There are several dungeons in Baldur’s Gate 3. One that you’ll have to visit during the course of your playthrough is the Gauntlet of Shar. There, you have to complete a few tasks to obtain Umbral Gems, leading you deeper into its inner recesses. Our guide discusses the Baldur’s Gate 3 Gauntlet of Shar puzzles, as well as the trials that you’ll encounter.
How to Complete Gauntlet of Shar puzzles in Baldur’s Gate 3
Before we delve deeper into the Baldur’s Gate 3 Gauntlet of Shar location, it bears mentioning that this is related to Shadowheart’s Daughter of Darkness quest, so you should definitely have her in your party. Moreover, one of the objectives is tied to Astarion’s Pale Elf quest. Having him for the ride will be quite helpful, especially due to all the traps in the area.
In any case, you can find the Gauntlet of Shar in the underground section of Thorm Mausoleum. The crypt is located south of Last Light Inn. Simply follow the road and cross the river to reach Reithwin Town, then head north from there. Once you tag a waypoint past the graveyard, you’ll meet with the devil Raphael, who has a proposition for Astarion. You need to defeat one of his rivals lurking in the dungeon.
How to Solve the Mausoleum Puzzle
The first Gauntlet of Shar puzzle in Baldur’s Gate 3 is actually in the Thorm Mausoleum. If you read a book, it says that one must walk in General Thorm’s footsteps: “From splendor, to tragedy, to infamy.”
When you reach the topmost chamber, you’ll see a coffin and three murals. There are also several traps, so make sure you ungroup your party so Astarion can disarm them (assuming that he has the highest Sleight of Hand skill). You then need to interact with the murals in the following order:
- Splendor – The mural shows Moonrise Towers.
- Tragedy – It shows Thorm crying over his dead daughter.
- Infamy – Thorm sits upon a throne looking at his audience with ill intent.
Solving the puzzle opens the doorway. This lets you ride the elevator to the Gauntlet of Shar proper.
How to Solve the Statue Puzzle
In the initial chamber, you’ll notice a statue holding an orb. You’ll get pushed back if you attempt to approach it. Here’s what you need to do:
- Check the side rooms and pull the levers to lower all the lanterns.
- Beware of triggering traps, as these cause clouds of darkness to appear. Characters will take damage when standing in these clouds as rats, which they can’t target, will attack them.
- Once all the lanterns are lowered, interact with them to extinguish the light.
When the room is completely shrouded in darkness, you’ll see a pattern on the floor. Use only one character to crouch-walk and avoid the glowing lines. This lets you touch the orb to unlock the doorway.
Balthazar and Battles
The next section in the Baldur’s Gate 3 Gauntlet of Shar dungeon leads to a battle against several Justiciar undead. The ones you need to worry about are the Umbral Tremors, which look like black holes. If they’re not destroyed, they’ll cause another undead soldier to spawn.
After eliminating the hostiles, you’ll notice another device and a platform, but you can’t do anything about those just yet. Instead, make your way to the left to tag the waypoint. Further to the left is another fight against undead foes. There are also a few other rooms here:
- The locked room to the north has several treasure chests, one of which has an Infernal Iron for Karlach.
- The chamber to the left is Balthazar’s lair. He wants your help, and he even gives you an item to summon a Flesh Golem.
- To the south, you’ll see a statue of Shar that your characters can pray to. There’s a Religion check that you must pass, and doing so grants a buff to necrotic damage resistance. Conversely, failing the check confers a penalty. We also advise you not to try this with Shadowheart, as it says that the action will cause her to give her heart and soul to Shar without any reservations. While we can’t confirm it yet, this might affect the Shadowheart romance.
Where to Find the Orthon
To complete this part of Astarion’s Pale Elf quest, you’ll want to head to the right (from the waypoint). At the staircase, you’ll spot a Displacer Beast. (We know that cats are awesome, but this one might be dangerous.)
Anyway, follow it to the antechamber that’s filled with bones. This particular section of the dungeon, as well as the trial rooms, happen to have Umbral Gems. These are quest items that you need to power up the central device.
As you approach the throne, the demon Orthon will appear outta nowhere. It’s been trapped in the dungeon for centuries and it wants to get out. If you fail to convince it, this will lead to a tough battle, since the hostile mobs are on a ledge above you. But, there’s another method:
- Say that you can try to help it, then ask about its contract with Raphael. You need to pass a hidden Arcana check to discover that the contract was made to trick him.
- This will cause another Persuasion response to appear. You must say that his followers are still there, and they need to die. He’ll immediately kill his lowly minions.
- If you succeed with the next reply, he’ll be forced to kill his Displacer Beast pet. (Oh, no! The cat!)
- And, finally, you can say that he’s still in the area, so he probably has to die, too.
If you can convince the Orthon to take itself out, or if you manage to beat it in battle, you can loot its ashes for an Infernal Iron and the Hellfire Hand Crossbow. The ranged weapon has the following features:
- +2 enchantment
- Hellstalker – Chance to apply burning when you hit a target while you’re hiding or invisible.
- Scorching Ray Shot – Unlocked spell.
The Gauntlet of Shar Trials
Next up, we discuss the various trials in the Baldur’s Gate 3 Gauntlet of Shar. You’ll find these in the left-hand side of the dungeon along a corridor that’s close to the waypoint. To start these activities, interact with the Shar altar and have Shadowheart spill her blood. Each trial you complete nets you another Umbral Gem.
Upon entering the Self-Same Trial room, you’ll face the doppelgangers of your squad. They’ll use the same spells and skills, so watch out for their attacks. Ideally, you’ll want each party member to target their duplicate. If they hit a different mirror image, their ability scores will be reduced until the next long rest.
We suggest just ignoring the debuff so you can take out your enemies at will, rather than picking specific targets per character. You can just take a long rest after this bout. You can also pick up the Killer’s Sweetheart ring. This gives you a reaction where you can choose your next hit to be a critical after you’ve killed a target (refreshes after each long rest).
The Soft-Step Trial is a small maze that’s being patrolled by a couple of Shadows. If you’re discovered, you’ll be teleported back to the entrance. We just used Astarion here to avoid detection, all while lockpicking gates and disarming traps.
The third trial in the Baldur’s Gate 3 Gauntlet of Shar takes place in a room that’s quite dark. You should see the outline of ledges in the distance. But, once you get close enough, they’ll disappear. Upon reaching the back-right section, you’ll want to gingerly move closer to the center, then you can jump to the ledge with the statue. The lights will turn on and you’ll receive the Umbral Gem.
We did include an image below, but we also suggest taking a screenshot so you can recheck the outlines as you’re jumping and moving.
And that’s it, you’ve done all the Gauntlet of Shar puzzles and trials in Baldur’s Gate 3. All that’s left is to place the Umbral Gems in the device. The first device only needs one, but the other further below requires the remaining three.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is filled to the brim with activities and secrets. You’ll no doubt be part of an adventure that can take countless hours to complete. For other tips, you can visit our BG3 guides hub.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors.
GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
The Future of MSP IT Companies
MSPs require tools that enable them to provide a comprehensive managed services experience, which means having one platform with all of the essential productivity, data availability, and security tools combined into an easy-to-use package.
This is one of the many pros of MSPs, as they can offer a one-stop shop for all of your IT needs.
Cybersecurity and emerging technology, including automation, are major trends for MSPs who look forward to the future. In coming research briefs we’ll address these topics more in-depth.
Opting for the appropriate managed service provider (MSP) for your business is a critical decision, which has far-reaching effects on daily operations. Finding a partner that is reliable and can meet all of its IT needs is essential to meeting those objectives successfully.
A reliable MSP will conduct an intensive assessment of your company’s infrastructure and processes to fully comprehend your IT requirements, offering services that best suit them for data plans, telecom options, business applications, and hardware needs.
MSPs also provide 24/7 monitoring and support, meaning if a problem does arise it can be handled instantly compared to waiting for assistance from an overburdened in-house tech team. This ensures consistent service, reducing downtime and lost revenue as a result.
As an MSP, your goal should be to expand the services you offer and increase revenue – whether that means expanding customer bases or adding innovative technologies.
But it is also essential to bear in mind that not all changes are scalable; some could impede on your business’s efficiency, leading to more expenses than profits – this phenomenon is known as diseconomies of scale, and it could spell doom for your enterprise.
Implementing new software solutions such as Tanium may require upgrading your infrastructure, which takes time and money. Working with an experienced IT partner is highly recommended to ensure that any upgrades made are scalable – they have evaluated many solutions that may work for your business and know which are ideal.
MSP companies can provide businesses with essential cybersecurity services that will assist in maintaining security. MSP companies can assist businesses with software deployment, patch management and configuration control as well as the creation and implementation of an unified threat detection and response platform to detect evolving threats.
An MSP can be an invaluable asset to smaller businesses with limited IT resources, but it must balance client needs against budgetary limitations and the risk of cyber breaches.
Customers should review MSP contracts carefully to ensure they provide adequate security measures, limit attack surface by enforcing multifactor authentication (MFA) on all accounts, and track unexplained failures in authentication. In addition, it’s wise to regularly review and delete MSP accounts when they’re no longer managing infrastructure.
An outstanding MSP provides more than just scalability; they also have the flexibility needed to help clients find solutions tailored specifically to meet business needs and budget constraints, helping to avoid costly organizational downtime.
Working from home and cloud management are driving managed services market growth well past 2020, so MSPs that offer their clients access to tools and support will be well positioned to capitalize on this market shift and remain profitable long term.
An MSP that can offer additional services will also be able to reduce customer churn and boost its revenue per client, such as IT strategy consulting or backup and recovery solutions.
MSPs offer many businesses an efficient and cost-effective method for handling IT. Their services tend to be much cheaper than what it would cost an enterprise to implement and manage on their own, and provide more flexibility and scalability than when the task falls on them alone.
MSPs typically specialize in specific aspects of technology or vendor management, enabling them to provide more effective IT solutions than an in-house team could. A good MSP also serves as a single point of contact and becomes familiar with their client’s business over time.
Outsourcing certain technology functions to a Canadian IT company can also lower overhead costs by freeing up internal employees to focus more on revenue-generating activities, leading to greater productivity and efficiency within a company.
Apple Releases iOS 17 With StandBy, Live Voicemail, Improved Autocorrect, FaceTime Video Messages and Tons More
Apple today released iOS 17 and iPadOS 17, the latest operating system updates that are designed for the iPhone and iPad. As with all of Apple’s software updates, iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 are available for free. iOS 17 is compatible with the iPhone XR/iPhone XS and later, while iPadOS 17 runs on the iPad mini 5 and later, the iPad 6 and later, iPad Air 3 and later, the second-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro and later, all 11-inch iPad Pro models, and the 10.5-inch iPad Pro.
Apple’s updated software, which is build 21A329, can be downloaded on eligible iPhones and iPads over-the-air by going to Settings > General > Software Update. It can take a few minutes for the updates to propagate to all users due to high demand.
While you download iOS 17, make sure to check out our dedicated iOS 17 roundup for a full rundown of all of the features in the update. We’ve highlighted a few of the most notable additions below, but this is a huge update with hundreds of changes.
iOS 17 expands on last year’s Lock Screen updates with the addition of interactive widgets and StandBy, a new feature that turns the iPhone into a mini home hub when it is charging. You can now see voicemail transcriptions in real time, and leave video messages in FaceTime. FaceTime also now works on the Apple TV with tvOS 17.
With NameDrop, exchanging contacts is as simple as touching two phones together, and Messages has been overhauled with new safety features and updates to the way that stickers work. Autocorrect is better than ever, Spotlight search has been improved, private browsing in Safari is more secure with Face ID lock, and there’s now a mood tracking feature in the Health app.
Passwords can be shared in iCloud Keychain and AirTags can be shared among family members too, plus there are new features for the AirPods Pro. Apple has also added updates to Siri, Mail, Reminders, Notes, Home, and more. Full release notes for the update are below.
iOS 17 brings big updates to Phone, Messages, and FaceTime that give you new ways to express yourself as you communicate. StandBy delivers a new full-screen experience with glanceable information designed to view from a distance when you turn iPhone on its side while charging. AirDrop makes it easier to share and connect with those around you and adds NameDrop for contact sharing. Enhancements to the keyboard make entering text faster and easier than ever before. iOS 17 also includes updates to Widgets, Safari, Music, AirPlay, and more.
– Contact Posters let you customize how you appear on other people’s devices when you call them with a customized poster
– Live Voicemail displays a live transcription as someone leaves a message and allows you to pick up the call
– Stickers iMessage app brings all your stickers into one place including Live Stickers, Memoji, Animoji, emoji stickers, and your third party sticker packs
– Live Stickers can be created by lifting the subject from photos or videos and stylizing them with effects like Shiny, Puffy, Comic, and Outline
– Check In automatically notifies a family member or friend when you arrive at a destination safely and can share helpful information with them in case of a delay
– Audio message transcription is available for audio messages you receive so you can read them in the moment and listen later
– Search improvements help you find messages faster by allowing you to combine search filters such as people, keywords, and content types like photos or links to find exactly what you are looking for
– Swipe to reply to a message inline by swiping to the right on any bubble
– One-time verification code cleanup automatically deletes verification codes from the Messages app after using them with AutoFill in other apps
– Leave a video or audio message to capture exactly what you want to say when someone does not pick up your FaceTime call
– Enjoy FaceTime calls on Apple TV by using your iPhone as a camera (Apple TV 4K 2nd generation and later)
– Reactions layer 3D effects like hearts, balloons, confetti, and more around you in video calls and can be triggered with gestures
– Video effects allow you to adjust the intensity of Studio Lighting and Portrait mode
– Full-screen experience with glanceable information like clocks, photos, and widgets designed to view from a distance when iPhone is on its side and charging in places such as your nightstand, kitchen counter, or desk
– Clocks are available in a variety of styles including Digital, Analog, Solar, Float, and World Clock, with elements you can personalize like the accent color
– Photos automatically shuffle through your best shots or showcase a specific album you choose
– Widgets give you access to information at a distance and appear in Smart Stacks that deliver the right information at the right time
– Night Mode lets clocks, photos, and widgets take on a red tone in low light
– Preferred view per MagSafe charger remembers your preference for each place you charge with MagSafe, whether that’s a clock, photos, or widgets
– Interactive widgets let you take actions, like mark a reminder as complete, directly from the widget by tapping it on the Home Screen, Lock Screen, or in StandBy
– iPhone widgets on Mac enable you to add widgets from your iPhone to your Mac desktop
– NameDrop lets you exchange contact information with someone new by bringing your iPhones close together
– New way to initiate AirDrop allows you to share content or start a SharePlay session over AirDrop by bringing your iPhones close together
– Improved autocorrect accuracy makes typing even easier by leveraging a powerful transformer-based language model (iPhone 12 and later)
– Easier autocorrect editing temporarily underlines corrected words and lets you revert back to what you originally typed with just a tap
– Enhanced sentence corrections can correct more types of grammatical mistakes when you finish sentences (iPhone 12 and later)
– Inline predictive text shows single and multi-word predictions as you type that can be added by tapping space bar (iPhone 12 and later)
Safari and Passwords
– Profiles keep your browsing separate for topics like work and personal, separating your history, cookies, extensions, Tab Groups, and favorites
– Private Browsing enhancements include locking your private browsing windows when you’re not using them, blocking known trackers from loading, and removing identifying tracking from URLs
– Password and passkey sharing lets you create a group of passwords to share with trusted contacts that stays up to date as members of the group make changes
– One-time verification code AutoFill from Mail autofill in Safari so you can log in without leaving the browser
– SharePlay makes it easy for everyone to control and play Apple Music in the car
– Crossfade smoothly transitions between songs by fading out the currently playing song while fading in the next so the music never stops
– Intelligent AirPlay device list makes finding the right AirPlay-compatible TV or speaker even easier by showing your devices in order of relevance, based on your preferences
– Suggested AirPlay device connections are proactively shown to you as a notification to make it even more seamless to connect to your preferred AirPlay devices
– Automatic AirPlay device connections are made between your iPhone and the most relevant AirPlay-compatible device so all you have to do is tap “Play” to begin enjoying your content
– Adaptive Audio delivers a new listening mode that dynamically blends Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency to tailor the noise control experience based on the conditions of your environment (AirPods Pro (2nd generation) with firmware version 6A300 or later)
– Personalized Volume adjusts the volume of your media in response to your environment and listening preferences over time (AirPods Pro (2nd generation) with firmware version 6A300 or later)
– Conversation Awareness lowers your media volume and enhances the voices of the people in front of the user, all while reducing background noise (AirPods Pro (2nd generation) with firmware version 6A300 or later)
– Press to mute and unmute your microphone by pressing the AirPods stem or the Digital Crown on AirPods Max when on a call (AirPods (3rd generation), AirPods Pro (1st and 2nd generation), or AirPods Max with firmware version 6A300 or later)
– Offline Maps allow you to select an area you want to access, search, and explore rich information for places to download for use when your iPhone doesn’t have a Wi-Fi or cellular signal
– EV routing improvements give you routes based on real-time EV charger availability for supported chargers
– Option to say “Siri” in addition to “Hey Siri” for an even more natural way to make requests
– Back-to-back requests can be issued without needing to reactivate Siri in between commands (iPhone 11 and later)
Visual Look Up
– Expanded domains in Visual Look Up help you discover similar recipes from photos of food, Maps information from photos of storefronts, and the meaning of signs and symbols on things like laundry tags
– Multiple or single subjects can be lifted from the background of photos and videos and placed into apps like Messages
– Visual Look Up in Video helps you learn about objects that appear in paused video frames
– Visual Look Up for subjects in photos enables you to look up information about objects you lift from photos directly from the callout bar
– State of Mind reflection allows you to log your momentary emotion and daily mood, choose what factors are having the biggest impact on you, and describe your feelings
– Interactive charts give you insights into your state of mind, how it has changed over time, and what factors may have influence such as exercise, sleep, and mindful minutes
– Mental health assessments help you understand your current risk for depression and anxiety and if you might benefit from getting support
– Screen Distance leverages the TrueDepth camera that powers Face ID to encourage you to increase the distance you view your device to reduce digital eye strain and can help reduce the risk of myopia in children
– Sensitive Content Warnings can be enabled to prevent users from unexpectedly being shown images containing nudity in Messages, AirDrop, Contact Posters in the Phone app, and FaceTime messages
– Expanded Communication Safety protections for children now detect videos containing nudity in addition to photos that children may receive or attempt to send in Messages, AirDrop, Contact Posters in the Phone app, FaceTime messages, and the system Photo picker
– Improved sharing permissions give you even more control over what you share with apps, with an embedded photo picker and an add-only Calendar permission
– Link tracking protection removes extra information from links shared in Messages, Mail, and Safari Private Browsing that some websites use in their URLs to track you across other websites, and links still work as expected
– Assistive Access distills apps and experiences to their essential features in Phone and FaceTime, Messages, Camera, Photos, and Music, including large text, visual alternatives, and focused choices to lighten cognitive load
– Live Speech lets you type what you want to say and have it be spoken out loud in phone calls, FaceTime calls, and for in-person conversations
– Personal Voice enables users who are at risk of losing their voice to privately and securely create a voice that sounds like them on iPhone, and use it with Live Speech in phone and FaceTime calls
– Point and Speak in Magnifier Detection Mode uses iPhone to read text out loud on physical objects with small text labels, such as keypads on doors and buttons on appliances
This release also includes other features and improvements:
– Roadside Assistance via satellite lets you contact AAA to help you with vehicle issues when out of Wi-Fi or cellular range (iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max)
– Pets in the People album in Photos surfaces individual pets in the album just like friends or family members
– Photos Album widget lets you select a specific album from the Photos app to appear in the widget
– Item sharing in Find My allows you to share an AirTag or Find My network accessory with up to five other people
– Activity History in Home displays a recent history of events for door locks, garage doors, security systems, and contact sensors
– Grid Forecast in Home shows when your electrical grid has cleaner energy sources available (Contiguous US only)
– Grocery Lists in Reminders automatically group related items into sections as you add them
– Inline PDFs and document scans in Notes are presented full-width, making them easy to view and mark them up
– New Memoji stickers in Keyboard include Halo, Smirk, and Peekaboo
– App Shortcuts in Spotlight Top Hit offer you app shortcuts to your next action when you search for an app
– Redesigned Sharing tab in Fitness provides highlights of your friends’ activity like workout streaks and awards
– Email or phone number sign-in lets you sign into your iPhone with any email address or phone number listed in your Apple ID account
– New drawing tools in Freeform include a fountain pen, watercolor brush, ruler and more to create expressive boards
– Crash Detection optimizations (iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max)
Unity Overhauls Controversial Price Hike After Game Developers Revolt
(Bloomberg) — Video-game tool maker Unity Software Inc. said Monday it’s backtracking on major aspects of a controversial new price hike, telling staff in an all-hands meeting that it’s now considering changes including a cap on potential fees.
Unity, which operates and licenses a suite of video-game development tools called the Unity Engine, set off a firestorm last week when it announced plans to charge customers for every new installation of their game after a certain threshold. The decision triggered widespread protests, leading several video-game makers to say they would boycott Unity until the policy is changed.
Under the tentative new plan, Unity will limit fees to 4% of a game’s revenue for customers making over $1 million and said that installations counted toward reaching the threshold won’t be retroactive, according to recording of the meeting reviewed by Bloomberg. Last week, Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello delayed an all-hands meeting on the pricing changes and closed two offices after the company received what it said was a credible death threat.
The company apologized to customers on Sunday and said it would be making changes to the pricing policy.
Marc Whitten, a Unity executive, said the company hasn’t yet announced the latest changes because executives are still running them by partners and don’t want to repeat last week’s communications debacle, which led to several clarifications.
One of the most controversial elements of the policy concerned how Unity would track installations of its software. Although the company first said it would use proprietary tools, Whitten said Monday management will rely on users to self-report the data.
In the meeting, Riccitiello emphasized that the new policy is designed to generate more revenue from the company’s biggest customers and that more than 90% of Unity users won’t be affected. Several employees asked during the meeting how Unity would bounce back from what appeared to be a breach of trust. Executives said the company will have to “show, not tell” and handle future communications more carefully.
“I don’t think there’s any version of this that would have gone down a whole lot differently than what happened,” Riccitiello said. “It is a massively transformational change to our business model.”
But, he acknowledged, “I think we could have done a lot of things a lot better.”
How India is pouring billions of dollars into Canada's economy – The Economic Times
Senators propose international student program reforms – CTV News
New gallery spaces showcasing Scottish art to open in Edinburgh – The Guardian
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Search for life on Mars accelerates as new bodies of water found below planet’s surface
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Art13 hours ago
Art: 10-year mission to paint everyone in St Davids
Business13 hours ago
Autoworkers can still expand their strike against carmakers
News18 hours ago
India-Canada news LIVE: US provided Canada intelligence on Nijjar’s killing-NYT
Real eState19 hours ago
Pollievre proposes new housing bill and more Canadian real estate news for September 23
Media23 hours ago
Ukraine to receive US long-range ATACMS missiles, US media report
Art12 hours ago
Eight living rooms enhanced by decorative and striking art pieces
News12 hours ago
Defence minister emphasizes criminal investigation after week of diplomatic fallout from India accusations
Business14 hours ago
Canadian Ford autoworkers ratify Unifor deal with 54% approval