Connect with us

Health

Nova Scotia reports another COVID-19 death, 2 new cases of virus – CTV News

Published

on


HALIFAX —
Nova Scotia has reported another death related to COVID-19 and two new cases of the virus.

The province says the death involves a woman in her 80s who had underlying health conditions.

She died in the Nova Scotia Health Authority’s central zone, but she was not a resident of Northwood, or any other long-term care home.

Fifty-nine people have now died from COVID-19 in Nova Scotia. Fifty-two of those deaths have been at Halifax’s Northwood long-term care home, which has seen the most significant outbreak in the province.

2 new cases of COVID-19; province clarifies numbers

The province also reported two new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, which brings the total number of cases to 1,052.

“Both of these cases were known contacts of a previous case, so we know how they got exposed,” said Chief Medical Officer Dr. Robert Strang during a news conference in Halifax on Tuesday.

“There’s no indication that they were exposed in sort of general community exposure, which is good news.”

There was some confusion surrounding the number of new cases and total number of confirmed cases being reported by the province on Tuesday.

On Monday, a total of 1,051 confirmed cases were reported. While two new cases were reported on Tuesday, the province was only reporting a total of 1,052 cases — not 1,053.

Strang addressed the discrepancy during Tuesday’s news conference, saying a positive case at Northwood was later found to be negative.

“The testing … done by the lab is very accurate but no test is perfect. That means there’s always a small chance for a test to have an inaccurate or an indeterminate result,” said Strang.

“In examination of one of our more recent cases, as we’re testing the residents and staff at Northwood, we did have a case that had been reported negative for a period of time, then had a positive test, then was followed up by a negative test. As we examined that closely with the lab, it was determined that this was a false positive test.”

976 people recovered

The QEII Health Sciences Centre’s microbiology lab completed 573 tests on Monday.

To date, Nova Scotia has 38,999 negative test results.

Two more people have recovered from the virus, with a total of 976 people now recovered from COVID-19. This leaves 17 active cases in Nova Scotia, 15 of which are connected to Northwood.

Northwood currently has 11 residents and four staff members with active cases of COVID-19. 

No other long-term care facilities have active cases of the virus at this time.

This leaves only two active cases outside of Northwood.

The province says one more person has been admitted to hospital. Seven people are now in hospital and three of those patients are in intensive care units.

CTV News has reached out to the province for clarity on hospitalizations and whether there are Northwood residents in hospital. The province has not yet responded to requests for that information.

The confirmed cases range in age from under 10 to over 90.

Sixty-two per cent of cases are female and 38 per cent are male.

The latest cases were confirmed in the central zone, which contains the Halifax Regional Municipality and has seen the most significant number of cases.

The western, northern and eastern zones are seeing no additional cases at this time.

  • western zone: 54 cases
  • central zone: 903 cases
  • northern zone: 44 cases
  • eastern zone: 51 cases

Public health is working to identify and test people who may have come in close contact with the confirmed cases.

List of symptoms expanded

Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 is required to self-isolate at home, away from the public for 14 days.

Anyone who travels outside of Nova Scotia must also self-isolate for two weeks.

Last week, the province expanded the list of symptoms for which it is screening.

Anyone who experiences one of the following symptoms is encouraged to take an online test to determine if they should call 811 for further assessment:

  • fever (i.e. chills, sweats)
  • cough or worsening of a previous cough
  • sore throat
  • headache
  • shortness of breath
  • muscle aches
  • sneezing
  • nasal congestion/runny nose
  • hoarse voice
  • diarrhea
  • unusual fatigue
  • loss of sense of smell or taste
  • red, purple or blueish lesions on the feet, toes or fingers without clear cause

The provincial state of emergency, which was first declared on March 22, has been extended to May 31.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Nova Scotia researchers to evaluate treatments for moderate, severe COVID-19 – TheChronicleHerald.ca

Published

on



A Nova Scotia study will look into the effectiveness of treatments for hospital patients suffering from moderate to severe COVID-19. 

The study, called CO-VIC for COVID victory, will involve about 600 patients from Nova Scotia Health Authority sites across the province, an NSHA news release said Monday. 

The study, which the authority is doing in conjunction with Dalhousie University, will test out potential therapies and their impact on COVID-19 symptoms. 

“When additional cutting-edge therapies become available, they will also be assessed,” the release said. “Personalized measurements of immune response will help develop future therapies and predict when and how severe COVID-19 happens.”

The work, which is being led by infectious disease clinician and researcher Dr. Lisa Barrett, aims to advance our understanding of how the immune system responds to COVID and help develop future treatments and second-wave vaccines.

 “We need the best knowledge of treatments and immunity, to save lives now and in the future as we continue to fight COVID-19.”

– CO-VIC study leader Dr. Lisa Barrett

CO-VIC is partially funded by the Nova Scotia COVID-19 Health Research Coalition.

 “As COVID-19 related deaths increase in the older population, in the young who didn’t ever expect to be ill, and in health care workers, our research community feels the overwhelming urgency to protect Nova Scotians with research that tests treatments, predicts disease, and promotes understanding of immunity,” Barrett said in the release.

 “We need the best knowledge of treatments and immunity, to save lives now and in the future as we continue to fight COVID-19.”

The NSHA called the treatment study an integral part of Nova Scotia’s pandemic response. Compared with other provinces, Nova Scotia’s population includes a high proportion of vulnerable people who are older, have underlying respiratory conditions or are immunosuppressed.

“These are all people at higher risk of severe COVID-19 disease and this work may aid in protecting our population.”

Most Nova Scotians will be eligible to take part at hospitals outside traditional research facilities to ensure fair access to research and potential therapies, the release said. 

“While data will be gathered from Nova Scotians, for Nova Scotians, the study is designed to mirror larger international trials to promote the comparison of global data. This will allow the research team to leverage international information so it can be applied here in Nova Scotia.”

For more information, visit the study website

RELATED:

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

No new coronavirus deaths reported in Ottawa on Monday, public health unit says – Globalnews.ca

Published

on


Physical distancing continues to be effective in Ottawa, according to the local public health unit’s latest dashboard metrics tracking the spread of the novel coronavirus in the nation’s capital.

Ottawa Public Health said it identified 11 lab-confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus in its latest daily report — and 27 new cases in total over the weekend — bringing the number of positive tests in the city up to 1,962 as of 2 p.m. on Sunday.

There were no new deaths related to COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, reported in Ottawa on Monday, keeping the city’s pandemic death toll at 244.


READ MORE:
No ‘mask police’ when face coverings become mandatory on Ottawa transit, officials say

There are currently 38 people in hospital with COVID-19 locally, while 82 per cent of all cases are now considered resolved.

Story continues below advertisement

There are 18 ongoing outbreaks in institutions around Ottawa.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

OPH’s COVID-19 dashboard, which tracks local testing and hospital capacity as well as other key metrics to monitor the spread of the virus in Ottawa, indicates a positive trend in the public health unit’s contact tracing efforts.

OPH is currently able to follow up with and investigate 100 per cent of contacts for every new case in the 24 hours following a positive test.






6:05
Coronavirus: How fast is too fast for reopening?


Coronavirus: How fast is too fast for reopening?

The number of average contacts per new case is also down to 3.1, pointing to the success of Ottawa’s physical distancing measures.

Public health officials have noted that as Ontario’s economy reopens and residents increase their social activities, there is a risk of infection rates rising and effectively losing ground against the virus.

Story continues below advertisement

According to the OPH dashboard, Ottawa remains in “orange” territory, which indicates “some” control over the virus.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Nova Scotia municipal offices implement safety measures to reopen amid COVID-19 – CBC.ca

Published

on


Several Nova Scotia municipalities that have been shut down since the province declared a state of emergency in March have either reopened their administrative buildings to the public or are planning to in the near future.

Officials in the Town of Trenton reopened with limited hours on Monday so some residents could pay their property taxes in person before the end of June.

But a number of municipal buildings have new restrictions to keep staff and the public safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

In the Region of Queens Municipality, which also reopened on Monday, public access is limited to one set of doors. Only one member of the public is allowed inside the building at one time, unless the person needs assistance.

In the Municipality of Pictou County, officials also planed to reopen on June 1. Safety glass has been installed at customer counters, the seating has been removed and the number of people allowed in the foyer will be limited.

On the other hand, the Town of Pictou has what it calls a “slow reopening plan.” The public will have access to its offices starting on June 8, but hours will be limited for the first week.

In the Municipality of the District of Guysborough, municipal staff returned to the building on Monday, but it will not be open to the public until June 15.

Others are taking an even more cautious approach. In Berwick, municipal staff will only resume working at the town hall on a full-time basis once the province lifts the state of emergency.

MORE TOP STORIES

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending