Zach Collaros speaks to media after signing deal with Winnipeg Blue Bombers: ‘It was a no-brainer’ - Global News - Canada News Media
Connect with us

Media

Zach Collaros speaks to media after signing deal with Winnipeg Blue Bombers: ‘It was a no-brainer’ – Global News

Published

on


Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterback Zach Collaros spoke to media Tuesday, a day after signing a two-year deal with the team he led to its first Grey Cup victory in nearly 30 years.

During the media conference, the team announced it will release former first-string quarterback Matt Nichols.

Story continues below advertisement

Bombers GM Kyle Walters told reporters deciding which way to go on starting quarterback wasn’t easy.

“It was gut-wrenching,” he said.

“Ultimately, down the stretch, with the way that Zach played at that level — getting us over the hump, winning a Grey Cup — I believe earned him first right of refusal in regards to the offer.”

Collaros, 31, started four games for Winnipeg after first-string QB Nichols was injured. He played the last regular-season game, two playoff games and ultimately the Grey Cup championship.


READ MORE:
Zach Collaros signs 2-year extension with Winnipeg Blue Bombers

On Monday, the team announced it had signed a two-year extension with Collaros, who had been scheduled to become a free agent in February.

Story continues below advertisement

‘Obviously, you just want to win’

Collaros said he was happy to have gotten a deal done, telling reporters he and his wife discussed their next steps with family when they headed home for American Thanksgiving, shortly after the Grey Cup game.

He said everyone seemed to agree, signing with the team was a “no-brainer.”






1:56
Winnipeg Blue Bombers GM describes ‘gut-wrenching’ decision to chose Collaros over Nichols at QB


Winnipeg Blue Bombers GM describes ‘gut-wrenching’ decision to chose Collaros over Nichols at QB

“I’d be lying to you if I said I wasn’t hoping to get something done here,” he said, acknowledging the possibility of other options had he gone to free agency.

“Obviously, there are other factors that factor in, but this is also a job and you want to make a living, so you want to put yourself in the best situation to play well, and we thought this was the place.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterback Zach Collaros speaks to media after signing a two-year contract extension.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterback Zach Collaros speaks to media after signing a two-year contract extension.


Randall Paull/Global News

“It was a no-brainer from a football standpoint.”

Story continues below advertisement

Collaros finished the 2019 post-season completing 45 of his 69 pass attempts for 630 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

He went 4-0 in his appearances in the Bombers’ last regular-season games before leading them undefeated through the post-season to a Grey Cup win.






2:25
Zach Collaros: I’m happy to get this deal done


Zach Collaros: I’m happy to get this deal done

Despite the steep expectations he’s likely to face from fans, Collaros said he’s ready to face the pressures of being the team’s new starter.

“Obviously, you just want to win,” he said.

“We’ll set goals here once we get moving, but I’m really excited to get started — but obviously the expectation is to win — and I couldn’t ask to be around a better group of guys to do that with.”

Story continues below advertisement






6:07
RAW: Blue Bombers Zach Collaros Interview – Nov. 24


RAW: Blue Bombers Zach Collaros Interview – Nov. 24

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Media

Coronavirus hoaxes circulating on Saskatoon social media channels – Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Published

on


Fears about a novel coronavirus originating from China have fuelled a tsunami of false reports and speculation about the pathogen’s whereabouts and effects, including here in Saskatoon. 


Travellers wear masks at Pearson airport arrivals, shortly after Toronto Public Health received notification of Canada’s first presumptive confirmed case of coronavirus, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 25, 2020. (Carlos Osorio/Reuters)


CARLOS OSORIO / REUTERS

Fears about a novel coronavirus originating from China have fuelled a tsunami of false reports and speculation about the pathogen’s whereabouts and effects, including in Saskatoon.

On Tuesday, The StarPhoenix traced false reports of coronavirus circulating on social media and found the misinformation apparently stemmed from a Snapchat account in the Philippines.

A Snapchat post appeared to show a woman dressed as a nurse warning about coronavirus at St. Paul’s Hospital. It was shared by several Saskatoon-area Facebook accounts by people who interpreted it to mean the sickness had appeared in the province.

But the image wasn’t from St. Paul’s Hospital in Saskatoon or even St. Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver — it’s from the Philippines, whose capital, Manila, has its own hospital of the same name.

Associated accounts did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

A representative from Providence Health Care, which operates St. Paul’s in Vancouver, said the B.C. hospital was aware of the post but did not believe it would spread significantly.

In Saskatoon social media circles, it spread quickly and amassed more than 1,000 impressions in less than an hour, according to the social media tracking application Crowdtangle. Some of the posts were deleted shortly after. 

Some copies of the image identified by The StarPhoenix appear to have been further manipulated, suggesting the original screenshot was being further spread through Snapchat or a similar platform.

Three coronavirus cases had appeared in Canada as of Tuesday afternoon: a husband and wife in Toronto and one presumptive case in British Columbia.

There have been no cases in Saskatchewan. Authorities are monitoring airports, but the Ministry of Health says risk of infection is very low.

Misinformation about coronavirus has been rampant on social media, with multiple Twitter accounts spreading conspiracy theories about the virus’s origins and infectability. Buzzfeed News reported Monday that even Chinese state media had spread misinformation about the virus. 

On Sunday, Ontario public health officials said they were concerned by potential misinformation about the virus and urged the public to consult trusted news sources and official websites for the latest information.

“People may actually take the wrong course of action and engage in what they believe are protective measures that are in fact not warranted and in some cases may be harmful,” said Dr. Eileen de Villa, Toronto’s medical officer of health.

— With Canadian Press files

zvescera@postmedia.com
twitter.com/zakvescera

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

NFL investigating social media hack – Edmonton Sun

Published

on


The NFL is working with authorities to investigate the hacking of numerous social media accounts throughout the league.

The official Twitter accounts of the league and a number of its teams were hacked over the past two days, the league said Tuesday.

“On Monday, the NFL cybersecurity department became aware of a breach of a league-related social media account,” a league statement said. “Targeted breaches and additional failed attempts were discovered across the league and team accounts. The NFL took immediate action and directed the teams to secure their social media accounts and prevent further unauthorized access.”

The league added that the team’s social media sites “have resumed normal operations.”

A group called OurMine took responsibility for the attacks. On at least one team account, the group said it was out to “show people that everything is hackable,” ESPN reported.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

NFL investigating social media hack – The Province

Published

on


The Twitter logo and binary cyber codes are seen in this illustration taken Nov. 26, 2019.

Dado Ruvic / Illustration / Reuters

The NFL is working with authorities to investigate the hacking of numerous social media accounts throughout the league.

The official Twitter accounts of the league and a number of its teams were hacked over the past two days, the league said Tuesday.

“On Monday, the NFL cybersecurity department became aware of a breach of a league-related social media account,” a league statement said. “Targeted breaches and additional failed attempts were discovered across the league and team accounts. The NFL took immediate action and directed the teams to secure their social media accounts and prevent further unauthorized access.”

The league added that the team’s social media sites “have resumed normal operations.”

A group called OurMine took responsibility for the attacks. On at least one team account, the group said it was out to “show people that everything is hackable,” ESPN reported.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending