Connect with us

News

Meta’s removal of Canadian news impacting Indigenous media and communities

Published

 on

The owner of an independent digital news outlet serving Indigenous communities in Atlantic Canada says she’s scrambling after Meta’s decision to remove Canadian news from its platforms.

Maureen Googoo, owner and editor of Ku’ku’kwes News, from Sipenkne’katik, 31 kilometers north of Halifax, says her work is important, because Indigenous communities are looking for someone to provide context and explain what issues of the day mean to them.

She told CBC Indigenous her site depends on the traffic from social media sharing and Meta’s pushback, related to the recently introduced Canadian Online News Act, is detrimental to her work.

“To me that’s more bread and butter than anything and I am concerned down the road of what it’s going to mean for us for a revenue stream,” Googoo said.

“Every month it’s always a balance for us. Are we making enough money to pay the bills?”

The act, known as Bill C-18 as it worked its way through Parliament, received royal assent on June 22.

The government’s stated rationale for the legislation was it would ensure digital platforms curating Canadian news shared revenues with news providers.

Meta promised to push back and earlier this month, some Canadian users of Facebook and Instagram were blocked from viewing or sharing media content.

“We have been transparent and have made it clear to the Canadian government that the legislation misrepresents the value news outlets receive when choosing to use our platforms,” a statement from Meta posted online said.

“The legislation is based on the incorrect premise that Meta benefits unfairly from news content shared on our platforms, when the reverse is true.”

Googoo said Facebook became a place where Indigenous communities held important conversations and she feels she helped play a role in contextualizing some of those conversations. Now, she’s forced to get that audience to come to her website in other ways.

Elsewhere, another Indigenous organization feels unfairly targeted by Meta’s sweeping ban.

An Indigenous man peers into the camera, wearing a grey button up shirt.
Justus Polson-Lachache is the director of public relation for the Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke and said their public service announcements have been blocked on Facebook. ( Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke)

The Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke (MCK), through a press release, said its public service announcements were blocked on Facebook.

“Social media for us has become one of our biggest mechanisms to deliver information to the community and its definitely hindering how we inform our community members,” said Justus Polson-Lahache, director of public relations for MCK, told CBC Indigenous.

He said MCK, which represents the Kanien’kehá:ka (Mohawk) communitysouth of Montreal, is not a news organization and should be allowed to share content on social platforms.

Polson-Lahache said there are about 8,000 people in Kahnawà:ke and Facebook was a vital tool to communicate instantly with them.

He said the community’s public service announcements are still broadcast over radio and published in newspapers and local media, but the ban on Facebook prevents a two-way conversation.

Sandy Maloney, host of Shubie FM, a local radio station in Sipekne’katikik and said she used her Facebook page to share other Canadian news the Mi’kmaw community may find interesting.

Meta’s ban doesn’t affect her business operations as much because she’s still able to stream and broadcast on the radio waves and her website. But Facebook was a quick way to engage with her audience and now she can’t do that as well, Maloney said.

“It just kind of angers me, it just gets me like, are you kidding?” said Maloney of Meta’s decision.

 

728x90x4

Source link

Continue Reading

News

Andy Murray withdraws from Olympic tennis singles and will only play doubles at the Paris Games

Published

 on

 

PARIS (AP) — Two-time Olympic tennis gold medalist Andy Murray pulled out of singles at the Paris Games on Thursday and only will compete in doubles with Dan Evans.

Murray, a 37-year-old from Britain, has said these Olympics will be the final event of his career.

He’s dealt with a series of injuries, including a hip replacement in 2019, and most recently needed surgery last month to remove a cyst from his spine.

Murray pulled out of singles at Wimbledon this month and played one match in doubles alongside his older brother, Jamie.

“I’ve take the decision to withdraw from the singles to concentrate on the doubles with Dan. Our practice has been great and we’re playing well together,” Murray said Thursday. “Really looking forward to getting started and representing GB one more time.”

His withdrawal announcement came shortly before the draw for the Olympics tennis tournament. Play begins Saturday.

Murray won singles gold medals at London in 2012 and Rio de Janeiro in 2016, making him the only tennis player with two.

___

See AP’s Olympics coverage at

The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Source link

Continue Reading

News

Aircraft maker Bombardier reports Q2 profit and revenue grow from year ago

Published

 on

 

MONTREAL – Bombardier Inc. reported a second-quarter profit of US$19 million, up from a loss of US$35 million a year earlier, as its revenue grew 32 per cent.

The Montreal-based aircraft maker, which keeps its books in U.S. dollars, says the profit amounted to 12 cents US per diluted share for the quarter ended June 30, up from a loss of 44 cents US per diluted share in the same quarter last year.

Revenue totalled US$2.20 billion, up from US$1.68 billion.

The company says it delivered 39 aircraft for the quarter and remains on track to reach its planned guidance for the year, while its services revenue rose 18 per cent compared with a year ago.

On an adjusted basis, Bombardier says it earned US$1.04 per diluted share, up from an adjusted profit of 72 cents US per diluted share a year earlier.

Bombardier says its order backlog stood at US$14.9 billion at June 30, up from US$14.2 billion at Dec. 31, 2023.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 25, 2024.

Companies in this story: (TSX:BBD.B)

The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Source link

Continue Reading

News

Loblaw’s second quarter profit down after agreeing to settle price-fixing lawsuit

Published

 on

 

BRAMPTON, Ont. – Grocery and drugstore retailer Loblaw Cos. Ltd. reported its second-quarter profit decreased compared with a year ago.

The parent company of Loblaws and Shoppers Drug Mart says it earned a profit available to common shareholders of $457 million or $1.48 per diluted share for the quarter ended June 15.

The result was down from $508 million or $1.58 per diluted share in the same quarter last year, which Loblaw attributed primarily to charges related to the settlement of class action lawsuits. On Thursday, the grocer announced it and parent company George Weston Ltd. have agreed to pay $500-million to settle a class-action lawsuit regarding their involvement in an alleged bread price-fixing scheme.

Revenue for the quarter totalled $13.95 billion, up from $13.74 billion a year earlier.

Food retail same-stores sales rose by 0.2 per cent, while drug retail same-store sales increased by 1.5 per cent, with front store same-store sales down 2.4 per cent and pharmacy and health-care services same-store sales up 5.4 per cent.

On an adjusted basis, Loblaw says it earned $2.15 per diluted share in its latest quarter, up from an adjusted profit of $1.94 per diluted share a year earlier.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 25, 2024.

Companies in this story: (TSX:L)

The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending