Connect with us

Business

Trudeau, Legault announce $693M investment for Quebec aerospace industry – Global News

Published

 on


Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was in Montreal Thursday, where he met with Premier François Legault as he continued his campaign-style tour of Quebec.

The pair announced a joint investment of up to $693 million help relaunch the aerospace industry which is among the top three leaders in the world representing some 60,000 direct jobs across the country.

The federal government is expected to pitch in $440 million with Quebec making up the difference.

“This financing will allow Bell Textron Canada, CAE and Pratt & Whitney Canada to continue to innovate and discover new markets,” Trudeau said.

Trudeau touted the province’s know-how when it comes to aerospace.

He harkened back to humble beginnings 115 years ago when Percival Reed made Quebec’s first plane in a garage on Ste-Catherine’s Street.

“Things have changed since then but not the desire to innovate,” Trudeau said, adding the province is one of the rare places in the world able to not only conceive and build a planes from A to Z, on top of flying and certifying them.


Click to play video: 'Quebec aerospace industry gets major financial boost'



2:08
Quebec aerospace industry gets major financial boost


Quebec aerospace industry gets major financial boost

Trudeau also lauded the sector’s innovation when it comes to green technology.

“The world’s greenest model of airplane is the Airbus A220 — a Quebec plane,” he said, “but we have to continue to solidify our place as world leader in aerospace.”

The joint investment is expected to allow for the creation and maintenance of 12,000 “good paying jobs” and 6,200 internships for students.

It will also secure “the industry’s long-term future in Canada,” Trudeau said, “by developing green aviation projects and more clean technologies. Some of these technologies will take decades to develop so there is absolutely no time to waste.”

Legault specified it was 1,000 new jobs that would be created with annual salaries over $80,000.

“It’s excellent news,” he said

Legault pointed to the importance of encouraging students to study in the field because the creation of high-paying jobs isn’t enough in and of itself if you don’t have the qualified workers to fill those positions.

Read more:
The privilege of pandemic private jets. How wealthy Canadians travelled during COVID-19

The prime minister acknowledged the aerospace sector was in need of a boost.

It was hard-hit by the pandemic as air travel ground to a halt as countries closed their borders to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus.

The prime minister noted that the industry isn’t only comprised of big players, but smaller businesses too and announced the launch of the aerospace regional recovery initiative to help support their recovery.

“Whether it’s projects to lower your carbon footprint or support for AI solutions to better manage your inventory, we’re here to help your business innovate,” Trudeau said, adding the program was ready to receive applications as of Thursday.

The government will be investing an additional $250 million over three years countrywide in the project, with $100 million slated for Quebec.

Thursday’s announcement was well received with various stakeholders chiming in.

“We can only approve such an initiative,” said Renaud Gagné, the head of Unifor Quebec, in a written statement.

The union said the help was a long time coming with the union — which represents 3,000 members at Pratt & Whitney and CAE — making repeated calls to both levels of government for additional support.

While Gagné said the union was still examining the details of the deal he stressed the importance of not only supporting the industry but of making sure jobs stay in the province.

The Manufacturiers et Exportateurs du Québec, an association of manufacturers, also welcomed the news.

“MEQ is delighted with the large participation of the manufacturing sector in this announcement, which will promote a green recovery, which will strengthen the Canadian aerospace sector and which will have a positive impact on several Quebec companies,” said MEQ CEO Véronique Proulx.

Like the premier, she noted the success of such an endeavour rests on having the necessary skilled labour to fill the new positions.

“Success will therefore depend on increasing the immigration thresholds, improving vocational training programs and improving the temporary foreign worker program,” she said.

The prime minister began his day by visiting a COVID-19 vaccination clinic in Montreal’s Saint-Michel neighbourhood, in a bid to encourage more people to get vaccinated.

Read more:
Trudeau announces $25M for expansion of wind power plant in Quebec’s Gaspé region

Thursday’s visit comes on the heels of a $25-million investment for the expansion of General Electric’s LM Wind Power plant in Gaspé that produces rotor blades for windmills.

The $170-million project is expected to create 200 new jobs and maintain 380 existing jobs.

Trudeau also announced support for upgrades to the wharf at the Port of Cap-aux-Meules in the Îles-de-la-Madeleine and said Ottawa is withdrawing plans to transfer the port to a lower level of government.

Trudeau once again quelled rumours of an upcoming federal election, defending himself against what many perceive as campaigning.

“In an election campaign, you make promises about what you plan to do if you are elected,” he said. “This list of projects and announcements is the job of a good government.”

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

New Brunswick to move to Green phase on July 30; reports three new COVID-19 cases Friday – CTV News Atlantic

Published

 on


HALIFAX —
New Brunswick will move into the Green phase of its recovery plan on July 30, lifting all public health restrictions and opening the province to travel, Premier Blaine Higgs announced Friday.

“This morning, Cabinet and the all-party cabinet committee on COVID-19 agreed that New Brunswick’s mandatory order will not be renewed on July 30. This will lift all mandatory travel and public health restrictions that have been in place since the pandemic began,” said Higgs during Friday’s news update.

As of 11:59 p.m. on July 30, the following restrictions will be removed in the province.

  • Lift all mandatory travel and public health restrictions that have been in place over the course of the pandemic.
  • Lift all provincial border restrictions; provincial border checks will cease, and registration will no longer be required to enter New Brunswick from anywhere in Canada.
  • Lift all limits on gatherings and the number of people within facilities. Capacity limits in theatres, restaurants and stores will no longer be required.
  • End the requirement to wear face masks in public.

“We came to this decision because we have reached our goal of 75 per cent of our eligible population having received their first vaccine, and are now at 81 per cent,” said Higgs on Friday. “We know that there will be new cases, but thanks to the amount of people that are already vaccinated, we do not think that our health care system will be threatened.”

As of midnight on July 30, all provincial border restrictions will be lifted, provincial border checks will cease, and registration will no longer be required to visit New Brunswick from anywhere in Canada.

However, travellers will still be subject to Canada’s federal restrictions on International travel.

“We will be living with COVID-19, so we encourage New Brunswickers to continue to practise protective health measures such as hand-washing, coughing in your elbow, staying home when sick and wearing a mask if you so choose,” said Dr. Jennifer Russell, chief medical officer of health. “This virus is still with us and we should all expect to see cases as normal travel returns. If you have symptoms, get tested.”

During Friday’s news update, Higgs and Russell emphasized that some facilities and businesses may choose to maintain their own policies on protective health measures, even after restrictions are lifted. 

“When we move to Green, not everyone will feel ready to jump back into life as if nothing happened. We all will have to adapt to this new environment in our own way,” said Higgs. “For some, the return to normal will be at a fast pace. Others may want to ease out of the safety measures we have been surrounded by for so long. There is no right way to do this. Everyone must do what feels best for them while remaining safe.”

THREE NEW CASES ANNOUNCED FRIDAY

New Brunswick is reporting three new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, along with one recovery, as the active number of cases in the province rises to 10.

Two of the new cases were identified in the Saint John region (Zone 2), involving two people ages 19 and under, are both related to travel.

One new case was identified in the Fredericton region (Zone 3), involving an individual in their 20s, and remains under investigation.

New Brunswick has had 2,350 cumulative cases of COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic.

In total, 2,293 people have recovered, and 46 people have died in the province from COVID-19.

There is currently no one hospitalized in New Brunswick due to COVID-19.

“We are approaching having one-million COVID-19 vaccines in the province, a very important milestone in our fight against the virus for our province and the country,” said Russell. “While we are well on our way to getting as many New Brunswick’s vaccinated as we can, we must remember that the COVID-19 virus still exists and can still spread. While case numbers have been low, we are still encouraging anyone having symptoms to make an appointment to get tested.”

On Thursday, 727 tests were conducted in the province. A total of 376,470 tests have been conducted since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of cases is broken down by New Brunswick’s seven health zones:

  • Zone 1 – Moncton region: 490 confirmed cases (six active cases)
  • Zone 2 – Saint John region: 300 confirmed cases (two active cases)
  • Zone 3 – Fredericton region: 449 confirmed cases (two active cases)
  • Zone 4 – Edmundston region: 754 confirmed cases (no active cases)
  • Zone 5 – Campbellton region: 185 confirmed cases (no active cases)
  • Zone 6 – Bathurst region: 133 confirmed cases (no active cases)
  • Zone 7 – Miramichi region: 39 confirmed cases (no active cases)

THOUSANDS OF VACCINE APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE

In a release issued Tuesday, New Brunswick health officials say there are thousands of first and second dose Pfizer and Moderna appointments available at regional health authority clinics and participating pharmacies.

Vaccination clinics are taking place every day this week with appointments available in each region. New Brunswickers who have yet to be immunized with two doses of vaccine are encouraged to book an appointment through a participating pharmacy or at a Vitalité or Horizon health network clinic.

New Brunswick’s COVID-19 online dashboard provides an update on the amount of vaccines that have been administered to date.

As of Friday, 997,798 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in New Brunswick. The province says 81.2 per cent of the eligible population has received at least one dose, with 62.7 per cent now fully vaccinated.

All eligible New Brunswickers can book their second dose appointments if at least 28 days have passed since their first dose.

To receive their second dose, New Brunswickers are asked to bring a signed consent form, their Medicare card and a copy of the record of immunization provided after receiving their first dose.

Appointments for people who have not yet received their first dose continue to be available to all New Brunswickers aged 12 and older at regional health authority clinics and through participating pharmacies.

Public Health is also reminding New Brunswickers to keep a copy of their Record of Immunization form as their official proof of vaccination.

YELLOW LEVEL REMINDER

All of New Brunswick remains under the Yellow level of recovery under the province’s order, which will be lifted effective 11:59 p.m. July 30.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

International passengers at Pearson airport may have to line up by vaccination status – The Globe and Mail

Published

 on


International travellers arriving at Canada’s largest airport may now be funnelled into different customs lines based on their vaccination status.

Toronto’s Pearson International Airport says it may be splitting passengers coming from the U.S. or other international destinations into vaccinated and partially or non-vaccinated queues.

A spokeswoman for the Greater Toronto Airports Authority says it’s a measure to help streamline the border clearance process since there are different requirements for both sets of travellers.

The Vancouver International Airport has instituted a similar policy.

Canada’s travel restrictions for vaccinated and unvaccinated people, explained

Fully vaccinated Canadian citizens and permanent residents are now able to skip a 14-day quarantine.

As of Aug. 9, fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and permanent residents will be allowed into Canada, followed by the rest of the world on Sept 7.

Ontario reported 170 new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday and three more deaths.

In Toronto, there were 44 new cases, with another 26 in Peel Region, 17 in Hamilton, 15 in the Region of Waterloo and 13 in Grey Bruce.

The numbers were based on 19,131 tests.

There were 132 patients in intensive care with critical COVID-related illness and 86 on ventilators.

More than 124,000 doses of vaccines were administered in the previous day, for a total of more than 18.8 million.

Of the 170 new cases, 122 of them are in people under age 40, while just one of the new cases is in someone 80 or older.

Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Toronto Pearson Airport begins separating arrivals based on vaccination status – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News

Published

 on


International passengers arriving at Toronto Pearson Airport will now be separated by vaccination status before heading through customs, the airport confirmed Saturday.

“Passengers entering Canada from the U.S. or another international destination may be split into vaccinated and non/partially-vaccinated queues prior to reaching Canada Customs,” Beverly MacDonald, Senior Advisor of Communications at Toronto Pearson told CTV News Toronto Saturday,

The airport said the decision was made to help streamline border clearance, as there are different entry requirements for vaccinated and non- or partially-vaccinated travellers.

Currently, fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada may qualify for certain exemptions to quarantine and testing requirements, while non- or partially-vaccinated travellers will not qualify for exemptions to quarantine and testing requirements.

Come Aug. 9, fully vaccinated U.S. citizens will be exempt from quarantine and testing requirements, much like their Canadian counterparts.

“We know that the arrivals experience is different for passengers than it was in pre-pandemic times, and we appreciate passengers’ patience,” MacDonald said.

Pearson isn’t the first Canadian airport to implement this strategy. Vancouver International Airport has also begun separating arrivals by vaccination status, installing signs directing vaccinated and non- or partially- vaccinated travellers into separate customs lines.

Recently, Ontario Premier Doug Ford shut down the idea of “vaccine passports” — proof of vaccination intended to help streamline international travel.

“The answer is no, we’re not gonna do it. We’re not gonna have a split society,” Ford told reporters last week.

However, the Ontario COVID-19 Science Advisory Table issued a 21-page briefing on the potential of a provincial vaccine certification program Wednesday, claiming that one “could be useful in reopening higher-risk settings … sooner.”

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending