Connect with us

Health

Flu vaccine supplies low to non-existent

Published

 on

“I have been giving shots since 2013. This is the first time we’ve seen this kind of demand,” said Azad.

She had tried to order more doses every day since Wednesday, and has only received a small additional quantity. As of Monday, orders were not going through.

“We’ve been working with what we received. We’ll just try ordering every day.”

Azad believes more vaccine will be available, it’s just a matter of when.

“It’s a waiting game. We just have to be patient.”

During question period on Monday, Health Minister Christine Elliott said more than a million flu shots have been administered so far, compared to 150,000 at this time last year.

Speaking to reporters, Premier Doug Ford said the province had ordered a million more doses of vaccine this year than last year and is “doing everything we can to make sure as many people get vaccinated as possible.”

But he also put the blame for the cancelled appointments on Rexall.

“You knew the allocations that you had,” he said. “So don’t overbook people. It’s very simple.”

Ontario has already spent $70 million on flu vaccine and has allocated $26.5 million for additional vaccine through the national bulk procurement programs if they become available from manufacturers.

The province continues to receive regular shipments of its total order, in addition to continuing to explore all options to procure additional flu vaccine doses, said a spokesman for the Ministry of Health.

Last week, Elliott spoke to federal Heath Minister Patty Hadju “to request that the federal government work with manufacturers to deliver the remainder of the province’s doses purchased through its national bulk purchasing program at an accelerated rate, as well as explore the provision of additional doses beyond what was procured.”

The province is also in conversations with private sector partners about additional opportunities to procure supply.

Influenza cases on the national and Ontario surveillance systems are low for this time of year compared to previous years, he said.

“This is evidence that the historic uptake of the flu vaccine, in addition to the safe hygiene practices being practised diligently by all Ontarians, is working and will continue to work as we move through the fall and winter season.”

Source:- Ottawa Citizen

Source link

Continue Reading

Health

'Could be an Achilles heel': Why COVID-19 vaccines requiring two doses worry some experts – National Post

Published

 on


Article content continued

Their announcement followed on the heels of news from two rivals in the global coronavirus vaccine race — Pfizer and Moderna — that their products appeared to be 95 per cent effective in phase-three trials.

The promising results are better than expected. But all require two doses, with a gap of 21 days for Pfizer’s product and 28 days for the other two.

It has to be done

In fact, of the seven vaccines in late-stage trials that the federal government has pre-ordered, only one, developed by Johnson & Johnson, needs just a single injection. It has yet to report any phase 3 results.

Adherence to multi-dose vaccinations is relatively good for young children, who typically have regular medical appointments and are guided by their parents, noted Wilson.

The research around adult vaccination is more sparse but the findings have a consistent theme, the word “suboptimal” appearing in many of the papers.

A 2009 U.S. study, for instance, found that only 40-50 per cent of people completed two-dose hepatitis A and varicella (chicken pox) vaccinations, the numbers falling even lower for teenagers and young adults.

A U.K. study published last year found that a mere 11 per cent of adults got the required two doses of Hepatitis A vaccine within one year, the number rising to just 23 per cent by 36 months. A similar U.S. study in 2018 suggested only 32 per cent of adults had obtained their second Hepatitis A injection within 42 months.

People have told researchers they didn’t know an additional shot was needed, couldn’t fit it into their schedule or needed a reminder, said Houle, who helped conduct a similar study using Alberta data..

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Fire at Burnaby Hospital a factor in COVID-19 outbreak affecting 55 patients – Global News

Published

 on


Fraser Health says the COVID-19 outbreak at Burnaby Hospital has grown to 55 patients and has contributed to five deaths.

Forty staff members have tested positive for the novel coronavirus and health officials are working to determine if they are connected to the outbreak.

The hospital is not accepting new admissions, Fraser Health said, with the exception of the intensive care unit, maternity unit, and community palliative care.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Fraser Health declared an outbreak at the hospital on Nov. 9 after finding evidence of transmission in a medicine unit.

A fire at the hospital on Nov. 16 appears to have contributed to the outbreak, the health authority said, as patients had to be moved into different areas of the hospital during the blaze for their safety.

Story continues below advertisement

RCMP continue to investigate the cause of the fire.






1:24
Burnaby hospital emergency room temporarily closed after fire


Burnaby hospital emergency room temporarily closed after fire – Nov 16, 2020

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Golden Links Lodge addresses concerns over group activities held prior to COVID outbreak – CTV News Winnipeg

Published

 on


WINNIPEG —
The COVID-19 outbreak at Golden Links Lodge in Winnipeg continues to grow, and now the care home is responding to questions about recreational activities that had been taking place inside the facility prior to the outbreak.

According to the latest numbers from the care home, there have been 53 cases among residents and 20 cases among care home staff.

The province said three people have died, leaving family members concerned about their loved ones.

On Nov. 15 Jordan Hanna found out his grandma tested positive for the disease.

“It’s a flood of fear,” said Hanna.

There have been more than 70 cases linked to Golden Links Lodge since an outbreak was declared on Nov. 11.

Photos posted on the Golden Links Facebook page on Nov. 6 show residents gathered inside the care home for a worship service. Three days later it showed them taking part in an exercise class. Activities Hanna feels are important but are too risky given the way the virus spreads.

“The seniors here are anywhere from 60 to 100 and they’re already stuck in one place for so long,” said Hanna. “It’s hard to deny them that entertainment or excitement or connection. So I think it has its place but definitely not right now.”

Provincial guidelines only say people in personal care homes who are isolating should not participate in group activities.

In an email to CTV News the care home’s CEO Marcy-Lynn Larner said there is no evidence any recreation activities have contributed to the outbreak.

Larner said contact tracing indicates the initial transmission is staff-related.

“Every attempt has always been made to ensure the well-being of our residents is always our priority while balancing meaningful stimulation and activity to our residents’ lives,” Larner said.

Like other long term care centres, the not-for-profit care home has been dealing with staffing shortages due to infections among workers.

Four City of Winnipeg paramedics and a district chief of operations responded to Golden Links last Thursday night as part of the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority’s rapid response team. Full assessments were conducted on seven residents — one was taken to hospital.

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service returned Friday, completed more assessments, and vowed to continue providing support when needed.

Emergency crews cleared the scene Friday night and have not been required to return, a WFPS spokesperson said Tuesday.

Hanna said it’s clear more help is needed and wants the military called in.

“So they can one, care for people — make sure that they’re attended to and also do what they did in Ontario and Quebec and start reviewing the best practices, how they’re handling things and provide a report,” said Hanna.

Last week Golden Links put out a call to families to help out with their loved ones at the care home.

Larner said a few families have been attending, while others enlisted support through an agency that provides companionship.

According to Larner, four residents are on what the care home describes as social leaves with their families.

Larner said staff have been working around the clock to care for residents who remain at Golden Links and promised to keep families updated. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending