Connect with us

Sports

Employee at World Juniors bubble hotel tests positive for COVID-19 – CTV Edmonton

Published

 on


EDMONTON —
An employee at Edmonton’s JW Marriott, home of the World Juniors bubble, has tested positive for COVID-19.

The hotel shared news of the positive test with employees in a letter from its human resources director dated Dec. 17 and later obtained by CTV News. It does not identify the employee or specify in what part of the complex he or she worked.

“We are working closely with the Alberta Health Services and other health authorities and are cooperating fully,” the letter reads. 

“We have provided a safe environment for you to work in and we continue to adhere to all AHS regulations. If you feel uncomfortable coming to work, please speak to your manager.” 

The hotel says staff are following all current public health guidelines.

“We continue to undertake enhanced cleaning protocols and operational steps to enhance safety,” reads a statement from the hotel following a request from CTV News.

“The wellbeing of our guests and associates is always of utmost priority.”

The letter also reminds employees to wash hands regularly, wear a mask, maintain social distance and follow the hotel’s cleaning protocols.

The World Juniors bubble includes the hotel, Rogers Place and the nearby practice rink.

The IIHF says players, coaches and staff are limited to their team’s floor and designated meeting and meal rooms when not on the ice. 

Employees of the hotel are not specified in those bubble restrictions but are tested daily, according to the hotel.

On Dec. 18, the IIHF announced eight German players and two Swedish staff members had tested positive, prompting an extended quarantine for both teams. Six pre-competition games were cancelled with the remaining teams playing one exhibition game instead of the initially scheduled two. 

The IIHF last provided an update on test results on Monday when it announced one German staff member had tested positive. All other tests from across the 10 teams came back negative.

The tournament remains on schedule to open on Christmas Day. 

“We continue to have complete confidence in the operational and risk mitigation plan that was designed by our medical experts and scrutinized by all levels of government,” said the event executive committee in a statement.

Correction:

Backstory:

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Spain's Bautista Agut apologizes for comparing hotel for Aussie Open quarantine to jail – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut has apologized after criticizing the Victoria state government’s quarantine requirements for tennis players ahead of next month’s Australian Open and comparing being locked down in a hotel to being in prison.

Passengers who arrived on three charter flights have been placed into hard quarantine, including more than 70 players who are unable to train outside their rooms for 14 days before the year’s first Grand Slam starts on Feb. 8.

A number of top players, including world number one Novak Djokovic, have questioned the need for mandatory hotel quarantine but Victoria premier Daniel Andrews said it was essential to stop the spread of COVID-19.

“It’s like [being] in a jail,” Israeli television channel Sport 5 quoted world number 13 Bautista Agut as saying.

“It’s the same [as being in prison], but with Wifi. These people have no idea about tennis and about practice courts and it’s a complete disaster.

“The control of everything isn’t Tennis Australia, it’s with the government [and health officials].”

Bautista Agut, who reached the Australian Open quarter-finals in 2019, apologized for the comments in a post on Instagram, saying they had been made in a private conversation that was released to the media without his knowledge or consent.

“Both my coach and I are following protocols designed by the Australian Government and Tennis Australia to avoid any risk and guarantee to compete again in a safe way,” Bautista Agut added. 

“I thank all the people who are making playing tennis again possible.”

Making the best of a situation

Czech Barbora Strycova, a semi-finalist at Wimbledon in 2019, backed the strict health protocols and said she was getting on with it.

“I’m exercising twice a day, reading some books, being on social [media] and watching TV,” she told SEN Breakfast.

“I can’t really complain. I really have to go through it and try to be as positive as I can be.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Jets’ Laine to sit second straight game Tuesday vs. Senators – Sportsnet.ca

Published

 on


The Winnipeg Jets will be without the services of sniper Patrik Laine on Tuesday for the second straight game as they open a three-game series versus the Ottawa Senators, per Sportsnet‘s Ken Wiebe.

Coach Paul Maurice told reporters Laine received treatment for his upper-body injury Tuesday morning, but he won’t be making any changes to his skaters from Monday’s 3-1 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Laine was previously listed as day-to-day.

Laurent Brossoit will get the start in net against the Senators, stepping in for reigning Vezina winner Connor Hellebuyck.

The Jets play at Ottawa on Tuesday and Thursday, before hosting the Senators on Saturday.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Senators’ Tim Stützle day-to-day with minor injury, won’t play vs. Jets – Sportsnet.ca

Published

 on


The Ottawa Senators say rookie forward Tim Stützle is day-to-day with a minor injury and won’t suit up for Tuesday night’s matchup vs. the Winnipeg Jets.

It is unclear how or when he suffered the injury.

The 19-year-old, who was selected third overall in the 2020 NHL Draft, recorded 14:52 minutes in ice time during a 3-2 loss to the Maple Leafs on Saturday, scoring his first NHL goal in highlight-reel fashion.

Through two games, Stützle has one point and four shots on goal.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending