Connect with us

News

Coronavirus: Canada adds over 1,700 new cases, 161 new deaths – Global News

Published

on


Canada added 1,778 new coronavirus cases on Friday, with the majority coming from Ontario and Quebec.

The country’s COVID-19 death toll increased by 161 for a total of 2,302, putting it further above the 2,000 mark surpassed Thursday.

Quebec reported the greatest increase in cases in the country, adding 778 new cases to bring its total to 22,616.

The province also recorded 97 more deaths for a total of 1,340.

The majority of Quebec’s deaths have been in nursing homes, prompting the province’s premier, François Legault, to say Friday the province is “experiencing two different worlds.”


READ MORE:
Quebecers experiencing ‘2 different worlds’ as coronavirus crisis strikes long-term care homes, premier says

Ontario was not far behind Quebec with 640 new cases, the highest single-day increase in positive cases for the province, breaking the previous day’s record of 634 new cases. Ontario now has 13,519 total cases, and 763 total deaths after reporting 50 more on Friday.

Story continues below advertisement

According to the Ministry of Long-Term Care, 573 of the total deaths have been in long-term care homes across the province.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Testing in the province has dramatically increased, though, with 207,040 tests completed so far for the novel coronavirus, up from 12,295 tests from the previous day. Ontario has significantly increased testing capacity since mid-April.

Meanwhile, 7,087 Ontarians have recovered from COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, which is 52.4 per cent of the province’s cases.

On Monday, Ontario health officials said it appears cases within the community have peaked, while cases in long-term care homes and other congregate settings have been growing.






0:54
Coronavirus outbreak: Ontario health officials ‘remain extremely concerned’ about long-term care homes


Coronavirus outbreak: Ontario health officials ‘remain extremely concerned’ about long-term care homes

In Atlantic Canada, Nova Scotia was the only province to announce new cases, adding 23 to give it a total of 850. Elsewhere, plans to lift restrictions are beginning to take shape.

New Brunswick began its phased plan by allowing outdoor activities Friday after a sixth-straight day of no confirmed new cases, while P.E.I. has announced a plan to ease restrictions in mid-May.

Newfoundland and Labrador has reported one full week of no new positive cases of COVID-19.


READ MORE:
N.B. to allow outdoor activities, family ‘bubbles’ in relaxing COVID-19 restrictions

Out west, Manitoba recorded one new case, while B.C. added 29 new cases and four new deaths. The number of B.C. patients hospitalized with COVID-19 dropped below 100 Friday for the first time since late March.

Story continues below advertisement

Alberta had the third most new cases nationally with 297 reported, making a total of 4,017 cases in the province.

Ten new coronavirus cases were reported in Saskatchewan on Friday, bringing its overall total to 341, the province’s biggest one-day jump in new cases in over two weeks. Most of the new cases were in the northern region of the province, particularly La Loche, where premier Scott Moe said there was an outbreak.

Non-critical travel to northern Saskatchewan has now been restricted.


READ MORE:
Non-critical travel to northern Saskatchewan restricted due to coronavirus outbreak

Nevertheless, the province revealed a five-phase plan on Thursday for reopening its economy in mid-May.

No new cases were reported in Canada’s North.

— With files from Alexander Quon, Abby Rodrigues, Kalina Lafamboise, The Canadian Press, Simon Little

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

News

Canada approaches 91K coronavirus cases; sharp rise in daily deaths due to glitch – Globalnews.ca

Published

on


Canada’s new coronavirus cases remained in the triple-digit territory for the sixth day in a row, for a total of nearly 91,000 infections.

The vast bulk of the 756 new COVID-19 cases stem from Quebec and Ontario, which collectively account for a majority of the national death toll and caseload. More than 48,000 people are considered recovered so far across Canada.

The death toll rose by 221 on Sunday — but 165 of these were fatalities that date back several days.


READ MORE:
How many Canadians have the new coronavirus? Total number of confirmed cases by region

This is because Quebec reported a sharp rise in deaths — 202 in total — on Sunday due to a technical glitch. Only 37 of these deaths were from the last 24 hours, while the rest of the fatalities date back several days and weren’t taken into account earlier due to technical issues.

Story continues below advertisement

That leaves Sunday’s daily death toll, using figures from the past 24 hours, at 57 — the lowest it’s been since early April. The overall death toll stands at 7,295.

Quebec, the hardest-hit province in Canada, saw 408 new cases, bringing its total to more than 51,000 cases, including more than 16,000 recoveries. More than 4,600 people have died.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Ontario announced 326 new cases of COVID-19, and 19 new deaths, bringing figures to more than 27,800 cases and 2,266 deaths. More than 21,000 cases are deemed recoveries.






