- Ontario enters provincewide lockdown in effort to curb rising COVID-19 case counts.
- Most Boxing Day shopping expected to happen online.
- Worldwide cases surpass 80 million.
- Millions of Americans lose jobless benefits as Trump refuses to sign aid bill.
- Have a question about COVID-19 in Canada? Send your questions to COVID@cbc.ca.
A provincewide lockdown meant to bring down COVID-19 case counts takes effect Saturday in Ontario.
The restrictions will remain in place for southern Ontario until Jan. 23 but will lift for northern Ontario on Jan. 9.
The move was announced on Monday after the provincial government took part in emergency talks last weekend.
WATCH | Provincewide lockdown comes into effect in Ontario:
Under the new rules, restaurants can only provide takeout, drive-thru and delivery, including the sale of alcohol.
Supermarkets, pharmacies and retailers that primarily sell food can stay open for in-person shopping but with distancing and limits on capacity.
When the holiday break is over, children enrolled in publicly funded elementary and secondary schools will participate in remote learning from Jan. 4 to Jan. 8, and some longer depending on their age and area.
WATCH | Health-care workers reflect on difficult year, unite in holiday message:
The lockdown began with Ontario reporting a two-day total of 4,301 cases of COVID-19.
Health Minister Christine Elliott said 2,142 new cases of the virus were reported on Saturday and 2,159 new cases were logged on Christmas Day.
The 4,301 new infections bring Ontario’s COVID-19 case total to 169,411, including deaths and recoveries. There are nearly 20,000 active cases of novel coronavirus infection across the province.
There were 38 deaths reported on Saturday. Forty-three people died on Friday, bringing the total number of deaths reported since the pandemic began to 4,359.
What’s happening in Canada
As of about 11:30 a.m. ET, Canada’s COVID-19 case count stood at 539,547, with 76,523 of those cases considered active. A CBC News tally of deaths stood at 14,801.
Aside from Ontario, the only provinces to release new numbers so far on Saturday are New Brunswick and Alberta.
New Brunswick announced two new cases, which means the province now has 38 active cases. There have been eight deaths and one person is in hospital, in the intensive care unit.
In Alberta, Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw released a modified update on Saturday. The province saw an estimated 1,200 new cases on Dec. 24 and 900 new cases on Dec. 25. There was a small increase in the number of patients in the province’s ICU, Hinshaw said on Twitter.
Here is today’s <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/COVID19AB?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#COVID19AB</a> modified update:<br><br>On Dec. 24, there was an estimated:<br>- 1200 cases<br>- 17,800 laboratory tests<br>- 7% positivity<br>- hospitalizations – small increase<br>- ICU – small increase
Boxing Day is supposed to be the post-Christmas shopping day that deal hunters have been waiting for, but with non-essential retail shuttered or restricted across much of the country, the usual crowded malls and long lineups are expected to be replaced with internet searches and online orders.
Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba have all closed non-essential retail, while much of the rest of the country has curtailed in-store capacity.
Farla Efros, president of HRC Retail Advisory, says there will be fire-sale prices on some items.
She said retailers don’t want to get stuck with a backlog of holiday and seasonal inventory and also need to shore up their balance sheets in the face of mounting lockdowns and restrictions.
WATCH | Pfizer, Moderna vaccines can be modified to tackle variants, expert says:
What’s happening around the world
As of noon ET on Saturday, more than 80 million coronavirus cases had been reported worldwide, with more than 45.1 million cases considered recovered or resolved, according to a running tally kept by Johns Hopkins University researchers. The global death toll stood at more than 1.7 million.
In the Americas, millions of people in the U.S. saw their jobless benefits expire on Saturday after U.S. President Donald Trump refused to sign into law a $2.3 trillion US pandemic aid and spending package, protesting that it did not do enough to help everyday people.
Trump stunned Republicans and Democrats alike when he said this week he was unhappy with the massive bill, which provides $892 billion in badly needed coronavirus relief, including extending special unemployment benefits expiring on Dec. 26 and $1.4 trillion for normal government spending.
Without Trump’s signature, about 14 million people could lose those extra benefits, according to Labor Department data. A partial government shutdown will begin on Tuesday unless Congress can agree on a stop-gap government funding bill.
WATCH | Is one COVID-19 vaccine better than another?:
In Europe, Hungary began vaccinating its people against COVID-19 on Saturday, a day ahead of rollouts in several other European countries. Mass vaccination across the European Union, home to almost 450 million people, would be a crucial step toward ending the pandemic. Hungary administered the vaccine, developed by Pfizer and BioNTech, to front-line workers at hospitals in the capital, Budapest, after receiving its first shipment of enough doses to inoculate 4,875 people.
The rollout came a day before countries including France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Portugal and Spain are planning to begin mass vaccinations, starting with health workers.
In Asia, South Korea posted its second-highest daily number of coronavirus cases on Saturday as outbreaks at a prison, nursing homes and churches continued to grow, prompting authorities to plead for a halt to all year-end gatherings. The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) said there were 1,132 new coronavirus cases on Friday, not far off the record 1,241 logged a day earlier.
Meanwhile, China’s capital has urged residents not to leave the city during the upcoming Lunar New Year holidays, implementing fresh restrictions after several coronavirus infections last week. Two domestic cases were reported on Friday — a convenience store worker and a Hewlett Packard Enterprise employee. Another two asymptomatic cases were discovered in Beijing earlier in the week.
Beijing is conducting testing on a limited scale in the neighbourhoods and workplaces where the cases were found. To contain any new outbreaks, the Beijing government cancelled big gatherings such as sports events and temple fairs.
Coronavirus infections in Tokyo hit a record daily high of 949 cases on Saturday as Japan heads into the New Year holiday, which normally sees people stream from the capital into the provinces. Serious cases were unchanged from a day earlier at 81. Local media reported subdued scenes at Tokyo transport hubs a day after Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, under pressure as daily cases continue to climb, urged the nation to stay home and avoid social mixing.
Canada braces for Biden’s expected executive order enacting ‘Buy American’ plan – Global News
Less than a week after the economic gut punch of Keystone XL, Canada is bracing for more bad news today from the White House.
The plan promises to increase the amount of U.S. content a project would require to qualify as being “made in America.”
It also includes a “crackdown” on waivers like the hard-won exceptions Canada secured during the Obama administration in 2010.
Today’s executive order comes less than a week after Biden rescinded a presidential permit for the Keystone XL pipeline expansion.
It also establishes a new Made-in-America office in the White House to oversee the new rules and ensure they are properly enforced.
In a statement Monday, Canada’s Trade Minister Mary Ng said Prime Minister Trudeau emphasized that workers in both countries “benefit from our integrated, secure and resilient supply chains,” during his call with Biden on Friday.
“The Prime Minister and President agreed to consult closely, and discussions between our two countries are already underway,” the statement read.
Ng said Canada is the “largest export market for the U.S., buying more goods from the U.S., than China, Japan and the U.K. combined.”
“Canada is the number one customer for 32 U.S. states,” she said.
Ng said the Canadian government will “continue to work closely together to support sustainable economic recovery, create jobs, and grow the middle class in Canada and the United States.”
-With files from Global News
© 2021 The Canadian Press
Freeland hints at potential hotel quarantines for returning travellers – CTV News
Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland says the federal government is “looking seriously” at tougher travel measures to fight the COVID-19 pandemic, including mandatory hotel quarantines for air travellers returning from non-essential trips abroad.
Freeland’s remarks build on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s leaving the door open earlier this month to tighter restrictions, sparking questions about how a stricter isolation regime would roll out relative to other countries.
Successful pandemic repellers from South Korea to Australia and New Zealand require 14-day hotel quarantines for passengers arriving from abroad.
Dr. Zain Chagla, an infectious disease physician at St. Joseph’s hospital in Hamilton, says the move would deter leisure travel, and could include scheduled testing that allows guests who come up negative to go home earlier.
Federal data suggests only a small fraction of COVID-19 cases are linked to travel, but there is still virtually no testing at the border and many recent cases do not have an identified source.
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says the government should consider mandatory hotel quarantines as well as outright bans on non-essential international travel, which Quebec Premier Francois Legault has also called for.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 25, 2021.
The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada for Monday, Jan. 25, 2021 – News 1130
The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada (all times eastern):
There are 1,958 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Ontario today and 43 more deaths attributed to the novel coronavirus.
Health Minister Christine Elliott says 727 of the new cases are in Toronto, 365 in Peel Region, and 157 in York Region.
She says nearly 36,000 tests were completed since Sunday’s report.
Ontario also reports that 2,448 more cases of COVID-19 are considered resolved.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 25, 2021.
The Canadian Press
Backyard bird feeders proving deadly for B.C. birds – Global News
Taiwan economy seen growing 3.61% in fourth quarter on boost from exports: Reuters poll – The Guardian
Filipina front-line workers are turning their pandemic struggles into art – CTV News
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
Sports22 hours ago
Player grades: Jesse Puljujarvi has game of his life as Edmonton Oilers beat Winnipeg Jets in a thriller – Edmonton Journal
Health10 hours ago
Spain’s COVID-19 infections hit new high as regions double down on measures
Business10 hours ago
BlackBerry says unaware of reason for stock price surge
Sports2 hours ago
Saskatchewan-raised WHL player Kyrell Sopotyk paralyzed in snowboarding accident – CBC.ca
Economy9 hours ago
Canada worried by Biden’s ‘Buy American’ plans, will make issue a priority
Science22 hours ago
Twenty new COVID cases in New Brunswick as Edmundston region enters lockdown – Burnaby Now
Health9 hours ago
Moderna shot protects against new virus variants; higher blood thinner dose keeps patients off ventilators
Business24 hours ago
How Canada's 742531 COVID-19 cases break down by province | News – Daily Hive