Connect with us

Health

Canada adds more than 2200 new cases of COVID-19

Published

 on

The number of COVID-19 cases in Canada grew by 2,215 on Saturday, and officials announced an additional 25 people had succumbed to the illness.

The new figures released on Saturday bring the cumulative case total to 196,114, though more than 165,000 people across the country have recovered from the coronavirus.

In total, 9,746 deaths have been associated with COVID-19 in Canada.

The numbers released Saturday do not include updates from British Columbia, Alberta, P.E.I. or the territories.

Though some provinces have been much harder hit than others, the number of new cases overall has been surging since late August. Daily case counts are now higher than they were in the spring.

Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer, said that as of Friday, about 2,310 cases were reported daily across Canada over the last week.

She called on Canadians to adhere to public health guidance and keep their number of contacts as low as possible — and especially avoid crowded or closed settings.

“Keeping apart is difficult, but it is what will make us stronger, more resilient and better able to sustain public health efforts through the fall and winter,” she said in a statement Saturday.

Quebec reported 1,279 new COVID-19 cases today along with 15 more deaths linked to the novel coronavirus. One death previously attributed to the virus was found to have been due to other causes.

Health officials say the total number of infections in the province stands at 92,297, and 6,032 people have died.

In Ontario, another 805 cases were announced, bringing the cumulative total to 63,713. More than half of the new cases were diagnosed in Toronto and surrounding area. The province also announced that 10 more people have died due to COVID-19.

Manitoba public health officials identified 85 new cases of COVID-19, most of which occurred in the Winnipeg health region. In total, 3,256 cases have been diagnosed in the province.

In response to a sharp rise in cases, Winnipeg is facing stricter restrictions for at least two weeks starting Monday.

The active case count in Saskatchewan reached a record high of 326 on Saturday, when the province reported 36 new cases. Saskatchewan’s total case count stands at 2,306.

The number of active COVID-19 cases in New Brunswick hit 100 on Saturday, with the addition of eight newly diagnosed infections.

Nova Scotia announced two new cases, bringing its active case total to five, while Newfoundland and Labrador did not report any new diagnoses Saturday.

Around the world, 39.5 million people have been diagnosed with COVID-19, and 1.1. million deaths associated with the virus have been recorded, according to a tally from Johns Hopkins University.

With files from Amber McGuckin, Mickey Djuric and The Canadian Press

 

 

Source: – q107.com

Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19: No plans to ease hot zone restrictions, Ford says; Canada has record one-day total of cases – The Sudbury Star

Published

 on


What you need to know, at a glance

  • Premier Doug Ford says there are no plans to ease ‘hot zone’ restrictions, despite economic disruptions
  • ‘We won’t even have an economy if this continues to spread’
  • Ontario reported 826 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, including 88 in Ottawa
  • The new numbers push Ontario’s total number of infections to 68,353
  • There were nine new deaths, bringing the total to 3,080
  • There are 276 people in hospital with 78 of those in ICU care and 47 on ventilators
  • Ottawa Public Health reported 88 new cases and five new deaths over the previous 24 hours
  • One new outbreak was declared among health care and congregate living facilities, while two more outbreaks were declared in child care and schools
  • Five new cases have been confirmed in sports related outbreaks, for a total of 30
  • A resident of the city-run Centre d’accueil Champlain long-term care home has died in hospital of COVID-19
  • A second staff member at the Garry J. Armstrong long-term care home has tested positive for COVID-19.
  • Eastern Ontario’s medical officer of health expected to announce more restrictions on gyms, bars and restaurants
  • Quebec reported 905 infections, bringing the total number of confirmed cases since to 98,226 since the pandemic began.
  • Twelve new deaths were reported – four over the past 24 hours, six between Oct. 16 and 21, and another two on unknown dates
  • The Outaouais region reported 25 new cases and one new death since the last report.
  • Canada recorded a record 2,788 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, the largest increase in infections since the pandemic began
  • “We have to get these numbers down,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said
  • The federal government spending $214 million towards the development of COVID-19 vaccines
  • But PM warns that he doesn’t anticipate a vaccine will be ready this year or in early 2021
  • Nationally, the number of COVID-19 infections topped 209,000 with more than 23,000 active cases
  • The virus has killed 9,862 Canadians.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford and Health Minister Christine Elliott say they have no plans to ease restrictions in the province’s four COVID-19 hot zones of Ottawa, Toronto, Peel and York even as some business owners push back against the economic disruption the measures have caused.

“We won’t even have an economy if this continues to spread and gets up over 1,000 cases (a day),” Ford said Friday at a media briefing in Prince Edward County.

Ford added that he will meet with the province’s medical officer of health, Dr. David Williams, and his health team over the weekend to decide if Halton region, west of Toronto, will also be added to the hot zone list.

“I’ll have that answer on Monday,” the premier said. “It’s concerning right now. We’re seeing the numbers go up again.”

Ontario reported 826 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, including 292 in Toronto, 186 in Peel, and 72 in York.

“We’ve been advised by Dr. Williams and his team that these are measures we have to take to stop the spread of COVID-19,” Elliott said.

“The evidence says that if we take these steps now it prevents us from going into a longer period of lockdown with more economic shutdown. While we recognize that this is very difficult for many business owners, this is the advice we’ve received from the public health professionals.”

Friday marks two weeks since the Ontario imposed the modified Stage 2 restrictions in Ottawa, Toronto and Peel and the halfway point in the order’s initial 28-day duration.

The latest numbers represent a slight decline for the province, which reported 841 new cases on Thursday.

Ontario has now had 68,353 confirmed cases since the pandemic was declared. Some 3,080 people have died in the province from COVID-19.

There are 276 people in hospital with 78 of those in intensive care and 47 on ventilators.

The province completed more than 40,000 tests on Thursday, Elliott said. Another 733 cases have now been resolved.

Seventy-seven long-term care homes are battling novel coronavirus outbreaks in Ontario, down three from the day before.

Local

Ottawa Public Health reported 88 new cases and five new death over the previous 24 hours.

It was the highest daily death count since May.

There have been 6,384 total cases, with 676 active. The death toll is at 314.

One new outbreak was declared among health care and congregate living facilities, for a total of 50 outbreaks. Two new outbreaks were reported in child care and schools for a total of 19.

Five new cases have been reported in sports-related outbreaks, for a total of 30.

The city announced Thursday that a resident of the city-run Centre d’accueil Champlain long-term care home has died in hospital of COVID-19. The resident was admitted to hospital on Oct. 13, Donna Gray, general manager of Community and Social Services announced in a memo to members of council.

Gray also informed councillors that a second staff member at the Garry J. Armstrong long-term care home has tested positive for COVID-19.

A group of restaurateurs and other Ottawa business people are planning to protest the provincial ‘hot zone’ restrictions on Saturday with a march from Ottawa city hall to Parliament hill. Unlike most protests, organizers are trying to limit their numbers by capping the number of people who can attend from each business.

“We are not anti-maskers or those looking to counter public health measures, but the contrary,” they say.

Meanwhile, Eastern Ontario’s medical officer of health was expected to announce Friday more restrictions under a local Class Section 22 order. The restrictions, which are milder than the modified Stage 2 restrictions in place in neighbouring Ottawa, won’t come into effect until next week, said Dr. Paul Roumeliotis of the Eastern Ontario Health Unit.

The restrictions limit restaurants to a maximum capacity of 100 with no more than six people per table. Gyms can have no more than 50 people inside at a time and fitness classes are limited to 10 people. Banquet halls and other meeting or event facilities would be capped at 50 people.

The EOHU measures are similar to those enacted by Ottawa Public Health on Sept. 22, two weeks before the province imposed the stricter, more easily enforced restrictions of the modified Stage 2 order. EOHU covers Cornwall, Prescott Russell and the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry.

Roumeliotis was to hold a briefing of his own late Friday afternoon.

Quebec

The number of new cases dipped below 1,000 today, with hospitalizations and ICU admissions dropping.

Quebec reported 905 infections, bringing the total number of confirmed cases since to 98,226 since the pandemic began.

Twelve new deaths were reported – four over the past 24 hours, six between Oct. 16 and 21, and another two on unknown dates.

Among those in hospital, 99 are in intensive care, a drop of two.

The Outaouais region reported 25 new cases and one new death since the last report.

National

Canada recorded a record 2,788 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, the largest increase in infections since the pandemic began.

“We have to get these numbers down. This is serious and everyone must do their part,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said. “Your loved ones with pre-existing conditions, your parents your grandparents, they’re counting on you.

“People’s lives are at stake. We can’t afford to be careless or expect that this virus will just go away on its own.”

Nationally, the number of COVID-19 infections topped 209,000 with more than 23,000 active cases, according to figures released Thursday night. Quebec and Ontario account for two-thirds of all active cases. The virus has killed 9,862 Canadians.

The prime minister said that the government is spending $214 million towards the development of COVID-19 vaccines, signing deals with Quebec firm Medicago and British Columbia’s Precision NanoSystems.

Trudeau says the Medicago contract includes the rights to buy 76 million doses of its vaccine, should it meet health and safety standards, as well as funding for a production facility in Quebec City.

Two more American vaccine makers, Moderna and Pfizer, have asked Health Canada to review their products as they undergo clinical trials.

However, Trudeau warns that he doesn’t anticipate a vaccine will be ready to inoculate Canadians against the COVID-19 virus this year or in early 2021.

The prime minister says Canada has also acquired “hundreds of thousands” of rapid test kits from medical company Abbott to be distributed across the provinces and territories.

Two more vaccine makers have asked Health Canada to study their product before it has completed clinical trials.

Related

-With files from Postmedia and The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Actual number of COVID-19 infections in Spain may have exceeded 3 million: prime minister

Published

 on

The actual number of people infected with COVID-19 in Spain may have exceeded three million, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said at a press conference in Madrid on Friday.

Sanchez warned at the press conference that the current situation of the COVID-19 pandemic in Spain is very serious, and that the most difficult months are coming.

Although the official data of the Health Ministry this week showed that the cumulative number of confirmed COVID-19 cases exceeded one million, the actual number of infections in Spain may have exceeded three million, Sanchez said, citing serological test data.

Spanish Health Ministry on Friday reported 8,293 new cases of the deadly virus in the previous 24 hours, taking the total number of infections in the country to 1,046,132.

The death toll reached 34,752 as 655 new deaths had been reported in the past seven days as of Friday, according to the Health Ministry.

Continue Reading

Health

B.C. sees 223 new COVID-19 cases, now 2,009 active – Revelstoke Review

Published

 on


B.C.’s run of days with more than 200 new COVID-19 cases continued Friday, with 223 new cases that brought the number of active infections to 2,009.

Hospitalizations in B.C. remained low, with 75 people in hospital, 24 in intensive care. There were no additional deaths associated with the novel coronavirus for Oct. 23.

Friday’s total is down from Thursday, Oct. 22, with the new positive test record of 274. That came from 10,398 total tests, twice the number of daily test results as a few weeks ago, a growth that has contributed to the higher total of positive tests reported each day.

The number of daily cases jumped to more than 200 this week as the final days of the B.C. election campaign wound down. Henry said the increase in infections is largely generated by wedding and funeral gatherings in the Fraser Health region, as well as some workplace exposures. The first official school outbreak involved three positive tests at a Kelowna school, but most of the latest cases are traced to community exposures such as parties and gatherings.

There have been two outbreaks in senior care facilities, Laurel Place in Surrey and Fair Haven Homes Burnaby Lodge. Four others have been declared over, leaving 16 long-term care or assisted living facilities and two acute-care wards with active outbreak protocols in place.

“In recent days, we have seen a number of new outbreaks of COVID-19 in the community and in long-term care facilities,” provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said in a statement. “Contact-tracing teams throughout our province are working around the clock to stop further spread, but it requires all of us to do our part to be successful in these efforts.”

RELATED: EU imposes travel restrictions on Canada as cases rise

RELATED: Three cases in B.C.’s first official outbreak at a school


@tomfletcherbc
tfletcher@blackpress.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

BC legislatureCoronavirus

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending