Connect with us

Health

New COVID-19 outbreaks declared at three Ottawa schools, one school daycare – CTV Edmonton

Published

 on


OTTAWA —
Ottawa Public Health has declared new COVID-19 outbreaks at three Ottawa schools and a daycare connected to one of the schools.

On Friday, there were six ongoing outbreaks at five schools in the capital (two unrelated outbreaks were reported at St. Mother Teresa High School) but, on Saturday, OPH reported COVID-19 outbreaks at an additional three schools.

Outbreaks were declared at Barrhaven Public School, Béatrice Desloges French Catholic high school and De La Découverte French Catholic elementary school.

Each outbreak involves students at the school. To date, no staff members have tested positive for COVID-19, according to Ottawa Public Health.

The Ottawa-Carleton District School Board (OCDSB) says there is one active case of COVID-19 at Barrhaven Public School. OPH lists two total cases among students. No classes are isolating at this time, according to the OCDSB.

The French catholic board, the Conseil des écoles catholiques du Centre-Est (CECCE), says there are four active cases of COVID-19 at De La Découverte school and one active case at Béatrice Desloges, where five other cases are considered resolved. One class at each school is in isolation, according to the CECCE.

OPH lists two total student cases at De La Découverte and one case at Béatrice Desloges on its COVID-19 dashboard.

A daycare connected to De La Découverte school is also experiencing an outbreak. Ottawa Public Health says two children at La Coccinelle – De La Découverte have tested positive for COVID-19.

There are 12 active COVID-19 outbreaks at schools and daycares in Ottawa as of Nov. 13, 2020.

Under provincial guidelines, a COVID-19 outbreak in a school is defined as two or more lab-confirmed COVID-19 cases in students and/or staff in a school with an epidemiological link, within a 14-day period, where at least one case could have reasonably acquired their infection in the school (including transportation and before or after school care).  

In childcare settings, a single confirmed, symptomatic case in a staff member, home daycare provider, or child triggers an outbreak.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 numbers in Peel Region continue downward trend – insauga.com

Published

 on


 

Peel Region is showing its fifth straight day of declining new cases of COVID-19.

According to Government of Ontario data, Peel has 373 new cases today (Dec. 1). The daily trend downward began the day after a record 572 cases was reported on November 26.

Since then, each day has seen the number of new cases at 517, 516, 503, 390 and today’s 373.

In Peel, there are currently 4,298 active cases that are being dealt with by healthcare professionals. Since the pandemic began, 374 people have died here as a result of the virus.

Meanwhile, across Ontario there are 1,707 of new cases reported today. The most are in Toronto with 727 new cases. York Region has 168 cases. Case counts for other areas are not yet available today.

In Ontario there are 645 people hospitalized because of COVID-19, 185 are in intensive care units and 112 people are being ventilated. In the past day the virus has killed seven people in Ontario.

Numbers released by Queen’s Park differ from those given by Peel’s health department because of the way information is collected and the timeframe of the reporting period. As well, Peel’s numbers are typically two days behind Ontario’s reporting period.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

British Columbia reports 656 COVID-19 cases, 16 new deaths – Global News

Published

 on


Another 16 people in B.C. have died from COVID-19, the province reported Tuesday.

B.C. health officials also recorded 656 cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, bringing the total number of cases in the province to 33,894.

The number of people in hospital rose by 20 to 336, a record high. Seventy-six of those patients are in intensive care, also an all-time high.






1:53
Monday’s three-day B.C. COVID-19 numbers with shocking total of deaths


Monday’s three-day B.C. COVID-19 numbers with shocking total of deaths

Tuesday marks the eighth straight day the province has recorded 10 or more coronavirus-related deaths. The province’s COVID-19 death toll now stands at 457.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
‘Like nothing I have felt before’: B.C. COVID-19 survivor blasts virus deniers in online post

The number of active cases in the province dipped slightly to 8,796, and 10,123 people are in self-isolation due to possible exposure to the novel coronavirus.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

On Monday, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry announced a total of 2,354 new cases, including all those diagnosed between Friday and Monday and another 277 historical cases added in a data correction.


Click to play video 'Another young B.C. COVID-19 victim warns it’s not just ‘another flu’'



1:58
Another young B.C. COVID-19 victim warns it’s not just ‘another flu’


Another young B.C. COVID-19 victim warns it’s not just ‘another flu’

Henry became emotional Monday as she expressed her condolences to those who have lost loved ones to COVID-19.

Read more:
Canada added over 6,000 new coronavirus cases each day since Friday, new data shows

“These people have faces, have names, have stories, have families,” Henry said.

Story continues below advertisement

“This tragedy is all of our tragedy and we all mourn their loss. If you are thinking it may be OK to bend the rules, please remember that this virus takes lives and it is the lives of those closest to us that are most at risk when we take risks.”

— With files from The Canadian Press

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Ontario's number of COVID-19 patients in ICUs climbs as Toronto reports a record 761 new cases – Toronto Star

Published

 on


The increasing number of hospitalizations for COVID-19 amid the relentless spread of the virus are signs Ontario will have to keep tightening pandemic restrictions.

That was the message from the president of the Ontario Hospital Association as admissions of COVID-19 patients to intensive care units approached 200, a level above which non-emergency surgeries are hampered.

“My sense is stronger measures are inevitable at the rate we’re going,” Anthony Dale said Tuesday as Ontario marked more than 1,700 new infections for the fifth straight day, as well as seven more deaths.

They fuelled a major jump in the closely watched seven-day average of cases, which surged by an even 100 to 1,670, an all-time high. Toronto alone reported a record 761 new cases, which medical officer Dr. Eileen de Villa called a “blunt warning” of community spread.

With hospitalizations typically lagging new cases by several weeks, hospitals are expecting their number of COVID-19 patients to keep climbing — perhaps at a faster pace.

The Ministry of Health reported Tuesday that 27 more people were admitted to hospitals, bringing the total to 645, with at least 112 patients on ventilators, up from 91 a week ago.

A separate overnight survey found 26 more critically ill patients with COVID-19 were transferred to intensive care units, raising that total to 193.

That type of increase is “no surprise,” said Dr. Irfan Dhalla, an internist and vice-president at St. Michael’s Hospital, who noted this is “definitely not the time to be musing about relaxing restrictions.”

Health Minister Christine Elliott said Scarborough General Hospital is one of several hospitals that has had to postpone procedures because ICU beds are filling up.

“We know that there are some hospitals that are in the hot zones that are already having to shut down somewhat their non-emergency procedures,” she told reporters at a news conference Premier Doug Ford missed because of what his staff called an unexpected but “non-urgent” medical appointment.

“As tragic as it is to have lost a loved one to COVID, it would be equally tragic to lose someone because of a cancer surgery or a cardiac surgery that wasn’t performed in time,” Elliott said.

Elliott said more than 3,100 hospital beds have been added since March to help cope with the second wave of the pandemic as Ontarians await a vaccine next year.

The 28-day lockdown for Toronto and Peel Region is in place until Dec. 21 when it will be reviewed, with Ontario chief medical officer Dr. David Williams looking for indications that restrictions such as a ban on indoor dining and the closures of gyms, cinemas, hair salons and non-essential retailers are working.

Health experts have cautioned that lifting those restrictions in the week before Christmas could send the wrong signals about risks from the pandemic, lead to a mad dash of holiday shopping and a further spike in cases.

“Officials will look at the situation in areas that are locked down, see if we’re flattening or reducing the rate of community growth. They’ll look at areas that are not in lockdown but are at different levels in the provincial framework,” Dale said.

“If those trends are not in the right place or heading in the wrong direction, we’re hopeful they’ll take the aggressive action that, really, has been shown worldwide to be necessary if we’re to halt the spread of COVID-19.”

Epidemiologists and doctors have said any easing of restrictions should be tied to vigorous testing and the full ability of public health units to trace the contacts of people testing positive for the virus to keep it in check.

Provincial officials keeping an eye on computer modelling have warned that Ontario could hit 400 patients in intensive care units with weeks; when that number hits 350, non-emergency surgeries become almost impossible.

Loading…

Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…

Another risk factor for hospitals is the number of outbreaks that are occurring within their walls because there are so many cases in the community, said Dale.

In London, University Hospital was hit so hard recently it had to close admissions to medical wards and cancel elective surgeries, with the added complication of an outbreak in its acclaimed organ transplant unit.

“It’s very sobering,” said Dale.

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Q:

What do you think about Toronto reporting a record number of new COVID-19 cases? Share your thoughts:

Conversations are opinions of our readers and are subject to the Code of Conduct. The Star does not endorse these opinions.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending