The Windsor Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) reported 557 cases of COVID-19 and no new deaths in the region Sunday.
A total of 5,591 individuals have been tested for the virus in the region so far and 961 of those tests are still pending.
The WECHU says it is continuing to monitor outbreaks at five long-term care and retirement homes.
Those include: Amica, Sun Parlour, Lifetimes on Riverside, Heron Terrace and Country Village Homes.
Outbreaks at Franklin Gardens and Extendicare Southwood Lakes are considered resolved.
Earlier this week Dr. Wajid Ahmed, the region’s medical officer of health, said that while some data around COVID-19 has looked promising, precautions such as self-isolation and physical distancing should continue to be taken.
Walpole Island First Nation reports first cases
The Walpole Island First Nation has reported its first cases of COVID-19 in a media release from Chief Dan Miskokomon.
The release said that the first case was reported to officials yesterday evening, followed by another notification a short time later from another community member who had also tested positive.
“Walpole Island Health Centre staff followed up with the individuals after they were notified and can confirm that they are doing well and have been provided with education on how to properly self-isolate,” the release said.
Health staff has also provided the individuals and their families with protective equipment and continue to monitor them.
“Our hearts and thoughts are with our community members and their families at this time,” the release said.
The release also reminded members there is a higher instance of underlying health conditions in the community, so people should be extra careful to ensure they are protecting loved ones.
“Because of this testing has been prioritized for our community and other First Nation communities,” the release said.
The WECHU took the opportunity Sunday to highlight the provincial government’s decision yesterday to declare community gardens essential.
“Food security must stay at the forefront of our decisions and actions,” said Ahmed.
“As the weather begins to turn, our gardens offer and opportunity to engage with the outdoors, learn and be physically active.”
The health unit also released a document providing guidelines and best practices for gardeners who may be planning to take advantage of the relaxing of the rules.
It highlighted ways in which people access their garden spaces and tools, how to regularly clean and sanitize the space and the tools and how to physically distance if accessing a garden.
Return of transit in discussion
Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens said Friday that the city is exploring the ways it will bring public transit back online. The WECHU also released recommendations for a safe transit system Friday.
“Maintaining a safe transit system is a priority at all times,” a memo released by the health unit read.
“As we continue to learn from the COVID-19 pandemic it is important to ensure all measures are in place to protect our transit employees and the public who rely on public transit.”
Busses were pulled off the road by the City of Windsor on March 29, but that order is set to expire at the end of April.
Dilkens said bringing transit back should be done in tandem with businesses coming back online.
“I can tell you that we’re looking to have meetings with ATU, the local transit union, working through the various issues certainly with Dr. Ahmed, making sure the proper protocols are in place,” Dilkens said.
COVID-19 in Sarnia-Lambton
There are 167 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Sarnia-Lambton Sunday. Health officials say 14 people have died from the virus so far. Four more people were reported as recovered from the virus, bringing that total to 77.
Bluewater Health said Tuesday that 14 staff members at its facility have tested positive for COVID-19. Four of them contracted the virus at work, while 10 reportedly contracted it in the community.
Two long-term care facilities in the community are considered to be in outbreak situations: Landmark Village retirement home has 34 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and Vision Nursing Home has two cases detected among staff.
A previous outbreak at Meadowview Villa long-term care home, which had one staff member who tested positive, is now considered resolved.
COVID-19 in Chatham-Kent
Of the 42 cases of COVID-19 in Chatham-Kent, 18 remain active. There has been one death in the community.
A total of 1,529 people have been tested so far. The results of 361 of those tests are still pending.
City asking people to wear masks on buses, but not mandatory – GuelphToday
As the city prepares to allow more riders on Guelph Transit buses, it is asking riders to wear a non-medical mask or face covering.
They are not mandatory.
Free 30-minute Guelph Transit service will continue for the rest of June but the city says thta with more businesses reopening and more people heading back to work, Guelph Transit is preparing to resume fare collection and regular schedules later in the summer.
In a news release Friday morning, the city said the request is based advice from Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health.
“According to health officials, wearing a homemade face covering/non-medical mask is not a substitute for physical distancing and hand washing. Wearing a mask has not been proven to protect the person wearing it, but it can help protect others around you,” the release said.
“As the buses get busy again, physical distancing may not always be possible. We’re asking riders to wear a non-medical mask or face covering to help prevent the spread of COVID-19,” says Robin Gerus, general manager of Guelph Transit.
Guelph Transit is encouraging face coverings, not requiring them.
“It’s becoming more common to wear a mask on public transit in other cities, but it’s new for Guelph. Some riders may not be aware of or understand the latest guidelines from health officials. Some may not have resources to purchase or make a mask, or they may have a medical reason for not wearing one,” added Gerus. Everyone is welcome to use Guelph Transit, and we’re asking people to protect and respect each other as ridership increases.”
Since March, Guelph Transit made the following adjustments to slow the spread of COVID-19:
- free 30-minute service allows passengers to avoid using the farebox and board from the rear door
- plastic barrier between the driver and passengers
- hand sanitizing stations and cleaning supplies for drivers
- no more than 10 people per bus
- blocked several seats to encourage physical distancing between passengers
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the City and Guelph Transit encourage riders to continue following the latest advice from Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health:
- wash your hands regularly or use hand sanitizer
- stay at least two metres away from people you don’t live with
- when you can’t maintain physical distancing, wear a non-medical mask or face covering
WHO resumes hydroxychloroquine trial on Covid-19 patients – ITIJ
On May 25, WHO suspended the trial of the drug, which is usually used to treat malaria patients, after a study published in medical journal The Lancet found that Covid-19 hospitalised patients treated with hydroxychloroquine had a higher risk of death, as well as an increased frequency of irregular heartbeats, than those who weren’t treated with it.
However, WHO officials have since asserted that there is no evidence that the drug reduces the mortality in these patients, and the study has since been retracted over data concerns.
“The executive group received this recommendation and endorsed the continuation of all arms of solidarity trial including hydroxychloroquine,” said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus during a press conference 3 June, adding that WHO planned to continue to monitor the safety of the therapeutics being tested in trials involving over 3,500 patients spanning over 35 countries.
“WHO is committed to accelerating the development of effective therapeutics, vaccines and diagnostics as part of our commitment to serving the world with science, solutions and solidarity,” Ghebreyesus said.
'Truly sorry': Scientists pull panned Lancet study of Trump-touted drug – National Post
NEW YORK/LONDON — An influential study that found hydroxychloroquine increased the risk of death in COVID-19 patients has been withdrawn a week after it led to major trials being halted, adding to confusion about a malaria drug championed by U.S. President Donald Trump.
The Lancet medical journal pulled the study after three of its authors retracted it, citing concerns about the quality and veracity of data in it. The World Health Organization (WHO) will resume its hydroxychloroquine trials after pausing them in the wake of the study. Dozens of other trials have resumed or are in process.
The three authors said Surgisphere, the company that provided the data, would not transfer the dataset for an independent review and they “can no longer vouch for the veracity of the primary data sources.”
The fourth author of the study, Dr. Sapan Desai, chief executive of Surgisphere, declined to comment on the retraction.
The Lancet said it “takes issues of scientific integrity extremely seriously” adding: “There are many outstanding questions about Surgisphere and the data that were allegedly included in this study.”
Another study in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) that used Surgisphere data and shared the same lead author, Harvard Medical School Professor Mandeep Mehra, was retracted for the same reason.
The Lancet said reviews of Surgisphere’s research collaborations were urgently needed.
The race to understand and treat the new coronavirus causing the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the pace of research and peer-reviewed scientific journals are go-to sources of information for doctors, policymakers and lay people alike.
Chris Chambers, a professor of psychology and an expert at the UK Center for Open Science, said The Lancet and the NEJM – which he described as “ostensibly two of the world’s most prestigious medical journals” – should investigate how the studies got through peer review and editorial checks.
“The failure to resolve such basic concerns about the data” raises “serious questions about the standard of editing” and about the process of peer review, he said.
The Lancet did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment. The NEJM could not immediately be reached for comment.
The observational study published in The Lancet on May 22 said it looked at 96,000 hospitalized COVID-19 patients, some treated with the decades-old malaria drug. It claimed that those treated with hydroxychloroquine or the related chloroquine had higher risk of death and heart rhythm problems than patients who were not given the medicines.
“I did not do enough to ensure that the data source was appropriate for this use,” the study’s lead author, Professor Mehra, said in a statement. “For that, and for all the disruptions – both directly and indirectly – I am truly sorry.”
Many scientists voiced concern about the study, which had already been corrected last week because some location data was wrong. Nearly 150 doctors signed an open letter to The Lancet calling the article’s conclusions into question and asking to make public the peer review comments that preceded publication.
Stephen Evans, a professor of pharmacoepidemiology at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine said the retraction decision was “correct” but still left unanswered the question about whether hydroxychloroquine is effective in COVID-19.
“It remains the case that the results from randomized trials are necessary to draw reliable conclusions,” he said. (Reporting by Michael Erman, Peter Henderson, Kate Kelland and Josephine Mason Editing by Leslie Adler, Tom Brown, Giles Elgood and Carmel Crimmins)
MLBPA rejects league’s demand for additional salary concessions – Sportsnet.ca
Apple parts supplier Broadcom says 2020 iPhone launch will be delayed – MobileSyrup
In Space No One Can Hear You Campaign: Trump Team Pulls Ad – NDTV
- Sports17 hours ago
NBA Board of Governors approves competitive format to restart 2019-20 season with 22 teams returning to play – NBA CA
- Tech19 hours ago
Rumor: Alleged 2021 5.5-inch iPhone prototype shows notchless screen and USB-C port – 9to5Mac
- Science23 hours ago
The Strawberry Moon Eclipse May Be Visible Over Metro Vancouver This Week – 604 Now
- News9 hours ago
Canadians living in China watch developments in Meng case closely – CTV News
- Science5 hours ago
Full 'Strawberry' Moon coincides with a penumbral lunar eclipse tonight – Daily Mail
- Economy9 hours ago
BoC eyeing supply, consumer demand for July economic outlook, deputy says – BNNBloomberg.ca
- News24 hours ago
Ontario, Quebec account for more than 90% of national COVID-19 cases: federal data – CBC.ca
- Sports22 hours ago
Hockey Canada statement on Return to Hockey in Canada – Hockey Canada