Connect with us

Tech

Xiaomi's Mi 11 is now available in Europe – Yahoo Movies Canada

Published

 on


The Canadian Press

Iowa governor auctioned off access for pork barons’ charity

IOWA CITY, Iowa — Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds auctioned off an afternoon of her time to raise money for the namesake charity of a couple who own one of the nation’s largest pork producers and have contributed nearly $300,000 to her campaign. The 2019 auction to benefit the Deb and Jeff Hansen Foundation provides a striking example of the Republican governor’s close relationship with the state’s pork industry and particularly Iowa Select Farms, owned by the West Des Moines couple. Company staff members run the Hansens’ foundation, which sponsors charitable programs including giveaways of pork products to needy families. Details of the auction surfaced recently in public records the governor’s office released to Direct Action Everywhere, an animal rights group that has accused Iowa Select of mistreating hogs. The records show Reynolds has supported policies Iowa Select has sought, made several appearances for the corporation and its charity, and routinely spoken with Jeff Hansen. The day after Reynolds won a four-year term in November 2018, Iowa Select’s public affairs director wrote to an aide in the governor’s office to “request you save the date” on Reynolds’ calendar so that she could attend a Hansen foundation gala scheduled for six months later. The Hansens’ had been her top campaign donors. Reynolds not only attended their May 10, 2019, event but turned her state position into one of the night’s most lucrative auction items. The event at a Des Moines hotel featured auctions for goods ranging from wine to tickets to sporting events, and the crowd included Iowa Select employees and business partners. The time with Reynolds was advertised as an “afternoon with Iowa’s leading lady.” The “one-of-a-kind package” for four would begin with lunch at the state mansion where the governor lives and proceed to the Capitol for discussion and “a personalized tour of the building where all of Iowa’s legislative action happens.” “From the top of the gold dome to the Governor’s office, you’ll be treated to a tour unlike any other!” it said. Influential pork industry executive Gary Lynch, a major GOP campaign donor who owns Lynch Livestock in Waucoma, made the winning bid of $4,250. Reynolds spokesman Pat Garrett said the event was one of many in which the governor auctioned off meals and tours for charity in 2018 and 2019, before she paused the practice during the pandemic. Others that benefited included educational, civic and medical groups, such as the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and the Science Center of Iowa. Reynolds also participated twice in the annual charity auction of grocery store chain Hy-Vee. “All of these are great causes that help people in need,” Garrett said. Lawyers for former Democratic Govs. Chet Culver and Tom Vilsack say their administrations never auctioned off the governors’ time for a donor’s charity, which they said carried the appearance of impropriety. “I’m not aware of a single instance in Gov. Culver’s tenure where we got anywhere close to that kind of use of a governor’s time or resources or public spaces,” said Culver aide Jim Larew. Former Vilsack general counsel Gary Dickey said constituents’ access to the governor should not be up for auction, calling Reynolds’ participation “a colossal error in judgment.” Vilsack served as U.S. agriculture secretary under former President Barack Obama, and President Joe Biden has nominated him to fill that role again. Lynch, who declined comment, has donated more than $100,000 to Reynolds’ campaigns since 2016. Weeks after he won the auction, Reynolds was a keynote speaker at Lynch’s annual charity banquet in Decorah. Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board director Mike Marshall said he did not believe the auction violated any campaign finance laws. He said he saw no indication that the governor’s participation in the fundraiser was contingent upon the Hansens’ campaign contributions or that public resources were used for political purposes. The auction wasn’t the only favour for Iowa Select and its owners. Reynolds made a cameo in a cooking video for its employees last summer, spoke at a ribbon-cutting for a new warehouse in Osceola and her staff once flew one of the company’s flags over the Iowa Capitol. “It is AMAZING. She hit on so many talking points in a short period of time,” Crall wrote to the governor’s office about a video Reynolds recorded for the charity in 2018. Before Reynolds participated in its Christmas pork loin giveaway that year, Crall supplied the governor’s office with talking points that included, “What a great example of Iowa farmers giving back.” The access paid dividends when coronavirus disrupted the pork industry. Iowa Select pushed Reynolds’ office to keep meatpacking plants open at full capacity after outbreaks slowed production, for aid programs to benefit producers and to arrange drive-thru COVID-19 testing at its corporate office in West Des Moines. Iowa Select spokeswoman Jen Sorenson said the company feels “an important responsibility” to educate elected officials on Iowa’s multibillion-dollar animal agriculture industry, saying it leads to better policy. Reynolds’ spokesman Garrett said the governor “has a strong relationship with Iowa producers.” Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement policy director Adam Mason said his group, which has opposed Iowa Select’s expansion on environmental grounds, has been unable to get a meeting with Reynolds for years. He said the Hansens’ charity buys good will in communities where their farms pollute the air and water with hog manure. “The general criticism that we have the best government money can buy — this is that actually happening,” Mason said. “She is auctioning off her time to representatives of this industry, and not only that, bending over backward to do it and to make a donor happy. If it’s not illegal, it should be.” Ryan J. Foley, The Associated Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

BC First Nation 'outraged' after Green MLA reveals COVID-19 outbreak – Surrey Now-Leader – Surrey Now-Leader

Published

 on


The Tsartlip First Nation expressed outrage this week after Green MLA Adam Olsen revealed that the community had been experiencing a COVID-19 outbreak – a fact that the First Nation chose not to make public after witnessing the racism faced by the Cowichan Tribes after an outbreak there.

On March 2, Olsen, the representative for Saanich North and the Islands, shared on social media that the Tsartlip had been under shelter-in-place orders for several weeks and that all adults would be receiving a vaccine dose shortly. He added that as a member and resident of the nation, he too would be vaccinated on March 3.

READ ALSO: ‘Vile; filled with racism’: Officials condemn reaction to Cowichan First Nations COVID outbreak

In a public statement on Thursday, Chief Don Tom called Olsen’s announcement “highly offensive” and said the MLA had overstepped his role. He said the Tsartlip First Nation experienced an outbreak at the end of January and members were ordered to shelter-in-place starting Feb. 8. He said the last positive test was on Feb. 6 and that the nation currently has no active cases of COVID-19.

“Tsartlip has a right to self-determination, we cannot have an MLA misrepresenting our First Nation, and taking liberties to make public statements without consulting Tsartlip,” Tom said, adding that Olsen owed the community a public apology.

READ ALSO: BCAFN condems racism against Cowichan Tribes after COVID-19 outbreak

The same day, Olsen called Tom to offer his “unreserved apology” and shared an open letter on social media acknowledging it is not his role as an MLA to speak on behalf of the nation.

“I know these past weeks have been an incredibly difficult time for our community and I’m devastated that my actions have increased anxiety,” he wrote. “You have my commitment that this situation will not be repeated, and I fully accept your frustration and anger with my actions.”

READ ALSO: Adam Olsen declared winner in Saanich North and the Islands

Tom emphasized that the Tsartlip First Nation had specifically chosen to keep the outbreak private after witnessing the “cruel racism” members of the Cowichan Tribes experienced after an outbreak was declared in January. The Cowichan Tribes issued a stay-at-home order until Jan. 22 after more than 70 COVID-19 cases were reported.

According to Derek Thompson, Cowichan Tribes general manager, racism towards members of the First Nation increased immediately after the outbreak was disclosed.

“We chose to not subject Tsartlip members to this and kept our outbreak status private,” Tom said, noting that after Olsen revealed the situation, the First Nation was forced to address the outbreak publicly and clarify the situation. “Our membership now feel angst and worry for their social well-being.”

-With files from the Canadian Press


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

CoronavirusFirst NationsSaanich Peninsula

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

BC First Nation 'outraged' after Green MLA reveals COVID-19 outbreak – Abbotsford News – Abbotsford News

Published

 on


The Tsartlip First Nation expressed outrage this week after Green MLA Adam Olsen revealed that the community had been experiencing a COVID-19 outbreak – a fact that the First Nation chose not to make public after witnessing the racism faced by the Cowichan Tribes after an outbreak there.

On March 2, Olsen, the representative for Saanich North and the Islands, shared on social media that the Tsartlip had been under shelter-in-place orders for several weeks and that all adults would be receiving a vaccine dose shortly. He added that as a member and resident of the nation, he too would be vaccinated on March 3.

READ ALSO: ‘Vile; filled with racism’: Officials condemn reaction to Cowichan First Nations COVID outbreak

In a public statement on Thursday, Chief Don Tom called Olsen’s announcement “highly offensive” and said the MLA had overstepped his role. He said the Tsartlip First Nation experienced an outbreak at the end of January and members were ordered to shelter-in-place starting Feb. 8. He said the last positive test was on Feb. 6 and that the nation currently has no active cases of COVID-19.

“Tsartlip has a right to self-determination, we cannot have an MLA misrepresenting our First Nation, and taking liberties to make public statements without consulting Tsartlip,” Tom said, adding that Olsen owed the community a public apology.

READ ALSO: BCAFN condems racism against Cowichan Tribes after COVID-19 outbreak

The same day, Olsen called Tom to offer his “unreserved apology” and shared an open letter on social media acknowledging it is not his role as an MLA to speak on behalf of the nation.

“I know these past weeks have been an incredibly difficult time for our community and I’m devastated that my actions have increased anxiety,” he wrote. “You have my commitment that this situation will not be repeated, and I fully accept your frustration and anger with my actions.”

READ ALSO: Adam Olsen declared winner in Saanich North and the Islands

Tom emphasized that the Tsartlip First Nation had specifically chosen to keep the outbreak private after witnessing the “cruel racism” members of the Cowichan Tribes experienced after an outbreak was declared in January. The Cowichan Tribes issued a stay-at-home order until Jan. 22 after more than 70 COVID-19 cases were reported.

According to Derek Thompson, Cowichan Tribes general manager, racism towards members of the First Nation increased immediately after the outbreak was disclosed.

“We chose to not subject Tsartlip members to this and kept our outbreak status private,” Tom said, noting that after Olsen revealed the situation, the First Nation was forced to address the outbreak publicly and clarify the situation. “Our membership now feel angst and worry for their social well-being.”

-With files from the Canadian Press


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

CoronavirusFirst NationsSaanich Peninsula

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Canadiens legend Guy Lafleur lends hand to CHUM cancer fundraiser – Cape Breton Post

Published

 on


An optimistic Guy Lafleur made his first public appearance since October when he talked to journalists during a video conference Friday announcing the creation of the Guy Lafleur Fund. It will be part of the Centre hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal (CHUM) foundation’s effort to raise money for cancer research.

Lafleur has had a variety of health problems since September 2019, when a routine physical exam required to renew his helicopter pilot’s licence revealed blocked arteries. He underwent quadruple-bypass surgery, which revealed the presence of lung cancer. One-third of his right lung was removed, but the

cancer reappeared in October.

Lafleur offered some good news, when he said the cancer mass has shrunk by 30 per cent.

“When there is life, there is hope,” he said Friday. “I feel good. I take it one day at a time. I have treatments every three weeks. I am getting tired, I sleep a lot, but the oncologist told me this is normal.”

Lafleur said he has a treadmill at home and tries to get outside for a walk in the some fresh air.

“With the (COVID-19) confinement, there is not much positive,” said Lafleur. “At our age, the pleasure is going to a restaurant with friends, but we are cut off from everything. For me, the confinement started in September 2019 when I had my quadruple-bypass surgery and when my upper lobe of the lung was removed. It’s long, it’s painful, but we’ll get through it.”

The CHUM foundation has set up the Club des 10, which is a play on his Canadiens sweater number and the nine celebrity friends who will join him on Facebook. Fans will have access to the celebrities in exchange for a weekly donation over the next 10 weeks.

A video shown Friday featured Scotty Bowman, Yvan Cournoyer, Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Drouin, Wayne Gretzky, Alexis Lafrenière, cancer survivor Mario Lemieux, Marie-Philip Poulin and Patrick Roy. They each told stories of adversity they had experienced, and sent a message of support to Lafleur. Martin Brodeur and Ray Bourque will also offer their help.

Lafleur said he was encouraged by advancements in cancer treatment.

“My father died of cancer in 1992 and I look at the evolution of treatments from 1992 to today, it’s day and night,” said Lafleur. “My oncologist told me: ‘You can’t cure cancer, but you can treat it, and give you a good quality of life.’ It is not cancer that you catch and die two weeks later. Science is improving day by day. It is really encouraging.

“If we can treat it and I have 10-15 years to live, it’s not a lot but I’m 69 years old and it will take me into my 80s, it’s not so bad,” said Lafleur. “It’s about always keeping hope and understanding the evolution of treatments.”

[email protected]

twitter.com/zababes1


Related

Copyright Postmedia Network Inc., 2021

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending