Scott Boras on client Austin Martin signing with the Blue Jays
July 09 2020
BELGRADE, Serbia — The top-ranked men’s tennis player in the world has tested positive for COVID-19.
Novak Djokovic tested positive for the coronavirus on Tuesday after taking part in a tennis exhibition series he organized in Serbia and Croatia.
The Serb is the fourth player to contract the virus after first playing in Belgrade and then again last weekend in Zadar, Croatia. His wife also tested positive for COVID-19.
“The moment we arrived in Belgrade we went to be tested. My result is positive, just as Jelena’s, while the results of our children are negative,” Djokovic said in a statement.
Novak Djokovic and his wife Jelena tested positive for the coronavirus. He apologizes pic.twitter.com/9iAKFmGprt
— David Waldstein (@DavidWaldstein) June 23, 2020
Djokovic has been criticized for organizing the tournament and bringing in players from other countries amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Viktor Troicki said Tuesday that he and his pregnant wife have both been diagnosed with the coronavirus, while Grigor Dimitrov, a three-time Grand Slam semifinalist from Bulgaria, said Sunday he tested positive. Borna Coric played Dimitrov on Saturday in Zadar and said Monday he has also tested positive.
There were no social distancing measures observed at the matches in either country and Djokovic and other players were seen hugging each other and partying in night clubs and restaurants after the matches.
“Everything we did in the past month, we did with a pure heart and sincere intentions,” Djokovic said. “Our tournament meant to unite and share a message of solidarity and compassion throughout the region.”
Djokovic, who has previously said he was against taking a vaccine for the virus even if it became mandatory to travel, was the face behind the Adria Tour, a series of exhibition events that started in the Serbian capital and then moved to Zadar.
He left Croatia after the final was canceled and was tested in Belgrade. The statement said Djokovic was showing no symptoms.
Despite the positive test, Djokovic defended the exhibition series.
“It was all born with a philanthropic idea, to direct all raised funds towards people in need and it warmed my heart to see how everybody strongly responded to this,” Djokovic said. “We organized the tournament at the moment when the virus has weakened, believing that the conditions for hosting the Tour had been met.
“Unfortunately, this virus is still present, and it is a new reality that we are still learning to cope and live with.”
Djokovic said he will remain in self-isolation for 14 days and also apologized to anyone who became infected as a result of the series.
Organizers of the Adria Tour said the third stage of the event, scheduled to held next week in Bosnia, has been canceled.
Tiger Woods announced on Thursday that he will compete at next week’s Memorial Tournament in Dublin, Ohio, the 15-time major champion’s first PGA Tour event in five months.
“I’m looking forward to playing in the @MemorialGolf next week,” Woods said on his Twitter account. “I’ve missed going out and competing with the guys and can’t wait to get back out there.”
Woods last competed on the PGA Tour in mid-February when he labored through a final-round 77 at the Genesis Invitational where he finished last among players who made the cut.
The 44-year-old reigning Masters champion then skipped a number of events with back issues prior to the PGA Tour’s three-month COVID-19 hiatus that began in mid-March and opted to sit out the circuit’s first five events since the break.
Woods, who is one win shy of a record-breaking 83 PGA Tour victories, did play a May 24 charity match with Phil Mickelson and Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.
The Memorial Tournament at Muirfield Village is one of the most high-profile, non-major events on the PGA Tour and Woods has triumphed there a record five times, most recently in 2012.
Woods will be part of a loaded field that also includes world number one Rory McIlroy, five-times major champion Phil Mickelson, 2018 Memorial champion Bryson DeChambeau and major winners Dustin Johnson and Sergio Garcia.
The July 16-19 tournament was originally supposed to have a limited number of spectators but earlier this week the PGA Tour scrapped plans to let fans attend due to COVID-19.
When the Toronto Blue Jays drafted Austin Martin fifth overall last month, they got a rare skillset that his agent Scott Boras calls “dirt power.”
“Austin is a player that, in past drafts, could’ve likely been the No. 1 pick in the draft. He’s a unique player because he, like Kris Bryant, is so versatile because he can play infield and outfield positions and do it with great comfort,” Boras said during an appearance on Writers Bloc on Thursday. “Plus, his bat has that kind of power that you would expect more from a larger player — more of a corner outfielder — and yet he’s got infield size. We call it ‘dirt power,’ and it’s pretty rare for a player to have dirt power. I think the Blue Jays got themselves something pretty special here.”
Scott Boras on client Austin Martin signing with the Blue Jays
July 09 2020
Boras just successfully negotiated Martin’s first pro baseball contract — a deal worth just over $7 million — and will now see his client jump right into the Blue Jays’ 60-man player pool to join the club in Toronto as they train for a shortened 2020 season.
Looking at the Blue Jays’ young core right now, Boras likes what he sees.
“Mark [Shapiro] and Ross [Atkins] have done a really good job of building a foundational core where they literally have a middle of the lineup that includes players who can play the infield. When you see that in a club, where you’re going to get middle-lineup potential with players who can really fulfill infield spots, that is something that most clubs in baseball don’t have. It also opens the door for you to get slugging players, corner-outfielders, that are often more available in free agency than infielders.”
Boras, who has been critical of the Blue Jays’ dealings in recent years, said their current situation with a young roster now opens the door for management to hunt for free agent pitching and spend money on some bigger, win-now free agents because of the steady, affordable foundation built through drafting and development.
“I would say right now the Blue Jays are really in an excellent position going forward here for the next five, six years,” he said.
The Toronto Blue Jays will officially turn over the calendar on their pandemic-shortened campaign when they kick off their 2021 season against the New York Yankees.
MLB released next season’s schedule and the Jays will open their 45th season with an Opening Day divisional matchup with the Yankees on April 1, 2021.
The club will host its home opener on April 8 with a four-game weekend series against superstar Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels.
The Blue Jays will also take part in 20 interleague games (10 at home and 10 away), including a two-game series at the Rogers Centre against the 2019 World Series champion Washington Nationals.
Toronto will welcome American League East rivals Tampa Bay Rays during a long weekend series over Victoria Day (May 21 to 24).
The abbreviated 60-game 2020 season is slated to start on July 23, with the Blue Jays set to open their campaign the next day in St. Petersburg against the Rays.
Ninja has started streaming Fortnite on YouTube
New coronavirus cases, deaths continue to decline in Canada as cases top 106,400
MLS returns to action after poignant moment of silence to protest racial injustice
Montoyo urges Blue Jays to be among teams pulled together by pandemic
Microsoft Teams unleashes a flood of new features for video meetings
The semiconductor industry is where politics gets real for Taiwan
Moderna Completes Enrollment of Phase 2 Study of its mRNA Vaccine Against COVID-19 (mRNA-1273)
SpaceX aborts tenth Starlink satellite launch