Connect with us

Tech

Xiaomi confirms that the Redmi Note 10 series will debut on March 4, a week earlier than expected – Notebookcheck.net

Published

 on

Tech

How a pub trivia night turned into a COVID-19 super-spreader event (INFOGRAPHIC) – The Tri-City News

Published

 on


B.C. health officials have revealed new details of how a single pub trivia night led to the exposure of nearly 300 people across a daycare, industrial sites, a restaurant, a store and the isolation of an entire class at a local school.

“From just one COVID-19 positive person at a pub trivia night…” begins the infographic, before detailing how and where 296 were forced to self-isolate at home.

Over the last few weeks, health officials made veiled references to an unnamed pub trivia night which sparked a secondary outbreak at a Burnaby daycare and led to cases at workplaces and schools. 

While not specifically revealing the location of the pub trivia night — where 24 patrons and four workers initially sparked the chain of transmission — reporting by the Tri-City News confirmed a super-spreader event of the same scale stemming from St. James’s Well in Port Moody. 

Last month, an industry spokesperson confirmed there had been no other COVID-19 transmission events linked to a trivia night in any bar or pub in B.C. 

From the pub night, transmission chains break into three streams, according to the infographic. Two daycare staff are said to have gone to work after attending the trivia night, sparking infections among 27 people linked to the daycare, and another 15 secondary cases.

A second series of transmission events occurred in eight workplaces after people who attended the trivia night went to work sick. Those included: two industrial sites, two offices, a restaurant and a store. 

Finally, contact tracers tracked a third chain of transmission among 10 people who had close contact with someone who attended the pub trivia night. Of those, one school staff member came to work sick, infecting a colleague and triggering the self-isolation of an entire class.

The super-spreader event coincides with a surge of COVID-19 cases across the Tri-Cities in recent weeks. Last week, the BC Centre for Disease Control released data indicating the three cities had one of the highest per-capita rates of infection in the Lower Mainland, on par with Surrey. 

The BCCDC is expected to release updated case numbers over the next 24 hours.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Maezawa wants to take you to the moon: Japanese billionaire seeks passengers for 2023 SpaceX trip – CBC.ca

Published

 on



Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa on Wednesday launched a search for eight people to join him as the first private passengers on a trip around the moon with Elon Musk’s SpaceX.
 
He had originally planned to invite artists for the week-long voyage slated for 2023.
 
The rejigged project will “give more people from around the globe the chance to join this journey. If you see yourself as an artist, then you are an artist,” Maezawa said.

Maezawa to pay entire cost of trip himself

The first stage of the selection process runs to March 14, with applicants needing to pass medical checks and, eventually, an interview with Maezawa.
 
The entrepreneur, who sold his online fashion business Zozo Inc. to SoftBank in 2019, is paying the entire cost of the voyage on SpaceX’s next-generation reusable launch vehicle, dubbed the Starship.
 
“I thought there might be delays but everything is on schedule,” said Maezawa in an interview.

Recent Starship prototypes exploded during testing

Two recent Starship prototypes have exploded during testing, underscoring the risks for Maezawa, 45, and his fellow  passengers, who must also contend with the strains of space travel in the first private journey beyond Earth’s orbit.

An image of the so-called BFR, or big falcon rocket, spacecraft SpaceX plans to use for its 2023 moon trip. The company’s CEO, Elon Musk, announced Maezawa as the first private passenger on the Starship in September 2018 in Hawthorne, Calif. (The Associated Press/Chris Carlson)

          

“Elon Musk says there is no problem and I believe him,” said Maezawa. SpaceX ferried four astronauts to the International Space Station in November on its Falcon 9 rocket.
 
Maezawa said he is not in training — which he expects to take a few months at most — but is watching his alcohol intake and exercising while spending a few hours a week considering the mission.
 
“I’m only preparing mentally,” said the fashion guru, wearing a Dior shirt over a T-shirt depicting the iconic 1968 Earthrise photo.
 
Seeing the whole Earth and the far side of the moon would be highlights of the trip, said Maezawa, who had considered a trip the ISS before choosing the more ambitious moon voyage.
 
“This mission we expect people will go further than any human has ever gone from Planet Earth,” Musk said, days after SpaceX completed its latest $850 million US fundraising, which has helped turn the businessman into one of the world’s richest people.

Costs for the trip remain in line with the original contract with SpaceX, said Maezawa, who has declined to say how much that is, but says is more than his $110 million US purchase of a Jean-Michel Basquiat painting.
 
Both Musk and Maezawa have built loyal followings on social media, with the latter’s cash giveaways helping to make him Japan’s most-followed Twitter account.
 
Maezawa, who recently introduced SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son to audio app Clubhouse, said he plans to feature mission preparation on his YouTube channel, which also offers videos of him playing golf in Hawaii and racing supercars.
 
Last year he launched a short-lived documentary search for a new girlfriend to join him on the trip before pulling out citing “mixed feelings.” 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Billionaire offering ‘free ticket to the moon’ on SpaceX Starship – Global News

Published

 on


A Japanese billionaire is looking to fill some seats on his SpaceX rocket to the moon.

You in?

Eccentric fashion designer Yusaku Maezawa has launched an international search for eight people to join him on the planned voyage around the moon, which Elon Musk hopes to accomplish as soon as 2023.

Read more:
Who is Yusaku Maezawa, SpaceX’s first billionaire moon passenger?

Maezawa, 45, announced the search on his Twitter account Tuesday in his latest high-stakes social media stunt. The announcement was short on details, but Maezawa has previously billed his “dearMoon” expedition as a trip that will include many artists.

Story continues below advertisement

Maezawa confessed in a video on Tuesday that it can be hard to define an artist, so he wants to open up his criteria to a more “diverse audience” of potential passengers.

“Maybe every single person who is doing something creative could be called an artist,” he said. “If you see yourself as an artist, then you’re an artist.”

He says he’ll consider candidates for the mission from anywhere on the globe, provided they can meet two criteria:

  1. By going to space, you must be pushing the envelope in whatever activity you’re into.
  2. You have to be willing to support other crew members who share “similar aspirations.”

Maezawa says he will cover all costs for the trip, so he is essentially offering a “free ticket to the moon.”

Musk also touted his excitement for the journey in Maezawa’s video.

“We’re going to go past the moon,” he said. “We expect people will go farther than any human has ever gone from planet Earth.”

[embedded content]

Potential passengers can sign up for details about the trip on Maezawa’s mission website.

Story continues below advertisement

The registration form asks for your name, email and home country. It also allows you to upload a photo that it will automatically crop into the helmet of a spacesuit.


A blank crew card for Yusaku Maezawa’s ‘dearMoon’ mission is shown.


dearMoon

A followup email says that further details about the screening process will be sent out on March 15.

Potential candidates will go through an initial screening process later this month, followed by an “assignment,” an “online interview” and a “final interview and medical checkup” in late May, according to the website. Details about the assignment and the judging process have not been released.

Read more:
Take a look around Mars with Perseverance rover’s HD photo panorama

Maezawa, who runs the Japanese fashion brand Zozo, became the first person to pay for a trip to the moon when he signed up in 2018 for an undisclosed sum.

Story continues below advertisement

He plans to bring 10 to 12 passengers on SpaceX’s Starship, which is still in its testing phase. The Starship is expected to fly to the moon over three days, loop around the far side of it and then fly back over another three days.

The journey is slated for 2023, although Musk still has some fine-tuning to do on his Starship design after two of the prototypes blew up in recent tests.

A third test flight was scheduled for Wednesday or Thursday.

Maezawa has a history of pulling high-stakes giveaways on Twitter. He once promised to give US$9 million to some of his followers as a “social experiment” to see if it’d boost their happiness.

He also used Twitter last year to launch an unsuccessful search for a girlfriend to accompany him to the moon. He had planned to turn the search into a Bachelor-style reality show for Japanese TV, but later backed out due to “mixed feelings.” He reportedly received about 27,000 applications for the show.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
Pilot reports unknown flying ‘object’ in airline audio of close encounter

Maezawa announced on Wednesday morning that he’s already received more than 100,000 signups for the trip. The No. 1 country for applicants was India, followed by Japan and the United States. Canada ranked No. 8.

Maezawa is not the only billionaire seeking passengers for a SpaceX voyage. U.S. entrepreneur Jared Isaacman is also putting together a four-person crew for the first all-civilian space flight into orbit later this year.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending