Connect with us

Tech

Epic confirms Fortnite’s new season won’t be on iPhone, iPad, or Mac – The Verge

Published

on


Epic has confirmed it will not be releasing its upcoming Fortnite season, Chapter 2: Season 4, for iOS or macOS, saying the ongoing antitrust feud with Apple over in-app payment processing and other App Store disputes has blocked it from issuing updates and new installs on Apple devices. While this was a suspected development after Fortnite’s removal earlier this month — Epic warned it could happen the day the app was pulled — the season’s launch on Thursday, August 27th had been fast approaching without formal word from Epic on its plans.

“Apple is blocking Fortnite updates and new installs on the App Store, and has said they will terminate our ability to develop Fortnite for Apple devices. As a result, Fortnite’s newly released Chapter 2 – Season 4 update (v14.00), will not release on iOS and macOS on August 27,” reads a new update on Epic’s FAQ dedicated to its standoff with Apple. “If you still want to play Fortnite on Android, you can access the latest version of Fortnite from the Epic Games App for Android on Fortnite.com/Android or the Samsung Galaxy Store.”

One factor Epic had to contend with was whether it could convince the judge presiding over its lawsuit against Apple to issue a temporary restraining order preventing Apple from keeping Fortnite off the App Store and blocking Epic’s updates. Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers ruled late Monday following a hearing earlier that evening, granting Epic the restraining order but only with respect to its Unreal Engine business, which Apple was also targeting with a threat to terminate the associated developer account.

That meant Apple was not required to restore Fortnite to the App Store, and Epic was forced to plan around the fact that it would not be able to issue updates to the iOS or macOS versions of the game. Apple has said Epic can simply revert the update that implemented its own in-app payment processing system to resume distributing and updating Fortnite on iOS and macOS.

But Epic has refused, saying in a new blog post published today titled, “Why We Fight,” that Apple’s proposal is an “invitation for Epic to collude with Apple to maintain their monopoly” and that Epic “as a matter of principle… won’t participate in this scheme.”

You can read the post in full below:

Epic gave Fortnite players on iOS a choice between Apple payment and Epic direct payment, passing on savings to direct purchasers. Apple retaliated by blocking Fortnite updates on iOS devices and threatening to prevent Epic from creating software for all Apple devices – not just on Fortnite but all of our games, and Unreal Engine too.

Apple is asking that Epic revert Fortnite to exclusively use Apple payments. Their proposal is an invitation for Epic to collude with Apple to maintain their monopoly over in-app payments on iOS, suppressing free market competition and inflating prices. As a matter of principle, we won’t participate in this scheme.

You, as a mobile device owner, have the right to install apps from sources of your choosing. Software makers have the right to freely express their ideas and to compete in a fair marketplace. Apple’s policies take these freedoms away.

Apple’s policies are so restrictive that they block gaming services like Microsoft xCloud, NVIDIA GeForce NOW, and Google Stadia from existing on iOS. Apple’s policies would have even blocked the World Wide Web if it had been invented after the iPhone, because Apple policies disallow running code not reviewed by Apple, accepting payments directly from customers, and accessing content not reviewed by Apple – all fundamental features of the web. These policies, together with Apple’s chilling enforcement strategy, directly impede innovation and invention of entirely new kinds of apps, games, and businesses.

Epic is one of the many game developers who has long worked to advance better and fairer platform practices, such as cross-platform gameplay, communication, accounts, and items in Fortnite on seven platforms (though now only six). We are committed to securing lasting freedoms for all. This is why we fight.

You can view the record of our legal dispute in our August 13, August 17, and August 23 filings.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Facebook has announced that Apple has finally agreed to give a brief payment respite for online paid events – Digital Information World

Published

on



Facebook introduced its support for paid online events a while ago, and in true spirits to support the small businesses that were afflicted by the coronavirus pandemic, Facebook had announced that they could pay through Facebook Pay, and receive all the earnings from their events. Of course, the tax money will go to Facebook, but the overall earnings are supposed to go in the pockets of these small businesses. So, Facebook had requested Apple to waive off its 30% cut on in-app purchases on the App Store and give these recovering businesses a benefit, but Apple had dismissed the request at that time.

Now, however, Facebook has made another announcement that tells about the reversal of Apple’s decision. As per Facebook, online event fees will be processed through Facebook Pay and all the money earned through these events will directly go to the small businesses, minus taxes, as it was decided before. But now Apple has also decided that it will not receive its 30% cut until 31st December 2020, but this new rule still does not apply to game creators.

Although Facebook sounds as if it is the victor here, and even their announcement sounded much like a thinly veiled criticism on Apple. Joe Osborne, a Facebook spokesperson said that Apple has agreed to provide a brief respite for three months after which the struggling businesses will have to start paying Apple the full 30% App Store tax.

When the reason for exempting gaming creators from the new rule was asked, Vivek Sharma, the Vice President of Facebook Gaming said that Facebook had to get this much respite and concession, albeit temporary, with great difficulty.

It seems that he meant to say that Apple was not conceding at all to Facebook’s wishes and even this reprieve could be achieved because Facebook had to openly pressurize Apple to do so.

These jibes do not sound so decent. Although Facebook is trying to do something good, it is also going to receive a lot of attention too. After the closure of the Microsoft Mixer streaming service, and its partnering with Facebook Gaming, Facebook needs all the attention towards its streaming service now. Bringing down Apple is something that does not make much sense because Apple is a separate entity that is responsible for its own decisions and company rules.

Facebook went to such an extent to pressurize Apple that they even submitted an iOS app update stating that Apple takes 30% of this purchase in the payments section. Later, as per Facebook, Apple rejected the update because of the irrelevant information it had for the users.

About this whole scenario, Apple also had few words to exchange. It said that the App Store provides great business opportunities to different developers across 175 countries, and Apple has a fixed set of rules to provide a safe platform where these developers and businesses can grow and be successful. Now, Apple is giving a small respite to some businesses, and giving Facebook a chance to get these businesses into compliance with Apple’s rules and get them to agree to pay 30% of the cut to the App Store after the three months are over.

Read next: Facebook is criticizing Apple and arguing that the tech giant should allow its messaging service as a default option on iOS

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Upcoming Android Auto Update to Fix Google Pixel Compatibility Error – autoevolution

Published

on


Google has just confirmed that users coming across an error claiming Android Auto isn’t compatible with the Google Pixel would soon get a fix in a new version of the app.
7 photos
More "#Android Auto" photos (1)More "#Android Auto" photos (2)More "#Android Auto" photos (3)More "#Android Auto" photos (4)More "#Android Auto" photos (5)More "#Android Auto" photos (6)
The issue only affects the Pixel 3a XL, Google says, and it was first reported in late 2019 on the official Android Auto forums.

More specifically, users claimed that updating Android Auto wasn’t possible simply because the app no longer showed up in the Google Play Store, while using the direct link gets them to a message indicating that “this app isn’t compatible with your device anymore.”

Google started looking into what happens in mid-2020, and a member of the Android Auto team recommended users to double-check if the app they’re trying to update was the full version and not the one aimed at running on the phone screen.

If you are using Pixel 3, Pixel 3a and Pixel 4 devices on Android 10 and getting this error message ‘This app isn’t compatible with your device anymore. Contact the developers for more info’, could you please check if the app you are trying to update is Android Auto or Android Auto for phone screens?” a message posted in June 2020 reads.

Pixel 3, Pixel 3a and Pixel 4 devices don’t need Android Auto for phone screens, which enables Android 10 devices to show the Android Auto app icon, as these Pixel devices already have the icon enabled. It’s expected to get the error message if you are trying to update Android Auto for phone screens instead of Android Auto.

This week, however, the search giant confirmed that it managed to fix the whole thing, and a future version of Android Auto would finally bring things back to normal on the Google Pixel 3a XL.

Google is projected to launch a new Android Auto update next week, but at this point, it’s still not known if a fix for this compatibility error is supposed to be included or not.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Video: Hyrule Warriors: Age Of Calamity – Goron Champion Gameplay Footage – Nintendo Life

Published

on


Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity© Nintendo

Yesterday, Koei Tecmo gave Zelda fans a first look at the gameplay in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. Alongside this was the reveal of a younger version of Impa (who originally appeared in Zelda: Breath of the Wild) and a brand new trailer.

While today’s Tokyo Game Show event didn’t show off any new characters, we at least got a better look at the Goron Champion (Daruk) and also got to see the Goron map. Here’s a cut version of the broadcast, courtesy of good folks over at Miketendo64.

As you can see, Daruk comes equipped with his own protective barrier and can roll around the battlefield, just like any other Goron. There’s also some other footage in there of Link and Impa.

In addition to this, we’ve rounded up some screenshots of the footage featured during today’s TGS livestream. Here they are:

What did you think of Daruk in action? What other characters would you like to see in this game? Tell us down below.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending