Connect with us

Health

Global COVID-19 cases tops 22.8 mln, death toll exceeding 795,000

Published

on

The number of COVID-19 cases worldwide had reached 22.81 million and death toll exceeded 795,000 as of 14:09 Central European Summer Time (CEST) on Saturday, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

Globally, a total of 22,814,491 confirmed cases of COVID-19 had been reported to the WHO with the death toll of 795,132.

According to the WHO, there were 275,499 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 globally in 24 hours, and 5,926 new deaths. The WHO said the Americas are still the hardest-hit region by the novel coronavirus, with a daily increase of 135,756 confirmed cases and 4,684 deaths, bringing the two figures to 12,164,684 and 434,731, respectively.

The total number of COVID-19 cases in the United States surpassed 5.66 million on Saturday, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University. The national case count rose to 5,665,483, with the death toll in the country reaching 176,332 as of 20:27 Eastern Standard Time, according to the CSSE.

A total of 4,921 new COVID-19 confirmed cases were reported in Russia within 24 hours, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 951,897. Another 121 new deaths were also reported, bringing the total death toll to 16,310.

The number of new confirmed cases was 3,602 in France on Saturday, a slight drop after the country reported more than 4,000 daily new cases for consecutive two days. Nine new deaths have been reported.

Other European countries also continued to see an increase in new confirmed cases. Germany reported 2,034 new confirmed cases in 24 hours, the highest number of new cases in a single day since April 25, the German CDC said Saturday. The UK Department of Health reported 1,288 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, with more than 1,000 new cases and 18 new deaths on a single day.

Italy reported 1,071 new confirmed cases on Saturday, the first time the country has seen more than 1,000 new confirmed cases in a single day since it significantly relaxed epidemic control measures in mid-May. Three new deaths were also reported.

The epidemic situation in Poland continued to worsen since the beginning of August as the country reported 900 new cases on Saturday, the second highest number of new cases in a single day, following 903 new confirmed cases reported on Friday.

In order to curb the epidemic, the Polish government has planned to extend the ban on international passenger flights to September 8 and expand the ban list to 63 countries and regions.

The confirmed COVID-19 cases in Japan increased by 984 to reach 62,046 as of Saturday night, according to the latest figures from the country’s Health Ministry and local authorities.

The figure excluded the 712 cases from the Diamond Princess cruise ship that was quarantined in Yokohama near Tokyo.

South Korea reported 332 more COVID-19 cases as of 00:00 on Saturday local time than the case figure 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 17,002.

The daily caseload soared in triple digits for nine straight days, topping 300 for two days in a row. It was the highest in more than five months since March 8.

Argentina’s Ministry of Health announced Saturday that the country had 7,759 new confirmed COVID-19 cases within 24 hours, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 336,802. A total of 118 new deaths were also reported the same day, bringing the total number of deaths to 6,848.

 

Source:cctvplus

Continue Reading

Health

23 of 29 new COVID-19 cases announced in Manitoba on Sunday are in Winnipeg – CBC.ca

Published

on


Health officials are again calling on people in Winnipeg to follow public health directions, as 23 of Manitoba’s 29 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday are people in the capital city.

Many of the cases of the illness among a worrisome recent increase in Winnipeg have large numbers of close contacts, the province says in a news release.

Of Manitoba’s 354 active COVID-19 cases, 275 — more than three-quarters — are now in Winnipeg, according to provincial data.

Another three of Sunday’s new cases are in the Prairie Mountain Health region, while two are in the Interlake-Eastern health region and one is in the Southern health region, the release says.

One case of the illness caused by the novel coronavirus previously reported on Sept. 19 has been removed from the totals, the release says, though it does not specify why.

Twenty of Sunday’s new cases are people under age 30, provincial data shows.

Half of those are people in their 20s, while the other half are people younger than 20.

Most of Sunday’s new cases are people under age 30, including 10 under age 20. (Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

There have now been 1,586 cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba.

There are now 11 people hospitalized with COVID-19 in Manitoba, including three in intensive care.

Most of Manitoba’s new COVID-19 cases on Sunday are in the Winnipeg health region, while the rest are split up between five other areas of the province. (Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

Manitoba’s five-day test positivity rate, a rolling average of the COVID-19 tests that come back positive, is up slightly to 1.9 per cent, the release says.

To date, 1,216 people in Manitoba have recovered from COVID-19 and 16 have died.

Possible exposures

People who were on the bus to John Pritchard School on Sept. 14 and 15 may have been exposed to the illness, the release says. The exposures happened on Winnipeg Transit school route S412 from around 8:15 a.m. at the Headmaster/Mildred stop to 8:40 a.m. at the school, and from 3 p.m. at the school to 3:25 p.m. back at the Headmaster/Mildred stop, the release says

Café La Scala on Corydon Avenue is temporarily closed, the release says, as public health officials investigate COVID-19 exposures that happened there on Sept. 11 from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. and Sept. 12 from 10 p.m. to 2:30 a.m.

XXI Lounge on Pembina Highway was also closed temporarily for investigations into exposures to the illness, though it has since reopened. Those exposures happened on Sept. 11, 12 and 13 from 10 p.m. to 2:30 a.m., the release says.

On Saturday, officials warned of possible exposures to the illness at a Winnipeg daycare, high school and restaurant.

A person with COVID-19 was at the Munroe Early Childhood Education Centre in Elmwood on Monday morning and afternoon, the province said. Seven staff and 21 kids are in isolation after being named as close contacts.

The centre has closed off areas used by the sick person and will not use them again until they’re disinfected, Sunday’s news release says. The rest of the building is still open for unaffected kids and staff.

Most of Sunday’s new COVID-19 cases in Winnipeg are in the city’s River East area, while the rest are spread out among nine other districts. (Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

Another person with the illness was at Gordon Bell High School in central Winnipeg on Thursday morning and afternoon, the province said, though no close contacts were named in that investigation and the risk of further transmission is deemed low.

Meanwhile, Local Public Eatery downtown was closed on Saturday, pending the results of investigations into COVID-19 exposures that happened there on Sept. 11 and 12, the release says, though the restaurant has since reopened.

Three new cases of the illness were announced on Fisher River Cree Nation this weekend, in addition to the first case in the Interlake community announced last week.

Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister is watching for COVID-19 symptoms after meeting earlier this week with Quebec Premier François Legault, who is self-isolating after coming into contact with a confirmed case of the illness, a spokesperson for Pallister said on Saturday. 

Legault tested negative on Saturday evening but is still self-isolating in accordance with public health guidelines.

On Saturday, 1,216 more COVID-19 tests were done in Manitoba, bringing the total number of tests completed in the province to 164,177.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Quebec COVID-19 numbers continue to surge with 462 new cases reported – CTV News Montreal

Published

on


MONTREAL —
As three regions in the province prepare to have their alert level potentially raised from yellow to orange, Quebec public health authorities announced Sunday that 462 more people have tested positive for COVID-19 in the province.

It is the second day in a row where the number of new cases has been over 400 after 427 people were reported to have tested positive Saturday.

The new cases brings the total number of cases in the province to 67,542.

The Island of Montreal accounted for 160 of the positive tests (31,309 total), while the Quebec City region reported 92 more cases (2,969 total), Monteregie reported 58 more cases (9,938 total) and Laval reported 32 more cases (6,668 total).

In the past 24 hours, one more person died due to the disease in addition to four people who died between Sept. 13-18. 

Officials reported two people died in the Chaudiere-Appalaches region, and one person died in Quebec City, Laval and Monteregie.

The total number of people who have died due to COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic is now 5,802.

The number of hospitalizations increased by seven Sunday to 138, and 31 of those patients are in the intensive care ward (the same number as on Saturday).

On Sept. 18, health-care professionals analyzed 28,725 samples which is 354 fewer than the number analyzed Sept. 17. (Quebec releases its testing data from two days prior to its daily updates).

 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Nova Scotia's streak of no new COVID-19 cases reaches Day 13; zero active cases remain – CTV News Atlantic

Published

on


HALIFAX —
Nova Scotia’s number of active COVID-19 cases remains at zero; meanwhile, the province hasn’t announced a new case for 13 consecutive days.

On Sunday, the province reported that no new cases were identified on Saturday – a day which saw Nova Scotia Health Authority’s labs complete 858 Nova Scotia tests.

CASE BREAKDOWN

To date, Nova Scotia has 87,428 negative test results, 1,086 positive COVID-19 cases and 65 deaths. No one is currently in hospital – 1,021 cases are now resolved.

Cases range in age from under 10 to over 90. Sixty-one per cent of cases are female and 39 per cent are male.

There are cases confirmed across the province, but most have been identified in the central zone, which contains the Halifax Regional Municipality.

The provincial government says cumulative cases by zone may change as data is updated in Panorama, the province’s electronic information system.

The numbers reflect where a person lives, and not where their sample was collected.

  •     Western zone: 55 cases
  •     Central zone: 910 cases
  •     Northern zone: 67 cases
  •     Eastern zone: 54 cases

 

STATE OF EMERGENCY REMAINS IN PLACE

On Friday, the province announced the provincial state of emergency, which was first declared on March 22, has been extended to October 4, unless the government terminates or extends it.

 

UPDATED LIST OF SYMPTOMS

The province recently reduced the number of COVID-19 symptoms for which health officials are screening.

The provincial government said the updated list of symptoms reflects the current epidemiology in Nova Scotia.

Anyone who experiences a new or worsening fever or cough, or two or more of the following new or worsening symptoms is encouraged to take an online test to determine if they should call 811 for further assessment:

  •     sore throat
  •     headache
  •     shortness of breath
  •     runny nose

 

SELF-ISOLATION

Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 is required to self-isolate at home, away from the public, for 14 days.

Anyone who travels to Nova Scotia from outside the Atlantic region is required to self-isolate for 14 days and must fill out a self-declaration form before coming to the province.

However, the province has eased some self-isolation requirements for out-of-province rotational workers.

Residents of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador are not required to self-isolate when travelling to Nova Scotia, but they must be prepared to provide proof of their place of residency at provincial borders.

Visitors from outside the Atlantic region who have already self-isolated in another Atlantic province for 14 days may travel to Nova Scotia without having to self-isolate again.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending