Connect with us

News

Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Wednesday – CBC.ca

Published

 on


The latest:

The UN health agency says coronavirus cases globally rose for a fifth straight week, with counts in Africa and the Americas now ticking up after holding mostly steady for weeks.

Deaths climbed in every region except Africa. The World Health Organization (WHO) said Wednesday the number of new deaths rose five per cent to more than 64,000 over the last week — a second straight weekly increase after falling or staying nearly flat for weeks.

Europe and the Americas still account for about four-fifths of all cases and deaths. The U.S. leads the world with more than 30 million coronavirus cases and nearly 551,000 deaths.

The news from WHO comes ahead of a scheduled a televised address from President Emmanuel Macron of France, a possible harbinger of tighter restrictions to combat surging coronavirus hospitalizations.

Previous countrywide lockdowns in France in March and October of 2020 were announced by Macron in televised speeches. His office said Wednesday that Macron will address the country at 8 p.m. local time (2 p.m. ET), without offering any details about what he might say.

Ahead of his weekly coronavirus strategy meeting Wednesday with ministers and aides, Macron was under intense pressure to close schools and further restrict people’s movements to ease growing pressure on hospitals.

Strain on hospitals in France

The total number of COVID-19 patients in intensive care in France surged past 5,000 on Tuesday, the first time in 11 months that the figure has been that high.

Short of a full lockdown, Macron is running out of alternatives to make a major dent in the renewed surge of infections that has led to growing questions about his government’s virus strategies. With presidential elections scheduled for 2022, Macron is having to weigh both political and health considerations.

An overnight countrywide curfew has been in place since January. In Paris and other regions where the virus is spreading rapidly, residents already also have extra restrictions on movement and non-essential stores are closed.

Schoolchildren clean their hands at the private primary school Jeanne D’Arc in Saint-Maur-des-Fosses, near Paris, on Tuesday. (Gonzalo Fuentes/Reuters)

School closures were among options being considered Wednesday. They’d previously been described as a last resort by the government.

“What we needed earlier was a strict lockdown and huge vaccination drive, but it’s still not too late,” Gilbert Deray, a senior clinician at the Pitie-Salpeterie hospital in Paris, told Europe 1 radio.

According to a tracking tool maintained by Johns Hopkins University, France has seen more than 4.6 million cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began and more than 95,400 deaths.

-From The Associated Press, Reuters and CBC News, last updated at 10:25 a.m. ET


What’s happening across Canada

WATCH | Uncertainty surrounds Ontario’s plan to tackle 3rd COVID-19 wave:

Ontario’s third wave of COVID-19 is hitting younger and middle-aged people the hardest. Case rates are still rising, ICUs are already full and it’s not clear what the province plans to do about it. 3:35

As of 12:40 p.m. ET, Canada had reported 979,963 cases of COVID-19, with 47,139 cases considered active. A CBC News tally of deaths stood at 22,950.

Ontario on Wednesday reported 2,333 new cases of COVID-19 and 15 additional deaths. Data published to a provincial dashboard put the number of COVID-19 hospitalizations at 1,111, with 396 in intensive care units. 

Data from Critical Care Services Ontario, however, put the number of COVID-19 patients being treated in the province’s intensive care units at 421. The data posted online to the province’s COVID-19 dashboard is lower than the CCSO data because officials stop including hospitalized patients in that count when they are no longer testing positive for COVID-19.

When asked about the ICU numbers in Ontario on Wednesday, Premier Doug Ford said to expect an announcement on Thursday.

“I’m very, very concerned to see the cases go up,” he said. “I’m very concerned to see the ICU capacity.” The premier’s comments come a day after he said he wouldn’t hesitate to lock things down again if needed. 

In Quebec, Premier François Legault is expected to hold a news conference at 5 p.m. ET.  The planned update comes a day after the premier suggested some regions in the province could soon see additional restrictions.

Health officials in Quebec reported 1,025 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday and nine additional deaths. Hospitalizations in the province stood at 485, a dashboard said, with 120 people in intensive care units.

Across the North, there were no new cases reported in Nunavut on Wednesday. Health officials in Yukon and the Northwest Territories had not yet provided updated figures for the day.

In Atlantic Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador reported one new case of COVID-19 on Wednesday.

“Let’s focus our attention on controlling what we can, protecting one another, and keeping COVID at bay,” said Dr. Janice Fitizgerald, the province’s chief medical officer of health, at a briefing on the virus and ongoing vaccine rollout efforts. “Hold fast, Newfoundland and Labrador.”

Health officials in New BrunswickNova Scotia and Prince Edward Island had not yet reported updated figures for the day.

In the Prairie provinces, Manitoba reported 77 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday and no additional deaths. 

WATCH | Worries grow about Regina’s COVID-19 outbreak spreading throughout Saskatchewan:

Regina’s ICUs are operating above capacity as younger, sicker COVID-19 patients flood in, amid a surge in cases there. And now there are concerns the problem could spread provincewide. 2:04

Saskatchewan, meanwhile, reported 164 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday and one additional death. The province said 91 of these infections are from in and around Regina, which is battling a spread of more infectious variants. There are 160 people in hospital in the province, with 22 of the patients in intensive care.

Premier Scott Moe on Tuesday urged people to be “very diligent” in following public health orders and called on all eligible people to make an appointment to get their vaccine.

“I believe that we will be able to get our case numbers under control in the few communities where they’re increasing  without further … restrictions, but we all need to do our part,” Moe said. 

In Alberta, health officials reported 576 new cases and four additional deaths on Tuesday. Hospitalizations in the province stood at 301, with 58 people listed as being in intensive care.

British Columbia reported 840 new daily cases on Tuesday but no additional deaths. Hospitalizations stood at 312, with 78 in intensive care. 

-From CBC News and The Canadian Press, last updated at 12:35 p.m. ET.


What’s happening around the world

A worker prepares oxygen cylinders at a COVID-19 quarantine centre in Aden, Yemen. (Fawaz Salman/Reuters)

As of early Wednesday afternoon more than 128.3 million cases of COVID-19 had been reported worldwide, according to the tracking tool maintained by Johns Hopkins University. The global death toll stood at more than 2.8 million.

Japan is the latest nation calling for further investigation into the origins of COVID-19, saying the report released this week at a WHO briefing was based on work that faced delays and lacked access to essential virus samples.

“In order to prevent future pandemics, it is indispensable to carry out prompt, independent and experts-led investigations that are free of surveillance,” chief cabinet secretary Katsunobu Kato told reporters. “We are concerned that the latest investigation faced delays and the lack of access to virus samples.”

The report was released Tuesday after experts travelled to Wuhan, China, the city where illnesses from the coronavirus were first detected in late 2019.

WATCH | How exactly did COVID-19 begin?:

Front Burner23:53How, exactly did COVID-19 begin?

The release of a WHO report on the origins of COVID-19 is drawing both international curiosity and concern over China’s transparency. Nature senior reporter Amy Maxmen explains the investigation’s findings as well as criticisms over its access and independence. 23:53

China has touted its co-operation with WHO and warned that attempts to politicize the matter would cost lives. The U.S. and other countries say the WHO report lacked crucial information, access and transparency and further study was warranted.

Kato called for additional investigation and analysis and said Japan will encourage WHO to consider additional investigation inside China.

“We will further co-operate with other countries in carrying out additional studies that are still necessary,” Kato said.

The report said the virus most likely came from bats and spread to an unidentified mammal before being transmitted to people.

In the Middle East, Yemen has received a first batch of coronavirus vaccines from the United Nations-backed COVAX initiative.The shipment of 360,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine has landed in the port city of Aden on Wednesday, in co-ordination with WHO and UNICEF, the two UN agencies said in a statement.

The doses have come amid a “dramatic influx” of critically ill COVID-19 patients in Yemen as a second wave of the pandemic overwhelms the country’s depleted medical facilities, according to Doctors Without Borders.

The shipment, produced by the Serum Institute in India, is the first batch of 1.9 million doses that Yemen will initially receive throughout 2021, it said. Yemen has reported more than 3,800 infectious cases and 810 confirmed deaths.

In the Americas, Ecuador’s health system is under severe strain from a spike in COVID-19 and some hospitals in the capital Quito are working above capacity to treat patients, doctors said on Tuesday.

In Africa, South Africa on Tuesday more than doubled the number of people who can gather indoors for Easter religious services because COVID-19 transmission remains relatively low.

In Europe, Poland reported its highest number of deaths related to COVID-19 so far this year on Wednesday, as concern mounts that the health system is cracking under the strain of the pandemic’s third wave.

A hospital paramedic takes off his personal protective equipment after checking a COVID-19 patient under quarantine last week in Bochnia, Poland. (Omar Marques/Getty Images)

Spain has decided to extend AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccination to essential workers over 65 years old to protect a small group of people who have not yet retired, the health ministry said on Wednesday.

In the Asia-Pacific region, China carried out about 3.7 million vaccinations on March 30, bringing the total number administered to 114.69 million, according to data released by the National Health Commission on Tuesday.

The southwestern Chinese city of Ruili that borders Myanmar ordered a one-week home quarantine for residents of the city’s urban area, and mass COVID-19 testing, after reporting six new locally transmitted cases.

-From Reuters and The Associated Press, last updated at noon ET

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Citigroup lawyer says another bank made bigger payment error than Revlon

Published

 on

NEW YORK (Reuters) – A lawyer for Citigroup Inc told a U.S. judge on Friday he was aware of another large bank that recently made a bigger payment error than Citigroup made last August when it sent $894 million of its own money to Revlon Inc lenders.

Neal Katyal, the lawyer, made the disclosure at a hearing in Manhattan federal court, where Citigroup urged U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman to extend a freeze on $504 million that it has been unable to recoup from the Revlon lenders.

Katyal did not identify the bank, the size of the payment error, or whether the error was fixed.

Citigroup is appealing Furman’s Feb. 16 decision that 10 asset managers, whose clients include Revlon lenders, could keep its mistaken payments.

Furman accepted the asset managers’ argument that Citigroup, as Revlon’s loan agent, paid what they were owed, and they had no reason to think a sophisticated bank would blunder so badly.

Citigroup has said the lenders received a “windfall,” and Furman’s decision could steer banks away from doing wire transfers in a “finders, keepers” marketplace.

Katyal is a partner at Hogan Lovells and former Acting U.S. Solicitor General. Citigroup hired him for its appeal.

 

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; editing by Diane Craft)

Continue Reading

News

Canada aims to raise safety along notorious “Highway of Tears” with cell phone service

Published

 on

By Moira Warburton

VANCOUVER (Reuters) – Canadian authorities will help fund mobile phone service to increase safety along a remote stretch of highway in British Columbia known as the “Highway of Tears” for the number of women who have gone missing on the route, most of them indigenous.

Indigenous groups recommended the move in 2006 in a report on disappearances and murders of women along the highway between the cities of Prince Rupert and Prince George, roughly 800 km (500 miles) north of Vancouver.

The recommendation was endorsed by a provincial government-mandated commission several years later.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are investigating 13 cases of murdered women and five who disappeared on or near the Highway of Tears, although no new cases have been added since 2007. Advocates believe the number of homicides and missing is significantly higher.

Lisa Beare, British Columbia’s minister of citizens’ services, called the project “a critical milestone in helping prevent future tragedies along this route.”

Cell phone plans in Canada are among the most expensive in the world, according to government data, and the cost and lack of coverage in rural areas was a top issue in the last election.

The provincial and federal governments will contribute C$4.5 million towards the C$11.6 million ($9.24 million) cost for Rogers Communications to install 12 cell phone towers, the British Columbia government said on Wednesday.

Lorraine Whitman, president of the Native Women’s Association of Canada, applauded the plan but said it was only one step in making the area safer for indigenous women.

“This truly is a blessing for the women,” she said. “But not all women have a phone. These towers are being put up, but it makes no use to the person that has no cell phone.”

($1 = 1.2558 Canadian dollars)

 

(Reporting by Moira Warburton in Vancouver; Editing by Sonya Hepinstall)

Continue Reading

News

Canadian fertilizer producer Nutrien to cut greenhouse gas emissions 30% by 2030

Published

 on

By Rod Nickel and Rithika Krishna

(Reuters) –Canada‘s Nutrien Ltd, the world’s largest fertilizer producer by capacity, said on Thursday it aimed to cut greenhouse gas emissions by at least 30% by 2030, in a plan costing the company up to $700 million.

Agricultural companies, including Mosaic and Corteva, have set carbon emissions targets as climate-conscious investors push firms to become more environmentally friendly.

Nutrien plans to spend $500 million to $700 million to meet the carbon emissions target, which includes cutting emissions from nitrogen production by 1 million tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent annually by the end of 2023.

“We’re in a really unique spot to address two big societal challenges – food security, and in a way that reduces our environmental footprint,” said Mark Thompson, Nutrien’s chief corporate development and strategy officer, in an interview.

Synthetic fertilizers account for 12% of global emissions from agriculture, according to a 2016 United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization report.

Nutrien’s target includes Scope 1 and 2 emissions, which reflect direct operations and electricity use. Nutrien is addressing Scope 3 emissions – those related to on-farm activity – with a program that encourages growers to adopt sustainable practices that generate monetary credits.

The Saskatoon, Saskatchewan-based company plans to deploy wind and solar energy at four potash plants by the end of 2025, replacing electricity generated by coal and natural gas.

It also plans to expand its sequestration of carbon emissions from nitrogen fertilizer production and to invest in technology to capture nitrous oxide gas from its facilities.

Nutrien estimates that its carbon credit program could directly amount to $10 to $20 per acre for farmers, and it expects to benefit financially itself as well.

“If we can provide agronomic value and the value of the carbon credit over time, we’ll have customer loyalty – we anticipate that we’ll be a preferred supplier,” Thompson said.

(Reporting by Rithika Krishna in Bengaluru and Rod Nickel in Winnipeg; Editing by Sriraj Kalluvila and Steve Orlofsky)

Continue Reading

Trending