FILE PHOTO: The Apple Inc logo is seen hanging at the entrance to the Apple store on 5th Avenue in Manhattan, New York, U.S., October 16, 2019. REUTERS/Mike Segar/File Photo
SHANGHAI (Reuters) – Apple Inc AAPL.N removed 29,800 apps from its Chinese app store on Saturday, including more than 26,000 games, according to data from research firm Qimai.
The takedowns come amid a crackdown on unlicensed games by Chinese authorities.
Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Earlier this year Apple gave game publishers an end-of-June deadline to submit a government-issued licence number enabling users to make in-app purchases.
China’s Android app stores have long complied with those regulations. It is not clear why Apple is enforcing them strictly this year.
The smartphone maker removed more than 2,500 titles from its app store over the first week of July. Games affected by the sweep included titles from Zynga and Supercell, research firm SensorTower reported at the time.
The Chinese government has long sought to enforce stricter regulations on its gaming industry to remove sensitive content.
The approval process for games looking to enable in-app purchases is long and complicated, hurting all but the largest game developers, industry insiders say.
“This affects small- and mid-sized developers’ incomes the most, but due to the difficulties of acquiring a business licence, it’s devastating to the whole iOS game industry in China,” said Todd Kuhn, marketing manager for AppIn China, a firm that helps overseas companies distribute their apps.
Reporting by Josh Horwitz and Brenda Goh in Shanghai, and Pei Li in Hong Kong; Editing by Stephen Coates
Huawei says it’s running out of chips for its smartphones because of US sanctions – The Verge
Huawei, the world’s biggest smartphone vendor, says it’s running out of processor chips because of US sanctions against the company, The Associated Press reported. And according to Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei’s consumer business unit, as of next month the Chinese phone manufacturer will no longer be able to make its own Kirin chipsets due to the ongoing economic pressure from the US.
“Unfortunately, in the second round of U.S. sanctions, our chip producers only accepted orders until May 15. Production will close on Sept. 15,” Yu said at a conference August 7th. “This year may be the last generation of Huawei Kirin high-end chips.” Huawei’s upcoming Mate 40 phone, scheduled for release in September, could be the last phone with a Kirin chip.
The US has accused Huawei of building backdoors into network infrastructure, ostensibly to aid Chinese government spying efforts. Huawei has denied the Trump administration’s accusations of spying. But the Trump administration placed Huawei and 114 of its affiliates on its Entity List in May 2019, which meant US firms were unable to sell technology to the company without explicit US government approval.
It also meant Google was barred from doing business with Huawei, preventing Huawei from being able to obtain an Android license and keeping Google apps off Huawei devices. The order used the International Emergency Economic Powers Act to justify the ban, and reads that “openness must be balanced by the need to protect our country against critical national security threats.”
Trump later extended the order to May 2021. Then in May, the US Commerce Department issued an amended export rule to block shipments of semiconductors to Huawei to “strategically target Huawei’s acquisition of semiconductors that are the direct product of certain US software and technology.”
That rule prevented foreign manufacturers of semiconductors who use American software and technology in their operations from shipping their products to Huawei unless they first obtained a license from the US. Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC), the largest semiconductor manufacturer in the world, reportedly halted orders for Huawei’s HiSilicon unit in May following the new US rule.
Despite the ban in the US, earlier this year, Huawei bested Samsung as the world’s biggest smartphone seller, shipping more phones between April and June than any other company, according to analyst firm Canalys.
The Wall Street Journal reported Saturday that American chipmaker Qualcomm had asked the Trump administration to ease the restrictions on the sale of components to Huawei, and allow it to sell chips to Huawei for use in its 5G phones.
Dr Disrespect is streaming again and says he has "no idea" why he was banned from Twitch – GamesRadar+
Streamer Dr Disrespect has returned to streaming on YouTube.
In a broadcast entitled “Dr Disrespect is BACK. And the entire world watched”, Dr Disrespect – whose real name is Guy Beahm – broadcast to a peak of 510,000 viewers over the weekend (thanks, Gamespot).
Beahm kicked off the stream in a candid address with his audience about his mysterious Twitch ban. “A lot of people wanna know… they wanna know what happened.’ Why did you get banned?'” Beahm said. “Guess what? I want you to look me in the f–king eyes when I say this, okay? We still have no idea.
“We have no idea. And I’m gonna tell you this right now… as far as I’m concerned, we didn’t do anything to warrant a ban, let alone how they went about banning us. No communication before. No reaching out. Nothing. Boom. Done.”
While there’s no confirmation of a formal deal between Beahm and YouTube, the streamer acknowledged he was letting “the legal professionals do what they need to do” in regards to his “heavy contract” with Twitch.
Dr Disrespect was permanently banned from Twitch in June. It remains unclear why Dr Disrespect was removed from the streaming platform, although Dr Disrespect was quick to issue a statement saying the company had not confirmed the “specific reason” on why his channel was deleted.
“As is our process, we take appropriate action when we have evidence that a streamer has acted in violation of our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service,” a Twitch representative told press at the time. “These apply to all streamers regardless of status or prominence in the community.”
Prior to his removal, Dr Disrespect had over four million followers on the streaming platform, as well as that “heavy” exclusivity contract with Twitch.
Beahm is no stranger to controversy, of course. As we summarised recently, during E3 2019, Beahm had a cameraman following him around, live streaming his experience. He followed him inside the male bathrooms at the event while continuing to stream, which is against convention rules. He was subsequently suspended from Twitch and his E3 badge was revoked, but two weeks later, his Twitch channel was reinstated.
In August last year, Musician Jimmy Wong called out Dr DisRespect for being outwardly racist on stream and performing caricatures of Chinese accents.
There’s a lot to get excited about in gaming this year. Here are the upcoming games of 2020 we really just can’t wait for.
DrDisrespect Creates History On Youtube And Hints At Production Company – Essentially Sports
The entire gaming world stood firmly gripped by suspense on the 7th and 8th of August. DrDisrespect, the two-time champ, played off one of the sickest ploys in streaming history. He did not have to appear, but boy, when he did, he broke Youtube. Not to mention, he crossed Ninja’s return to live streaming too.
DrDisrespect is not just looking at gaming anymore; he is, undoubtedly the most entertaining streamer on the planet. This man isn’t just a streamer, he is a marketing and branding genius. On top of that, he knows what it takes to be a champion, and that mindset attracts people. He did not have to show his face to cross viewership ratings. However, during his no-show stream, he dropped bombs on several eSports players, organizations and games.
With his return, he has spoken up about how Twitch banned him without any reason. Although, he still mentions how intricate the matter is. Any sort of premature comment on these things can make it difficult in a legal tussle.
DrDisrespect hints at his own production company
I’m sitting here in a bathrobe staring at the mirror, and I couldn’t help reminisce…
Yesterday marked a new beginning for the Champions Club, but let’s not forget how we arrived in the first place.
Nobody does it better. pic.twitter.com/yLPWBrubD1
— Dr Disrespect (@drdisrespect) August 8, 2020
If anyone can do it then it’s him, the man has more experience in streaming more than anyone else. His theatricality and resourcefulness knows no bounds, and to top it off; he actually has what it takes to be an entertainer. When we look at people like Ninja, Nickmerks, TimTheTatman – they are all great gamers, but Doc is just a better entertainer.
“It started 11 years ago, here on Youtube, and boy, oh boy, oh boy, does it feel good to be back.”
Most of it can be understood if you ask this question, would you like to see Ninja stream alone? Or would you rather prefer Doc. It is incredible how someone can be charismatic enough to pretty much entertain us himself while playing a game.
Read more – Ninja Following Fellow Streamer to Hollywood
“As far as I am concerned, we didn’t do anything wrong”
DrDisrespect cleared his statement and then went on to talk about the “cockroach approach,” and big money involved. His tweet suggestive of his own production company with a naughty little remark “nobody does it better,” proves how Doc knows how to attracts viewers.
For now, it is brilliant to see him back, streaming, gaming, joking the same way he used to. It’s best to perhaps enjoy this phase rather than asking questions about the Twitch fiasco. Doc showing a lot of resolve through tough times and that is why we are sure he will get back on his feet in no time.
Huawei says it’s running out of chips for its smartphones because of US sanctions – The Verge
Six new COVID-19 cases reported in Ottawa on Sunday – CTV Edmonton
Penguin Poo Is a Clue: Discovering New Penguin Colonies From Space – SciTechDaily
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019 – report – MINING.com
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Sports22 hours ago
Oilers 50/50 winning numbers haven’t been posted after raffle plagued by technical problems
- Tech9 hours ago
iPhone 12 display leaked
- Sports9 hours ago
Haotong Li’s ball disappears
- News7 hours ago
Canada reports 220 Coronavirus new cases, 6 more deaths
- Sports7 hours ago
Maple Leafs, Blue Jackets must ‘reset’ selves in Game 5 of Cup Qualifiers
- Sports14 hours ago
PGA Championship, Round 3: Leaderboard, tee times, TV times – pgatour.com
- Sports19 hours ago
Quick Shifts: Why Maple Leafs’ shocker could catapult to big things – Sportsnet.ca
- Sports11 hours ago
Calgary woman gets $600 bill for Oilers 50/50 tickets after website malfunction – Calgary Herald