Connect with us

Health

153 new cases of COVID-19 in Hamilton – CBC.ca

Published

 on


The City of Hamilton says there are 1,139 people who have COVID-19 in the area. 

The city has seen 5,311 cases of the virus since the pandemic began. Of those, 3,973 people have recovered and 147 people have died. 

There were 153 new cases of COVID-19 in Hamilton as of Thursday. 

Hamilton Health Sciences is caring for 43 patients with COVID-19. Another 14 people with the virus are being cared for at St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton. 

A student at Billy Greene Elementary School tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday, as did a student at Michaelle Jean Elementary School. 

The schools say students and staff members associated with each confirmed case will self-isolate for 14 days.  

The outbreak at Frank Panabaker North School has been declared as over. 

One person at Frank’s No Frills has tested positive for COVID-19, according to parent company Loblaw’s online database. 

The worker was last in the store, which is located at 675 Rymal Road East, on Dec. 17. 

That is a different store than Franco’s No Frills, which is located at  640 Queenston Road. Their location was charged by Hamilton bylaw officers  on Sunday for breaking COVID-19 rules amidst an outbreak. The outbreak had been declared two days earlier. 

The latest employee to test positive did so on Wednesday. The City of Hamilton says their outbreak has increased to 12 staff who have been infected. CBC News has reached out to Loblaw for any updated information. 

The outbreak at Ridgeview Long Term Care Home has been declared as over. 

An outbreak at Villa Italia Retirement Residence has been declared, starting Dec. 23, with one staff member testing positive. 

There are 219 people infected at Grace Villa, which includes 141 residents and 78 staff. Twenty-nine people have died since the outbreak was declared on Nov. 25. 

The outbreak at Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre has infected 94 people with the virus. Of these, 44 are patients, 48 are staff, and two are learners. Eight people have died, says the city. 

According to numbers released by the Shalom Village Nursing home on Wednesday, there are 148 people infected with the virus as a result of their outbreak.

Sixty-seven staff have tested positive, and 18 are recovered, the home says. 

There are nine resident cases in the category of apartments/assisted living. Sixty-nine positive tests are associated with the long-term care portion. Three essential caregivers have also tested positive. 

Four residents are in hospital, according to a letter by Dr. Larry Levin, the interim CEO of Shalom Village. 

The city says nine people have died in connection with the outbreak. 

Brant

Public health officials recorded 12 new  COVID-19 cases in Brant and Brantford over the past 24 hours. 

The area has seen 784 confirmed cases throughout the pandemic, including 112 that are active and 667 that are resolved.

Six people with the virus are currently hospitalized and five have died.

Haldimand-Norfolk

Haldimand and Norfolk counties have seen a total of 835 positive cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic started.

Eighty-two of those cases are active, while 714 are recovered. There have been 109 new cases reported in the past 14 days. 

There are 34 COVID-19 related deaths in the counties. 

Niagara

Public health officials in the Niagara region recorded 57 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday. 

The region has a total of 3,292 cases, including 647 that are active and 2,546 that are resolved. The number of people who have had COVID-19 and died in Niagara is 99. 

There are 18 active outbreaks.

Two team members at a St. Catharines’ Real Canadian Superstore have tested positive. 

The store is located at 411 Louth Street. The workers last worked there on Dec. 13 and Dec. 17. 

Halton

There are 80 more COVID-19 cases in Halton, bringing the total case count to 5,304.

Of those, 477 cases are active and 4,727 are resolved.

There have been 100 deaths, which is four more than yesterday. 

There are 97 active cases in Burlington. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Hospitalizations from COVID-19 in B.C. fall to level last seen in November – Squamish Chief

Published

 on


The trajectory of serious COVID-19 infections in B.C. continues to point in the right direction, as the number of hospitalizations, and intensive care unit (ICU) patients, continues to fall.

The province now has 320 people hospitalized with the virus that has spawned a global pandemic. That is nine fewer than yesterday, and the lowest total since November 30.

article continues below

The number of hospital patients in ICU is similarly falling, as it is down by four overnight, to 66, which is the lowest total since November 26, according to government data.

Unfortunately 14 more people died overnight from complications related to the virus, pushing the death toll in B.C. to 1,104 since the first death was recorded on March 9.

New cases continue to pile up, with 500 people newly diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past day, and only 465 people newly diagnosed as having recovered. Testing also ramped up substantially, compared with yesterday, as 10,437 tests were given. That pushes the positive-test rate down to 4.7%, compared with 9.22% yesterday.

More than 89%, or 55,564 individuals out of the 62,412 people identified in B.C. as having contracted the virus, are deemed to have recovered.

The vast majority of the 4,345 people actively infected with the virus have been told to self-isolate, while 6,905 people are under active health monitoring from officials because they are known to have been in contact with others who have tested positive for the virus.

Here is a regional breakdown of where the 500 new cases were identified:
• 125 people in Vancouver Coastal Health (25%);
• 216 people in Fraser Health (43.2%);
• 32 in Island Health (6.4%);
• 91 in Interior Health (18.2%);
• 35 in Northern Health (7%); and
• one person who resides outside the province.

Despite fewer doses of vaccine expected to be delivered in later January than first expected, there were 5,756 vaccinations completed in the past day, for a total of 98,125 since the first dose was administered on December 16. 

”We have had two new health-care facility outbreaks: at Villa Cathay in the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority, and Acropolis Manor in the Northern Health Authority,” provincial health officer Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix said in a joint statement.

“The outbreaks at Guildford Seniors Village and Maple Ridge Seniors Village in the Fraser Health Authority, as well as Mountainview Village and Village by the Station in the Interior Health Authority, are now over.”

They added that there has been one new community outbreak at the Surrey Pretrial Services Centre.

“Our COVID-19 curve is trending in the right direction, and we want to keep that going – to push our curve down, which in turn, will allow us to safely ease restrictions,” they said.

The nine hospitals identified as having active COVID-19 outbreaks are:
• Burnaby Hospital in Burnaby;
• Cariboo Memorial Hospital in Williams Lake;
• Chilliwack General Hospital in Chilliwack;
• Mount St. Joseph’s Hospital in Vancouver;
• Ridge Meadows Hospital in Maple Ridge;
• St. Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver;
• Surrey Memorial Hospital in Surrey;
• Vancouver General Hospital in Vancouver; and
• University Hospital of Northern B.C. in Prince George.

The nine active outbreaks at seniors’ living facilities in Vancouver Coastal Health are at:
• Arbutus Care Centre in Vancouver;
• Braddan Private Hospital in Vancouver;
• Fraserview Intermediate Care Lodge in Richmond;
• German Canadian Benevolent Society Home in Vancouver;
• Hilltop House in Squamish;
• Little Mountain Place in Vancouver;
• Minoru Residence in Richmond;
• Renfrew Care Centre in Vancouver;
• Sunrise of Vancouver in Vancouver; and
• Villa Cathay in Vancouver.

The 23 active outbreaks at seniors’ living facilities in Fraser Health are at:
• Avalon Gardens in Langley;
• Brookside Lodge in Surrey;
• Eagle Ridge Manor in Port Moody;
• Evergreen Baptist Care Society in White Rock;
• Fleetwood Villa in Surrey;
• George Derby Centre in Burnaby;
• Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre in Delta;
• Hilton Villa Seniors Community in Surrey;
• Kin Village in Tsawwassen;
• Kin Village West Court in Tsawwassen;
• Madison Care Centre in Coquitlam;
• Mayfair Seniors Living Care in Abbotsford;
• Menno Home in Abbotsford;
• Morgan Place Care Facility in Surrey
• Nicola Lodge in Port Coquitlam;
• Peace Arch Hospital Foundation Lodge in White Rock;
• Queen’s Park Care Centre in New Westminster;
• Rideau Retirement Residence in Burnaby;
• Royal City Manor in New Westminster;
• St. Michael’s Centre Extended Care in Burnaby;
• Suncreek Village in Surrey;
• The Harrison at Elim Village in Surrey; and
• Waterford Retirement Residence in Delta.

The two active outbreaks at a seniors’ living facilities in Northern Health are at Jubilee Lodge in Prince George, and Acropolis Manor in Prince Rupert.

The nine active outbreaks at seniors’ living facilities in Interior Health are at:
• Brocklehurst Gemstone Care Centre in Kamloops;
• Creekside Landing in Vernon;
• Heritage Retirement Residence in West Kelowna;
• Heritage Square in Vernon;
• Noric House in Vernon;
• Sunnybank Retirement Home in Oliver; and
• Williams Lake Seniors Village in Williams Lake.

In Island Health, there are two seniors’ facilities with an active outbreak of COVID-19:
• Chartwell Malaspina Care Residence in Nanaimo; and
• Hart House in Victoria.

gkorstrom@biv.com

@GlenKorstrom
 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Nova Scotia's freedom of information online service reopens after lengthy redesign – HalifaxToday.ca

Published

 on


HALIFAX — Nova Scotia has restored an online portal through which the public can submit freedom of information requests, almost three years after the site was shut down because of a security breach.

The new site was launched Thursday and allows people to track the progress of requests, pay fees and receive responses.

The site was shut down in March 2018 after a 19-year-old downloaded documents from the site to his home computer.

About 7,000 documents were accessed over two days, affecting 700 people.

The young man wasn’t charged because he told officers he had used a widely available software to search for documents about a teachers’ labour dispute, and it became clear to authorities that the basic firewalls weren’t in place.

The province says it has updated and improved security features on the site to prevent further breaches.

Paula Arab, Nova Scotia’s Internal Services minister, said the province has a five-year contract worth $760,000 with two companies to operate the site.

Arab said it took time to set up the portal because the project was split into several parts. One portion involved receiving requests while another involved disclosing documents. Added security measures also required time, she said.

“We wanted to do as many security tests as we could and to come up with the right solutions, and we took seriously two reports given to us following the (security) breach,” Arab said.

The new access to information application site can be found at iaprequest.novascotia.ca.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 21, 2021.

The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Pregnant women advised to weigh risks of getting COVID vaccine, talk with their doctor – CBC.ca

Published

 on


A doctor at the IWK Health Centre in Halifax says pregnant women should talk with their doctors and weigh the risks of getting the COVID-19 vaccine given the lack of data available right now. 

Pregnant women were excluded from initial clinical trials for the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines, which means there’s no information about the safety and efficacy of the vaccine for them. 

Dr. Scott Halperin, director of the Canadian Centre for Vaccinology, said there’s no blanket recommendation telling Canadian women who are pregnant or breastfeeding not to get immunized, but “theoretical risks” should be considered.

“It’s really a case-by-case basis, individual decision of that risk,” he told CBC’s Information Morning on Thursday. “If somebody is not seen coming into contact with people with COVID-19 and they’re pregnant, they might be able to afford to wait several months and get the vaccine as soon as they deliver.”

Women working on the front lines of the pandemic may have different considerations, he added.

Information Morning – NS7:40COVID-19 vaccine while pregnant?

Not everyone is recommended for getting the COVID-19 vaccines, including pregnant people. Immunologist Dr. Scott Halperin tells us why. 7:40

“If somebody is in a position where they are much more likely to be exposed, then that individual risk might be more from the COVID-19 and a woman might choose to get the vaccine during pregnancy, and we’re seeing both of those situations and both of those different types of decisions,” Halperin said.

Early research released in December from the University of British Columbia shows that pregnant women are at higher risk of being hospitalized if they do get the virus compared to non-pregnant women in the same age group.

Researchers cautioned that their study is preliminary and only included data from cases in B.C., Alberta and Ontario.

Data could be available later this year

Halperin said at this point there are no red flags that the COVID vaccines themselves are harmful to a mother and baby.

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization, which provides advice to the federal government, recommends that approved COVID-19 vaccines may be provided to people excluded from clinical trials, “if a risk assessment deems that the benefits of vaccination outweigh the potential risks for the individual.”

“The biggest risk is if somebody, a woman, had a fever with the vaccine, which you can get and if it were a high fever, fever itself can be harmful, not all the time, but occasionally to the fetus, so it’s that type of risk that we’re looking at,” Halperin said. 

That could be a small risk compared to the risk of getting COVID-19, he added.

Dr. Scott Halperin is director of the Canadian Center for Vaccinology and head of pediatric infectious diseases at the IWK Health Centre. (Brooklyn Currie/CBC)

Halperin estimates it could still be six to eight months before data about how pregnant and breastfeeding women respond to the vaccine is available.

“There are women who are getting the vaccine and we’ll be collecting data from women who do receive the vaccine in order to see how they respond to the vaccine and to ensure that it is safe,” he said. 

Halperin advises women trying to get pregnant to take a similar approach and weigh the risks.

“If one gets the vaccine, one should wait about a month or six weeks before getting pregnant … even theoretically there wouldn’t be lasting risks so one doesn’t have to not get pregnant for a year, just for a matter of weeks.” 

He said at one time pregnant women weren’t involved in clinical trials at all over concerns about harming the fetus. 

“That’s no longer considered to be ethically sound because we need to use vaccines in pregnant women, and therefore we need to get data from clinical trials from pregnant women, but they’re still excluded from the initial studies,” Halperin said. 

Studies involving pregnant women and children are only done once the vaccines are deemed safe for the general public, he said.

More vaccines on the horizon

People who are immunocompromised also weren’t part of the initial clinical trials for the vaccines, and Halperin said it’s a good idea for them to talk with their health-care providers about the risks of getting immunized. 

“Right now, there are very few exclusions to getting vaccinated,” he said. “People who have had anaphylactic reactions to vaccines in the past … should take care with immunizing.”

Halperin said more vaccines will be available to Nova Scotians in the months ahead. The U.K. was the first country to approve the new AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine and Halperin expects Canada won’t be far behind.

“Hopefully within a month or so, we’ll have maybe four vaccines and further ones a couple of months beyond that.”

MORE TOP STORIES

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending