Connect with us

Health

Grey Gables staff member tests positive for COVID-19; follow-up tests completed to confirm result – Owen Sound Sun Times

Published

on


Grey Gables long-term care home.
Rob Gowan/file photo


Rob Gowan / Rob Gowan/Sun Times

A staff member at Grey Gables in Markdale has tested positive for COVID-19, but public health is awaiting the results of follow-up tests before declaring an outbreak at the county-owned long-term care facility.

“This is mainly based on the asymptomatic testing and the less than optimal reliability of the test when it’s applied in asymptomatic people,” Grey-Bruce medical officer of health Dr. Ian Arra said in an interview Sunday.

The positive test result was received by public health Sunday, following universal testing at the long-term care facility. The sample from the first result will be retested and the staff member has also received a second and third test.

The results of those tests are expected Monday or Tuesday, Arra said, and an outbreak declaration will be made if the positive result is confirmed.

The staff member is in self-isolation at their home. The long-term care facility has been notified of the positive test result, as have all residents and staff.

“We’re taking this positive test result seriously. Physical distancing strategies and intense infection control protocols are already in place to prevent transmissions in the home,” Jennifer Cornell, Grey County’s director of long-term care, said in a statement.

“We appreciate public health’s guidance as we face this challenge and wait for the results of the second round of testing. We’re thankful all other tests of our Grey Gables residents and staff have been negative.”

All outbreak protocols, case management and contact-tracing activities are in place to ensure safety while public health awaits confirmation of the first test.

Ninety-five staff members at Grey Gables were tested for the novel coronavirus as part of the Ontario government-mandated universal testing of all residents and staff at long-term care homes. Ninety-four of those tests came back negative.

Sixty-eight residents were also tested, with 67 results coming back negative and one reported as invalid. That test is being redone.

Two people, including the Grey Gables staff member, tested positive for COVID-19 Sunday, according to the local health unit’s daily situation report, bringing the total number of cases so far in Grey-Bruce to 93. Seventy-seven of those cases have recovered.

Meanwhile, public health has announced that the COVID-19 outbreak at the Golden Dawn Senior Citizen Home in Lion’s Head has been officially declared over.

Arra made the announcement Saturday evening, saying there has been no further transmission past the first and only positive case at the long-term care facility.

“Congratulations to the Golden Dawn staff and the Grey Bruce Health Unit on the optimal case management and outbreak management that ensured full control of the outbreak. Full mark from me; job well done!” he said in an email to local media.

The outbreak at Golden Dawn was declared May 9 after an asymptomatic resident tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The case was detected after public health swabbed 44 residents and 60 staff at the facility, as part of the Ontario government-mandated universal testing of all residents and staff at long-term care homes in the province. The testing was completed May 5.

Two additional swabs were done and both came back negative, bringing the facility out of its outbreak status, according to a notice posted on the Golden Dawn website.

Only one long-term care/retirement home in Grey-Bruce remains under outbreak – Parkview Manor in Chesley. That outbreak was declared May 3 after universal swabbing at the facility was completed April 30. It was declared after one asymptomatic resident tested positive. A second test of the resident came back negative, public health said May 13.

No one is currently hospitalized in the region with a confirmed case of the novel coronavirus.

The Grey Bruce Health Unit has announced that it is expanding eligibility for COVID-19 testing. Testing is available for anyone exhibiting any new or worsening respiratory symptoms, regardless of the risk factors that were previously part of the testing criteria. Symptoms for COVID-19 are similar to the flu and other common respiratory infections and can range from mild to more severe.

These symptoms include, but are not limited to, fever, cough, difficulty breathing, muscle aches, headaches, difficulty swallowing, and lack of smell or taste.

These non-specific symptoms may also indicate other illnesses, and individuals who are experiencing new and worsening symptoms should be assessed for COVID-19 testing.

Members of the general public can go to any of the three assesment centres in Grey-Bruce to get a COVID-19 test. They are located at the hospitals in Owen Sound, Kincardine, and Hanover.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

344 new coronavirus cases, 41 deaths in Ontario as total cases rise to 27210

Published

on

Ontario reported 344 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Friday, bringing the provincial total to 27,210.

The death toll has risen to 2,230, as 41 more deaths were reported.

Meanwhile, 20,983 people have recovered from COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, which is 77 per cent of cases.

Ontario has completed 680,687 tests so far for the virus. This is up 18,525 tests from the previous day, which is the highest number of tests completed in a 24-hour period in almost three weeks.

The province has previously said it has a testing capacity of over 20,000 daily tests. Ontario is set to reveal a new coronavirus testing strategy Friday to gauge phased reopening.

Friday’s report marks an increase of 1.3 per cent in total cumulative cases. That figure has mostly hovered between 1.1 and 1.8 over the past week.

Ontario has 826 patients (down by seven) hospitalized due to COVID-19, with 129 patients in an intensive care unit (down by eight) and 100 patients in ICUs on a ventilator (up by six).

According to the Ministry of Long-Term Care, there have been 1,625 deaths reported among residents and patients in long-term care homes across Ontario, which is an increase of 34 deaths, and there are 123 current outbreaks. Six health-care workers in long-term care homes have died.

Ontario officials have said there may be a discrepancy between overall deaths and deaths at long-term care homes due to how the province’s health database system, called iPHIS, is tracking data and how the Ministry of Long-Term Care is tracking data.

The ministry also indicated there are currently 1,476 confirmed cases among long-term care residents and 1,113 cases among staff.

Health-care workers in Ontario account for 4,634 of the total reported cases, which is 17 per cent of the infected population.

Greater Toronto Area public health units account for 65 per cent of all cases in the province.

Here is a breakdown of Ontario cases by gender and age:

  • 11,818 people are male (43.4 per cent).
  • 15,162 people are female (55.7 per cent).
  • 948 people are 19 and under (3.5 per cent).
  • 6,992 people are 20 to 39 (25.7 per cent).
  • 8,310 people are 40 to 59 (30.5 per cent).
  • 5,551 people are 60 to 79 (20.4 per cent).
  • 5,394 people are 80 and over (19.8 per cent).
  • 230 cases did not specify male or female and 15 cases had an unknown age.

There are 13,351 people currently under investigation awaiting test results.

The newly reported numbers are valid as of 2 p.m. Thursday for Toronto and Ottawa public health units, and 4 p.m. for the rest of the province.

Source: – cjoy.com

Source link

Edited By Harry Miller

Continue Reading

Health

Chinese vaccine for COVID-19 could be ready by year-end

Published

on

An engineer looks at monkey kidney cells as he makes a test on an experimental vaccine for COVID-19 inside the Cells Culture Room laboratory at the Sinovac Biotech facilities in Beijing, April 29, 2020.

Nicolas Asfouri / AFP via Getty Images

A vaccine could be ready for the market as early as the end of this year or early 2021, according to the May 29 post on Chinese social media platform WeChat.

HONG KONG — A Chinese-made coronavirus vaccinebiological products be ready for market as early as the end of this year, China’s State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission (SASAC) said in a social media post.

In trials, more than 2,000 people have received vaccines developed by the Wuhan Institute of Biological Products and the Beijing Institute of Biological Products. A vaccine could be ready for the market as early as the end of this year or early 2021, according to the May 29 post on Chinese social media platform WeChat.

Vaccines from the Wuhan Institute of Biological Products and the Beijing Institute of Biological Products had entered Phase II clinical trials. Both groups are affiliated with state-owned pharmaceutical group Sinopharm, whose management is overseen by SASAC.

The Beijing Institute of Biological Products’ production line will have an annual manufacturing capacity of 100 million to 120 million doses, according to the article.

China has five coronavirus vaccines in human trials. Neither company could be reached for comment on Saturday evening.

Source:The Province

Source link

Edited BY Harry Miller

Continue Reading

Health

Chinese vaccine for COVID-19 could be ready by year-end, government body says – Toronto Sun

Published

on


HONG KONG — A Chinese-made coronavirus vaccine could be ready for market as early as the end of this year, China’s State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission (SASAC) said in a social media post.

In trials, more than 2,000 people have received vaccines developed by the Wuhan Institute of Biological Products and the Beijing Institute of Biological Products. A vaccine could be ready for the market as early as the end of this year or early 2021, according to the May 29 post on Chinese social media platform WeChat.

Vaccines from the Wuhan Institute of Biological Products and the Beijing Institute of Biological Products had entered Phase II clinical trials. Both groups are affiliated with state-owned pharmaceutical group Sinopharm, whose management is overseen by SASAC.

The Beijing Institute of Biological Products’ production line will have an annual manufacturing capacity of 100 million to 120 million doses, according to the article.

China has five coronavirus vaccines in human trials. Neither company could be reached for comment on Saturday evening.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending