Connect with us

Media

Gladu says media treatment of her campaign is 'not fair' – iPolitics.ca

Published

 on


Conservative leadership candidate Marilyn Gladu says the media is giving unfair attention to prominent male Conservatives who haven’t announced their intentions to run to be the party’s leader instead of to her campaign.

The race for the Conservative Party leadership kicked off earlier this month in the wake of leader Andrew Scheer’s resignation. Gladu, the only female to confirm her candidacy so far, said much news coverage briefly references her candidacy while allocating more time or space to potential male candidates who haven’t announced a bid for leadership. 

“I think that there’s been more attention paid to those that have not yet announced, and they get lots of press,” she said. “I think that it’s not fair and it doesn’t necessarily look good on the media because they should be promoting women in politics.”

Gladu’s comments come about two weeks after many leadership hopefuls began mobilizing their campaigns. Speculation over whether well-known politicians like former Conservative Party interim leader Rona Ambrose, former Quebec premier Jean Charest, and Conservative finance critic Pierre Poilievre will enter the race have dominated media headlines in recent weeks.

But Gladu said her candidacy often receives the “cursory one statement” from media outlets.

For instance, this CBC News article that said Gladu has the “steepest hill to climb ” in the race while allotting full graphs to four male politicians, including potential candidates, Poilievre, Charest, and former cabinet minister Erin O’Toole, who hadn’t announced bids for the leadership. Both Poilievre and Charest have since announced they will not be entering the race. O’Toole, meanwhile, has yet to formally announce his candidacy, but has assembled a campaign team.

An engineer of 32 years, Gladu said she’s experienced treatment like this before. While she said she doesn’t know the reason for the media’s treatment of her campaign, she acknowledged that she’s less well-known than candidates like Peter MacKay, who was a Conservative MP from 1997 to 2015 and served as a senior minister in Stephen Harper’s government for almost a decade.

Gladu has been an MP since 2015, serving as the Tories’ health critic since 2017. She also worked as the science critic, and as the chair for the House Status of Women Committee. Gladu was also a youth leader for over 30 years, prior to her career in federal politics, as well as being an engineer. She began her career at Dow Chemical, where she worked for 21 years before becoming the director of engineering at Suncor followed by a consultant role at WorleyParsons.

Recent polls have shown that the only female contestant has the most ground to make up in the race.

A Jan. 16-17 poll conducted by Mainstreet Research for iPolitics found that Peter MacKay would perform the best out of Conservative leadership candidates.

The poll asked 1,470 Canadian adults who they would vote for if a federal election were held today, with four different scenarios of who is Conservative leader: Andrew Scheer, Pierre Poilievre, Marilyn Gladu and Peter MacKay.

MacKay came in first place polling at 31.7 per cent of the vote, followed by Scheer at 30 per cent, Poilievre at 26.9 per cent, and Gladu in fourth place with 24.1 per cent of the vote.

The survey did not ask respondents which party they would back if Erin O’Toole was Conservative leader. 

READ MORE: Peter MacKay would do best out of three Tory leadership hopefuls in federal vote: Mainstreet poll

While she knowingly calls herself the race’s “dark horse,” Gladu believes that her personality will resonate with Canadians. 

“To know me is to love me and Canadians are going to get to know me over this campaign,” she said.

The Sarnia—Lambton MP also says a female leader would help the party attract new voters, something she said is necessary if the party hopes to win future elections.  She also said she’s able to build relationships with young people, another key factor to winning election as the younger voting demographic becomes larger.

Along with Gladu and MacKay, the leadership race includes Richard Decarie, a social conservative from Quebec; Alberta-based businessman Rick Peterson; and rookie MP Derek Sloan.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Media

Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck pictured kissing as ‘Bennifer’ returns

Published

 on

Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck have been pictured exchanging passionate kisses, apparently confirming weeks of fevered rumors that they have rekindled a romance that dominated celebrity media almost 20 years ago.

Paparazzi photos printed in the New York Post on Monday showed the two actors kissing while enjoying a meal with members of Lopez’s family at Malibu’s posh Nobu sushi restaurant west of Los Angeles on Sunday.

Representatives for Lopez, 51, declined to comment on Monday, while Affleck’s publicists did not return a request for comment.

Lopez and “Argo” director Affleck, dubbed “Bennifer,” became the most talked about couple in the celebrity world in the early 2000s in a romance marked by his-and-her luxury cars and a large 6.1-carat pink diamond engagement ring. They abruptly called off their wedding in 2003 and split up a few months later.

The pair have been pictured together several times in Los Angels and Miami in recent weeks, after Lopez and her former baseball player fiance Alex Rodriguez called off their engagement in mid-April after four years together. Monday’s photos were the first in which Lopez and Affleck were seen kissing this time around.

Celebrity outlet E! News quoted an unidentified source last week as saying Lopez was planning to move from Miami to Los Angeles to spend more time with Affleck, 48, and was looking for schools for her 13-year-old twins Max and Emme.

Max and Emme, along with the singer’s sister Lydia, were also photographed walking into the restaurant in Malibu on Sunday.

Lopez married Latin singer Marc Anthony, her third husband, just five months after her 2004 split with Affleck. Affleck went on to marry, and later was divorced from, actress Jennifer Garner.

 

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; editing by Jonathan Oatis)

Continue Reading

Media

TikTok debuts new voice after Canadian actor sues

Published

 on

TikTok

After noticing a new female voice narrating the videos on the popular video-sharing social networking service, users of TikTok were baffled as to why. It actually turns out that the Canadian actress behind the old voice filed a lawsuit against the platform for copyright violation as her voice was apparently being used without her permission.

Bev Standing, a voice actor based in Ontario, is taking China-based ByteDance to court. TikTok’s parent company has since replaced her voice with a new one, with Standing reportedly finding out over email after a tip-off from a journalist. On the matter, Standing said: “They replaced me with another voice. I am so overwhelmed by this whole thing. I’m stumbling for words because I just don’t know what to say.”

TikTok is said to be considering a settlement for Standing outside of the courts, but nobody knows whether or not this is true. According to legal experts, the fact TikTok now has a new voice on the popular social media app suggests they acknowledge Standing’s case and potentially understand that she may have suffered as a result of the company’s actions.

Thanks to the emergence of the powerful smartphone devices of today, alongside taking high-quality images for Instagram, getting lost down YouTube wormholes, and accessing popular slots like Purple Hot, people are turning to relatively new platforms like TikTok. The service has 689 million monthly active users worldwide and is one of the most downloaded apps in Apple’s iOS App Store. This latest news could harm the platforms future, although many of its younger users potentially aren’t aware that this type of scenario is unfolding.

For Bev Standing, the ordeal is a testing one. She wasn’t informed of the voice change, there is no mention of it in TikTok’s newsroom online, and the development is news to her lawyer also.

 

This all comes after her case was filed in a New York State court in early May after the voice actor noticed a computer-generated version of her voice had been seen and listened to around the world since 2020. Speculation is rife as to how TikTok managed to obtain the recordings but Standing believes the company acquired them from a project she took part in for the Chinese government in 2018.

(Image via https://twitter.com/VoiceOverXtra)

The Institute of Acoustics in China reportedly promised her that all of the material she would be recording would be used solely for translation, but they eventually fell into the hands of TikTok and have since been altered and then exposed to a global audience.

According to Pina D’Agostino, an associate professor with Osgoode Hall Law School at York University and an expert in copyright law, the fact that the hugely popular social media platform has now changed Standing’s voice could result in a positive outcome for the distraught voice actor. She said: “It’s a positive step in the way that they are mitigating their damages. And when you’re mitigating, you’re acknowledging that we did something wrong, and you’re trying to make things better.”

When assessing social media etiquette and how both companies and users should act, this type of news can only do more harm than good. Not only does it make the company look bad, but it could have an effect on revenues and, ultimately, TikTok’s reputation.

With a clear desire to move on and put this whole process behind her, Bev Standing is eager for the case to be resolved and get back to the daily work she loves and has been doing for a large part of her life. TikTok has until July 7 to respond to her claim.

 

Continue Reading

Media

Nigeria orders broadcasters not to use Twitter to gather information

Published

 on

Nigerian television and radio stations should not use Twitter to gather information and have to de-activate their accounts, the broadcast authority said following the move to suspend the U.S. social media giant in Africa’s most populous country.

Nigeria’s government on Friday said it had suspended Twitter’s activities, two days after the platform removed a tweet by President Muhammadu Buhari that threatened to punish secessionists. Nigerian telecoms firms have since blocked access to Twitter.

International diplomats responded with a joint statement in support of “free expression and access to information as a pillar of democracy in Nigeria”.

Buhari, who was Nigeria’s military ruler in the 1980s, has previously been accused of cracking down on freedom of expression, though his government has denied such accusations.

Twitter has called its suspension “deeply concerning” and said it would work to restore access for all those in Nigeria who rely on the platform to communicate and connect with the world.

The National Broadcasting Commission, in a statement dated June 6, told broadcasters to “suspend the patronage of Twitter immediately”.

“Broadcasting stations are hereby advised to de-install Twitter handles and desist from using Twitter as a source of information gathering,” it said in the statement, adding that “strict compliance is enjoined”.

The statement comes two days after the attorney general ordered the prosecution of those who break the rules on the ban.

The foreign minister on Monday held a closed door meeting in the capital, Abuja, with diplomats from the United States, Britain, Canada, the European Union and Ireland to discuss the ban.

It followed the statement by their diplomatic missions on Saturday in which they criticised the move.

“These measures inhibit access to information and commerce at precisely the moment when Nigeria needs to foster inclusive dialogue…. as well as share vital information in this time of the COVID-19 pandemic,” they said in their statement.

Nigeria’s information minister on Friday said the ban would be “indefinite” but, in a statement late on Sunday, referred to it as a “temporary suspension”.

The minister did not immediately respond to phone calls and text messages on Monday seeking comment on the altered language.

 

(Reporting by Camillus Eboh and Abraham Achirga in Abuja; Writing by Alexis Akwagyiram; Editing by Alex Richardson)

Continue Reading

Trending