Connect with us

Sports

Former Blue Jays pitcher sues Astros, says sign-stealing cut his career short – CTV News

Published

on


One bad game against the Houston Astros in 2017 cost relief pitcher Mike Bolsinger his career.

Bolsinger, who pitched for the Toronto Blue Jays, is now suing the Astros claiming their sign-stealing scheme is the reason his career was cut short after an August 2017 game in which he gave up four runs against the Astros.

Earlier this year, it was found that the Astros illegally created a system that decoded and communicated the opposing teams’ pitching signs during their 2017 championship season.

The lawsuit filed Monday says Bolsinger is seeking two forms of damages. The first is consequential and general damages Bolsinger says he suffered and continues to suffer as a result of the Astros “interfering with and harming his career,” the lawsuit says.

The second form of damages includes restitution in the form of the Astros returning their post-season bonuses from winning the 2017 World Series. The bonuses are about $31 million and Bolsinger wants the money to go to “charitable causes focused on bettering the lives of children” in Los Angeles and a fund for elderly, retired professional baseball players in need of financial assistance.

 

Bolsinger gave up four runs against the Astros

 

Bolsinger was the starting pitcher at the University of Arkansas for three years prior to being drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2010.

He was then a starting pitcher in the minor leagues for four years, the lawsuit said.

After being called up from the minors to the major leagues various times and playing for the Los Angeles Dodgers, Bolsinger was traded to the Toronto Blue Jays, where he became a relief pitcher.

Bolsinger was called in during the Blue Jays game against the Astros on August 4, 2017, after prior pitchers on his team gave up several runs, the lawsuit states. He gave up four runs while pitching and “was immediately terminated and cut from the team never to return to Major League Baseball again.”

The Blue Jays ultimately lost to the Astros 16-7.

“For a journeyman pitcher in the MLB like Plaintiff, a disastrous inning, such as was what took place in Houston on August 4th, could and did prove to be the death knell to Plaintiff’s career in the MLB,” the lawsuit said.

“Due to the inning against the Houston Astros, Plaintiff Bolsinger was no longer seen as a successful relief pitcher that could be trusted in this role and was not picked up by the Blue Jays for the following year.”

Bolsinger went on to play baseball in Japan, the lawsuit states, where he was considered one of the top pitchers in 2018.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Dykstra's libel suit dismissed: Reputation 'so tarnished that it cannot be further injured' – theScore

Published

on


Lenny Dykstra’s defamation and libel lawsuit against former New York Mets teammate Ron Darling was dismissed Friday by New York Supreme Court Judge Robert D. Kalish, according to ESPN.

Dykstra’s “reputation for unsportsmanlike conduct and bigotry is already so tarnished that it cannot be further injured,” the ruling stated.

The lawsuit stemmed from Darling’s 2019 memoir, “108 Stitches: Loose Threads, Ripping Yarns, and the Darndest Characters from My Time in the Game.” In the book, Darling wrote that Dykstra directed racist taunts toward Boston Red Sox pitcher Dennis “Oil Can” Boyd during the 1986 World Series.

Darling petitioned to have the lawsuit dismissed by citing Dykstra’s past legal problems as well as comments made in Dykstra’s autobiography, “House of Nails: A Memoir of Life on the Edge.” Judge Kalish cited these documents as a contributing factor to the dismissal.

“Based on the papers submitted on this motion, prior to the publication of the book, Dykstra was infamous for being, among other things, racist, misogynist, and anti-gay, as well as a sexual predator, a drug abuser, a thief, and an embezzler. Further, Dykstra had a reputation – largely due to his autobiography – of being willing to do anything to benefit himself and his team, including using steroids and blackmailing umpires,” Kalish wrote.

The 57-year-old Dykstra played 12 major-league seasons between the Mets and Philadelphia Phillies. He’s made headlines in his post-playing career for various legal issues, including a 2018 arrest for drug possession and uttering terroristic threats. He served six-and-a-half months in prison after pleading guilty to bankruptcy fraud, concealment of assets, and money laundering in 2012.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Dana White: Jon Jones Has Made Enough Money from Fighting to Retire – Sherdog.com

Published

on


Sign up for ESPN+ right here, and you can then stream the UFC live on
your smart TV, computer, phone, tablet or streaming device via the
ESPN app.

If Jon Jones
wants to relinquish the light heavyweight title and walk away from
the sport, that’s his decision, according to Dana White.

The UFC president issued a brief statement to the
Canadian Press
on Monday after Jones tweeted that he planned on
vacating the 205-pound belt. Jones’ threat was the latest salvo in
a
public dispute
regarding negotiations for a potential
superfight with heavyweight Francis
Ngannou
.

Jon
Jones
is one of the greatest to ever do it,” White said. “The
decision he wants to make regarding his career is up to him. The
reality is that he’s made enough money from fighting that he’s now
in the position to retire and never work again in his life.”

White’s statement bears some resemblance to
remarks he made
about Conor
McGregor
after the Irish star earned in the neighborhood of
$100 million to box Floyd
Mayweather
in August 2017.

Money appears to be at the root of the issues between Jones and
White. The UFC boss claimed that “Bones” demanded a Deontay
Wilder
payday — around $25 to $30 million — to fight Ngannou.
Jones responded that he never provided a specific number, only that
he wanted a new deal for the added risk of moving up in weight.
Things have only escalated since then, as Jones wasn’t pleased with
White’s remarks at the UFC on ESPN 9 post-fight press conference
Saturday.

Jones’ attention has been elsewhere more recently. He took to the
streets to
stop vandalism
in Albuquerque, New Mexico, early Monday morning
during the George Floyd protests in the city and then assisted
local businesses
with clean-up and repairs during the day.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Report: Players agree to MLB's radical realignment proposal – theScore

Published

on


Major League Baseball’s owners and players are locked in combative negotiations, but it appears they’re on the same page regarding temporary realignment.

As part of its counteroffer to the league, the players’ union agreed to MLB’s proposal to abandon the traditional American and National Leagues this year in favor of a regionalized three-division format, sources told Michael Silverman of The Boston Globe.

Under the plan, the AL East and NL East would merge into one 10-team division, with each league’s Central and West divisions doing the same, Silverman reports. Clubs would only play against their nine divisional opponents during the regular season in order to cut down on travel.

EastCentralWest
YankeesIndiansAthletics
OriolesRoyalsMariners
RaysTwinsAngels
Red SoxWhite SoxAstros
Blue JaysTigersRangers
BravesBrewersDodgers
NationalsRedsGiants
MarlinsCardinalsRockies
MetsCubsD-Backs
PhilliesPiratesPadres

All games would be played in each team’s regular home ballpark without fans in attendance. It’s unclear what the Toronto Blue Jays would do if Canada’s COVID-19 border restrictions are still intact when the season starts.

It’s also unclear what a playoff format in the realigned league could look like.

The length of the 2020 season remains in question as MLB and the union continue to negotiate. The players’ latest proposal called for prorated salaries over a 114-game season starting June 30 and ending Oct. 31 while including room for doubleheaders, Silverman reports. Owners, who had initially proposed an 82-game campaign, reportedly plan to counter with a shorter schedule of around 50 games along with prorated salaries.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending