Connect with us

Tech

Dell Precision 5550 workstation laptop review: nearly perfect – Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Published

 on


Article content continued

SPECworkstation 3.0.4

For the GPU, I selected Maya and 3ds Max, both of which are popular animation tools.

SPECworkstation 3.0.4 Score
Maya-05 1.39
3dsmax-06 1.5

Blender

Blender is a rendering benchmark like Cinebench and uses its own Cycles rendering engine.

According to Blender’s database, the Nvidia Quadro T2000 Max-Q scored around the media rendering time of the other T2000 Max-Q in other designs.

General productivity

PCMark 10

UL’s PCMark 10 puts the device through a series of tasks like web browsing and writing, things that a user would do during their daily routine.

Precision 5550 crushes this test, to no one’s surprise.

Storage

The Precision 5550 has two M.2 slots that can operate in RAID mode. Drive selections also include options with Opal self-encryption as well.

The 1TB SSD boasts excellent performance across all metrics.

Dell Precision 5550 battery Life

The Precision 5550 managed 9 hours in the UL PCMark 10’s battery test, a respectable score for a workstation laptop. Although PCMark 10’s battery test provides a good mix of web browsing, general productivity and editing workloads, it doesn’t simulate the workload of someone who pushes the laptop to the limit day in and day out. For those who fall into that category, it’s a safe bet to keep it plugged in.

Dell Precision 5550 keyboard and trackpad

Being a 15.6-inch laptop, the Precision 5550 has plenty of room to fit in a comfortable keyboard and a massive trackpad. Seriously, the trackpad is larger than my Pixel 4XL. Its size makes sense, however, as editors and designers sometimes have to make edits at very low mouse sensitivity. A large trackpad can reduce the number of times they have to lift their fingers. It’s the small details that matter.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

BC First Nation 'outraged' after Green MLA reveals COVID-19 outbreak – Surrey Now-Leader – Surrey Now-Leader

Published

 on


The Tsartlip First Nation expressed outrage this week after Green MLA Adam Olsen revealed that the community had been experiencing a COVID-19 outbreak – a fact that the First Nation chose not to make public after witnessing the racism faced by the Cowichan Tribes after an outbreak there.

On March 2, Olsen, the representative for Saanich North and the Islands, shared on social media that the Tsartlip had been under shelter-in-place orders for several weeks and that all adults would be receiving a vaccine dose shortly. He added that as a member and resident of the nation, he too would be vaccinated on March 3.

READ ALSO: ‘Vile; filled with racism’: Officials condemn reaction to Cowichan First Nations COVID outbreak

In a public statement on Thursday, Chief Don Tom called Olsen’s announcement “highly offensive” and said the MLA had overstepped his role. He said the Tsartlip First Nation experienced an outbreak at the end of January and members were ordered to shelter-in-place starting Feb. 8. He said the last positive test was on Feb. 6 and that the nation currently has no active cases of COVID-19.

“Tsartlip has a right to self-determination, we cannot have an MLA misrepresenting our First Nation, and taking liberties to make public statements without consulting Tsartlip,” Tom said, adding that Olsen owed the community a public apology.

READ ALSO: BCAFN condems racism against Cowichan Tribes after COVID-19 outbreak

The same day, Olsen called Tom to offer his “unreserved apology” and shared an open letter on social media acknowledging it is not his role as an MLA to speak on behalf of the nation.

“I know these past weeks have been an incredibly difficult time for our community and I’m devastated that my actions have increased anxiety,” he wrote. “You have my commitment that this situation will not be repeated, and I fully accept your frustration and anger with my actions.”

READ ALSO: Adam Olsen declared winner in Saanich North and the Islands

Tom emphasized that the Tsartlip First Nation had specifically chosen to keep the outbreak private after witnessing the “cruel racism” members of the Cowichan Tribes experienced after an outbreak was declared in January. The Cowichan Tribes issued a stay-at-home order until Jan. 22 after more than 70 COVID-19 cases were reported.

According to Derek Thompson, Cowichan Tribes general manager, racism towards members of the First Nation increased immediately after the outbreak was disclosed.

“We chose to not subject Tsartlip members to this and kept our outbreak status private,” Tom said, noting that after Olsen revealed the situation, the First Nation was forced to address the outbreak publicly and clarify the situation. “Our membership now feel angst and worry for their social well-being.”

-With files from the Canadian Press


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

CoronavirusFirst NationsSaanich Peninsula

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

BC First Nation 'outraged' after Green MLA reveals COVID-19 outbreak – Abbotsford News – Abbotsford News

Published

 on


The Tsartlip First Nation expressed outrage this week after Green MLA Adam Olsen revealed that the community had been experiencing a COVID-19 outbreak – a fact that the First Nation chose not to make public after witnessing the racism faced by the Cowichan Tribes after an outbreak there.

On March 2, Olsen, the representative for Saanich North and the Islands, shared on social media that the Tsartlip had been under shelter-in-place orders for several weeks and that all adults would be receiving a vaccine dose shortly. He added that as a member and resident of the nation, he too would be vaccinated on March 3.

READ ALSO: ‘Vile; filled with racism’: Officials condemn reaction to Cowichan First Nations COVID outbreak

In a public statement on Thursday, Chief Don Tom called Olsen’s announcement “highly offensive” and said the MLA had overstepped his role. He said the Tsartlip First Nation experienced an outbreak at the end of January and members were ordered to shelter-in-place starting Feb. 8. He said the last positive test was on Feb. 6 and that the nation currently has no active cases of COVID-19.

“Tsartlip has a right to self-determination, we cannot have an MLA misrepresenting our First Nation, and taking liberties to make public statements without consulting Tsartlip,” Tom said, adding that Olsen owed the community a public apology.

READ ALSO: BCAFN condems racism against Cowichan Tribes after COVID-19 outbreak

The same day, Olsen called Tom to offer his “unreserved apology” and shared an open letter on social media acknowledging it is not his role as an MLA to speak on behalf of the nation.

“I know these past weeks have been an incredibly difficult time for our community and I’m devastated that my actions have increased anxiety,” he wrote. “You have my commitment that this situation will not be repeated, and I fully accept your frustration and anger with my actions.”

READ ALSO: Adam Olsen declared winner in Saanich North and the Islands

Tom emphasized that the Tsartlip First Nation had specifically chosen to keep the outbreak private after witnessing the “cruel racism” members of the Cowichan Tribes experienced after an outbreak was declared in January. The Cowichan Tribes issued a stay-at-home order until Jan. 22 after more than 70 COVID-19 cases were reported.

According to Derek Thompson, Cowichan Tribes general manager, racism towards members of the First Nation increased immediately after the outbreak was disclosed.

“We chose to not subject Tsartlip members to this and kept our outbreak status private,” Tom said, noting that after Olsen revealed the situation, the First Nation was forced to address the outbreak publicly and clarify the situation. “Our membership now feel angst and worry for their social well-being.”

-With files from the Canadian Press


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

CoronavirusFirst NationsSaanich Peninsula

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Canadiens legend Guy Lafleur lends hand to CHUM cancer fundraiser – Cape Breton Post

Published

 on


An optimistic Guy Lafleur made his first public appearance since October when he talked to journalists during a video conference Friday announcing the creation of the Guy Lafleur Fund. It will be part of the Centre hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal (CHUM) foundation’s effort to raise money for cancer research.

Lafleur has had a variety of health problems since September 2019, when a routine physical exam required to renew his helicopter pilot’s licence revealed blocked arteries. He underwent quadruple-bypass surgery, which revealed the presence of lung cancer. One-third of his right lung was removed, but the

cancer reappeared in October.

Lafleur offered some good news, when he said the cancer mass has shrunk by 30 per cent.

“When there is life, there is hope,” he said Friday. “I feel good. I take it one day at a time. I have treatments every three weeks. I am getting tired, I sleep a lot, but the oncologist told me this is normal.”

Lafleur said he has a treadmill at home and tries to get outside for a walk in the some fresh air.

“With the (COVID-19) confinement, there is not much positive,” said Lafleur. “At our age, the pleasure is going to a restaurant with friends, but we are cut off from everything. For me, the confinement started in September 2019 when I had my quadruple-bypass surgery and when my upper lobe of the lung was removed. It’s long, it’s painful, but we’ll get through it.”

The CHUM foundation has set up the Club des 10, which is a play on his Canadiens sweater number and the nine celebrity friends who will join him on Facebook. Fans will have access to the celebrities in exchange for a weekly donation over the next 10 weeks.

A video shown Friday featured Scotty Bowman, Yvan Cournoyer, Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Drouin, Wayne Gretzky, Alexis Lafrenière, cancer survivor Mario Lemieux, Marie-Philip Poulin and Patrick Roy. They each told stories of adversity they had experienced, and sent a message of support to Lafleur. Martin Brodeur and Ray Bourque will also offer their help.

Lafleur said he was encouraged by advancements in cancer treatment.

“My father died of cancer in 1992 and I look at the evolution of treatments from 1992 to today, it’s day and night,” said Lafleur. “My oncologist told me: ‘You can’t cure cancer, but you can treat it, and give you a good quality of life.’ It is not cancer that you catch and die two weeks later. Science is improving day by day. It is really encouraging.

“If we can treat it and I have 10-15 years to live, it’s not a lot but I’m 69 years old and it will take me into my 80s, it’s not so bad,” said Lafleur. “It’s about always keeping hope and understanding the evolution of treatments.”

[email protected]

twitter.com/zababes1


Related

Copyright Postmedia Network Inc., 2021

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending