Connect with us

News

Judge orders more Trump lawyer testimony in Mar-a-Lago probe

Published

 on

Judge orders more Trump lawyer testimony

Federal prosecutors investigating the potential mishandling of classified documents at former President Donald Trump‘s Florida estate will be able to again question a Trump lawyer before a grand jury, a judge ruled Friday in a sealed order.

The order will require M. Evan Corcoran to answer additional questions as prosecutors pursue their investigation into classified documents found at Mar-a-Lago as well as potential efforts to obstruct that probe. The order was described by a person familiar with it, who was not authorized to discuss a sealed proceeding and spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity.

The precise scope of the order, which is expected to be appealed, was not immediately clear. Neither Corcoran nor his lawyer returned messages seeking comment, and a spokesman for special counsel Jack Smith, who is leading the investigation, also did not respond to an email about the order.

A Trump spokesman said the Trump team would “fight the Department of Justice on this front and all others that jeopardize fundamental American rights and values.”

Corcoran had already appeared weeks ago before the federal grand jury in Washington investigating the Mar-a-Lago matter, but he had invoked attorney-client privilege in declining to answer certain questions. That privilege protects lawyers from being forced to share with prosecutors details of the conversations they have with clients.

Prosecutors can get around that privilege if they can convince a judge that the communications they seek answers about involved furtherance of a crime — a principle known as the crime-fraud exception. The Justice Department invoked that exception in this case, arguing to Beryl Howell, the outgoing chief judge of the federal court in Washington, D.C., that more testimony was needed.

Howell issued her order granting at least some additional testimony before the end of her tenure Friday as chief judge. She is being replaced as chief judge by James “Jeb” Boasberg, a fellow Obama appointee who has served on the federal bench since 2011.

Corcoran is regarded as relevant to the investigation in part because last year he drafted a statement to the Justice Department asserting that a “diligent search” for classified documents had been conducted at Mar-a-Lago in response to a subpoena. Months later, though, FBI agents searched the home with a warrant and found roughly 100 additional documents with classified markings.

The Justice Department is investigating whether Trump or anyone in his orbit obstructed its efforts to recover all the classified documents, which included top-secret material, from his home.

As chief judge, Boasberg will have oversight of federal grand juries, including ones handling Trump matters, in the courthouse and will preside over sealed disputes like the Corcoran one.

Separately, former Vice President Mike Pence has said he will challenge a grand jury subpoena that seeks to compel him to testify in the special counsel’s Jan 6. investigation. Pence has argued that because he was serving in his role as president of the Senate on Jan. 6, as he presided over a joint session of Congress to certify the election results, he is protected from being forced to address his actions under the Constitution’s “speech-or-debate” clause that shields members of Congress.

It is not clear how that disagreement will end.

News

Ugochukwu scores in 82nd, Chelsea salvages 2-2 tie with Wrexham in friendly at Levi’s Stadium.

Published

 on

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — Lesley Ugochukwu scored in the 82nd minute to help Chelsea salvage a 2-2 tie with Wrexham in a friendly match Wednesday night at Levi’s Stadium.

Ugochukwu rolled a shot from the middle of the box through traffic into the right corner.

Wrexham took a 2-1 lead when Jack Marriot scored on a counterattack in the 72nd minute.

Luke Bolton also scored for Wrexham, the Welsh team co-owned by actor Ryan Reynolds that was promoted this year to the third tier of English soccer.

“It’s important that we show the Wrexham spirit we’ve been known for the last few years,” Wrexham manager Phil Parkinson said.

“We had to dig deep at times and tonight we did that again. Whether it’s preseason or not you want to see that kind of spirit we’ve kind of built a reputation. We’re representing a working-class town and a fantastic area and we’ve got to reflect that with our performances.”

Christopher Nkunku scored first for Chelsea in the perennial Premier League power’s first preseason match and its first under manager, Enzo Maresca, the former Leicester City manager.

“I’m very happy about the performance in general because in this moment, if we think that we started just two weeks ago, it’s important that as a staff and in general people can start to see the identity of the team and I think tonight it was quite good,” Maresca said.

Nkunku fired a shot from the middle of the box into the left corner of the net past goalie Arthur Okonkwo in the 35th minute off an assist from Marc Guiu after a corner kick.

Wrexham tied it in the 58th minute when Bolton scored from the right wing off an assist from Sebastian Revan, who connected with Bolton on a crossing pass.

Chelsea goalkeeper Robert Sanchez blocked a breakaway shot from James McLean in the 29th minute.

Chelsea beat Wrexham 5-0 in a friendly last season.

___ AP soccer:

The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Clayton Kershaw excited to be returning to Dodgers’ rotation at a pivotal time

Published

 on

 

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Clayton Kershaw’s return to the rotation was once expected to be an added bonus as the Los Angeles Dodgers geared up for a postseason run.

It turns out, the longtime ace is coming back at a pivotal time.

When Kershaw takes the mound Thursday afternoon against the rival San Francisco Giants, manager Dave Roberts and Dodgers executives are hoping the three-time NL Cy Young Award winner can bring stability to a rotation beset by injuries most of the season.

“I’m excited to get back,” Kershaw said before the Dodgers faced the Giants on Wednesday night. ”It’s been a long time. Longest time I’ve ever spent not pitching in a big league game. Obviously, once you get back out there you’ve just got to perform.”

Kershaw’s return from offseason shoulder surgery ended up being on schedule. The left-hander said at the start of spring training that he thought July or August would be when he could come back.

He made three minor league rehab starts, but was shut down for a week after his first appearance on June 19 because of lingering soreness. Kershaw went four innings and threw 67 pitches (49 strikes) in his last rehab outing Friday for Triple-A Oklahoma City, allowing three runs and six hits with two strikeouts and no walks.

Roberts said the same guardrails would be in place as when Kershaw returned last season after missing 35 games due to soreness in his left shoulder.

He went five innings in his first two starts last August. He threw 67 pitches in the first outing and 71 on five days’ rest in the second.

“I think watching as far as stressful innings. If a pitch count kicks up in an inning or back-to-back high pitch counts. Not even overall total pitches,” Roberts said. “The most important part is getting him built up and ready for October.

“It has been a long process for him, and we’ve got coverage, so whatever happens, we’ll be prepared for that.”

The 36-year-old Kershaw has been adamant that he expects to return to his old form soon. Despite pitching with shoulder pain all last season, he went 13-5 with a 2.46 ERA in 131 2/3 innings over 24 starts.

“The road back, being able to get back, a lot of people spent a lot of time trying to help me,” Kershaw said Wednesday. “It means a lot to a lot of different people. That’s pretty humbling. Overall, definitely excited to get back.”

Who else will be with Kershaw in the rotation remains a work in progress.

Tyler Glasnow came off the injured list and started Wednesday night after missing two weeks due to back tightness. Glasnow and Gavin Stone are tied for the team lead in starts with 18.

James Paxton, who also started 18 games, was designated for assignment on Monday.

The Dodgers are still missing Walker Buehler (right hip inflammation) and Yoshinobu Yamamoto (right rotator cuff).

Buehler threw a bullpen Tuesday, with a minor league rehab stint likely on deck. Yamamoto is on a throwing program but has yet to begin working off a mound. He isn’t expected back until possibly late August.

Los Angeles has stayed atop the NL West thanks to the contribution of rookies. The Dodgers are 27-18 when a rookie starter is on the mound.

Rookie pitchers have started 45 games for the Dodgers this season and are 17-8 with a 3.00 ERA. Stone leads the team in wins with nine, while Landon Knack, Justin Wrobleski and River Ryan are expected to get more starts over the next month.

Even with 13 pitchers starting a game this season, the Dodgers’ rotation has the fifth-lowest ERA in the NL (3.91) and is holding opponents to a .234 batting average, second-best in the league.

While Kershaw didn’t know what to expect after having surgery for the first time in his baseball career, he is happy to be preparing for a start.

“There were a couple speed bumps that were part of the process. I’m thankful I went through it and now on the back side,” he said.

ROSTER MOVES

In addition to activating Glasnow, the Dodgers signed 34-year-old shortstop Nick Ahmed — a Gold Glove winner with Arizona in 2018 and 2019. Los Angeles infielder Miguel Rojas was placed on the 10-day injured list with right forearm tightness, retroactive to July 22. Knack was optioned to Triple-A and right-hander Ricky Vanasco was designated for assignment.

___

AP MLB:

The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Source link

Continue Reading

News

Women’s Rights: How to Achieve What Women Want

Published

 on

A strategy placing women out front and personal with those who deny their full rights and expectations.

1. The first stage will go something like this folks. Women will unite together with a universal message that is clear and understandable even for men.

Equality is a Human Right– A Sexual Right – A Socio-Political Necessity

Through public marches, protests and mass gatherings women will voice their displeasure on how they have been treated in the past, the present and how they fear for themselves and generations to come. Fear that the future has little to offer the girl of the next generation. Mass education schemes will be devised and presented to all people in all nations, rich or poor, white or non-white, to all genders alike.

2. The second stage will be initiated if men and their female allies do not respond to the above propaganda messages demanding equal rights, equal pay for similar jobs performed, and full educational opportunities no matter the nation, race or creed.

A Full Strike will be had in which all women will withhold their sexuality and affection from their partners, mostly men. The length of this strike and its nature in reality will depend upon the women’s culture and political circumstances. Full denial may be expressed in such a way that men will be denied the following…

No intimacy, no sexual contact with a woman
Usual housework will be curtailed and fall upon men.
The care of children will fall to their male parents and guardians

The LGBTQ Community will be asked to fully support this strike as partners in the struggle for Human and Women’s Rights advocates.

3. Should this strike be met with partner or legislative aggression a third stage will be initiated. Should men not respond favourably to the above-mentioned stages of Women’s struggle to be free of male dominance and control financially, economically, culturally, socially and politically this third extreme stage will be initiated.

All Women will take Religious Orders, pledging themselves to their deity through the vows of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience. This action will threaten the very future of humanity. Through the vow of chastity, all women will be faithful to their deity by not having sex. The future of the human Race will be threatened by this action.

Could men be so ignorant and self-centred as to not realize that by their historic actions, women have been oppressed, sexually and financially used, denied of their constitutionally promised rights and established as second-class citizens in most nations globally?

Women must take up the mantel offered to them by Gandhi, Dr. King, Jesus and many other men who recognized the importance of womanhood. Women globally have only one ability, one tool of change available to them…to deny men. As men are denied the rights they have to women, women can deny themselves to these same men.

Martin Luther King Jr once said, “A right delayed is a right denied”. Women have delayed their taking action against the historic, cultural manly oppression they have experienced since time immemorial. The world exists in division, poverty and extreme financial distress. Women can offer the motherly comfort and care a world like our needs. Men have messed up our historic pathway towards peace and unity. Give women a chance.

Steven Kaszab
Bradford, Ontario
skaszab@yahoo.ca

Continue Reading

Trending