Connect with us

Health

CBC Windsor August 30 COVID-19 update: 24 new cases, possible exposure at Devonshire Mall – CBC.ca

Published

on


The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) is warning the public an employee at the Spirit Halloween store in Devonshire Mall has tested positive for COVID-19. 

The employee was at work as recently as Aug. 25.

The public health unit said all the proper precautions were taken by the store, and the employee had been wearing a face covering.

“While the risk of exposure is low, the WECHU is notifying the public because there is a potential risk of COVID-19 exposure to the customers who visited this store on the specified date,” a release from the health unit read.

An employee at the Spirit Halloween store in Devonshire mall who worked on Aug. 25 tested positive for COVID-19. (Mike Evans/CBC)

The public health unit recommends any customers that visited the store on Aug. 25 complete an online self-assessment and monitor for symptoms for 14 days.

This is the second such warning in a matter of days. 

On Friday the unit issued another exposure warning, after two people tested positive after attending two restaurants in Kingsville and a vineyard in Harrow. 

The health unit said that on Aug. 21 two symptomatic people were at Wineology on 19 Main St. E. and El Diablo on 16 Main St. W. in Kingsville and Muscedere Vineyards on County Rd. 18. 

The health unit said it would be refining its process after businesses expressed concerns about how they were notified.

Weekend numbers

The health unit also said 24 new positive cases of COVID-19 were detected in Windsor-Essex County for Saturday and Sunday, bringing the total number of cases to 2,517. 

Eighteen of those cases are due to close contact with a confirmed case, one case is a resident of a retirement home and several cases remain under investigation, according to information provided by the public health unit. 

New Beginnings in Leamington remains the only seniors’ facility in outbreak.

There are currently two workplace outbreaks being reported — one is in the agricultural sector in Leamington and the other is within the manufacturing sector in Windsor. 

Five people are currently hospitalized because of the virus, 71 are in self-isolation and 2,366 cases have been resolved.

In all, 72 people have died because of COVID-19 in Windsor-Essex County.

3rd assessment centre to open

Starting Thursday, Windsor Regional Hospital plans to use the Sportsplex for COVID-19 testing, in advance of the Labour Day weekend. It will be open Thursday, Sept. 3 and Friday, Sept. 4 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

As of Tuesday, Sept. 8, the Sportsplex assessment centre will be open the same hours as the Ouellette Campus location: from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays and from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and statutory holidays.

COVID-19 in Sarnia-Lambton, Chatham-Kent

Lambton Public Health did not report any new cases of COVID-19 over the weekend. There have been a total of 338 cases overall in the region.

There have been 311 resolved cases of the virus and 25 people have died.

Chatham-Kent Public Health has not reported any new cases of the virus since Thursday. There have been a total of 362 positive cases in that public health unit.

Right now, there are seven active cases of COVID-19 in Chatham-Kent, 353 people have recovered and two people have died from the virus.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Toronto Public Health orders 3 King Street West businesses to close to slow COVID-19 spread – CBC.ca

Published

on


Toronto Public Health has ordered three establishments on King Street West to close to protect the public from COVID-19.

In a news release on Saturday, the public health unit said the establishments are:

  • MARBL, 455 King St. W.
  • King Taps, 100 King St. W.
  • Casa Mezcal, 291 King St. W.

Dr. Eileen de Villa, the city’s medical officer of health, issued the orders to the three businesses on Friday night under Section 22 of the Health Protection and Promotion Act.

Toronto Public Health (TPH) said a fourth establishment will also be forced to close once it is served with the order. It was not named in the release.

“These closure orders were undertaken based on Toronto Public Health investigations, including contact tracing data, which has shown that each establishment has not taken the necessary steps to sufficiently protect both the public and employees from the spread of COVID-19,” the news release said.

The public health unit said it found that many people were connected to more than one of the three businesses. In some cases, people infected with COVID-19 worked at more than one of the locations.

One business in particular served food buffet style, which is prohibited under provincial regulations to slow the spread of COVID-19. Another business has been uncooperative with investigations and impeded the investigation.

“Staff have also been found to be working while ill or pressured to work while ill,” the news release said.

Toronto Mayor John Tory said in the release that enforcement officials identified the specific businesses and the city is taking action to slow the virus in the city.

“I hope this enforcement will ensure we are protecting employees and customers. Thankfully the vast majority of residents and businesses in our city are doing the right thing and following public health advice. We need that cooperation to continue so we can defeat this virus,” Tory said.

Coun. Joe Cressy, who represents Ward 10 Spadina-Fort York and is chair of the Toronto Board of Health, said the city is trying to prevent new cases and enforcement is needed now.

“New data shows that unsafe social activity at a select number of bars and nightclubs is contributing to the rise in COVID-19 cases in our city. That’s why our Medical Officer of Health is taking swift action to shut down four high-risk establishments until further notice,” Cressy said.

“Right now, we need to stop the spread of COVID and keep people safe, while also making it possible for kids to go to school, people to go to work and public services to operate safely.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus in private school prompts class cancellations in Montreal – CTV News Montreal

Published

on


MONTREAL —
An elite Montreal private school is among those in Qubec forced to cancel classes after a COVID-19 outbreak.

Lower Canada College (LCC) in Montreal’s Notre-Dame-de-Grace (NDG) borough confirmed that six high school students and two staff members tested positive for COVID-19.

“Upon receiving the notifications, and in an effort to limit further transmission, the school acted immediately, in collaboration with public health and according to protocols,” the school said in a statement Friday night. “This has included asking ALL students in the affected cohorts to stay home and be tested for the virus. Teachers who were at moderate risk, as defined by public health, were also asked to be tested and quarantined as directed by La Direction regionale du sante publique de Montreal.”

According to Quebec’s list, there have been 489 schools with at least one confirmed COVID-19 case since the school year started, and there are 722 active cases.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus: STARS adjusts but course stays same in Saskatchewan – Global News

Published

on


Shock Trauma Air Rescue Service (STARS) has made adjustments as it continues to fly critically ill and injured patients in Saskatchewan amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

The air ambulance service’s director of provincial operations, Cindy Seidl, says they have flown COVID-19-positive individuals.

Read more:
Saskatoon paramedics asking all patients to wear surgical masks

“I don’t have the exact number in front of me of COVID-positive patients, but we certainly have transported patients that are COVID positive,” she said.

“STARS does scene calls, which is an extension of 911, so they could be a scene call but more often with those type of patients … they’re (in) rural hospital with symptoms and they kind of deteriorate and need to be transplanted into tertiary care in either Saskatoon or Regina.”

Story continues below advertisement

Seidl, who is also a flight nurse, said the virus has changed the way STARS flight crews provide emergency medical transportation.

“One of the things that has changed for us with the pandemic is our use of PPE (personal protective equipment). So pretty much every mission requires a gown, gloves, mask and shield in order to protect ourselves and the patient,” she said.

In the event that a patient is unconscious, Seidl said the answer is always the same.

“Patients that are unconscious and we can’t actually screen them, they would screen (COVID-19) positive. So a patient that is unconscious and we can’t ask them the proper question to see if they’ve had any symptoms, we would consider them to be positive,” Seidl explained.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“So we would (then use) … personal protective equipment and then if they were on a ventilator, that’s a closed circuit. We would be fine. And if not, we would put a mask on them as well.”

Read more:
Saskatchewan police conducting coronavirus self-isolation check-ins

Seidl said STARS typically flies an average of about 850 missions annually in the province, has roughly 75 employees and staffs two helicopters 24/7 with a backup aircraft ready.

Story continues below advertisement

“STARS first launched in Saskatchewan April 30, 2012, out of our Regina base and then the Saskatoon base started up Oct. 15, 2012,” Seidl said.

“We’re so fortunate to be here and to be part of the health-care system here in Saskatchewan. So many of our residents live (rurally) and now they have access to timely critical care transport right at the scene of their accident or emergency.”

“STARS is just one link in the chain of survival but as the system and local resources become more taxed and some of these patients that we are transporting are quite critically ill, it certainly, we are able to provide support to that community, to the patients and to those families and transport them into tertiary care in a timely and safe fashion.”

Read more:
Coronavirus: Ottawa nursing student fears for vulnerable son’s health ahead of long-term care stint

Seidl added that COVID-19 has presents a financial challenge for the non-profit organization.

“Fifty per cent of our operating budget is supplied by the provincial government and we’re very grateful for that. And the other 50 per cent we need to do through fundraising activities,” she said.

“Many of these have been cancelled due to the restrictions put on by COVID. So certainly we’re looking for new and innovative ways to raise funds.

Story continues below advertisement

“We’ve got our outdoor concert coming up on Saturday, Oct. 3, at the Turvey Centre in Regina. So basically, people will come, they’ll park in their cars and they’ll watch the concerts… so that’s kind of a new and fun way event that we’ve launched here in the province.”

STARS also operates from bases in Calgary, Edmonton, Grande Prairie and Winnipeg.






2:37
Singing Moose Jaw paramedic has message on mental health


Singing Moose Jaw paramedic has message on mental health

Questions about COVID-19? Here are some things you need to know:

Symptoms can include fever, cough and difficulty breathing — very similar to a cold or flu. Some people can develop a more severe illness. People most at risk of this include older adults and people with severe chronic medical conditions like heart, lung or kidney disease. If you develop symptoms, contact public health authorities.

To prevent the virus from spreading, experts recommend frequent handwashing and coughing into your sleeve. They also recommend minimizing contact with others, staying home as much as possible and maintaining a distance of two metres from other people if you go out. In situations where you can’t keep a safe distance from others, public health officials recommend the use of a non-medical face mask or covering to prevent spreading the respiratory droplets that can carry the virus. In some provinces and municipalities across the country, masks or face coverings are now mandatory in indoor public spaces.

Story continues below advertisement

For full COVID-19 coverage from Global News, click here.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending