Connect with us

Sports

Tokyo Olympics postponed until 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic – CityNews Vancouver

Published

on


TOKYO (NEWS 1130) – Japan’s Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe, and IOC President Thomas Bach have reached an agreement to postpone the Olympics until no later than the summer of 2021.

Abe said on Tuesday that Bach agreed “100 per cent” with the decision to postpone the event amid the COVID-19 pandemic and risks.

The Summer Olympics had been one of the last major international sporting competitions to not postpone or cancel in light of the coronavirus outbreak, despite concerns for health and a number of qualifying events being scrapped.

The postponement comes after a chorus of criticism aimed at the IOC’s response to the pandemic.

On Sunday, the Canadian Olympic Committee announced it would not be sending athletes to the Summer Games if they went ahead as scheduled and began this July.

“This is not solely about athlete health – it is about public health,” Team Canada said in a statement Sunday. “With COVID-19 and the associated risks, it is not safe for our athletes, and the health and safety of their families and the broader Canadian community for athletes to continue training towards these Games. In fact, it runs counter to the public health advice which we urge all Canadians to follow.”

Team Canada became the first to announce it would not attend the Games amid the outbreak, and support from athletes, the public, and even Prime Minister Justin Trudeau followed.

While he said the decision was heartbreaking, Trudeau noted it was the right thing to do.

Australia also said it would not be sending its athletes to the Games in July.

Meanwhile, former athlete and six-time Olympian Hayley Wickenheiser applauded the postponement, saying it was the “best case scenario given the circumstances.”

“The message athletes deserved to hear. To all the athletes: take a breath, regroup, take care of yourself and your families. Your time will come,” she added.”

-With files from Lisa Steacy and Renee Bernard

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Young, Paul to headline H-O-R-S-E field starting Sunday on TSN – TSN

Published

on


Chris Paul of the Oklahoma City Thunder and Trae Young of the Atlanta Hawks will headline the field of NBA, WNBA and NBA alumni in a H-O-R-S-E challenge beginning Sunday night on TSN.

Catch it beginning at 7:00 p.m. ET/5:00 p.m. PT on TSN2, TSN.ca, the TSN App and on TSN Direct.

Other members of the field include former WNBA star and Naismith Hall-of-Famer Tamika Catchings, WNBA All-Star Allie Quigley of the Chicago Sky, Zach LaVine of the Chicago Bulls, Mike Conley of the Utah Jazz as well as retired stars Paul Pierce and Chauncey Billups.

ESPN’s Mark Jones will serve as the event’s host.

The challenge will be held in tournament format, with the quarter-final round happening this Sunday and the semifinal and final round taking place the following Thursday.

Sunday’s quarter-finals will see Young take on Billups, Catchings face Conley, LaVine against Pierce, and, finally, Paul match up with Quigley.

State Farm will donate more than $200,000 on behalf of the participants to charities focused on coronavirus relief efforts.

Here is the complete broadcast schedule for the tournament.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Report: Paul, Young headline HORSE field – TSN

Published

on


The NBA and ESPN’s plan to televise a HORSE competition is nearing completion according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

Among those expected to participate are Oklahoma City Thunder point guard Chris Paul, Atlanta Hawks guard Trae Young and Chicago Bulls guard Zach LaVine. Wojnarowski adds the competition will include a couple of WNBA players and recent NBA alumni.

More to come. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Tom Brady opens up about marital problems with Gisele Bundchen – Canoe

Published

on


American football superstar Tom Brady was forced to reevaluate his career priorities after his supermodel wife Gisele Bundchen made it clear she was no longer “satisfied” with their marriage.

The couple, which shares two children, celebrated its 10th wedding anniversary in 2019, but the former New England Patriots quarterback reveals the two hit a rocky patch in the lead up to the relationship milestone, as the Brazilian beauty became frustrated with Brady’s intense focus on football and his other non-sporting endeavours.

During a candid chat with U.S. shockjock Howard Stern on Wednesday, Brady explained, “There was a couple years ago, she didn’t feel I was doing my part for the family (sic).

[embedded content]

“She felt like I would play football all season and she would take care of the house, and then all the sudden when the season would end, that I’d be like, ‘Great, let me get into all my other business activities. Let me get into my football training.’ And she’s sitting there going, ‘Well, when are you going to do things for the house? When are you going to take the kids to school and do that?’ And that was a big part of our marriage. I had to, like, check myself. Because she’s like, ‘I have goals and dreams too.’”

Bundchen, who retired from the fashion runway in 2015, even detailed her unhappiness in a “heartfelt” letter to her husband, which made Brady realize he needed to make a “big transition” to get their marriage back on track, which included attending therapy sessions and skipping off-season organised team activities with the Patriots.

“She wasn’t satisfied with our marriage,” Brady confessed. “So I needed to make a change in that.”

“What worked for us 10 years ago won’t work for us forever,” he added. “We’re growing in different ways.”

The new Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback also opened up about how his life plan to settle down and start a family after his football retirement was turned upside down in 2007, when his ex-girlfriend, actress Bridget Moynahan, learned she was pregnant shortly after they split.

“I didn’t want to have kids or get married until my late 30s, that was the plan,” the athlete, now 42, recalled. “I remember thinking, ‘I don’t want anything to get in the way,’ once my football career kind of got rolling.”

Moynahan gave birth to their son Jack later that year – while Brady was dating his now-wife Bundchen, and the sportsman admits the tricky situation was tough to navigate for all involved.

“That challenged me in a lot of ways,” he said. “It was hard for my wife and for my son’s mum because she didn’t envision that either.”

The trio eventually found a way to co-parent together, and Brady is proud of the person his eldest son is becoming, describing Jack as “the greatest 12 year old you could envision”.

He is also dad to 10-year-old Benjamin and seven-year-old daughter Vivian with Bundchen.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending