Connect with us

Media

Conservatives find home on social media platforms rife with misinformation. – CNN

Published

 on


Others who’ve been active on the alternative social network Parler in recent weeks include Fox News host Sean Hannity, radio personality Mark Levin, far-right activist Laura Loomer, Senator Ted Cruz and Congressman Devin Nunes. Eric Trump also has an account verified by Parler as does Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.
A substantial number of users have followed these voices onto the platform, fueled by complaints over actions major social media platforms have taken against election misinformation and false allegations of voter fraud, such as disputing claims with fact-check labels. Twitter, in particular, took aggressive action on many of President Trump’s tweets during the election. At one point, the social network applied warning labels to more than a third of Trump’s tweets after polls closed. Some of Trump’s tweets were hidden behind a warning label which users had to click through before being able to read what they said.
Amid rising turmoil in social media, alternative social network Parler is gaining with prominent political conservatives who claim their voices are being silenced by Silicon Valley giants. Amid rising turmoil in social media, alternative social network Parler is gaining with prominent political conservatives who claim their voices are being silenced by Silicon Valley giants.
Parler, founded in 2018 by John Matze and Jared Thomson, bills itself as “unbiased social media” and a place where people can “speak freely and express yourself openly without fear of being ‘deplatformed’ for your views,” according to its website and App Store description. It looks like a mashup of Twitter and Instagram, with its main feed, follower counts and ways to share posts and links.
It’s also rife with misinformation, including a stream of baseless allegations of voter fraud, such as false assertions that “millions” of votes were either lost or switched from Donald Trump to Joe Biden.
The app has seen an influx of downloads following the US election. Parler hit the number one spot overall on Apple’s US App Store among free apps for the first time on Sunday — ahead of names including TikTok and YouTube — according to Apptopia which tracks mobile apps. Since last Friday, more than 4.5 million new people signed up for accounts, according to a letter from Parler CEO Matze. CNN Business asked Parler about the recent influx of conservative voices and whether the platform uses any kind of content moderation but did not receive a response.
“A lot of people are just discovering Parler for the first time, but it’s been around for a while in terms of being an echo chamber for both right-wing news, but also for misinformation,” said Joan Donovan, an expert in online extremism and disinformation and research director of the Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy at Harvard University.
Singer Joy Villa, a vocal supporter of President Trump, told her nearly 250,000 Twitter followers to go follow her on Parler earlier this week. She said she previously had one of her YouTube videos temporarily removed, and she feels that conservatives are being “disenfranchised” on the larger social media platforms.
“There’s a lot of shadow banning, censorship and over saturated ‘fact checking’ to the detriment of being able to freely post anything, even on the President of the United States,” Villa told CNN Business in an email. “I love that Parler is transparent with who views my posts, and that they promote and actually support free speech and free thought.”
Facebook, Twitter and other social networks have stepped up efforts to crack down on misinformation, which comes amid an outcry from prominent conservatives that their voices are being disproportionately censored.
Twitter (TWTR) and Facebook (FB) declined to comment for this story.
It’s not just Parler that’s getting a boost. The app of right-wing media outlet Newsmax has climbed the app charts recently and other social apps like MeWe and video-sharing platform Rumble are also gaining steam, both of which promise not to clamp down people’s voices.
Oren Segal, vice president at the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism, warned that while Parler has become popular with conservatives, it’s also attracting extremists. He worries this could expose non-extremists to radical viewpoints.
“We have seen, time after time, that extremists always look for alternatives to migrate to if they are finding difficulties on the platforms on which they’re established,” Segal said. “If a lot of people start migrating onto a platform to hear the Laura Ingrahms and Sean Hannitys, but are getting a steady dose of Proud Boys … that may normalize the fringes in a way that normally it wouldn’t.”
(The Proud Boys are a group whose ideology has been labeled “misogynistic, Islamophobic, transphobic, and anti-immigration” by the ADL).
According to an ADL report released on Thursday, members of the Proud Boys, adherents of conspiracy theory QAnon, anti-government extremists and white supremacists all openly promote their views on Parler. “Holocaust denial, antisemitism, racism and other forms of bigotry are also easy to find,” the ADL said.
Both extremists and “mainstream conservatives” are using the app to organize and recruit for pro-Trump events, such as the “Million MAGA March” in Washington DC, according to the ADL report. Meanwhile, a virtual event on Facebook scheduled for Friday is spurring people to join alternative platforms, like Parler. The event banner reads: “LEAVE FACEBOOK. Join another social media outlet that does not Censor US! #MassExitOffFacebook November 13, 2020.” RSVPs to the event topped 78,000 people, while more than 393,000 Facebook users said they were interested.
But Parler’s staying power is an open question. Over the years, cries of censorship have prompted several alternatives to crop up, such as Gab, 4chan and 8chan. However, none have yet succeeded in creating a long-lasting and robust right-leaning platform. These smaller players lack the resources of big companies like Facebook, their infrastructure can buckle under the pressure of increased traffic and they typically don’t have all the features of other social platforms that users are accustomed to.
“When these minor apps get popular, they don’t work,” said Harvard’s Donovan. “People try to have some kind of mass exodus from some of the major platforms and they can’t because the user experience is just poor.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Private Equity Eyes German Soccer as League Mulls Media Deal – Yahoo Canada Finance

Published

 on


GlobeNewswire

Black Friday Makeup Deals (2020): Top Anastasia, Morphe, NARS, Too Faced & More Savings Published by Consumer Articles

Black Friday makeup deals for 2020, featuring the latest ABH, MAC, BH & more deals Compare the top makeup deals for Black Friday 2020, including all the top makeup brushes, lipsticks, eyeshadow palettes and more savings. Links to the best deals are listed below. Best Makeup Deals: * Save up to 83% off on makeup & kits, fragrances, and more at Walmart – find awesome deals on top brands like Revlon, Profusion, Elizabeth Arden, CHANEL, Burberry, and more   * Save up to 55% on makeup, cosmetics, and beauty accessories at Amazon – get the best prices on brands like Maybelline, Neutrogena, Covergirl, NYX Professional, and more   * Save up to 50% on top-selling makeup and beauty at Ulta.com – get the latest from top brands like ColourPop, MAC, Clinique, Benefit Cosmetics, Tarte, and more   * Save up to 30% on an extensive range of makeup from top brands like Smashbox, Tarte, and more at Dermstore.com – shop a wide range of beauty bestsellers from leading cosmetic brands  * Save up to 65% off on best-selling makeup & beauty tools at BHCosmetics.com  – deals available on makeup brushes, face makeup, eyeshadow palettes, lipsticks, and from BH Cosmetics  * Save up to 31% on Morphe makeup and cosmetics at Walmart – find the best deals on brush sets, pressed powders, palettes, eye shadows, and more   * Save up to 40% on makeup and cosmetic from Morphe at Ulta.com – get the best discounts on lip gloss, palettes, blush brushes, gel liners, eyeshadows, and more   * Shop Anastasia lipsticks and more at Walmart.com – check live prices on ABH makeup, including the Anastasia Beverly Hills Limited Edition Palette Vaults, Modern Renaissance Eyeshadows, and more   * Save up to 50% on Anastasia makeup and more at Ulta.com – including lip primers, sampler kits, mascara, blending brushes, lipsticks, highlighters, and more   * Save up to 48% off on NARS makeup at Walmart – click here for the latest prices on eyeshadows, foundations, palettes, loose powder, makeup sets, and more   * Save up to 34% on NARS makeup & cosmetics at Ulta.com – look your best with NARS eyeliners, lipsticks, loose powder, lip tints, lip pencils, and more   * Save up to 51% on Too Faced makeup & cosmetics at Walmart.com – get the best deals on Too Faced Loose Setting Powders, Fresh Glow Foundations, Better Than Sex Mascara, and more   * Save up to 50% on Too Faced mascara, foundation, and more makeup at Ulta.com – get the best prices on Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara, Born This Way Foundation, Melted Kiss Lipstick Set, and more  Interested in more deals? Click here to shop the entire range of live deals at Walmart’s Black Friday sale and click here to check out Amazon’s live Black Friday deals. Consumer Articles earns commissions from purchases made using the links provided.About Consumer Articles: Consumer Articles shares informative e-commerce news. As an Amazon Associate and affiliate Consumer Articles earns from qualifying purchases.Contact: Andy Mathews (andy@nicelynetwork.com)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Surrey councillor gets death threat through a social media message – Vancouver Sun

Published

 on


Article content continued

Hundial said the message contained “a single threat. And it was direct. It came through messenger online and had a bunch of slurs attached to it.”

One of the names he was called was “pig … you know, referencing my previous career,” he said.

“And it was basically saying, put a bullet in me. And he also made reference to the Prime Minister — Trudeau — as well.”

While the person had a profile on social media, Hundial says he doesn’t know if it’s a real one or not. It’s not someone with whom he has had previous contact.

“It’s someone that does appear in their profile to have links to some sort of organized crime — in the U.S. and there’s an anti-social degree here, anti-religion, anti-police,” he said.

The person who sent the message did not refer to the controversial decision to replace the Surrey RCMP with a municipal force, but Hundial believes the rhetoric around the issue may have led to the threat.

“I’ve been fairly outspoken my position on the police transition. And certainly, this didn’t happen when I was a police officer,” he said.

“I don’t mind engaging in political discussion and discourse. But recently in Surrey, the level of the discourse on the political side has certainly escalated with all these fake posts and memes going around. … And I put that squarely on the shoulders of the mayor and his team, which seem to be the biggest instigators of this.”

Mayor Doug McCallum had no comment on the threat to Hundial, his media representative, OIiver Lum, said Tuesday.

Hundial said the hardest part was explaining to his 12-year-old why “there’s a police car parked outside her window.”

He said he hopes the person is held accountable that a “very strong clear message is sent that people can’t be bullied.”

“We do live in a civilized society and people need to act like it. You need to tone down the rhetoric.”

kbolan@postmedia.com

Twitter.com/kbolan

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Sources close to ex-PM Abe say his camp subsidised backers' party: media – TheChronicleHerald.ca

Published

 on


By Sakura Murakami

TOKYO (Reuters) – Former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s office helped cover the costs of dinner parties held for his supporters, sources close to Abe told local media on Tuesday evening, in a possible violation of funding and election laws.

The resurfacing of the scandal, which dogged Abe in the last year of his tenure could damage his political reputation and also threatens to drag in successor Yoshihide Suga, who was Abe’s right-hand man during his 2012-2020 term.

Politicians in Japan are forbidden to provide anything to constituents that could be construed as a gift. The rule is so strict that one cabinet minister quit in 2014 after distributing paper fans during the summer.

Abe vehemently denied his office had subsidized parties during parliamentary sessions last year where he was grilled by opposition lawmakers on his office’s involvement in hosting the reception.

Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, he said he was aware of the accusations and promised that his office will “fully cooperate” with Tokyo prosecutors who are looking into the matter, but declined to comment further on the accusations.

“He can’t run or hide,” opposition Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan leader Yukio Edano said of Abe on Tuesday, adding that the revelation meant Abe had lied in parliament when he had denied his office subsidized parties.

“Prime Minister Suga was also the ringleader of the Abe administration in his position as chief cabinet secretary, and he can’t escape that responsibility,” Edano said, according to NHK.

Abe, Japan’s longest-serving prime minister, stepped down in September due to health problems, but has stayed on as a lower house lawmaker.

The opposition has demanded he address the accusations during a parliamentary hearing on Wednesday, but the ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) refused to concede to the request, saying it was “unreasonable.”

Local media, including public broadcaster NHK, said Abe’s office helped cover a shortfall of about 8 million yen ($76,540) over the last five years of his premiership to hold annual dinner parties at swanky hotels for his supporters, citing people close to the ex-PM.

Although each supporter paid about $48 for their attendance, the total cost of hosting the parties came to more than $190,000 over five years, exceeding the total amount collected from ticket sales and creating a gap covered by the ex-PM’s office, NHK said.

Tokyo prosecutors are analysing hotel documents that suggest Abe’s office partly subsidized the receptions, and conducted a voluntary questioning of Abe’s former aides, media said on Monday.

In interviews with NHK, sources close to the ex-PM said staff members working for Abe had told their former boss when asked last year by Abe whether the office had partially footed the bills for parties that the ticket sales had covered the costs when in fact, they had not.

(Reporting by Sakura Murakami; editing by Richard Pullin)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending