Connect with us

Health

UK PM Johnson disappointed Valneva COVID-19 shot did not gain approval

Published

 on

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Wednesday he was disappointed that Valneva‘s COVID-19 vaccine had not gained approval in Britain, two months after the government cancelled a supply deal worth 1.4 billion euro ($1.57 billion) for the shot.

Health minister Sajid Javid had said commercial considerations played into the decision, but added it was clear Valneva’s shot would not be approved in Britain.

His statement was later corrected to say that the shot had not gained approval and may not gain it.

Valneva said in a statement it hoped for approval by the end of the year and was working with the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), the independent medicines regulator.

The MHRA said Valneva had initiated a rolling review, which was ongoing.

“Due to commercial confidentiality we are unable to provide details of our review,” a spokesperson said.

Johnson told lawmakers on Wednesday he was “personally very disappointed when we couldn’t get approval for the Valneva vaccine in the way that we had hoped”.

“What we are doing is investing massively in this country’s vaccine capability across the country so that we are prepared for the next pandemic and I very much hope that Valneva will be part of that,” he said.

Before cancelling the supply deal in September, Britain had secured options for hundreds of millions of doses of the vaccine and earlier this month, Valneva secured a 60 million dose supply deal with the European Commission.

“We regret the decision made by HMG (UK government) to end the UK Government’s supply contract with Valneva, and remain hopeful that HMG will seek an amicable resolution,” the Valneva statement said.

($1 = 0.8929 euros)

(Reporting by Alistair Smout, editing by Elizabeth Piper, Paul Sandle and Barbara Lewis)

Health

RELEASE: COVID concerns at Signal Brewery – Quinte News

Published

 on


Hastings Prince Edward Public Health (HPEPH) is advising individuals who attended Signal Brewery (Corbyville) between November 19 – December 4 that they may have had an exposure to COVID-19. HPEPH is in the process of investigating multiple cases of COVID-19 that were present at the restaurant during this time frame. Signal Brewery has closed voluntarily while the investigation is underway.

All individuals who attended Signal Brewery between November 19 – December 4 are:

  • Advised to seek testing immediately for COVID-19, even if you do not have symptoms.
    • Book an appointment online for the Belleville or Trenton testing centre. You can also call 613-961-5544).
    • For other testing options, please visit hpepublichealth.ca/getting-tested-for-covid-19/
    • When seeking testing, please provide investigation number 2238-2021-51372 to the testing centre.
  • Monitor closely for symptoms of COVID-19.
  • If symptoms develop, even mild ones such as a runny nose or sore throat, isolate at home and away from others, and seek testing again, even if you were negative the first time.

While HPEPH does not typically disclose the location of COVID-19 cases in order to protect individuals’ privacy, this information is disclosed when needed to meet public health objectives such as prompt notification of potential contacts and reducing the risk of further transmission. HPEPH is in the process of contacting identified high-risk contacts related to these cases. All high-risk contacts will be instructed by HPEPH to self-isolate immediately and to get tested.

“I am urging individuals who attended Signal Brewery on these dates to seek testing, even if they do not have symptoms, in order to protect those around them,” says Dr. Ethan Toumishey, Acting Medical Officer of Health at HPEPH. “All residents are asked to remain vigilant and protect one another – and this includes getting tested if advised, staying home and getting tested if you have symptoms, and limiting your close contacts. If you are not vaccinated, get vaccinated as soon as possible.”

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

WECHU issues additional COVID-19 measures | CTV News – CTV News Windsor

Published

 on


The Windsor Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) has issued a letter of instruction, aiming to address a surge in COVID-19 cases.

With cases of COVID-19 climbing steadily in the past month, local health officials say they are once again putting in place restrictions to curb the spread of the virus.

According to the health unit, the updated letter addresses the key settings associated with COVID-19 transmission identified through ongoing case investigations, which have identified social gatherings as an area of significant concern.

In particular, the revised Letter of Instruction contains the following additional measures:

  • Social gatherings limited to 10 people indoors and 25 outdoors.
  • Added measures for wedding receptions and the social events tied to funerals and religious services.
  • Limiting indoor capacity for bars and restaurants to 50% of their total occupancy.
  • Strict adherence to face covering requirements in all public settings.

Without further intervention, WECHU Medical Officer of Health Dr. Shanker Nesathurai believes cases can reach levels similar to those seen at the same time last year.

“We are very worried that we are already seeing this surge of cases in advance of the holiday season and its associated social gatherings,” said Nesathurai. “Immediate action needs to be taken by all residents to address the known sources of transmission which are social gatherings, both in homes and in the community.”

The updated changes go into effect at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, Dec. 10. 

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

INQUINTE.CA | Health unit warns of COVID exposure at Signal – inquinte.ca

Published

 on


IQ In Your Inbox


Get the stories you need to know, Monday through Friday.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending