Connect with us

Health

First human West Nile case reported in T.O. – Toronto Sun

Published

on


Article content

Just because we didn’t have enough to worry about with the global pandemic and upcoming flu season, Toronto Public Health is now reporting the city’s first human case of West Nile virus which is transmitted through the bite of an infected mosquito.

The good news?

Dr. Eileen de Villa, Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health, said in a statement that the likelihood of becoming infected with West Nile “is low in our city.”

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

[embedded content]

However, she is reminding “residents of simple actions they can take when enjoying the outdoors to further minimize the potential risk. These actions include wearing insect repellent and light-coloured clothing, long pants and long-sleeved shirts to prevent getting bitten by an infected mosquito.”

Other precautions being advised:

– During dusk and dawn, which are peak mosquito-biting hours, use repellent and cover up.

– Ensure tight-fitting screens on windows and doors at home.

– Remove standing water, where mosquitoes can breed, in such things as buckets, planters, toys and garbage containers.

Last year, nine human cases of West Nile virus and 10 positive mosquito tests were reported to TPH.

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

[embedded content]

West Nile virus symptoms usually develop between 2-14 days after a person is bitten by an infected mosquito and may include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, body aches, skin rash and swollen lymph glands.

Those with compromised immune systems or older in age are at higher risk of severe illness.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

CBC Windsor September 20 COVID-19 update: 9 new cases and new limits on gatherings – CBC.ca

Published

on


The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit reported nine new cases of COVID-19 in the region this weekend.

Six of the new cases are from people having close contact with confirmed cases, two of the cases were acquired in the community and one case is under investigation. 

There are 86 people with the virus currently in self isolation.

According to the health unit, 76 people have died because of the virus and 2,453 cases are resolved. 

As of Sunday, three senior facilities are considered to be in outbreaks, the most recent being Dolce Vita in Windsor which has had an outbreak since September 10. Four residents and two staff members have tested positive for COVID-19 at the facility.

Rosewood Erie Glen in Leamington had one staff member test positive for the virus. New Begninnings, also in Leamington, has had an outbreak since August 10 where 21 residents have tested positive along with seven staff members.

New gathering limits take hold 

On Saturday, the province of Ontario extended its limits on social gatherings to the entire province which were previously imposed in just the Toronto, Peel region and Ottawa areas. 

The decision comes following “alarming growth in the number of COVID-19 cases in the province.”

“Clearly, the numbers are heading in the wrong direction,” the premier said in a release. “We need everyone to follow the public health rules in order to prevent another province wide lockdown, and protect all our citizens, especially the elderly and the vulnerable.”

The limit on indoor gatherings was reduced from 50 people down to ten people, and only 25 people are allowed to gather outside rather than the previous limit of 100 people.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford extended new social gathering limits to the entire province on Saturday. (Chris Young/The Canadian Press)

The new limits, which were made effective immediately, will apply to functions such as, parties, dinners, gatherings, BBQs or wedding receptions held in private residences, backyards, parks and other recreational areas.

Organizers who hold such events face a minimum $10,000 fine.

The rules do not apply to “events or gatherings held in staffed businesses and facilities, such as bars, restaurants, cinemas, convention centres, banquet halls, gyms, places of worship, recreational sporting or performing art events.”

The limits are set to be in place for the next 28 days. 

Potential public exposures

Over the past few weeks, the health unit has flagged several businesses for potential COVID-19 exposures.

In each case, a customer or staff member has tested positive and the health unit wants anybody who may have come into contact to be alerted, self-monitor for symptoms and seek care if symptoms develop. 

The affected businesses and dates include:

  • The Chelsea at 576 Ouellette Ave. on Sept. 6
  • Spagos at 3850 Dougall Ave. on Sept. 6, Sept. 9, Sept. 10
  • Crunch Fitness LaSalle at 5844 Malden Rd. on Sept. 8.

COVID-19 in Sarnia-Lambton

Lambton Public Health has recorded a total of 344 cases of COVID-19.

Two cases are currently active and 317 are resolved.

Twenty-five people have died.

COVID-19 in Chatham-Kent

Chatham-Kent Public Health reported no new cases on Sunday. There have been a total of 366 positive cases, with three active cases in the community. 

Two of those cases are active and 362 people have recovered.

Two people have died from the virus in the region. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Nova Scotia reports no new coronavirus cases for 13th straight day – Global News

Published

on


Nova Scotia is reporting no new cases of the novel coronavirus for the 13th day in a row.

Sunday also marks the third day with no active cases of the virus in the province.

On Friday the province announced it is easing restrictions by increasing the gathering limit for organized sports and performing arts.

The number of people allowed to participate, including coaches, crew and anyone involved, is now 50.

Read more:
Nova Scotia eases COVID-19 regulations for organized activities

A news release says 858 negative tests were completed on Saturday, bringing the total number of tests completed since the pandemic began to 88,514.

To date, Nova Scotia has reported 1,086 active cases of COVID-19 and considers 1,021 cases resolved.

Story continues below advertisement

There have been 65 deaths as a result of the virus in the province.






1:56
COVID-19 delayed opening of new YMCA in Halifax


COVID-19 delayed opening of new YMCA in Halifax

The province’s health officials urge anyone currently experiencing a fever or cough to visit the 811 website to see if an assessment is needed.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

In addition, if an individual is experiencing two or more of the following symptoms, they are also asked to see if an assessment is needed:

  • Sore throat
  • Runny nose
  • Headache
  • Shortness of breath

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
Here’s what you’ll need to do to enter each province in the Atlantic bubble

The Atlantic travel bubble remains operational.

The bubble permits interprovincial travel between Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador without self-isolation.

However, restrictions will be in place. You can learn what you need to do ahead of time for each province here.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

No reported cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia – HalifaxToday.ca

Published

on


NEWS RELEASE
COVID-19/HEALTH/WELLNESS
*************************

As of today, Sept. 20, Nova Scotia has no active cases of COVID-19. No new cases were identified Saturday, Sept. 19.

Nova Scotia Health Authority’s labs completed 858 Nova Scotia tests on Sept. 19.

To date, Nova Scotia has 87,428 negative test results, 1,086 positive COVID-19 cases and 65 deaths. No one is currently in hospital. Cases range in age from under 10 to over 90. One thousand and twenty-one cases are now resolved. Cases have been identified in all parts of the province. Cumulative cases by zone may change as data is updated in Panorama.

Visit https://811.novascotia.ca to determine if you should call 811 for further assessment if in the past 48 hours you have had, or you are currently experiencing:
— fever (i.e. chills/sweats) or cough (new or worsening)
Or:
Two or more of the following symptoms (new or worsening):
— sore throat
— runny nose/ nasal congestion
— headache
— shortness of breath

When a new case of COVID-19 is confirmed, public health works to identify and test people who may have come in close contact with that person. Those individuals who have been confirmed are being directed to self-isolate at home, away from the public, for 14 days.

Anyone who has travelled outside of Atlantic Canada must self-isolate for 14 days. As always, any Nova Scotian who develops symptoms of acute respiratory illness should limit their contact with others until they feel better.

It remains important for Nova Scotians to strictly adhere to the public health order and directives – practise good hand washing and other hygiene steps, maintain a physical distance when and where required. Wearing a non-medical mask is mandatory in most indoor public places.

As of July 3, interprovincial travel within Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador, without the requirement to self-isolate for permanent Atlantic Canadian residents, is permitted. All public health directives of each province must be followed. Under Nova Scotia’s Health Protection Act order, visitors from other Canadian provinces and territories must self-isolate for 14 days. Other visitors from outside the Atlantic provinces who have self-isolated for 14 days in another Atlantic province may travel to Nova Scotia without self-isolating again.

Nova Scotians can find accurate, up-to-date information, handwashing posters and fact sheets at https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus .

Businesses and other organizations can find information to help them safely reopen at https://novascotia.ca/reopening-nova-scotia .

Quick Facts:
— testing numbers are updated daily at https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus
— a state of emergency was declared under the Emergency Management Act on March 22 and extended to Oct. 4

Additional Resources:
Government of Canada: https://canada.ca/coronavirus

Government of Canada information line 1-833-784-4397 (toll-free)

The Mental Health Provincial Crisis Line is available 24/7 to anyone experiencing a mental health or addictions crisis, or someone concerned about them, by calling 1-888-429-8167 (toll-free)

Kids Help Phone is available 24/7 by calling 1-800-668-6868 (toll-free)

For help or information about domestic violence 24/7, call 1-855-225-0220 (toll-free)

*************************

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending