MIDDLESEX CENTRE, ONT. —
The COVID-19 case count in Middlesex-London hit 600 on Thursday, with five new cases reported in the region for the third day in a row.
Four cases are in the City of London, with that total climbing to 560.
Middlesex-London Health Unit Medical Officer of Health Dr. Chris Mackie says all the cases are linked to other known cases.
Of the total, 465 have recovered and there have been a total of 57 deaths, though none in recent days.
An outbreak at Chelsey Park Retirement Centre was declared over on Wednesday, leaving just two active outbreaks in the region, at Kensington Village and PeopleCare Oakcrossing.
Long-term care and retirement homes are linked to 176 local cases, including four of the new cases reported Thursday, all four of which were staff at seniors’ facilities, including three at one location.
One new COVID-19 case was reported in Sarnia-Lambton as of Wednesday night, raising the total there to 279, with 239 recovered and 25 deaths.
A second outbreak has been declared in Sarnia, this one at Bluewater Health, where three staff members have reportedly tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
One new case was reported in Grey and Bruce counties as of Wednesday, bringing the total there to 102 cases, including 93 recovered and no deaths.
That total includes two presumptive cases that are awaiting confirmation.
There was no change in the numbers for Elgin and Oxford counties reported on Thursday. Southwestern Public Health says the totals held at 82 cases, with 70 resolved and four deaths.
The numbers from Huron Perth Public Health also saw no change Thursday, holding at 57 cases, 49 recovered and five deaths.
Ontario reported some of its lowest numbers in nearly three months, with 173 cases and just three deaths in the last 24 hours.
COVID-19 Bulletin #127 – news.gov.mb.ca
Need More Info?
Public information, contact Manitoba Government Inquiry: 1-866-626-4862 or 204-945-3744.
Media requests for general information, contact Communications Services Manitoba: 204-945-3765.
Media requests for ministerial comment, contact Communications and Stakeholder Relations: 204-945-4916.
Stay vigilant, Manitoba: top doc warns of second COVID-19 wave – Winnipeg Free Press
With zero COVID-19 cases reported thus far in July, Manitoba’s top doctor is warning people not to be complacent about the novel coronavirus — and to brace for the fall.
Dr. Brent Roussin says Manitoba could be hit with a second wave of COVID-19 worse than the 325 cases reported so far in the first.
“Manitoba’s numbers remain favourable, but we need to remain vigilant to keep those numbers low,” Roussin said at a news conference Thursday. He reported there are only four active cases in the province, none of which are hospitalized, and 314 people have recovered.
“Manitobans are well-versed in the things that have led to our flattening of the curve: hand hygiene, physical distancing and, most importantly, now as we move forward, is to stay home when we’re ill,” Roussin said. ”This is going to be vital to our success.
“We can’t have people with symptoms of respiratory illness going to work or to school. We need to ensure we’re protecting everyone and staying home when ill.”
Even if there are no active cases in Manitoba, people can’t let their guard down: a lot more COVID-19 cases are expected, he warned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?rel=0&wmode=transparent” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen>
“We need to prepare to see an increase in cases in the fall, higher than even our first wave, possibly,” the chief provincial public health officer said. “We’re going to do whatever we can to not get back into an area where we were in March and April, with large shutdowns.
“We want to learn how to live with this virus.”
That means reducing the risk — especially for those most susceptible to severe outcomes. Health officials are working on a messaging campaign urging residents to get a seasonal flu shot and, if they have symptoms, to get tested for COVID-19 and stay home.
“The early identification of cases is vital so we can do that contact tracing, we can isolate cases,” Roussin said. “We’re going to be getting Manitobans prepared to see increased absenteeism at work and increased absenteeism at school, because we want those people to be at home when they’re ill.”
The province has increased its stockpile of personal protective equipment and has “a much better system of tracking our stores of PPE,” Roussin said.
“Even if we see influenza A activity in November and not COVID, we don’t know that COVID won’t be here in December or January, so we’re going to need to treat this upcoming respiratory (flu) season as a COVID season until proven otherwise.”
Carol Sanders’ reporting on newcomers to Canada has made international headlines, earned national recognition but most importantly it’s shared the local stories of the growing diversity of people calling Manitoba home.
Edmonton zone COVID-19 deaths climb to 20 as Alberta announces 37 more coronavirus cases – Global News
EDITOR’S NOTE: This headline originally said Edmonton has recorded 20 COVID-19 deaths. It has been corrected to say the Edmonton zone has recorded 20 deaths. We regret the error.
Alberta Health announced three additional COVID-19 deaths on Thursday, all linked to a coronavirus outbreak at Edmonton’s Misericordia Hospital.
The deaths brings the total number of COVID-19 fatalities in Alberta to 161 and in the Edmonton zone to 20.
For more information on the outbreak at the hospital in Edmonton, click here.
At the same time, health officials said 37 new COVID-19 cases have been confirmed in the province over the past 24 hours. Currently, there are 584 active cases in Alberta.
The Calgary zone currently has the most actives cases of the disease with 220, and the Edmonton zone is close behind with 215. There are 90 active cases in the South zone, 42 in the North zone, 11 in the Central zone and there are six cases that have not been connected to any particular zone.
Forty-six Albertans are currently in hospital with COVID-19 and seven of those are in intensive care units.
As of Thursday afternoon, 507,169 coronavirus tests had been conducted in Alberta since the pandemic first hit the province in March.
Of Alberta’s total of 8,519 confirmed COVID-19 cases, 7,774 have seen people recover.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
COVID-19 Bulletin #127 – news.gov.mb.ca
'The art was lonely:' Ottawa galleries, museums begin to reopen – OttawaMatters.com
Popular West Island pub asks recent patrons to monitor health after employee tests positive for COVID-19 – CTV News Montreal
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019 – report – MINING.com
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Tech21 hours ago
Ninja has started streaming Fortnite on YouTube
- News17 hours ago
New coronavirus cases, deaths continue to decline in Canada as cases top 106,400
- Sports18 hours ago
Montoyo urges Blue Jays to be among teams pulled together by pandemic
- Sports19 hours ago
MLS returns to action after poignant moment of silence to protest racial injustice
- Tech18 hours ago
Microsoft Teams unleashes a flood of new features for video meetings
- Politics21 hours ago
The semiconductor industry is where politics gets real for Taiwan
- Health20 hours ago
Moderna Completes Enrollment of Phase 2 Study of its mRNA Vaccine Against COVID-19 (mRNA-1273)
- News21 hours ago
Calgary hailstorm that caused $1.2B in damage ranks as Canada’s 4th costliest natural disaster