Naomi Osaka said she had felt “ungrateful” at times over the last year for not fully appreciating her life as one of the world’s top tennis players.
The world number two sealed a comeback victory over Coco Gauff at the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati on Wednesday, her first event outside the Olympics since withdrawing from the French Open in May.
She pulled out of Roland Garros after being punished for refusing to do media conferences, saying her mental health was adversely impacted by certain lines of questioning.
Osaka shed tears and briefly left a press conference in Cincinnati on Monday when asked about her relationship with the media and returned to the theme on Wednesday.
“I was wondering why was I so affected, I guess, like what made me not want to do media,” the 23-year-old told a news conference.
“I’m wondering if I was scared, because sometimes I would see headlines of like players losing and then the headline the next day would be like a collapse or they’re not that great anymore.
“So then I was thinking me waking up every day, for me, I should feel like I’m winning. Like, the choice to go out there and play, to go see fans that people come out and watch me play, that itself is an accomplishment.
“I’m not sure when along the way I started desensitizing that. Like it started not being like an accomplishment for me. So I felt like I was very ungrateful on that fact.”
The four-times Grand Slam champion said the restrictions imposed due to the COVID-19 pandemic had made things “really stressful” her but recent events in Haiti and Afghanistan led to a change in her outlook.
A 7.2-magnitude earthquake has killed more than 2,000 people in Haiti — the country where her father was born — while Afghanistan has been in turmoil.
“Seeing the state of the world, like how everything is in Haiti, Afghanistan right now, is definitely really crazy,” she said.
“And for me to just be hitting a tennis ball in the United States right now and have people come and watch me play … I would want to be myself in this situation rather than anyone else in the world.”
Riders' offence comes to life in win over Argonauts – TSN
REGINA — The Saskatchewan Roughriders ended a frustrating touchdown drought Friday in a 30-16 victory over the Toronto Argonauts.
The Riders entered the game having not scored a touchdown since the third quarter of a 23-10 victory over the Ottawa RedBlacks on Aug. 21. The streak, which included back-to-back defeats against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, ended when Cody Fajardo scored on a quarterback sneak on Saskatchewan’s first possession of the game.
Receiver Brayden Lenius increased Saskatchewan’s lead to 15-3 early in the second quarter when he hauled in 12-yard touchdown pass from Fajardo. Tailback William Powell set up the touchdown with a 33-yard run.
The Riders defence come up with three turnovers in the first half. Elie Bouka and Deon Lacey both forced fumbles that Saskatchewan recovered. The Riders also had a goal-line stand late in the second quarter, stopping Toronto quarterback Nick Arbuckle on a quarterback sneak from the one-yard line and running back John White on the following play.
Toronto trimmed the Saskatchewan lead to 18-9 with a six-play, 66-yard scoring drive to open the second half. Receiver DaVaris Daniels played a big role in the drive, catching three passes for 60 yards including a 21-yard touchdown reception.
Rookie receiver Kian Schaffer-Baker had a breakout game for the Riders, catching nine passes for 99 yards. He scored his first CFL touchdown in the fourth quarter, catching a short pass and breaking a number of tackles en route to a 24-yard score. Fajardo connected with Mitchell Picton on a two-point convert attempt to increase the Riders lead to 26-9.
Arbuckle tossed his second touchdown pass of the game four minutes into the fourth quarter, connecting with Eric Rogers on an 18-yard play. The major narrowed the Riders lead to 27-16.
Powell finished with 122 rushing yards on 21 carries. He had an impressive first half, gaining 86 yards on 13 carries.
Fajardo completed 21-of-31 passes for 212 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. He also had 58 yards rushing on eight carries.
Riders kicker Brett Lauther was 2 for 4 on field-goal attempts, connecting from 23 and 24 yards while missing from 46 and 41 yards.
Micah Johnson, Deon Lacey, Keion Adams and Jonathan Woodard recorded sacks for the Riders while Nick Marshall had an interception.
Charleston Hughes and Dewayne Hendrix had sacks for the Argos. Crezdon Butler had an interception.
Arbuckle finished with 309 yards passing, connecting on 22-of-33 attempts. He had two touchdown passes and one interception.
Argos linebacker Cameron Judge was injured six minutes into the game after suffering an apparent leg injury.
Elks name Cornelius as starting QB for injured Harris – TSN
Taylor Cornelius will get the starting nod at quarterback when the Edmonton Elks face the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on Saturday.
The 26-year-old quarterback has not taken any snaps for the Elks this season, but has three carries and rushed for two yards in five games played.
Cornelius previously played for the Tampa Bay Vipers of the XFL where he threw for 858 yards with four touchdowns and six interceptions in five games played.
The Amarillo, TX native will be replacing starting quarterback Trevor Harris, who was placed on the six-injured list after sustaining a neck injury during September 11th loss against the Calgary Stampeders.
Harris has thrown for 1481 yards with six touchdowns and five interceptions over five games this season.
Patrick Kane says he didn’t know in 2010 about assault allegations – Sportsnet.ca
Editor’s note: The following story contains references to sexual assault which may be distressing. Please exercise discretion before reading.
CHICAGO — Blackhawks star Patrick Kane said Friday he has participated in the investigation into allegations that a then-assistant coach sexually assaulted two players in 2010, adding that he did not know anything happened at the time.
“Obviously very serious allegations, and everyone knows that,” Kane said at the annual NHL/NHLPA preseason player media tour. “But I will say that I didn’t know anything about it at the time and did participate with the investigation.”
Kane’s comments were his first since the allegations came to light. The Blackhawks launched the investigation led by a former federal prosecutor and pledged to release the findings.
The three-time Stanley Cup champion said he also was unaware of homophobic bullying of one of his former teammates that ensued.
“Obviously disturbing,” Kane said. “You never want to hear that type of stuff. I feel for (someone making) those type of allegations. And hopefully it didn’t affect the player too much. But I’m sure when you’re hearing that type of stuff, obviously it could affect you deep down.”
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly told The Associated Press the Blackhawks investigation was proceeding but did not have a timeframe for when it would be completed. The team pledged to release the findings of the investigation, a decision the league supports.
“We probably would have supported the decision if it was different, if it was made for the right reasons,” Daly said. “Since these allegations arose, I think the Blackhawks as an organization have handled everything in the right way and they’ve taken the proper steps. We’ll see at the end of the day what comes of it.”
Two lawsuits were filed against the team earlier this year. The first alleges sexual assault by trainer Bradley Aldrich during the team’s run to the 2010 Stanley Cup title, and the second was filed by a former student whom Aldrich was later convicted of assaulting in Michigan.
According to reports, two Blackhawks players told then-skills coach Paul Vincent in May 2010 of inappropriate behaviour by Aldrich. Vincent said he asked mental skills coach James Gary to follow up with the players and management.
Vincent was called into a meeting with then-team President John McDonough, general manager Stan Bowman, hockey executive Al MacIsaac and Gary the next day. He said he asked the team to report the allegations to Chicago police, and the request was denied.
In an email to the AP earlier this summer, Vincent said he stands by everything he said.
Bowman and former coach Joel Quenneville, who’s now with Florida, have said they would cooperate with the investigation.
Teetering property developer Evergrande sparks contagion fears for China's economy – CBC.ca
In politics, it’s all about the image – especially in 2021 – The Globe and Mail
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Friday – CBC.ca
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Health19 hours ago
Prepping Your Home for the Canadian Winter
Health15 hours ago
'Absolutely gut-wrenching:' Waterloo Region child under the age of 10 dies after contracting COVID-19 – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News
Health16 hours ago
88 new COVID-19 cases in Manitoba Friday; more than half not vaccinated – CTV News Winnipeg
Politics24 hours ago
Pandemic politics fuel long-shot Republican challenges to Texas Gov. Greg Abbott – NBC News
Art19 hours ago
Jidar, Rabat's street art festival draws international attention | | AW – The Arab Weekly
News24 hours ago
B.C. says it can't take patients from Alberta's overwhelmed ICUs – CBC.ca
Sports23 hours ago
Ticats list Watford as starting QB vs. Stampeders – TSN
Sports13 hours ago
Blue Jays right-hander Berrios won’t miss any time after abdominal scare – Sportsnet.ca