Connect with us

Tech

2019 was 'historic' but 2020 could be the 'greatest' for Apple, says analyst – Times of India

Published

 on


Last year this time, it was supposed to be all doom and gloom for Apple. There were reports about the iPhones XS, XS Max and XR not doing well and the Cupertino-based tech giant was ‘struggling’, according to most analysts. Now, an analyst says that the turnaround of Apple has been CEO Tim Cook’s “finest hour.” A report by CultofMac quotes Dan Ives, an analyst with Wedbush, who says that Apple had a “historic year” in 2019 and is set to have a great 2020 as well.

The CultofMac report cites an investor note by Ives, where he wrote, “A year ago Cupertino was facing major Herculean-like challenges around lagging China demand, tariff escalation on the horizon, increasing competition on smartphones, and trailing Samsung and others in the key 5G race,” Ives writes. He further said that investors thought that Apple’s growth story was over.

Ives says that Cook turned it around with critical decisions like settling long-standing dispute with Qualcomm, acquiring Intel’s modem business for a billion dollars, carefully managing to ‘sort’ the China problem, and of course, the launch of iPhone 11.

For 2020, Ives is overtly optimistic for Apple as he says that, “To this point, we believe 200 million units could be the starting point for 5G Apple smartphone demand as roughly 350 million iPhones within the 900 million installed base of Cupertino are currently in the window of an upgrade opportunity.”

Clearly, Ives believes that a 5G iPhone could be a definite game changer for Apple. He also says that Apple will continue to see more growth in China particularly with Huawei still struggling with its various issues in the smartphone industry.

Apple, as per several rumours and leaks, is set to launch as many as five iPhones in 2020. Reports have indicated that the first iPhone of the year will be a really affordable variant, which is being touted as the successor to the iPhone SE.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

COVID-19 update for Oct. 19: 499 new cases, two additional deaths – Standard Freeholder

Published

 on


Here’s your daily BC COVID update with everything you need to know on the novel coronavirus situation in B.C. for Oct. 19, 2020.

Here’s your daily update with everything you need to know on the novel coronavirus situation in B.C. for Oct. 19, 2020.

We’ll provide summaries of what’s going on in B.C. right here so you can get the latest news at a glance. This page will be updated regularly throughout the day, with developments added as they happen.

Check back here for more updates throughout the day.


B.C.’S COVID-19 CASE NUMBERS

As of the latest figures given on Oct. 19:
• Total number of confirmed cases: 11,687 (1,639 active)
• New cases since Oct. 16: 499
• Hospitalized cases: 67
• Intensive care: 19
• COVID-19 related deaths: 253
• Cases under public health monitoring: 4,028
• Long-term care and assisted-living homes, and acute care facilities currently affected: 19

IN-DEPTH: COVID-19: Here are all the B.C. cases of the novel coronavirus


B.C. GUIDES AND LINKS

COVID-19: Here’s everything you need to know about the novel coronavirus

COVID-19: Have you been exposed? Here are all B.C. public health alerts

COVID-19 at B.C. schools: Here are the school district exposure alerts

COVID-19: Avoid these hand sanitizers that are recalled in Canada

COVID-19: Here’s where to get tested in Metro Vancouver

B.C. COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment Tool


LATEST NEWS on COVID-19 in B.C.

3 p.m. – B.C. records 499 new cases, two additional deaths

Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, says the province recorded 499 new cases of COVID-19 over the weekend and two additional deaths from the respiratory disease.

“We are in the second wave of the COVID-19 storm in B.C. but we have control of what that wave looks like,” said Henry. “There continues to be COVID-19 transmission in many parts of our province and we know that this is expected. This virus has not gone away.”

Henry said she is encourage that B.C. is not seeing exponential growth, but, rather continued and ongoing growth.

“We do have more people in the hospital than we did a few weeks ago, but that has also stabilized,” she said. “We need, however, to make sure that we are doing what we can to avoid a steep and sudden increase in new cases that we have seen in other parts of Canada, in our neighbouring countries and around the world.”

12:45 p.m. – COVID-19 cases in Canada surpass 200,000

The total number of COVID-19 cases in Canada has passed 200,000.

The latest case numbers from Saskatchewan lifted the national tally over the bleak milestone.

The development comes just over four months after Canada reached the 100,000-case threshold.

The bulk of the country’s case load has been concentrated in Ontario and Quebec, though numbers have been surging in much of the country in recent weeks as Canada deals with a second wave of the global pandemic.

The Canadian Press

10:20 a.m. – More B.C. flight exposures added

A number of flights either departing from or arriving in B.C. have been added to a COVID-19 exposure list.

The B.C. Centre for Disease Control added a number of new flights to its exposure watchlist over the weekend including both domestic and international flights.

10 a.m. – Exposure alert at No Frills grocery store in Langley

Loblaws Canada is reporting a possible COVID-19 exposure threat at a No Frills grocery store in Langley.

The company says a staff member at Michael’s No Frills, at 204th Street, has tested positive for COVID-19.

The staff member last worked at the store on Oct. 12.

Loblaws says all safety precautions have been followed and the store has reopened following a deep clean.

8:30 a.m. – B.C. ski resorts face winter without international cash cows

As B.C.’s world-class ski resorts brace of a winter without international tourists due to closed borders, many are betting that locals eager to get onto the slopes will help make up for the lost revenues for the resorts.

Canada closed its borders since March to all but immediate and extended family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to limit the spread of COVID-19.

“We are desperately trying to make that up with domestic booking,” said Michael Ballingall, senior vice president of Big White Ski Resort, located around 450 km (280 miles) east of Vancouver. The resort plans to roll out flight deals and discounts on long-term stays to attract Canadians.

Although international visitors represent just 21% of reservations, they contribute 32% of revenue, Ballingall said, underscoring how the different spending patterns of domestic visitors won’t necessarily bridge the budget gap – Canadians take fewer lessons, buy little or no equipment and eat out less frequently.

Meanwhile, Tourism Whistler declined to say how much accommodation bookings dropped this year, but said that in a normal year 60% of Whistler’s visitors were international.

Reuters

8:15 a.m. – Companies have modest hiring plans, low wage growth expectations, Bank of Canada says

The Bank of Canada says companies are hedging hiring plans and wage growth expectations in the coming months over heightened uncertainty from the COVID-19 pandemic.

The central bank’s business outlook survey finds hiring intentions remain below their historical averages, suggesting modest hiring plans even as the overall outlook on employment edges up.

Almost one-third of businesses told the bank they expect their workforce numbers to remain below pre-pandemic levels for at least the next 12 months, or to never fully recover.

The survey also finds that wage growth is widely expected to slow over the next year, mostly a result of the pandemic and ongoing uncertainty, with some firms reporting a wage freeze.

The bank also says that nearly half of firms surveyed used the federal wage subsidy program to avoid layoffs or quickly refill positions.

About 100 firms took part in the bank’s regular survey out this morning, but did so between late August and mid-September when COVID-19 case counts were still low.

The Canadian Press

12 a.m. – School exposures grow in B.C., beef plant reports outbreak

School exposures to COVID-19 piled up in B.C. over the weekend, with additional outbreaks reported at a Surrey meat processing plant and care homes in Surrey and Langley.

On Sunday, the principal of Sherwood Park Elementary in North Vancouver told parents that there had been another exposure at the school — within the attached North Shore Child Care Centre — and that the centre would close for two weeks, effective Monday.

12 a.m. – Health Canada calls on British Columbians to download COVID Alert app

Health Canada is asking British Columbians to download its COVID Alert app, despite the provincial government not yet agreeing to support the technology.

Health Canada told Postmedia News that the app could still be of use, despite it not being adopted in B.C.

“The COVID Alert app is free and voluntary, and is another tool to help limit the spread of COVID-19 and prevent future outbreaks,” said Health Canada spokesperson Maryse Durette.

“At all levels of uptake, COVID Alert can help reduce transmission. The more people who use the app the more effective it will be.”



LOCAL RESOURCES for COVID-19 information

Here are a number of information and landing pages for COVID-19 from various health and government agencies.

B.C. COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment Tool

Vancouver Coastal Health – Information on Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

HealthLink B.C. – Coronavirus (COVID-19) information page

B.C. Centre for Disease Control – Novel coronavirus (COVID-19)

Government of Canada – Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak update

World Health Organization – Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak

–with files from The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Apple's Chinese users are mainly snapping up iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models, new data shows – CNBC

Published

 on


GUANGZHOU, China — Chinese consumers have taken a liking to Apple’s new iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro, according to data provided to CNBC.

The two devices in Apple’s new 5G flagship lineup became available for pre-order on Oct. 16. As of 9:30 a.m. China time on Tuesday, 152,737 iPhone 12 units had been pre-ordered, data from Chinese e-commerce site and authorized Apple reseller Fenqile showed.

Fenqile is also taking pre-orders for the iPhone 12 Mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max, even though they’re not officially available until November.

Out of all the pre-ordered iPhones, nearly 43% are iPhone 12 models and over 28% are iPhone 12 Pro models. Just under 19% are iPhone 12 Pro Max orders and nearly 10% are orders for the iPhone 12 Mini, the device with the smallest screen in the lineup.

The Fenqile data comes after a new note from Ming-Chi Kuo, an analyst at TF International Securities, known for his accurate predictions on Apple products and sales.

Apple’s launch promotional material of the New iPhone12 Pro seen displayed on a mobile phone screen with an Apple logo in the background.
Pavlo Gonchar | LightRocket | Getty Images

Kuo reported that Apple sold up to 2 million iPhone 12 units in the first 24 hours, up from 800,000 units of the iPhone 11. He also said that iPhone 12 Pro sold better than expected and that China represented 35% to 45% of that model’s demand.

Indeed, on Apple’s official China website, the iPhone 12 Pro had a delivery time of three to four weeks, higher than the two to three weeks for the base iPhone 12 models. Delivery times for devices can often indicate which models are most popular.

Kuo also predicted that the iPhone 12 Mini wouldn’t sell well in China due to its smaller screen, in a market where larger displays are more popular. On Fenqile, the iPhone 12 Mini has the least amount of pre-orders.

The latest figures will be encouraging for Apple given the importance of the Chinese market to the company but also the high expectations that the iPhone 12 range will spur an upgrade “supercycle.”

Apple’s iPhone 12 64GB in blue makes up 20% of pre-orders on Fenqile with the iPhone 12 Pro 128GB Pacific Blue variant making up 11%. These are the two most popular models.

The Cupertino, California giant has been quite aggressive on pricing. The iPhone 12 Pro is cheaper than last year’s iPhone 11 starting price upon release in China.

“Consumers are looking for the best deal now, even before the pandemic. And both the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro models could provide them favorable prices and screen size experience,” Will Wong, research manager at IDC, told CNBC.

“The iPhone 12 allows consumers to get the first 5G iPhone with more acceptable prices and specs, while iPhone 12 Pro could provide the ‘Pro’ experience to consumers with more affordable prices too.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Health Canada encouraging British Columbians to download COVID Alert – MobileSyrup

Published

 on


Health Canada is encouraging British Columbians to download the COVID Alert app, despite the fact that the province has not yet agreed to support it.

The agency has said that the use of the app could still be useful in curbing the spread of COVID-19.

“It’s still helpful to download COVID Alert from anywhere in the country, even if you can’t use it to report a diagnosis. That way, you’ll be notified if you come into contact with someone from a reporting province or territory or when people in your area are able to report a diagnosis,” a Health Canada spokesperson told Postmedia News.

For context, even though people in the province are unable to submit a positive diagnosis on the app, they can still be notified if they come into contact with someone visiting from a reporting province like Ontario or Quebec.

British Columbia and Alberta are the only two provinces that have not yet signed on to adopt the exposure notification app. Health Canada notes that it is working with provinces and territories, including British Columbia, to roll out the app.

COVID Alert is currently fully functional in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Prince Edward Island. The app has reached more than 4.6 million downloads.

The app can be downloaded for free on Android and iOS.

Source: Postmedia News

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending