A record 1,175 British Columbians are fighting COVID-19 thanks to a surge in younger people getting infected, provincial health officer Bonnie Henry told media September 3.
There were 89 new cases of the virus recorded in the past 24 hours for a total of 6,041 British Columbians contracting the disease since COVID-19 was first detected in the province in January.
Henry said that the recent rise in cases has come thanks to younger people getting infected.
She noted that in the 547 new cases identified last week, the average age of the patients dropped from being in the 50s to being 41.
Hospitalizations inched up to 34, which is the highest number since May 30, including 11 people who are in intensive care units.
“Hospitalizations have gone up slightly, but again, the hospitalization rate remains very low,” Henry said. “It has actually come down from when we were in the midst of the first wave of this pandemic, where about 20% of our cases ended up in hospital, and that again reflects the fact that many of our new cases are younger people.”
One senior has died from the disease in the past day, meaning that the death toll in the province from the disease has risen to 210. Another 4,644 people who had been infected have recovered. Information is not available on whether 12 infected people recovered or died, with one potential reason being that they could have been non-British Columbians who left the province.
Henry noted that the four deaths that were recorded last week were among older people.
“The median [death] age remains very high, reflecting that this virus is most lethal to our elders and seniors,” she said.
Health officials this week have been testing about 4,000 to 5,000 people per day – up about 20% from last week, Henry said.
The breakdown of all COVID-19 infections in the province by health region is:
• 2,012 in Vancouver Coastal Health (up 38);
• 3,155 in Fraser Health (up 43);
• 178 in Island Health (no change);
• 450 in Interior Health (up five);
• 167 in Northern Health (up three); and
• 79 people who reside outside Canada (no change).
While the virus has impacted all parts of B.C., and there have been significant outbreaks in areas such as Kelowna, Henry said that the “focus, really, of the outbreak now has returned to the Lower Mainland, where the majority of cases are.”
Active outbreaks remain in two healthcare facilities: Surrey Memorial Hospital and New Westminster’s Queen’s Park Care Centre.
Two new healthcare facility outbreaks have arisen, with both involving a single person, Henry said. They are at Cherington Place seniors’ living facility in Surrey and at Point Grey Private Hospital in Vancouver. The outbreak at Maple Ridge Seniors Village in Maple Ridge has been declared over.
Seniors’ homes with active outbreaks include:
•Czorny Alzheimer Centre in Surrey;
•Normanna Living in Burnaby;
•Derby Manor in Burnaby;
•George Derby Centre in Burnaby;
•New Vista Care Home in Burnaby;
•MSA Manor long-term care facility in Abbotsford (second outbreak); and
•Bear Creek Villa in Surrey.
So far there have been 730 infections at seniors’ homes, including 443 residents and 287 staff.
There are no new community outbreaks, Henry said.
Quebec COVID-19 numbers continue to surge with 462 new cases reported – CTV News Montreal
As three regions in the province prepare to have their alert level potentially raised from yellow to orange, Quebec public health authorities announced Sunday that 462 more people have tested positive for COVID-19 in the province.
It is the second day in a row where the number of new cases has been over 400 after 427 people were reported to have tested positive Saturday.
The new cases brings the total number of cases in the province to 67,542.
The Island of Montreal accounted for 160 of the positive tests (31,309 total), while the Quebec City region reported 92 more cases (2,969 total), Monteregie reported 58 more cases (9,938 total) and Laval reported 32 more cases (6,668 total).
In the past 24 hours, one more person died due to the disease in addition to four people who died between Sept. 13-18.
Officials reported two people died in the Chaudiere-Appalaches region, and one person died in Quebec City, Laval and Monteregie.
The total number of people who have died due to COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic is now 5,802.
Nova Scotia's streak of no new COVID-19 cases reaches Day 13; zero active cases remain – CTV News Atlantic
Nova Scotia’s number of active COVID-19 cases remains at zero; meanwhile, the province hasn’t announced a new case for 13 consecutive days.
On Sunday, the province reported that no new cases were identified on Saturday – a day which saw Nova Scotia Health Authority’s labs complete 858 Nova Scotia tests.
To date, Nova Scotia has 87,428 negative test results, 1,086 positive COVID-19 cases and 65 deaths. No one is currently in hospital – 1,021 cases are now resolved.
Cases range in age from under 10 to over 90. Sixty-one per cent of cases are female and 39 per cent are male.
There are cases confirmed across the province, but most have been identified in the central zone, which contains the Halifax Regional Municipality.
The provincial government says cumulative cases by zone may change as data is updated in Panorama, the province’s electronic information system.
The numbers reflect where a person lives, and not where their sample was collected.
- Western zone: 55 cases
- Central zone: 910 cases
- Northern zone: 67 cases
- Eastern zone: 54 cases
STATE OF EMERGENCY REMAINS IN PLACE
On Friday, the province announced the provincial state of emergency, which was first declared on March 22, has been extended to October 4, unless the government terminates or extends it.
UPDATED LIST OF SYMPTOMS
The province recently reduced the number of COVID-19 symptoms for which health officials are screening.
The provincial government said the updated list of symptoms reflects the current epidemiology in Nova Scotia.
Anyone who experiences a new or worsening fever or cough, or two or more of the following new or worsening symptoms is encouraged to take an online test to determine if they should call 811 for further assessment:
- sore throat
- shortness of breath
- runny nose
Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 is required to self-isolate at home, away from the public, for 14 days.
Anyone who travels to Nova Scotia from outside the Atlantic region is required to self-isolate for 14 days and must fill out a self-declaration form before coming to the province.
However, the province has eased some self-isolation requirements for out-of-province rotational workers.
Residents of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador are not required to self-isolate when travelling to Nova Scotia, but they must be prepared to provide proof of their place of residency at provincial borders.
Visitors from outside the Atlantic region who have already self-isolated in another Atlantic province for 14 days may travel to Nova Scotia without having to self-isolate again.
Region of Waterloo Public Health reporting 18 new cases of COVID-19 – KitchenerToday.com
Region of Waterloo Public Health is reporting 18 new cases of COVID-19 on its information dashboard.
But due to ongoing data revisions, two additional cases were added to yesterday’s count, along with an additional case earlier this week.
The total number of cases is at 1,592 since March.
Eighty-five per cent of all cases are considered resolved.
There are no additional deaths and no COVID-19 patients in hospital with the active caseload at 112.
Outbreaks remain unchanged today, with six in effect in various settings.
Northern towns push to approve Elon Musk's Starlink satellite internet project – CTV Toronto
Art exhibit captures memories of a changing landscape through COVID-19 pandemic – NiagaraFallsReview.ca
LACKIE: There are signs of a softening real-estate market – Toronto Sun
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Health21 hours ago
Three new outbreaks, 8 additional cases of COVID-19 in Waterloo Region – CTV Toronto
- Science14 hours ago
A new study finds that an iceberg may not have sunk the Titanic
- Tech14 hours ago
Sony says more PS5 consoles are on the way for preorder
- Business17 hours ago
Woman refuses to wear mask at LUSH, films altercation
- Tech7 hours ago
Sony apologizes for PS5 pre-order disaster — promises more stock soon – Tom's Guide
- Health15 hours ago
Health unit prepares for possible ‘twindemic’
- Tech20 hours ago
Apple Watch Series 6 ongoing review: SpO2 tracking and brighter screen – CNET
- Media15 hours ago
Hate-filled social media posts key to Rexdale mosque murder?