8:08
Coronavirus: How professional sports plans to return in the COVID-19 era


Coronavirus: How professional sports plans to return in the COVID-19 era

Alberta reported 18 new cases and no new deaths. The province has now seen more than 7,000 cases of COVID-19, with 89 per cent of them recovered so far. The death toll stands at 143. Stage 1 of the provincial reopening plan launches Monday. Anyone in Alberta can get tested for COVID-19, symptoms or not.

Story continues below advertisement

New Brunswick reported three new cases on Sunday. All are at a long-term care home, in people aged between 80 and 89.


READ MORE:
Troops in long-term care homes raise concerns about management, say many workers doing their best

The province was almost clear of all its COVID-19 cases until a new cluster appeared in Campbellton region, after a doctor who visited Quebec earlier in May did not self-isolate upon return. The community now has 12 active cases, while 120 prior cases throughout the province are considered resolved.

Saskatchewan reported one new case, for a total of 646 cases, and one new death, raising its death toll to 11. More than 580 people have recovered.

No new cases

Nova Scotia reported no new cases and deaths, as did Newfoundland and Labrador. There are 1,056 cases in Nova Scotia, including 15 active cases. Sixty people have died and the majority of fatalities are connected to one long-term care home in Halifax.






2:14
The coronavirus pandemic is changing the face of palliative care in Quebec


The coronavirus pandemic is changing the face of palliative care in Quebec

Newfoundland and Labrador remains at 261 cases and three deaths, with 255 recovered and three active.

Story continues below advertisement

Manitoba also reported no new cases. The province has 10 active cases left, with nobody hospitalized.

All cases resolved

Prince Edward Island’s 27 cases of COVID-19 have been resolved for some time. The Northwest Territories and the Yukon also have seen all their cases resolved.

Nunavut remains the only region in Canada that has not seen a confirmed case of COVID-19.

British Columbia had no figures to report on Sunday.


READ MORE:
‘The numbers don’t lie:’ Restaurant owners feel toll over coronavirus closures

Worldwide, the virus has infected more than 6.1 million people and killed more than 371,000. The U.S. accounts for the most number of cases (nearly 1.8 million) and the highest death toll (more than 104,000).

— With files by The Canadian Press

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Canadian Transportation Agency overwhelmed by 2-year backlog of air passenger complaints – CBC.ca

Published

on


The Canadian Transportation Agency is wrestling with a backlog of nearly 14,000 air passenger complaints accumulated over the past two years, at the same time as thousands of Canadians are demanding the agency help get their money back from flights cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

More than half of the 26,000 complaints submitted to the CTA from July 2018 to April 2020 are unresolved, according to a response to an order paper question by the NDP tabled in Parliament last week on the number, nature and resolution of passenger complaints.

The bulk of the complaints — which are meant to be addressed within 30 to 120 days — are for disruptions to flights including cancellations, tarmac delays and people being denied boarding. 

The backlog doesn’t come as a surprise to Mahesh Krishnamurthy, a Canadian living in the U.S. who flies often and has launched four complaints with the agency over the past 15 years.

“Four complaints, zero resolutions,” Krishnamurthy said. “You know it’s frustrating, but you realize at the end, sometimes that’s what government is.”

Krishnamurthy recently submitted a complaint about an Air Canada flight from New York to Australia, which was meant to depart in April but was cancelled because of travel restrictions. His other complaints have included delays or problems with ticket prices. 

Complaints surged after new passenger protections implemented

The CTA told CBC News the vast majority of untouched cases are not tied to the global public health crisis, which largely grounded air travel around the world.  

The number of complaints more than doubled after the second wave of air passenger protection regulations came into effect in December 2019, the agency said.

The regulations, first enacted in July 2019, are intended to ensure that both airlines and passengers know what their rights are when it comes to travel setbacks like delays and cancellations. The CTA is an independent, quasi-judicial tribunal and regulator tasked with settling disputes between the customers and airlines. 

It simply reflects the challenges of handling a 23-fold leap in demand– Canadian Transportation Agency

“The massive increase in complaint volumes has made it increasingly challenging to meet these standards, despite the mobilization of effort across the organization,” the agency wrote in a statement to CBC News. 

“This isn’t for lack of effort or commitment; it simply reflects the challenges of handling a 23-fold leap in demand.”

The agency said it has attempted to tackle the influx of cases by resolving complaints through more informal methods including mediation, launching inquiries to simultaneously clear up common complaints about the same issue and reallocating resources internally.

NDP transport critic Niki Ashton said the backlog shows the agency isn’t doing its job to protect passengers.

“The Canadian government should be stepping up … to make sure that Canadians’ complaints are being heard, are being resolved,” Ashton said.

Thousands of complaints since onset of pandemic

The COVID-19 pandemic has only added to the mounting pile of complaints. 

The CTA says it logged about 5,500 complaints from March 11 to May 28, though it did not disclose what they were about.

The number was revealed as Canadians across the country are calling on the federal government to compel airlines to refund costs for flights they were never able to board. Most Canadian airlines have offered passengers travel vouchers redeemable within two years — something the CTA has said could be reasonable during these extraordinary circumstances. 

Ashton, however, believes Ottawa should look harder at compensating those who cancelled their trips.

“That’s something that we know is a huge issue right now,” she said.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau said Friday that forcing airlines to refund passengers would have a “devastating effect” on an already battered industry.

Minister of Transport Marc Garneau said Canadian airlines could go bankrupt if they were forced to refund passengers billions of dollars for flights cancelled due to the pandemic. (Adrian Wyld/The Canadian Press)

Meanwhile, the CTA says that while none of its services were suspended because of the pandemic, it did suspend its interactions with airlines about outstanding disputes. 

That decision was made to allow carriers “to focus on immediate demands, such as repatriating Canadians stranded abroad, and to adjust their operations in light of plummeting passenger and flight volumes,” the agency said.

The CTA added conversations will resume with airlines starting in July. 

CAA: ‘The system is simply clogged up’

The Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) — a travel agency and consumer group that originally pushed for the passenger protections and took part in the consultation process — said the CTA can’t support passengers if it doesn’t have the staffing or resources to do so. 

“We’ve been saying since the start of this process that no matter how good the rules are, if we don’t have good enforcement, it’s simply not going to work,” said CAA spokesperson Ian Jack.

“The system is simply clogged up and not working. If we don’t have a system that people can trust because it’s going to deal with a complaint in a timely fashion, then the system just falls apart and we’re no better off than we were before we pushed to get this airline passenger bill of rights.”

Canadian Automobile Association spokesperson Ian Jack says that the CTA needs more staffing and resources to do its job, but that the agency also needs to be more transparent about its caseload. (Jean-Francois Benoit/CBC)

The CTA received temporary funding from the federal government over the past two fiscal years to address the rise in complaints, but the agency was not able to immediately confirm the amount to CBC News. The agency did say it nearly doubled the number of complaints it processed during that time period.

Jack said the next step is to go beyond opposition parties asking questions in Parliament: he wants to see data about complaints and the CTA’s response times made publicly available so consumers can see for themselves if it’s working.

“If people lose trust in the system, they’re never going to come back to it and we’re not going to have an effective air passenger rights regime in this country,” he said.

Krishnamurthy agrees.

“By the third or fourth time, you don’t really have any expectations of them actually resolving the complaint,” he said. “You know you’ve got to do it on your own.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Canada to spend $30M to promote holidays at home amid COVID-19 border closure – Globalnews.ca

Published

on


Canada will invest $30 million to enable its provinces and territories to promote holidays in their “own back yard” because of the closure of the country’s borders due to the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Destination Canada, the country’s national marketing body which usually focuses on luring international visitors, is due to announce the new funding later on Sunday, according to a statement seen by Reuters before its official release.


READ MORE:
Live updates: Coronavirus in Canada

Canada, which has had more than 7,000 deaths due to COVID-19, has closed its borders to non-essential travel since March, and it is unclear when they will be opened again. Many provinces have also shut down domestic non-essential travel.

Quebec, which shares borders with the U.S. states of New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, accounts for more than 60 per cent of the Canadian death toll from the virus, and Ontario, the most populous province, has also been hit hard.

Story continues below advertisement






4:55
Coronavirus outbreak: Why do we seek distractions during crises?


Coronavirus outbreak: Why do we seek distractions during crises?

The closures have hammered the tourism industry. Some 42 per cent of businesses in the accommodation and food sectors have reported revenue drops of more than 50  per cent, according to an April survey of 12,600 businesses.

At the end of 2018, one out of every 11 jobs in Canada was directly tied to travel, according to the Tourism Industry Association of Canada, but in April the unemployment rate in the tourism sector skyrocketed to more than 28 per cent.


READ MORE:
Canada surpasses 7,000 coronavirus deaths, new cases continue downward trend

Tourism is “a significant economic driver and source of local jobs. It’s also among one of the hardest hit sectors as a result of this pandemic,” Economic Development Minister Melanie Joly, who is responsible for tourism, said in the statement.

Story continues below advertisement

The aim is to provide a valuable lifeline to the struggling sector during its peak summer season, Ben Cowan-Dewar, chairman of Destination Canada, said in the statement.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

It is the first time Destination Canada has provided funding for domestic marketing, according to a spokesman in Joly’s office. The marketing arm in each of the 10 provinces and three territories will decide exactly how they want to use the money, the spokesman said.

© 2020 Reuters

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending