Connect with us

Health

Nova Scotia’s presumed consent law for organ donation to go into effect on Jan. 18 – Globalnews.ca

Published

on


Nova Scotia announced Tuesday that its new Human Organ and Tissue Donation Act will come into effect on Jan. 18, 2021.

The goal is to allow more residents to donate their organs at their time of death through presumed or “deemed consent.”

Starting in January, unless a person explicitly denies donating, and the decision is recorded on their health card, they will be seen as agreeing to be a donor after death.

The province first passed the law in April 2019.

The announcement that the law will come into effect in January, means Nova Scotia will be the first jurisdiction in North America to have a presumed consent law.

READ MORE: Should Canada have presumed consent for organ donations? Here are the pros and cons

“Providing the opportunity for donation at end-of-life is an important part of optimal end-of-life care,” says Dr. Stephen Beed, the Medical Director of the Nova Scotia Organ and Tissue Donation Program.

Story continues below advertisement

Beed told Global News that he believes this will make Nova Scotia a leader.

“I hope we have a system that provides some good in the middle of what’s otherwise nothing but bad news,” he said.

Beed said the new law will allow “better care for potential donor families and better care for people who are presently awaiting a transplant.”






0:47
Nova Scotia legislature passes presumed consent law for organ donation


Nova Scotia legislature passes presumed consent law for organ donation

A news release says as of Monday, there are 108 Nova Scotians waiting for an organ transplant.

Last year, only 53 residents received an organ donation.

The province said in a news release, “a single organ donor can save up to eight lives, and a single tissue donor can help up to 75 people.”

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
Protecting transplant patients from COVID-19 leads to delays in life-changing surgeries 

Organs that can be donated include kidneys, heart, lungs, liver, pancreas and small bowel, according to the release. Donor tissues include corneas, sclera, skin, heart valves, bone, cartilage, tendons and ligaments.

There are several exclusions to the new law.

People who are under 19 years old, those without decision-making capacity and those who have lived in the province for less than a year, are exempt from deemed consent.






2:03
N.S. to become 1st in North America to adopt presumed consent for organ donations


N.S. to become 1st in North America to adopt presumed consent for organ donations

Beed says Nova Scotians are largely supportive of organ donation according to NSHA’s surveys.

The new system, he says, is designed to encourage donation but also support those who choose to not be a donor.

Story continues below advertisement

Those who know they want to donate will still be able to indicate so through their health cards.

Read more:
Timberlea man is Nova Scotia’s first convalescent plasma donor

The province will launch an awareness campaign in early July to inform residents of the upcoming changes to the Human Organ and Tissue Donation Act.

“This change will help more people get the good news they have been waiting for and ensure more potential donors have the chance to save and improve lives,” said Premier Stephen McNeil in the release.

Beed says he is proud of the new system and that Nova Scotia has a unique opportunity to be the first to do this as the rest of the country takes note.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Alberta to provide COVID-19 update Wednesday afternoon – Global News

Published

on


As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, Alberta’s chief medical officer of health will provide an update on the province’s number of new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus Wednesday afternoon.

Dr. Deena Hinshaw will provide the update at 3:30 p.m.

The news conference will be streamed live in this article.

Read more:
85 additional cases of COVID-19 in Alberta Tuesday, over half of them recorded in the Edmonton zone

On Tuesday, the province saw a slight decrease in active cases, with 85 people testing positive for COVID-19, bringing the provincial total to 1,004, 84 less than the day before.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Of those active cases, 64 people were in hospital with the virus and 14 people were receiving treatment in intensive care.

Story continues below advertisement

Since Alberta’s first confirmed case of the novel coronavirus back in March, as of Aug. 11, Alberta has recorded 11,772, of those, 10,552 Albertans have recovered.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Four new COVID-19 cases in Waterloo Region on Wednesday – KitchenerToday.com

Published

on


Region of Waterloo Public Health reported four new cases of the coronavirus on Wednesday morning.

Two are due to community transmission, while the other pair are tied to travel.

So far this week, there have been 12 new cases, and a total of 1,410 since March.

The number of active cases increased by three to 25, with two of those cases currently receiving treatment in hospital.

One more case has also been resolved, improving that total to 1,263.

A total of 119 local deaths have been linked to the virus, but there have been no additional deaths reported since July 17.

Meantime, an outbreak remains active at A.R. Goudie long-term care – a resident tested positive, but no more residents or staff have since it was first declared on August 3.

Here’s the provincial COVID-19 breakdown for Wednesday:

  • 40,289 total cases (95 new)
  • 49 people are being treated in hospital
  • 36,590 resolved cases
  • 2,787 deaths (one new)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Cape Breton's Route 19 brewery closed indefinitely after customer failed to self-isolate – Global News

Published

on


A brewery in Inverness, N.S., says it’s closing until further notice after a customer visited the restaurant on Sunday while failing to self-isolate after travelling to the province.

The Nova Scotia government still requires anyone travelling from outside of the four Atlantic provinces to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival as a precautionary measure against the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Read more:
Nova Scotia reports no new coronavirus cases on Tuesday

Stefan Gagliardi, chief beer officer at the Route 19 Brewing Tap and Grill, told Global News on Wednesday that the brewery will remain closed as a precautionary measure.

“We found out (someone failed to self-isolate) through one of our employees who overheard a conversation elsewhere later on Sunday, and they brought it up to us,” he said over the phone.

Story continues below advertisement

RCMP investigated and confirmed to Global News that they have charged a 38-year-old woman from British Columbia under the province’s Health Protection Act, which carries a $1,000 fine.






2:14
Nova Scotians who work away from home frustrated, confused by self-isolation rules


Nova Scotians who work away from home frustrated, confused by self-isolation rules

Gagliardi said that the Nova Scotia Health Authority has told staff and visitors to Route 19 on Sunday to monitor for symptoms and to go to the 811 website for further direction if symptoms develop.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

The brewery was told it didn’t need to close as it was not a confirmed case of coronavirus, but it still left workers feeling uncertain.

It doesn’t feel good. It’s not a good feeling because our staff didn’t feel safe,” he said.

“As a business and, you know, our staff together, we decided we weren’t willing to take that risk.”

Story continues below advertisement

The facility was thoroughly sanitized on Monday morning but the restaurant will remain closed until further notice.

READ MORE: Coronavirus took their lives. Here’s how their families will remember them

The closure will affect about 30 people including, kitchen and cleaning crews, bartenders, waiters and waitresses, Gagliardi said.

He says that people should follow the health recommendations set out by the province.

“It just affects us in a way that feels a little bit unfair because everybody is trying to do their best,” he said.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending