Connect with us

Health

Coronavirus: Staggering 480 new Manitoba cases Friday, code red likely in Winnipeg – Global News

Published

 on


This story will be updated when the press conference begins and throughout the conference as it runs.

Manitoba set a staggering new record for daily COVID-19 cases Friday, reporting 480 new cases, as health officials announced tough new public health orders across the province including red level restrictions in the Winnipeg area.

The latest cases bring the province’s total number of cases reported since March to 5,374 and come as Manitoba’s top doctor and chief nursing officer announced the tightened restrictions at a live COVID-19 update Friday.

“We have pleaded with Manitobans to follow the fundamentals and to significantly reduce their contacts, and the numbers continue in the wrong direction,” said Dr. Brent Roussin, Manitoba’s chief public officer of health.

Read more:
Manitoba health minister hints at tighter rules after record coronavirus case jump

Story continues below advertisement

“It is our hope that these new restrictions will help to halt the spread of this virus in order to ensure our health-care system is there for those who need it.

“I hope that this is a clear signal to Manitobans, and in particular the Winnipeg Metro Region, that we need to stay home, keep our distance and make a necessary collective sacrifice to protect all Manitobans.”

The province also announced three new deaths, bringing Manitoba’s total number fatalities related to COVID-19 to 65.






1:46
COVID-19 taking an extra toll on those with dementia


COVID-19 taking an extra toll on those with dementia

The latest victims are a man in his 80s and a woman in her 90s, both had been residents of Parkview Place Long Term Home in Winnipeg, the province said. Their deaths are the 20th and 21st connected to a deadly and ongoing outbreak at the Edmonton Street care home.

Story continues below advertisement

Manitoba’s five-day test positivity rate jumped to 8.6 per cent with the new cases, according to the province’s online COVID-19 dashboard.

As well as moving the Winnipeg area to level red, or critical, under the province’s COVID-19 pandemic response system, Roussin said the rest of Manitoba will be moving to orange, or restricted.

The changes will come into effect in all regions of Manitoba starting Monday, Roussin said.

Winnipeg under code red

In Winnipeg the move means bars and restaurants will close except for take out and delivery and most retail will be reduced to 25 per cent capacity. Sports and recreation programming will be suspended and gyms and fitness centres will have to cut capacity to 25 per cent.

Masks will now be mandatory — even when exercising — at Winnipeg gyms and fitness centres.

Movie theatres and concert halls will be closed, while faith-based gatherings are reduced to 15 per cent, or 100 people, whichever is lower.

What the province calls “personal services” will see no changes and stay at 50 per cent capacity.

Story continues below advertisement

Non-urgent and elective surgeries and diagnostics will be suspended, but Roussin said some essential and time-sensitive surgeries — including cancer, cardiac and trauma —  will go ahead. He said patients will be contacted directly.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Hospital visits have also been suspended, with some exceptions possible for patients receiving end-of-life care, in labour and delivery, as well as in pediatrics.

Level orange restrictions

Starting Monday the Southern Health, Prairie Mountain Health, and Interlake-Eastern health region will move to the restricted, or orange, level on the pandemic response system, joining the Northern Health region, which has had the orders in place for the last couple of weeks.

The restrictions will see public and private group gathering sizes limited to five people, in addition to those already in a household.

Restaurants and bars will have capacity capped at 50 per cent and group sizes will be limited to five. Retail will also be cut to 50 per cent and the province is encouraging limiting the number of people who go shopping from each household.

Personal services will have no change and stay at 50 per cent capacity, while sports and recreation facilities will be limited to 25 per cent capacity.

Story continues below advertisement

Gyms and fitness centers will being requiring contact information for all attendees and masks will be required at all times, except when exercising.

Faith-based gatherings will be cut to 20 per cent or 250 people, whichever is lower.

There will also be blended learning for Grades 9 to 12, and voluntary blended learning temporarily available for Kindergarten to Grade 8.

“The incubation period for this virus is up to 14 days – if we limit our contacts and stay home, we could see drastic reductions in transmission within weeks,” said  Roussin.

“We have done this before and I am confident we can do it again. But we need to be serious about this if we want to bend the curve.”

Record hospitalizations

Friday’s new cases include 309 in Winnipeg where the five-day test positivity rate rose to 9.7 per cent. They bring the total number of active cases reported across the province to 2,737.

The new cases were reported across the province Friday with 42 coming from the Interlake-Eastern health region, 25 coming from the Northern health regions, 10 reported in the Prairie Mountain Health region, and 94 identified in the Southern Health region.

Provincial data shows Manitoba set another grim record Friday, with 104 people in hospital with COVID-19 including 19 in intensive care.

Story continues below advertisement

On Thursday — after the province announced a previously record-setting 193 new cases — Manitoba Health Minister Cameron Friesen hinted tighter public health measures were likely coming to the Winnipeg area.

Neither Friesen nor Premier Brian Pallister were scheduled to be part of Friday’s press event, leaving Roussin and Manitoba’s chief nursing officer, Lanette Siragusa to announce the new restrictions.

Read more:
Another record-setting day of coronavirus cases in Manitoba, 1 new death reported Thursday

Friday’s unprecedented new case count follows weeks of rising numbers across the province.


Click to play video 'Answering your COVID-19 questions, Oct. 29'



3:52
Answering your COVID-19 questions, Oct. 29


Answering your COVID-19 questions, Oct. 29

As of Thursday Manitoba had gone 10 straight days with daily case counts of 100 or more, and 19 virus-related deaths have been announced since Oct. 21.

Story continues below advertisement

Earlier in the week Siragusa warned the recent spike in cases is taking a toll on health care.

Read more:
Another 3 coronavirus deaths, 170 new cases reported in Manitoba Wednesday

At the province’s last COVID-19 press conference Wednesday she said the occupancy rate of intensive care beds had risen to 92 per cent. A few dozen surgeries have had to be cancelled because staff have had to isolate while waiting for test results, she added.

The greater Winnipeg region is already under stricter rules than other areas, with lower public gathering limits and capacity caps at restaurants and lounges.


Click to play video 'Manitoba health officials give grim warnings as coronavirus numbers rise'



1:48
Manitoba health officials give grim warnings as coronavirus numbers rise


Manitoba health officials give grim warnings as coronavirus numbers rise

The province adopted a colour-coded pandemic response system in the summer. The Winnipeg region is already in the orange category, which has forced some bars to close and other licensed establishments to operate at reduced capacity and shut down nightly at 11 p.m.

Story continues below advertisement

If the region is downgraded to the red category, the government has a range of options that could include closing non-essential stores, forcing restaurants to provide only takeout and delivery, and requiring schools to stop in-class instruction and move to remote learning.

–More to come.

Questions about COVID-19? Here are some things you need to know:

Symptoms can include fever, cough and difficulty breathing — very similar to a cold or flu. Some people can develop a more severe illness. People most at risk of this include older adults and people with severe chronic medical conditions like heart, lung or kidney disease. If you develop symptoms, contact public health authorities.

To prevent the virus from spreading, experts recommend frequent handwashing and coughing into your sleeve. They also recommend minimizing contact with others, staying home as much as possible and maintaining a distance of two metres from other people if you go out. In situations where you can’t keep a safe distance from others, public health officials recommend the use of a non-medical face mask or covering to prevent spreading the respiratory droplets that can carry the virus. In some provinces and municipalities across the country, masks or face coverings are now mandatory in indoor public spaces.

Story continues below advertisement

For full COVID-19 coverage from Global News, click here.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

More COVID-19 deaths in Manitoba linked to hospital and care home outbreaks – CTV News Winnipeg

Published

 on


WINNIPEG —
The province has reported 12 more Manitobans have died of COVID-19 as of Tuesday, many of which are linked to outbreaks at hospitals and care homes.

For more than a month straight, Dr. Brent Roussin, the chief provincial public health officer, has listed off a growing list of Manitobans who have died of COVID-19 every single day.

Tuesday saw that grim trend continue, as Roussin reported the deaths of 12 more people.

These deaths include:

  • A man in his 60s from the Winnipeg health region and linked to the outbreak at St. Boniface Hospital, Unit E6;
  • A man in his 60s from the Winnipeg health region and linked to the outbreak at Health Science Centre unit A4;
  • A woman in her 60s from the Winnipeg health region and linked to the outbreak at St. Norbert personal care home;
  • A woman in her 60s from the Winnipeg health region;
  • Two men in their 70s from Southern Heath–Santé Sud health region;
  • A woman in her 70s from the Northern health region;
  • A man in his 80s from the Southern Heath–Santé Sud health region and linked to the outbreak at the Villa Youville personal care home;
  • A man in his 80s from the Southern Heath–Santé Sud health region and linked to the outbreak at Oakview Manor;
  • A man in his 80s from the Winnipeg health region and linked to the outbreak at Parkview Place;
  • A man in his 90s from the Prairie Mountain Health region and linked to the outbreak at the Fairview Personal Care Home; and
  • A woman in her 90s from the Southern Heath–Santé Sud health region and linked to the outbreak at the Rest Haven Nursing Home.

Roussin said the province defines COVID-19 deaths as someone who has died and has tested positive for COVID-19 unless health officials can clearly say it was not responsible for the death.

“If COVID-19 was at all related to it, then we would consider that a COVID-related death,” Roussin said.

He said, as an example, if someone died in a car crash and had tested positive for COVID-19 – it would not be counted as a COVID-19 death.

Since March, 248 people have died of COVID-19 in Manitoba.

ACTIVE CASES OF COVID-19 MAY BE LOWER THAN RECOVERIES, ROUSSIN SAYS

These cases bring Manitoba’s total number of cases to 14,558 since March, though the province removed five cases from the total on Tuesday due to a data correction.

The province also reported 280 more people have recovered from COVID-19 as of Tuesday, which brings Manitoba’s total recoveries to 5,633.

The province reported the number of active cases is 8,677, but Roussin said the actual number of active cases might be much lower.

He said if the number excludes those in hospital and accounts for unreported recoveries – which are considered 10 days after symptom onset – then the number of active cases would be 3,363 active cases.

There are now 292 people in hospital due to the virus, including 47 people in intensive care.

MANITOBANS NEED TO BRING THE NUMBERS DOWN, TOP DOCTOR SAYS

“We all know we need to bring these numbers down,” Roussin said, adding the caseloads are straining the health-care system.

“It does require us to limit a lot of things we love to do, but right the message is really clear – we need to stay home as much as possible.”

Roussin said the more people stay home, the fewer contacts each case will have, which will lead to a drop in Manitoba’s surging cases.

He reported 476 new cases of COVID-19, which have pushed Manitoba’s five-day test positivity rate to the highest it has ever been, reaching 14.2 per cent on Tuesday.

The majority of the cases are in the Winnipeg health region, which reported 257 cases of COVID-19 and has a test-positivity rate of 13.9 per cent.

The other cases reported on Tuesday include:

  • 37 cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region;
  • 38 cases in the Northern health region;
  • 33 cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region; and
  • 111 cases in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region.

This is a developing story. More to come.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Manitoba reports 476 new cases of COVID-19, 12 more deaths – CBC.ca

Published

 on


There are 476 new cases of COVID-19 and 12 more deaths in Manitoba, the province says, bringing the death toll to 248.

“These are Manitobans who are missed and are loved,” said Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin. 

The number of patients in hospital due to the illness has declined slightly to 292, down from 296 yesterday. Active cases in intensive care are also down five to 47.

The five-day provincial test positivity rate ties the record of 14.2 per cent.

Five of the people who died were in the Southern Health region. One of the deaths is someone from the Northern Health Region, and another is from the Prairie Mountain Health region.

Five deaths were in the Winnipeg health region, including two linked to hospital outbreaks.

The province is bolstering its contact tracing capacity using an automated calling system that will expand current monitoring methods, Roussin said.

Previous positive cases will be asked about testing, isolation and other public health guidelines in a question-and-answer format that people can respond to using the phone keypad.

The initial rollout will be focused on checking in with people who tested positive and are at or near the end of their mandated isolation period. There are “a lot” of people that are beyond their incubation period but remain listed in the active case totals, he said, and this should help deal with that backlog.

Despite a slight decline in the number in hospital, Roussin said health-care workers remain overwhelmed by the consistent pressure from high case numbers and people in hospital.

“Our health-care system is being pushed to its capacity,” he said. “Our health-care system can’t sustain levels of cases like this much longer.”

More to come

Read a previous version of this story below:


Manitoba’s top doctor will share the latest update on COVID-19 numbers in the province today after records for daily cases and the number in hospital with the illness were set yesterday.

Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin is expected to hold a news conference at 12:30 p.m. CT.

CBC News will live stream the briefing here and on CBC Gem, Facebook and Twitter.

At a morning news conference, Premier Brian Pallister said 95 tickets were issued last week to people violating current public health orders, as the province ramps up enforcement.

He also shared details about COVID-19 financial support programs for businesses forced to close during recent widespread restrictions.

Both Tuesday news conferences come after a record-breaking 546 cases were announced yesterday. 

Manitoba also reached another grim milestone on Monday, surpassing 14,000 total cases to date, meaning one in 100 Manitobans have contracted the virus.

The number of people in hospital with the illness also surged to a new high of 296, with a record-tying 52 in intensive care. Health officials continue to warn the system is strained and cannot sustain the continued pressures it is facing as cases mount and health-care workers are taken out of rotation due to exposures in hospital settings.

All three records occurred on the same day Roussin shared the first hint that provincewide code red restrictions under Manitoba’s pandemic response system may be working. The number of close contacts of positive cases has declined from about seven a month ago to closer to two more recently, he said.

The code red, or critical, level on the provincial pandemic scale was put in place nearly two weeks ago, ushering in a partial lockdown that closed places of worship, theatres, salons, gyms and a range of other non-essential businesses. 

More stringent restrictions came into effect on Friday, banning private indoor gatherings, with few exceptions, and restricting the sale of non-essential items at businesses permitted to remain open to in-store shopping.

As of yesterday, 236 people had died of COVID-19, with nearly half of those deaths reported this month.

Many of the deaths are linked to care home outbreaks — a quarter of all deaths are tied to two Winnipeg long-term care facilities.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

BC health officials to provide COVID-19 update on Tuesday afternoon | News – Daily Hive

Published

 on


Health officials in British Columbia are scheduled to provide a written update on COVID-19 on Tuesday afternoon.

The announcement comes after 1,933 new test-positive cases were announced between Friday and Monday. During a press conference on Monday, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said there were 713 cases reported from Friday to Saturday, 626 from Saturday to Sunday, and 594 from Sunday to Monday.

There are currently 7,360 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 10,200 people are under active public health monitoring due to identified exposure to known cases.

Additionally, 277 individuals are hospitalized with COVID-19, 59 of whom are in intensive care.

  • See also: 

On Monday, Dr. Henry also clarified the kinds of events that would be suspended under the new COVID-19 health orders.

The new order includes gatherings at hotels, restaurants, bars, movie theatres, and cinemas. Henry added that popular seasonal holiday events are also included.

“I know this means delaying the opening of some very great and well-thought-out seasonal events like the Holiday Train in Stanley Park and the Bouchart Garden Light Display, among many others, that had previously been approved across the province,” she said.

The few exceptions to cancelled events include funerals, weddings, and ceremonies such as baptisms, although those will have “increased restrictions on them.”

Events like City Council meetings and support group meetings have also not been explicitly cancelled, although Henry strongly advised hosting them virtually, if possible.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending