Nearly 90 per cent of Sarnia-Lambton residents surveyed about the effects of COVID-19 are taking preventative safety measures such as physical distancing seriously, but a large segment – about 40 per cent – also believe the media is exaggerating the extent of the outbreak.
VICTORIA (NEWS 1130) — Police in Victoria are asking possible victims of sexual abuse involving a local tattoo artist to contact their Special Victims Unit.
No charges have been recommended, but Carne Tattoo posted a message online Monday confirming an artist was let go for his “betrayal of young women” and references an incident dating back to 2019.
Other social media posts indicate the alleged abuse was initially reported in 2019.
After seeing reports on social media, Victoria Police ask anyone who might have experienced “sexualized violence” during tattoo appointments to get in touch.
“We want everyone in those threads who have experienced sexualized violence to know that if you report what you’ve experienced to our Special Victims Unit detectives, you will be listened to, you will be treated with respect, and you will be believed,” reads a statement from police.
“If you do think that you may want to consider a criminal process, it is important to know that for potential future court processes, it is best that you provide your statement to the police prior to speaking to any media outlets or posting details of your story publicly on social media. This is to ensure that your statement belongs to you and you only.”
The Instagram account of a man identified as the artist has been taken down.
To speak to a detective, call the non-emergency line at 250-995-7654 and select extension 1 for the report desk. Or, reach out to the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre at 250-383-3232, if you aren’t sure about getting in touch with police.
Editor’s note: The screenshots in this article have been edited to hide the name of the tattoo artist because he has not been charged.
Liberty U's Falwell takes leave after social media uproar – The Tri-City News
RICHMOND, Va. — Jerry Falwell Jr. agreed Friday to take an indefinite leave of absence as the leader of Liberty University, one of the nation’s top evangelical Christian colleges, days after apologizing for a social media post that caused an uproar even among fellow conservatives.
The private university in Lynchburg, Virginia, gave no reason for Falwell’s departure in a one-sentence announcement late Friday afternoon. But it came after Falwell’s apology earlier this week for a since-deleted photo he posted online that showed him with his pants unzipped, stomach exposed and his arm around a young woman in a similar pose.
The statement said the Executive Committee of Liberty’s board of trustees, acting on behalf of the full board, met Friday and requested that Falwell take leave as president and chancellor, “to which he has agreed, effective immediately.”
An early and high-profile supporter of President Donald Trump, Falwell has served since 2007 as president of the university founded by his evangelist father, the late Rev. Jerry Falwell.
He did not immediately return a call seeking comment. University spokesman Scott Lamb said he had no further comment.
In an interview this week with Lynchburg radio station WLNI, Falwell said the woman in the photo was his wife’s assistant and that the picture had been taken during a “costume party” while on vacation.
“Lots of good friends visited us on the yacht,” the caption of the photo said, in part. “I promise that’s just black water in my glass. It was a prop only.”
He said the woman — who also had her midriff exposed — was pregnant, couldn’t get her pants zipped and he imitated her, saying it was all in “good fun.”
“I’ve apologized to everybody, and I’ve promised my kids … I’m going to try to be a good boy from here on out,” he said in the interview.
On Thursday, Republican U.S. Rep. Mark Walker of North Carolina, a pastor who has previously taught at Liberty, called Falwell’s behaviour “appalling” and said he should resign.
In addition to Walker, some pastors who graduated from Liberty spoke out earlier this week calling for a change in leadership at the school. Mark Davis, a Texas-based pastor, tweeted that “the name of Christ and the reputation of Liberty will continue to be dishonoured” without action against Falwell by the board. Colby Garman, a pastor who has served on the executive board of the Southern Baptist Convention of Virginia, tweeted on Monday that it was “bewildering” to see Falwell maintain the board of trustees’ support. He responded to Friday’s news with appreciation.
“How is this Jerry Falwell Jr. photo even real?” tweeted conservative TV personality Meghan McCain, daughter of the late U.S. Sen. John McCain. “Also if you’re running the largest Christian university in America maybe don’t put photos of yourself on social media with your pants undone on a yacht — with random women in bad wigs. So gross, so hypocritical.”
The late Falwell founded Liberty in 1971 with just 154 students. Under the leadership of Falwell Jr., who is an attorney and not a minister, Liberty has grown into a leading evangelical university, with an immaculate campus and a significant endowment. Students must follow a strict code of conduct that includes modest dress and a ban on alcohol consumption.
In recent years, Liberty has served as a regular speaking spot for ambitious Republicans looking to court the young evangelical vote. U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz kicked off a presidential campaign there in 2015.
Falwell was among the earliest Christian conservatives to endorse Trump’s previous election campaign. In late 2016 he told The Associated Press that Trump had offered him the job of education secretary but that he turned it down for personal reasons.
The vacation photo was the most recent in a string of controversies Falwell has faced in recent years, in both his role at Liberty and his personal life.
Last year, he settled a federal lawsuit in Florida over a real estate venture that involved a young Miami pool attendant, a case that drew national attention.
He more recently sparred with Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam and local officials in Lynchburg over his handling of coronavirus restrictions. He also faced stinging criticism from a group of Black alumni who said he should step down after he mocked Virginia’s mask-wearing requirement in a tweet by invoking a blackface scandal that engulfed Northam last year. He later apologized.
Associated Press writers Alan Suderman and Elana Schor contributed to this report.
Four in 10 Sarnia-Lambton residents believe media exaggerating COVID-19: survey – Sarnia Observer
Nearly 90 per cent of Sarnia-Lambton residents surveyed about the effects of COVID-19 are taking preventative safety measures such as physical distancing seriously, but a large segment – about 44 per cent – also believe the media is exaggerating the extent of the outbreak.
An official from Lambton public health, the agency overseeing one of the regions that’s been hardest hit by the pandemic on a per-capita basis, said this attitude could be concerning.
“While we have seen good adherence to public-health measures overall and this has helped to limit community spread in the past couple months, the sustainability of this is a concern if people don’t take it seriously,” Crystal Palleschi, a health protection supervisor, wrote Friday in an email.
When asked during the survey if the media had exaggerated the extent of the coronavirus outbreak, 17 per cent of respondents said they “strongly agree” while another 27 per cent indicated they “somewhat agree.” Men, at 49 per cent, and younger adults aged 18 to 35, at 52 per cent, were more inclined to agree, the survey suggested.
The results of the survey, commissioned by Lambton public health and conducted by market research firm Ipsos between May and June, were released Thursday. Officials said it suggested the majority of residents have followed public-health guidelines, but many have also experienced negative emotional, social and financial impacts because of the pandemic.
A total of 800 residents of Lambton County were surveyed between May 21 and June 10 using landlines and cellphones. The margin of error associated with sample size of 800 is plus or minus 3.5 per cent, 19 times out of 20.
Dr. Sudit Ranade, Lambton’s medical officer of health, wasn’t available Friday but in a statement said, “the results provide greater insight into the key challenges being faced and the strengths our community has demonstrated in response to COVID-19.”
Some key findings health officials pointed to include certain people, such as the unemployed, workers making lower wages or those with poor mental health, are more vulnerable to the pandemic’s negative impacts. One in four participants stated their mental health has changed or worsened since the virus arrived locally.
“Certainly mental health was a concern before the pandemic, so the added pressures it places on many individuals continues to be a concern,” Palleschi said.
While 90 per cent of people were adhering to physical distancing and avoiding large social gatherings at the time of the survey, it also suggested about 40 per cent were eager to return to their pre-pandemic lifestyle.
“So the sustainability of that high level of adherence is the question,” Palleschi said. “As we reopen, it’s still important to physically distance, to limit your social circle and to wear a mask where required or you are unable to physically distance.”
Sarnia has mandated masks for indoor public settings through a bylaw and Petrolia is considering the same, but it’s only encouraged and not compulsory throughout the rest of Lambton County.
As of Friday afternoon, the local caseload remained steady at 319, with 17 of them active. Following a surge of 15 new cases one week earlier and a couple more over the long weekend, there hasn’t been a positive test in several days.
A total of 277 cases were resolved and 25 people have died, but none since June. About 1.7 per cent of the 18,485 tests have come back positive.
Bluewater Health, with hospitals in Sarnia and Petrolia, hasn’t had a COVID-19 patient in about two months.
Canaccord Genuity Group Inc. Statement Regarding Recent Media Coverage – Canada NewsWire
TORONTO, Aug. 7, 2020 /CNW/ – Canaccord Genuity Group Inc. (TSX: CF) (the “Company”) provides an update to its shareholders regarding a recent news story published by a leading provider of financial and industry news.
The Company’s policy is that it does not comment on market rumours or speculation.
The Company regularly explores opportunities to strengthen the value of its business. We are proud of the value that all of our businesses have created and are fully committed to their success. We remain focused on our stated strategy of operating our business for long-term stability and enhancing value for our shareholders.
All shareholders and prospective investors are encouraged to rely only on information provided by the Company in its ongoing disclosures, which are available on the Company website and on SEDAR.
ABOUT CANACCORD GENUITY GROUP INC.
Through its principal subsidiaries, Canaccord Genuity Group Inc. (the “Company”) is a leading independent, full-service financial services firm, with operations in two principal segments of the securities industry: wealth management and capital markets. Since its establishment in 1950, the Company has been driven by an unwavering commitment to building lasting client relationships. We achieve this by generating value for our individual, institutional and corporate clients through comprehensive investment solutions, brokerage services and investment banking services. The Company has wealth management offices located in Canada, the UK, Guernsey, Jersey, the Isle of Man and Australia. The Company’s international capital markets division operates in North America, UK & Europe, Asia, Australia and the Middle East.
Canaccord Genuity Group Inc. is publicly traded under the symbol CF on the TSX.
SOURCE Canaccord Genuity Group Inc.
For further information: Investor and media relations inquiries: Christina Marinoff, Vice President, Investor Relations & Communications, Phone: 416-687-5507, Email: [email protected], www.cgf.com/investor-relations
Liberty U's Falwell takes leave after social media uproar – The Tri-City News
DrDisrespect says he has “no idea” why Twitch banned him in first YouTube stream – Polygon
COVID cases surge in Alberta as 134 confirmed Friday – Lethbridge News Now
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019 – report – MINING.com
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Sports20 hours ago
Brock Boeser pays tribute to late friend with goal in Canucks’ win – Sportsnet.ca
- Sports11 hours ago
Jets’ Scheifele suffered Achilles injury, Laine a hand injury vs. Flames – Sportsnet.ca
- Media18 hours ago
Unifor to begin negotiations August 12th with Detroit Three automakers
- Art18 hours ago
MacKenzie Art Gallery’s new CEO focused on fostering relationships with all Sask. communities
- Sports19 hours ago
Tiger Woods, Brooks Koepka shine in opening PGA round
- Sports6 hours ago
Ticket sales now open for tonight's Edmonton Oilers 50/50 draw – Edmonton Journal
- Sports18 hours ago
Scoring chances are no fluke
- News20 hours ago
Canada adds 374 new covid19 cases, 4 deaths on Thursday