— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) January 31, 2020
Foto: REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke
SpaceX owner and Tesla CEO Elon Musk arrives on the red carpet for the automobile awards “Das Goldene Lenkrad” (The golden steering wheel) given by a German newspaper in Berlin, Germany, November 12, 2019.
- Elon Musk’s song „Don’t Doubt ur Vibe“ made SoundCloud’s top 10, joining the likes of Roddy Ricch and the late Juice WRLD.
- The song has 2.6 million streams after being released on the platform less than a week ago.
- In light of his new SoundCloud fame, the tech giant changed his Twitter bio to „SoundCloud Rock Star,“ then to emojis of a music note, a cloud, and a crown.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Tech billionaire Elon Musk is celebrating the success of his unusual EDM track after it reached the top 10 on the popular streaming site SoundCloud.
Under the account name Emo G Records, Musk’s „Don’t Doubt ur Vibe“ has been streamed 2.6 million times in less than a week, coming in 8th place worldwide as of late Wednesday.
Ahead of Musk’s song are popular artists like Roddy Ricch and the late Juice WRLD.
In celebration of its success, Musk posted a screenshot of the chart, with a celebratory „8th hottest song on Soundcloud!!“
In a follow-up message he said „Putting that on my LinkedIn for sure.“
You can listen to the song here:
When he released the track on January 31, Musk tweeted that he wrote the lyrics and performed the vocals himself. He also gave his followers a look inside the studio with pictures of him while he worked on it.
The musician Grimes, who is dating Musk, posted a video of him rocking out to a track in the studio on her Instagram story.
Although Musk’s track is a success worldwide, it ranks lower on US views alone, with less than 50% of its total in the past week coming from Americans. In the US-only charts, „Don’t Doubt ur Vibe“ was 28th on Wednesday.
The new track follows a rap song that Musk uploaded last year called „RIP Harambe,“ which has 2.8 million streams.
In light of his new SoundCloud fame, the tech giant changed his Twitter bio to a series of emojis including a music note, a cloud, and a crown. He also briefly changed his Twitter name to „E ‚D‘ M,“ a play on his initials EM and his newfound music genre.
Buffett spends record US$2.2B buying up Berkshire shares – BNNBloomberg.ca
Warren Buffett kicked his stock-buyback program into high gear, spending US$2.2 billion on repurchases in the last three months of 2019, the most ever in a single quarter — and he’s looking to buy even more.
Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc., which loosened its repurchase policy almost two years ago after being stymied on the dealmaking front, has since taken a cautious approach to buybacks, acquiring only US$6.3 billion of stock. In the fourth quarter, Buffett bought shares every month, and has no plans to slow down, if the price is right.
“Shareholders having at least US$20 million in value of A or B shares and an inclination to sell shares to Berkshire may wish to have their broker contact Berkshire’s Mark Millard,” Buffett said in his annual letter to shareholders Saturday. “We request that you phone Mark between 8:00-8:30 a.m. or 3:00-3:30 p.m. Central Time, calling only if you are ready to sell.”
Even as Buffett ramped up his repurchases, Berkshire’s massive pile of cash hovered close to a record, totaling $128 billion at the end of 2019. Buffett, Berkshire’s chairman and chief executive officer, has sought to redeploy those funds into higher-returning deals or stock purchases, but has been stymied by what he’s said are “sky-high” prices for good businesses.
Buffett spent a portion of his annual letter reassuring shareholders about the future of the company once it’s no longer run by the billionaire investor and his business partner, Charlie Munger, who turned 96 this year.
“Berkshire shareholders need not worry: Your company is 100% prepared for our departure,” Buffett said.
At Berkshire’s annual meeting in May, shareholders will be able to submit questions to be answered by lieutenants Ajit Jain or Greg Abel, Berkshire vice chairmen who are considered top contenders to someday replace Buffett. They answered a few investors questions at last year’s meeting.
Berkshire’s operating earnings fell to US$4.42 billion in the fourth quarter, down 23 per cent from a year earlier, driven by underwriting losses at its namesake reinsurance group, which was hurt by typhoons in Japan, wildfires in California and Australia, and widening losses at its business writing retroactive reinsurance contracts.
Berkshire’s Class A shares last year underperformed the S&P 500 Index by the widest margin since 2009. The stock has gained just 1.1% this year.
Also in Berkshire’s 2019 annual report, released alongside Buffett’s letter Saturday:
- Kraft Heinz Co., which counts Berkshire as its largest shareholder, had a tumultuous 2019, with writedowns, management shakeups and downgrades to junk. Buffett’s company carries its Kraft Heinz investment on its balance sheet at US$13.8 billion, a figure unchanged since 2018’s fourth quarter, even as the market price of the stake dropped to US$10.5 billion at the end of last year.
- Berkshire’s BNSF railroad posted a 3.8 per cent gain in profit in the fourth quarter, just shy of record earnings in the previous three months, as a decline in expenses helped counter falling revenue across shipments of products such as coal, consumer items and agricultural goods. BNSF posted a regulatory filing Friday night, on the eve of the release of Buffett’s annual letter, giving investors a sneak peek of results.
No winning ticket for Friday night's $65 million Lotto Max jackpot – CTV News
No winning ticket was sold for the $65 million jackpot in Friday night’s Lotto Max draw.
However, six of the Maxmillion prizes of $1 million each were won.
They will be shared by eight ticket holders.
The jackpot for the next Lotto Max draw on Feb. 25 will now grow to an eye-popping $70 million, and there will be 20 Maxmillion prizes up for grabs.
Superior takes measures to move propane by truck, U.S. trains amid rail blockades – The Globe and Mail
Fears of a looming propane crisis caused by rail blockades have been partly alleviated by U.S. supplies, unseasonably warm weather and selective deliveries, says the head of Superior Propane.
But unless freight-train service resumes in Eastern Canada, rationing and shortages of the home-heating fuel are likely, said Greg McCamus, president of Superior Propane, whose main Ontario depot in Sarnia is supplied by trains and a pipeline.
Superior has brought in trucks from Western Canada and moved propane to Atlantic Canada by train from the United States, Mr. McCamus said. Customers that operate barbecue refilling stations are getting limited deliveries, in order to allow Superior to prioritize residents, hospitals and nursing homes.
“We’ve also been a bit fortunate that the weather in Ontario has been a bit warmer than normal for this time of year. So that’s all helping us to keep the supply moving.”
Mr. McCamus said the measures have helped ensure Superior can maintain a supply that would last about a week to 10 days. Normally, there is about two weeks’ supply. He said it is hard to pin down a date by which the supplies will run out, given the new steps the company has taken, and the variables of weather and demand.
“We hope that if the rail lines start running again, we can move through it without that kind of a crisis happening. But there is no question it’s an issue for the industry. And if we don’t get a resolution, it’s going to get [worse],” he said by phone.
The blockades are in support of the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs, who oppose the Coastal GasLink natural gas pipeline on their traditional territory in northern British Columbia. The $6-billion project by Calgary-based TC Energy Corp. would pipe natural gas from northeastern B.C. to Kitimat on the coast for export.
The protests have raised concerns about shortages of critical supplies of everything from propane to water-treatment chemicals, and put pressure on the federal government to find a solution to limit economic damage.
Canadian National Railway Co., whose line east of Toronto has been blocked for two weeks, has halted freight service on its eastern Canadian network. Passenger rail company Via Rail, which leases track space from CN, has suspended most of its trains.
The blockades have also stopped or slowed rail service at Canada’s four main ports, Vancouver, Prince Rupert, B.C., Montreal and Halifax, forcing ships to idle at anchor or divert to U.S. destinations.
In Halifax and Montreal, off-loaded containers of consumer goods and industrial components are stacked on the docks, with no CN trains to take them away to markets outside the province. “The CN network blockade greatly complicates the logistics of transporting goods or completely blocks the movement of goods for CN users,” said Mélanie Nadeau, a spokeswoman for the Port of Montreal.
An executive with German container ship owner Hapag-Lloyd AG said the company is considering skipping calls at Halifax, but has been less affected at Vancouver and Montreal, where it uses Canadian Pacific Railway trains.
In an open letter to Mr. Trudeau, CP chief executive officer Keith Creel called on the Prime Minister to hold talks with the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs. Mr. Creel said the railway is “severely impacted” by the disputes, including a Thursday protest on a CP line near Chase, B.C., that stopped trains headed to the Port of Vancouver and a 12-day blockade south of Montreal that has cut off U.S. access.
Samsung temporarily shuts down phone factory following coronavirus case – Engadget
How prepared is Canada for a possible Coronavirus outbreak? – OttawaMatters.com
Ice age bird found frozen in Siberia dates back 46,000 years – The Loop
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver reports January housing sales up 42.4 percent
Popular Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours after man collapses outside restaurant – Vancouver Is Awesome
- Sports22 hours ago
NHL Rumours: Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins, Ottawa Senators – Last Word on Hockey
- Media16 hours ago
In the battle of sports media giants, DAZN blinks, lets Bianca out of its cage – The Globe and Mail
- Sports21 hours ago
Einarson, Homan, Jones clinch playoff spots in Tournament of Hearts
- Tech23 hours ago
Galaxy Z Flip review, Android 11 preview
- Tech14 hours ago
Cineplex to open Metro Vancouver’s first Rec Room entertainment centre
- News14 hours ago
Judge rules parts of Canada’s prostitution laws unconstitutional in London, Ont.
- Media22 hours ago
BPG Media and Foundation Media Form Partnership
- Health6 hours ago
SARS lessons help Canada prep for COVID-19, but hospital capacity a worry – Thompson Citizen