Connect with us

Business

Boxing Day was once what Black Friday is now – CBC.ca

Published

 on


For some Canadians, Boxing Day is the time to go shopping and take advantage of post-Christmas discounts from retailers. 

As reported in November, it has more recently been pushed aside by Black Friday, a day of deals that is the traditional start of shopping season for Americans. It spread to Canada around 2005, according to reports in the CBC archives.

Back in 1984, though, the day to look for deep discounts was Dec. 26. And stores in some Canadian provinces risked a penalty by opening on the statutory holiday.

“In provinces like Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Ontario, Boxing Day sales are against the law,” said Knowlton Nash, host of CBC’s The National, that day in 1984.

Not much of a deterrent

In Montreal and in Edmonton, shoppers were out in force on Boxing Day. (The National/CBC Archives)

The potential rewards for retailers on Boxing Day were just too great to keep them from obeying the law.

“What this store is doing is illegal,” said reporter Vicki Russell, as the camera captured images of a long queue of people outside a leather-goods store on Toronto’s Yonge Street. “And under Ontario law, it could be fined up to $10,000.”

Manager Al Vancardo was unfazed by the threat.

“We feel if people want to come down, they can come down,” he said. “We don’t care about the laws.”

The store was among “a few dozen” that defied the law, allowing customers in to try, and with any luck, buy their stock of men’s leather jackets at up to 70 per cent off.

Too much business to be timid

Bay Bloor Radio, a stereo store, was open on Boxing Day for the first time in 39 years of business.

“I believe that my staff was being discriminated against,” said owner Sol Mandlsohn, whose store was buzzing with audiophiles. 

He had remained closed on Boxing Day the year before and paid the price by being closed when others were open. 

By opening, he told the Toronto Star, he was hoping to “test the law and see if it is valid.” 

“I think it’s all right. He should be open,” said shopper Ennio Sartori. “I have to work tomorrow so I can’t make it here. Today I took advantage and I came over.”

Was the law ‘useless’?

Russell reported that police had said they would investigate any store that was open on Boxing Day. They had done the same for Boxing Day 1983 and issued warnings, but laid no charges.

According to the Toronto Star, the prohibition against Boxing Day shopping had come into force in 1975. But the day after this report aired, it reported that Ontario’s solicitor general was considering a repeal.

“You never like to see a law so violated that the law is useless,” said George Taylor.  

The following year, the Toronto Star reported that 154 stores had been charged with Boxing Day violations.

But according to TVO, it wasn’t until 1996 that the province amended the Retail Business Holidays Act to drop Boxing Day.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

These COVID-19 symptoms are more concerning for kids than the sniffles: B.C. doctor – CTV News Vancouver

Published

 on


VANCOUVER —
When it comes to COVID-19 symptoms, there are some that parents of young kids should be more wary of, a B.C. doctor says.

Dr. Rhonda Low, a physician based in Vancouver, says sneezing and sore throats don’t necessarily mean parents need to sound the alarm or keep their kids at home. This comes more than a week after health officials suddenly changed screening requirements for students heading to class. 

“Talk about making parents nuts because kids have runny noses and sore throats all year, as soon as school starts,” she said about the old requirements on CTV Morning Live Tuesday.

Low says according to current data, kids under the age of 10 aren’t likely to have COVID-19 if they just have a runny nose. 

“The chance of them having COVID is only about seven per cent,” she said. “If a child has a sore throat, the chance of them having COVID is only about 13 per cent.”

The new checklist for schools says kids should stay home if they have fever, chills, a cough or shortness of breath, loss of taste or smell, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting. But if they have a runny nose, a sore throat, headache, fatigue or body aches, they are no longer required to be absent. 

Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, addressed the changes last week. 

“There are so many things that cause children to have one symptom that has nothing to do with an infection,” she said. 

“It’s a balancing act to make sure children are able to attend school as much as possible and minimizing the risk that they pose.”

Some of the symptoms that are still on the screening checklist are more concerning for young kids. 

“The most important symptoms that seem to indicate that we should get your child tested for COVID are a fever and a cough,” Low said. “And those two are present in about two-thirds of cases.”

And Low says new research confirms what health experts have understood since earlier in the pandemic: kids under 10 are less likely to become infected, even with similar exposure to COVID-19 as adults. 

“But the role of kids transmitting to others and adults is still not really clear,” Low said.  

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Three Shoppers Drug Mart workers test positive for virus in Belleville stores – Belleville Intelligencer

Published

 on


Medical officer of health Dr. Piotr Oglaza stands outside Hastings Prince Edward Public Health.
FILE


Luke Hendry / Luke Hendry

Three employees at a trio of Shoppers Drug Mart store locations in Belleville “have tested positive on a presumptive test for COVID-19”and are in isolation away from work, said parent firm Loblaw Companies Limited.

Word of the three cases follows public notification by Hastings-Prince Edward Public Health of two positive cases of COVID-19, one recorded Tuesday and another reported Thursday in the region.

The transmission origin of Tuesday’s case is listed as pending while Thursday’s case was attributed to close-contact transmission.

Loblaw Companies said on its website that given “the important role we play in our communities, we are prepared for all possible situations, including a positive test for COVID-19 in our stores.”

All public safety measures are taken by Shoppers Drug Mart to clean and sanitize stores following a positive test of an employee, the firm said.

“In these cases, we work closely with public health and follow their guidance to ensure proper notification of close contacts and required cleaning and sanitization in our stores.”

The company said for “transparency, we regularly update the sections … with all positive COVID-19 cases in our stores by province in the last 15 days. For privacy, we will not release any personal information about our colleagues and employees.”

One infected employee working at Shoppers’ 150 Sidney Street location worked their last day Sept. 23, said the company, while another infected employee at Shoppers’ 405 Dundas Street location worked their last day Sept. 20, the company confirmed.

The employee at Quinte Mall’s Shoppers Drug Mart location at the Quinte Mall’s 390 North Front Street location worked their last day at the store Sept. 22, said the firm.

Quinte Mall property management did not return a phone call by The Intelligencer placed Monday for comment on any possible actions, if any, were needed to protect mall visitors.

Dr. Piotr Oglaza, medical officer of health for Hastings-Prince Edward Public Health, declined comment Monday on the Shoppers’ employee testing positive on a presumptive test at Quinte Mall and whether there was a safety concern for a privately-owned mall that sees high footfall daily on its premises.

Oglaza told The Intelligencer in an interview the health unit is bound by provincial health privacy provisions not to release information that could lead to the identification of an individual.

However, speaking in general terms, Oglaza said identifying an individual case and issuing a public COVID-19 advisory can be warranted if the health unit deems a public health safety risk to the public when proper contract tracing cannot locate all people who have been exposed to an infected person.

In the case of a COVID-19 outbreak earlier this year at a Kingston beauty services salon, for example, health unit officials there made the name of the spa public to trace all customers who may have visited the spa in order to conduct further contact tracing to find, isolate and stem any further spread of the virus.

Oglaza said contact tracing in all 54 local cases so far listed by HPE Public Health up until Tuesday’s latest additional case confirmation has been successful to the point that there has been no need to make any public appeals in the health unit’s catchment area.

Contact tracing is key to countering more anticipated cases in a second wave, Oglaza said, because health officials can rapidly identify, trace and isolate new infections to avoid community spread throughout Hastings and Prince Edward catchment area.

“There is a role, time and place for public announcements. That’s when we are unable to trace contact if the nature of the setting is challenging, impossible, and if there is a risk if we don’t get to the public,” Oglaza said.

“In cases of COVID-19, our work is really focusing on as quickly as possible connecting with the person who has been confirmed and getting from them a detailed history of who they’ve been in contact with over a certain amount of time we deemed they were infectious and then getting that list of individuals and connecting with them directly.”

“In that situation, once these contacts are basically identified,” Oglaza said, “connected with all the measures that are in place, there really is no need for anything more for the public to know other than there is a case and it’s being handled by us because any more information provided by a case could potentially lead to identify who that individual is and we’re not a position to do that.”

“This is personal health information,” Oglaza said.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Disney to lay off 28000 at its parks in California, Florida – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News

Published

 on


Mike Schneider, The Associated Press


Published Tuesday, September 29, 2020 5:06PM EDT


Last Updated Tuesday, September 29, 2020 8:39PM EDT

ORLANDO, Fla. – Squeezed by limits on attendance at its theme parks and other restrictions due to the pandemic, The Walt Disney Co. said Tuesday it planned to lay off 28,000 workers in its parks division in California and Florida.

Two-thirds of the planned layoffs involve part-time workers but they ranged from salaried employees to hourly workers, Disney officials said.

Disney’s parks closed last spring as the pandemic started spreading in the U.S. The Florida parks reopened this summer, but the California parks have yet to reopen as the company awaits guidance from the state of California.

In a letter to employees, Josh D’Amaro, chairman of Disney Parks, Experience and Product, said California’s “unwillingness to lift restrictions that would allow Disneyland to reopen” exacerbated the situation for the company.

D’Amaro said his management team had worked hard to try to avoid layoffs. They had cut expenses, suspended projects and modified operations but it wasn’t enough given limits on the number of people allowed into the park because of social distancing restrictions and other pandemic-related measures, he said.

“As heartbreaking as it is to take this action, this is the only feasible option we have in light of the prolonged impact of COVID-19 on our business, including limited capacity due to physical distancing requirements and the continued uncertainty regarding the duration of the pandemic,” he said.

California’s health secretary on Tuesday said the state was close to working out a way to have the theme parks reopen in a responsible way.

“We know that a number of Californians are eager and wondering when that is coming, and we’re working with those industries to put out something that’s thoughtful, allows us to maintain the rest of our framework in a strong way, and really following those principles of slow and stringent to ensure those large activities are done responsibly,” said Dr. Mark Ghaly, secretary of California Health and Human Services.

Disney officials said the company would provide severance packages for the employees, where appropriate, and also offer other services to help workers with job placement.

Officials with the union that represents the actors who play Disney characters at the theme parks said they were having conversations with Disney officials about how they would be impacted, according to Actors’ Equity Association.

Officials with the Service Trades Council Union, which represents 43,000 workers at Disney World in Florida, said they were having similar conversations.

“We were disappointed to learn that the Covid-19 crisis has led Disney to make the decision to layoff Cast Members,” the coalition of six unions said in a statement.

About 950 workers from Unite Here Local 11 in California will be laid off starting Nov. 1, union leaders said.

Disney officials didn’t offer a breakdown of the layoffs between the Florida and California operations. Walt Disney World in Florida has around 77,000 employees, while the Disneyland Resort in California has more than 30,000 workers.

With its parks closed due to the pandemic in April, Disney furloughed up to 43,000 workers while still paying for their health insurance at its Florida resort. It brought many of them back after it reopened in July. Furloughed workers in California also received health benefits.

In a statement, U.S. Rep. Val Demings, a Democrat from Orlando, said the layoffs showed the need for more coronavirus-related relief from Congress.

“These layoffs show yet again how desperately that assistance is needed by American households and businesses,” Demings said.

Associated Press writers Adam Beam in Sacramento, California, and Amy Taxin in Orange County, California, contributed to this report.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending