources available to the hockey ecosystem to educate and inform, with the goal of making the game welcoming and safe for all players and fans.”

“Incidents of racism, whether they occur in hockey or anywhere else, are abhorrent,” the league said.

Later Sunday, the Devils released a statement backing the Subbans. “We stand in support of Jordan, P.K., the Subban family and anyone who has experienced discrimination within our sport,” team said. “This week’s racist acts within the hockey community are unacceptable and have no place in the game or anywhere.”

On Friday, the San Jose Barracuda of the AHL suspended forward Krystof Hrabik 30 games for using a racial gesture during a game earlier this month.

(Photo: Brett Carlsen / Getty Images)

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending