Three provinces recorded new increases in their totals Friday afternoon: British Columbia reported 77 new cases, while Alberta confirmed 49 more.
Shortly after those two press conferences, Ontario — which had already reported 50 new cases — announced another 10.
That brings the national total to 1,044.
British Columbia, Ontario and Alberta also have the highest provincial totals of COVID-19 cases in the country. B.C. has 348 cases as of Friday, while Ontario has 311 and Alberta has 195. Quebec follows with 139.
All 10 provinces have now confirmed at least one case of coronavirus. None of the three territories have reported any cases as of Friday.
Twelve Canadians repatriated from abroad have also tested positive for COVID-19, contributing to the national total.
There are also 41 presumptive cases across various provinces that have yet to be confirmed, but are expected to push the national total even further.
Saskatchewan currently has 18 cases awaiting confirmation, while Nova Scotia has 10 presumptive cases and Manitoba has eight. New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador have reported four and two presumptive cases, respectively.
Only 18 other countries have surpassed 1,000 cases, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. Canada’s new total puts the country past Portugal and Malaysia, which have reported 1,020 and 1,030 cases, respectively.
The rest of those 18 countries are all located in Europe, with the exception of China, Iran, the United States and South Korea.
Canada ‘very concerned’ with OPEC’s decisions amid coronavirus outbreak: Trudeau – Global News
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Canada is “very concerned” with the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries’ (OPEC) decisions amid the novel coronavirus outbreak, but that the government remains focused on helping Canadians struggling as a result of the dramatic drop in oil prices.
Trudeau made the remarks during a press conference from Rideau Cottage on Saturday, saying OPEC’s decisions are “putting at risk the livelihoods of people around the world, particularly Canadians who work in the oil and gas sector.”
The price of oil sank nearly 20 per cent in early March after Russia refused to roll back production in response to falling demand and OPEC member Saudi Arabia signalled it will ramp up its own output.
Saudi Arabia‘s state-run oil giant Saudi Aramco said it would increase its crude oil production to 12.3 million barrels a day in April, a record amount.
While low oil prices can translate into cheaper gasoline, they wreak havoc on energy companies and countries that count on petroleum revenue.
Trudeau said the government remains focused on helping Canadians who are “hardest hit” economically by COVID-19.
“The measures we’ve put in place will support Canadians right across the country, including in our oil and gas sector,” he said. “But we also know it’s a sector that has been particularly hard-hit and we will look for further help to be able to support people as they get through.”
Coronavirus outbreak: Trudeau announces new measures on domestic flights and intercity passenger trains
The price of Western Canadian Select for crude fell below $5 USD a barrel on Friday, as demand during the COVID-19 outbreak continued to drop.
Western Canadian Select prices averaged $27.28 USD a barrel in February, almost 40 per cent lower than the average in February 2019.
“I fear if the Saudis and Russians continue this foolishness in the midst of a crash in demand you will see these kinds of catastrophically low prices for some time and ultimately producers will have nowhere to ship it to in the short term,” Kenney told reporters on Friday.
Coronavirus outbreak: Kenney calls for coordinated tariffs with U.S. in response to ‘predatory dumping’ of Saudi oil
Kenney said Canada should consider coordinating with the U.S. to end what he called “predatory dumping” by Saudi Arabia.
“Some measures would include, potentially, tariffs on foreign oil imports or certainly a potential investigation into dumping activity by OPEC into the North American market,” Kenney said.
Kenney said 13 U.S. Senators have written to U.S. President Donald Trump calling for such an investigation to be launched.
But, when asked by reporters if Canada would consider taking a more aggressive approach in dealing with Saudi Arabia, Trudeau said he thinks Canada should focus on “getting through COVID-19 as best we possibly can.”
“I think there will be a lot of reflections on how various countries behaved in this particular moment. Our focus right now is on making sure we can support our citizens and stabilize the global economy the best way we can, which we are doing in our membership in the G7, in the G20, in various international fora and approaches that we have,” he said. “While at the same time focusing on making sure we’re supporting Canadians and keeping them safe.”
When asked when people in the hard-hit energy sector will know what kind of aid to expect, Trudeau said the government is continuing to work with provinces and industry members to “get this right.”
“People in industries and places right across the country are going to be able to pick themselves up and get back to work and have our economy continue to work strongly like it was before,” Trudeau said.
“It’s going to take a lot of effort in the meantime, and it’s going to take us doing different things and trying different things, but we are going to keep working until we may manage to help everyone,” he continued.
–With files from The Canadian Press
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
China donates thousands of medical masks, personal protective equipment to Canada – CTV News
China has donated thousands of medical supplies to Canada to aid in the fight against the COVID-19, according to the Chinese Embassy in Ottawa.
In a tweet published on Saturday morning, the embassy said it had sent 30,000 medical masks, 10,000 sets of protective clothing, 10,000 goggles and 50,000 pairs of gloves to Canada on Friday.
The embassy also said that shipment would be followed by another one containing the much sought-after N95 masks.
“We are together!” the Chinese Embassy wrote.
On Saturday afternoon, Foreign Affairs Minister François-Philippe Champagne thanked China for the donation.
“In the face of a global pandemic, supporting each other is not only the right thing to do, it’s the smart thing to do,” he said in a tweet.
Health-care systems around the world have reported shortages of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for their frontline workers.
In Canada, some hospitals have appealed to other industries, such as educational institutions and dental clinics, to donate equipment, while others have begun rationing the number of masks each staff member can use per shift.
Because China is the largest supplier of PPE in the world, the global supply took a big hit when the country had to shut down its factories earlier this year when the outbreak began.
In February, Canada sent 16 tonnes of medical equipment to China to help the country, which was then the epicentre of the outbreak, respond to the emergency.
Since then, the Canadian government has faced criticism for sending those supplies that are now needed at home.
On Thursday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau defended his government’s decision by explaining that it was part of Canada’s response to the global crisis. He also said Canadian businesses have retooled production to manufacture equipment for the health-care system.
“I can assure everyone that the federal stockpiles have been sufficient to meet the needs of the provinces until this point,” Trudeau said.
The prime minister also said Canada would receive “millions more items” that are needed for the health emergency.
Canada isn’t the only recipient of Chinese medical supplies, either.
In the past week, China has donated PPE to various nations grappling with the pandemic, including, most recently, Pakistan.
On Saturday, the Pakistani Foreign Ministry said China had sent a plane loaded with medical personnel and aid to help the South Asian country respond to the outbreak there. The shipment included ventilators, masks, and other medical equipment.
Canadians with COVID-19 symptoms to be denied boarding on domestic flights, trains: PM – CTV News
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says that as of noon Monday, boarding of domestic flights and trains will be denied to people showing any symptoms related to COVID-19.
He said all Canadians are being asked to remain home as much as possible in an effort to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus, but in particular those with symptoms of COVID-19 should not go out. Those symptoms include fever and cough.
“We are giving further tools to airlines and rail companies to ensure that anyone exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms does not travel,” he said. He said it will be up to the companies to ensure the new rules are followed.
Trudeau also addressed the situation of the 248 Canadians stranded on a cruise ship off the coast of Panama, where some passengers have tested positive for COVID-19 and four others have died.
The federal government is working with the Panamanian government and Holland America, which operates the Zaandam, in an effort to get the Canadians home.
He said the efforts are part of the “herculean task” Global Affairs Canada is undertaking to repatriate stranded Canadians around the world.
Two passengers on board the MS Zaandam have tested positive for the disease while 53 passengers and 85 crew have flu-like symptoms, Holland America said in a statement.
There are 1,243 passengers and 586 crew on board, the company said in a statement. The Zaandam is anchored off the coast of Panama and plans are underway to move healthy people to its sister ship nearby, Holland America said.
“We continue to engage with the Panamanian government, and are working with Holland America on their plans to get passengers home,” said Global Affairs Canada spokeswoman Angela Savard.
Michael Kasprow is terrified for his 81-year-old mother, Julie, who is currently contained to her room with her friend on the Zaandam. She is healthy, he said, and had her vital signs checked yesterday.
“My mom’s demeanour certainly changed in the past 24 hours from, ‘This will be OK,’ to hearing news that people on board had passed away,” Kasprow said.
“My mom is my superhero and is incredibly circumspect when it comes to things like that, but it’s really stressful and scary to her, and this definitely rocked her a bit.”
The crew is preparing to move his mother to the sister ship, the Rotterdam, he said.
“From what I understand, they are going to move healthy and asymptomatic passengers over to the Rotterdam to find some place to dock,” Kasprow said.
All ports along its route are closed, Holland America said.
“While the onward plan for both ships is still being finalized, we continue to work with the Panamanian authorities on approval to transit the Panama Canal for sailing to Fort Lauderdale, Florida,” the company said.
Kasprow, from Toronto, said he is dealing with a mixture of emotions with the uncertainty about his mother, who lives in Thornhill, Ont.
“I just want her home in her stupid chair for 14 days so we have everybody in the same area and I can talk to her from the end of the driveway,” he said.
Meanwhile, Canada’s deputy chief public health officer has delivered a sobering assessment of the country’s struggle with the COVID-19 pandemic.
Dr. Howard Njoo said the fight is far from over, that it could include a second wave, and that we are certainly in it “for the long haul.”
“It’s definitely months. Many months,” Njoo estimated Friday as the number of COVID-19 cases in Canada surged to 4,757, including 55 deaths.
Quebec’s COVID-19 caseload has soared to more than 2,000 — more than double Ontario’s 993 cases.
Members of the Canadian Armed Forces have been told by chief of the defence staff Gen. Jonathan Vance to stay healthy and be ready to respond immediately to the escalating crisis.
One possible glimmer of hope did emerge from B.C. Friday, where data indicates the province’s COVID experience will likely resemble South Korea’s rather than brutally hit Italy. B.C.’s health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, said she thinks the social distancing strategy is working and she urged residents to keep at it.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published on March 28, 2020.
Canada ‘very concerned’ with OPEC’s decisions amid coronavirus outbreak: Trudeau – Global News
Second Avalanche player tests positive for COVID-19 – Sportsnet.ca
Nikkei, WSJ split on their Apple horror narratives – AppleInsider
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Popular Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours after man collapses outside restaurant – Vancouver Is Awesome
Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver reports January housing sales up 42.4 percent
- Sports17 hours ago
TSN 1200 colour analyst Gord Wilson confirms COVID-19 diagnosis – Ottawa Sun
- Tech21 hours ago
iPhone 12 production is not getting delayed, insider claims – GSMArena.com news – GSMArena.com
- Science22 hours ago
Uranus Ejected a Giant Plasma Bubble During Voyager 2’s Visit – The New York Times
- Science15 hours ago
Uranus has started leaking gas, NASA scientists confirm – Happy Mag
- News13 hours ago
Ontario woman petitioning feds to help relatives stuck in India amid COVID-19 lockdown – CTV News
- Health10 hours ago
What you need to know about COVID-19 in Ottawa on Saturday, March 28 – CBC.ca
- Health18 hours ago
How flaws in the way Ontario’s nursing homes are run put residents and staff at risk from COVID-19 – Toronto Star
- Health21 hours ago
135 new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Ontario, for a total of 993 – Sudbury.com