- Health officials to provide update on COVID-19 numbers at 3 p.m. PT.
- Sale of alcohol in restaurants, bars and retail stores is ordered to stop at 8 p.m. on New Year’s Eve, and can resume at 9 a.m. on New Year’s Day.
- There were 485 new cases of COVID-19 in B.C. on Wednesday and 11 more deaths.
- 379 people are in hospital, with 77 in intensive care.
- A total of 14,027 people in B.C. have received one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine so far.
- Moderna vaccine doses have arrived in 10 isolated B.C. communities.
In a bid to prevent the spread of COVID-19 on the last night of the year, B.C. health officials have ordered restaurants, bars and retail locations to stop selling alcohol at 8 p.m. PT on New Year’s Eve.
Liquor sales can resume as of 9 a.m. on New Year’s Day.
Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix held a last-minute teleconference on Wednesday to announce the order and urge B.C. residents to stick to their households as they usher in the new year.
Current restrictions on social gatherings and events are in effect until Jan. 8, meaning rules must be followed on New Year’s Eve.
On Wednesday, B.C. recorded 485 new cases of COVID-19 and 11 more deaths.
There are currently 7,551 active cases in the province, of which 379 people are in hospital, including 77 who are in intensive care.
Also on Wednesday, Interior Health confirmed the number of COVID-19 cases linked to the community cluster at Big White ski resort had risen to 111.
Fewer people getting tested over holidays
B.C. has seen a downward trend in cases seen since restrictions on events and social gatherings took effect across the province late last month.
However, officials suspect that a lower number of tests completed over the holidays might be driving lower case counts in the last week.
Meanwhile, Henry confirmed on Wednesday that vaccines produced by Moderna have arrived in 10 isolated and high-risk areas in B.C.
There are also two new health-care outbreaks, at Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Langley Memorial Hospital long-term care.
Mandatory negative test needed to travel to Canada
The federal government announced Wednesday that air passengers entering Canada will soon need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test before arriving in the country.
Under the new protocol, travellers must receive a negative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test within a 72-hour period prior to boarding a plane. Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc said he expects the new rule will be in force within a week.
The measure does not replace the federal government’s mandatory 14-day quarantine period.
- A 24-year-old Vancouver man spent Christmas night in jail after repeatedly hosting parties that violated COVID-19 public health orders.
- A British Columbia mom who gave birth while in an induced coma because of COVID-19 says she was released from hospital just in time to spend Christmas at home with her family, and calls the experience “surreal.”
- Some members of B.C.’s hospitality industry say stopping liquor sales after 8 p.m. on New Year’s Eve is an unfair last-minute blow to bars and restaurants.
What’s happening elsewhere in Canada
On Wednesday, Canada’s COVID-19 death toll hit 15,472, according to the Health Canada dashboard.
As of 8 p.m. PT Wednesday, Canada’s total case count was to 572,982.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
Common symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath.
- Loss of taste or smell.
But more serious symptoms can develop, including difficulty breathing and pneumonia.
What should I do if I feel sick?
Use the B.C. Centre for Disease Control’s COVID-19 self-assessment tool. Testing is recommended for anyone with symptoms of cold or flu, even if they’re mild. People with severe difficulty breathing, severe chest pain, difficulty waking up or other extreme symptoms should call 911.
What can I do to protect myself?
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly. Keep them clean.
- Keep your distance from people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Wear a mask in indoor public spaces.
- Be aware of evolving travel advisories to different regions.
More detailed information on the outbreak is available on the federal government’s website.
Five key takeaways from Canada's latest COVID-19 projections – Virden Empire Advance
OTTAWA — The federal government’s latest COVID-19 projections show fast, strong and sustained measures are required to interrupt rapid growth cases and deaths.
Here are five things to know from federal modelling data released Friday:
The number of deaths related to COVID-19 is steadily rising, reaching more than 17,500 as of Thursday. The latest data show another 2,000 people could die by Jan. 24 as the seven-day average number of deaths nears levels recorded at the peak of the pandemic’s first wave in May.
Canada could see 10,000 daily infections in a little over a week as outbreaks in Ontario and Quebec drive rapid growth. The data also highlight high numbers in B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The latest seven-day average was 7,900 cases each day across the country.
In the longer term, Ottawa says Canada remains on a “rapid growth trajectory.” The data show COVID-19 will continue to surge if Canadians maintain the current number of people they’re in contact with each day. The pandemic would surge faster if people increase their contacts. Outbreaks are forecast to come under control in most locations if people follow public health rules and limit contacts to essential activities.
Outbreaks in Long-term Care
Infections are escalating among high-risk people aged 80 and older. The data show more outbreaks in long-term care homes and retirement residences now than during the first wave. The federal government says the number of active outbreaks is underestimated due to reduced reporting last month, while a modelling chart shows it’s close to 400 countrywide.
The number of people in hospital due to COVID-19 has been rising steadily in the five hard-hit provinces. Hospitalizations are highest per capita in Manitoba, followed by Alberta, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Ontario and B.C.
The data came as federal officials revealed deliveries of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine have been temporarily reduced due to production delays in Europe.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 15, 2021.
Quebec to wait up to 90 days for 2nd vaccine dose – Winnipeg Free Press
MONTREAL – Quebec will wait up to 90 days before giving a COVID-19 vaccine booster to people who have received a first shot, Health Minister Christian Dube said Thursday.
That delay goes far beyond the recommendation of vaccine manufacturers Pfizer and Moderna, which propose intervals of 21 and 28 days, respectively, and is more than double the 42-day maximum delay proposed by Canada’s national vaccine advisory committee.
Dube told a news conference that the decision was made in order to vaccinate as many vulnerable people as possible and to reduce the pressure on the health system.
“In our context, this is the best strategy, because we have to contend with (having) very few vaccines, and we’re in a race against the clock,” Dube told a news conference.
He said the province had discussed its decision with vaccine manufacturers and with federal public health officials. The latter, Dube said, acknowledged that the 42-day recommended maximum can be extended depending on the disease’s progression in a particular province.
He said the high rates of community transmission, hospitalizations and deaths in Quebec justified the change. “In Quebec, we don’t have the same situation as in New Brunswick or British Columbia,” he said.
Richard Masse, a senior public health adviser, said the change would allow up to 500,000 seniors who are most at risk of complications — including those in private residences and those aged 80 and up — to receive their vaccine several weeks earlier than originally thought.
Masse said the justification to extend the interval was based on the “experience of working with many vaccines through time,” which shows, he said, that vaccine immunity does not suddenly drop off within a month or two.
He said, however, the province was carefully monitoring the efficacy of the vaccines and would immediately give second doses if authorities saw evidence of decreased immunity in certain groups, such as the elderly.
Health officials, Masse said, were investigating why an unspecified number of elderly nursing home residents who had received their first dose in December had since tested positive for COVID-19.
Two of the facilities where vaccinations took place were experiencing outbreaks before shots were delivered, he said. Masse also noted that the body takes up to 14 days to build immunity against the virus, meaning, he said, that those who had received a shot but who had been exposed before that interval would be less protected.
Some residents, however, had tested positive more than 14 days following their injection. Health officials, Masse said, were trying to find out why. He said possibilities include the vaccine is not perfectly effective, or that it may not work as well in some age groups.
“Ninety three per cent (effective) is not 100 per cent, and it could be lower than that for people who are elderly,” he said.
Both Masse and Dube said the province would work to shorten the interval between first and second doses once the province begins receiving larger quantities of vaccine — likely in March or April, they said.
Meanwhile, Quebec reported Thursday that some regions had few or no doses of COVID-19 vaccine remaining as the vaccination rate outpaced delivery.
As of Thursday morning, the Health Department said the Gaspe region, Iles-de-la-Madeleine, Nord-du-Quebec and the James Bay Cree Nation territories were out or almost out of vaccine, adding that it expected new deliveries Friday or Saturday. Four other regions had almost used up all their doses but received new supplies Tuesday.
Jean Morin, a spokesman for the Gaspe region’s health authority, said the vaccination campaign was going “exceedingly well” despite the fact nearly all the doses had been used. Morin said there are logistical challenges to vaccinating people in the vast and thinly populated region, including having to transport people to clinics to receive their shots.
Dube recognized the federal effort being made to get vaccine to the provinces, but said he wished it would go more quickly because the need is so great. “We recognize the effort but we’re not satisfied, because we have so many people we want to vaccinate,” he said.
The province reported 2,132 new cases of COVID-19 Thursday and 64 more deaths attributed to the novel coronavirus, including 15 that occurred in the previous 24 hours. Quebec has reported a total of 236,827 infections and 8,878 deaths linked to the virus.
The province had administered more than 115,000 doses of vaccine as of Thursday, including nearly 26,000 to long-term care residents.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 14, 2021.
Two new COVID cases announced in Nova Scotia, Strang says people are lying to contact tracers – Halifax Examiner
The Halifax Examiner is providing all COVID-19 coverage for free. Please help us continue this coverage by subscribing.
Nova Scotia’s premier and chief medical officer of health defended the province’s vaccine rollout and urged people to tell the truth if contacted public health during Friday’s COVID-19 briefing.
The province announced two new cases on Friday — one each in the Northern and Central zones, both close contacts of previously reported cases. There are 32 known active cases in Nova Scotia and no one is in the hospital with the disease. Labs completed 2,010 tests on Thursday.
Here are the new daily cases and seven-day rolling average since the start of the second wave (Oct. 1):
And here is the active caseload for the second wave:
At the start of Friday’s briefing, Premier Stephen McNeil said Nova Scotia had administered 7,600 doses of vaccines by the end of Thursday, 2,200 front-line healthcare workers had received both doses, and all frontline workers and long-term care residents at Northwood’s Halifax campus had received their first dose.
“I know there’s lots of concerns with how our vaccination program is rolling out,” McNeil said. “Dealing with this vaccine is not the same as dealing with the flu.”
Those concerns — primarily that Nova Scotia is behind all other provinces in the percentage of acquired doses it’s administered — are contemplated in Friday’s Morning File.
McNeil said the province will continue to hold onto a second shot for anyone given a first dose until the province is guaranteed there won’t be an interruption in supply.
“And right now, we don’t have that guarantee,” he said.
McNeil said the province will now report vaccine numbers twice weekly, instead of once a week. Strang suggested the province may ramp up to daily reporting.
Strang said Nova Scotia had received about 13,000 doses by Thursday, and those were all either used or held back for second shots. Another 10,000 doses were delivered on Thursday, and Strang said those would be used or reserved by the end of next week.
“Our goal is to make sure that we have a constant and steady supply of vaccine going to clinics. We don’t want to have a surplus of vaccine in the province,” Strang said.
“We have to make sure people have access across the province, so we have to make sure we ship vaccine in an equitable basis to multiple locations … It’s an ongoing balancing act to make sure that what we receive goes out to clinics in a timely way and is used.”
Strang faced numerous questions about who will get the vaccine and when, and how it will roll out in Phase 2.
Much more vaccine is coming in April or May, Strang said, and when that happens the province will shift from immunizing only select groups of people in hospitals and long-term care facilities to immunizing people in the community based on age.
Strang said the province would start piloting clinics for people 80-85 years and older in February or March, but most seniors will have to wait until the spring for their shots.
Public health is working on a process for directly and individually notifying people when it’s their turn to be immunized, Strang said, rather than advertising generally.
Asked when people with underlying conditions who are under the age of 75 will be immunized, Strang suggested they’ll have to wait, saying age will be the first priority.
“Age is by far the single biggest predictor of risk for severe outcomes of COVID,” he said, adding that people with those underlying conditions in the older age group will be prioritized.
Tell contact tracers the truth, Strang and McNeil plead
Strang said during Friday’s briefing that there have been recent cases of people lying to contact tracers with public health.
“It’s been recently brought to my attention that in a few of our ongoing investigations by public health, there are some individuals who have been very deliberately not following the public health regulations, and they have not been truthful and honest about their movements and people they have been in contact with,” Strang said.
“I have to say I’m very disappointed by this news. By not following public health orders or disclosing contacts, these individuals are putting other people’s lives unnecessarily at risk.”
Strang said the issue isn’t widespread, but in a few cases people have broken their quarantine and exceeding gathering limits and then lied about who they’ve been in contact with. Public health found out when they traced their way back to a previous positive case.
Giving public health accurate and full information is “critically important” to minimize community spread, Strang said.
“The lack of information has put us in a position where we weren’t able to respond and there’s been further transmission of the virus, which is unfortunate,” he said.
Strang urged people who think public health orders don’t apply to them to reflect.
“We’re one of the safest places certainly in the country, if not globally, but we can only stay here if we continue to stay committed,” Strang said.
McNeil reiterated that people should be honest with public health.
“We’re not looking in any way to judge your movement or decisions that you have made. Our No. 1 goal and only goal is to capture and wrap our arms around this virus as quickly as we can so it doesn’t spread within the community,” McNeil said.
“We’ve come so far. The private conversations you have with public health will be private between you and public health. Please, please tell them everything, all the contacts that you have. We’ll protect your information at the same time we protect health for Nova Scotians.”
The Halifax Examiner is an advertising-free, subscriber-supported news site. Your subscription makes this work possible; please subscribe.
Some people have asked that we additionally allow for one-time donations from readers, so we’ve created that opportunity, via the PayPal button below. We also accept e-transfers, cheques, and donations with your credit card; please contact iris “at” halifaxexaminer “dot” ca for details.
NorthWest Healthcare Properties Real Estate Investment Trust Announces January 2021 Distribution – Canada NewsWire
Third wave, constrained government spending biggest risks to economy: Poloz – BNN
Canada's coming month of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine shipments will be reduced by half – CTV News
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
News23 hours ago
TD Bank to buy Wells Fargo’s Canadian Direct Equipment Finance business
News23 hours ago
Trudeau urges unified front against China detentions, says all nations vulnerable
News23 hours ago
North Korea shows off new submarine-launched missiles after rare party congress
Politics24 hours ago
MLB halts political donations following pro-Trump mob's siege of U.S. Capitol – CBS Sports
News24 hours ago
Radio-Canada head travelled to Florida despite federal travel advisory – CBC.ca
Economy22 hours ago
Biden unveiling $1.9T plan to stem virus and steady economy – North Shore News
Economy24 hours ago
Biden unveiling $1.9T plan to stem virus and steady economy – North Shore News
Health15 hours ago
B.C. becomes 2nd province to identify South African COVID-19 variant – Globalnews.ca