Connect with us

Health

Mosquitoes test positive for West Nile virus in St. Marys: public health – CTV Toronto

Published

on


KITCHENER —
Mosquitoes collected from a trap in Perth County have tested positive for West Nile virus (WNV), a news release from the Huron Perth Public Health unit said Wednesday.

It’s the second finding of the season: last week, a mosquito in Mitchell tested positive for the virus.

Now public health officials are reminding the public to protect themselves from mosquito bites.

“It’s not surprising to see positive mosquito pools in the month of August,” said Public Health Inspector Kaitlyn Kelly in a news release.

“The second positive mosquito report serves as a reminder that WNV is present in our communities and it is important to reduce your risk of exposure to mosquitoes and protect yourself against bites.”

The public health unit says that no confirmed cases of WNV have been reported this year, but on Tuesday, Toronto reported its first case of the virus in a human.

Some people who are bitten by an infected mosquito won’t show any symptoms, but most who do experience mild illness.

About one in 150 people will get seriously ill with symptoms including high fever, muscle weakness, vision loss, coma or death.

Symptoms tend to develop between two days and two weeks after being bitten by an infected mosquito. The people at highest risk of getting the virus are people with a weakened immune system or those over 50.

Officials are reminding the public to use insect repellant with DEET, wearing light-coloured clothing with long sleeves and pants, and to take extra precautions around dusk or dawn.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Montreal and Quebec City will enter red zone soon: Dubé – Montreal Gazette

Published

on


Article content continued

“They’re decisions that will be very difficult, but we have to make them,” Dubé said.

On Sunday, Quebec had 71,901 confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 4,937 were active and 5,825 had died. Of the active cases, 216 were in hospital, and of those 41 were in intensive care. The number of people in hospitals has increased 57 per cent in a week.

A total of 27,380 people tested on Friday, for a cumulative total of 2,260,835 people tested to date.

The rising number of infections underlines the need for people to forgo social gatherings, said Dr. Jay Kaufman, an epidemiologist at McGill University.

Get-togethers with friends and family functions are likely the main cause of the recent uptick in the spread of the virus, which is seeing its highest numbers since cases peaked in April and May, he said.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Montreal and Quebec City will be upgraded to red alert 'in coming days', says Dubé – CBC.ca

Published

on


Montreal and Quebec City will be upgraded to the highest COVID-19 alert level “in the coming days” according to provincial Health Minister Christian Dubé.

He confirmed the two cities would move from orange to red alert while speaking on Radio-Canada’s popular Sunday night talk show, Tout le monde en parle.

“Montreal and Quebec City are the hardest hit areas at the moment. They’re very close to the red zone,” he said. “We’re going to announce in the coming days because I think we’ve arrived at that point. We’re there and we have to act because people are expecting us to be transparent.”

Dubé said that difficult decisions lie ahead but didn’t give details on exactly what the red zone restrictions would look like.

The number of COVID-19 infections in the province continues to surge, with Quebec reporting 896 new cases on Sunday. 

The island of Montreal has the most new cases at 375. The Quebec City area clocks in at 120 and the Montérégie has 83 new cases.

Dubé and public health officials have been calling on people to stop socializing for the next month in order to slow the spread of the virus.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Possible COVID-19 exposures at two Winnipeg schools – CTV News Winnipeg

Published

on


WINNIPEG —
Public health officials are advising Manitobans about a possible COVID-19 exposure at two Winnipeg Schools.

According to the province, a person with a confirmed case of COVID-19 was in École Précieux-Sang on Sept. 18.

The province also announced a possible exposure at Sisler High School on Sept. 18.

In both cases, health officials warned that the individuals might have been infectious at the time.

The province is deeming both exposures as low risk, citing the virus was not acquired at either school.

According to the province, both schools are working closely with public health officials and following their recommendations.

Anyone identified as a close contact will be contacted and provided instructions for self-isolation.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending